As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Miyazaki [Chat]

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    You're in gold now for solo queue right? credeiki

it doesn't let me queue with silvers until i finish my placements im p sure

I'm in gold 5 but my mmr is in the shitter
    I will probably resolve the situation one way or the other this weekend though

There's two ways to win at MOBAs. You can defeat them in the game. Or in real life.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The problem with American schools is:

A) Teachers unions
    B) Too much standardized testing
    C) Not enough standardized testing
    D) Literally 40% of children come from families too poor to afford basic living expenses like fucking glasses

7rhktec66tiy.jpg

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/17/how-free-eyeglasses-are-boosting-test-scores-in-baltimore-215501

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    rice krispie squares are the most dangerous snack on the planet omg
    Couscous wrote: »
    Why isn't there an add on for social media websites that detects and blocks common meme images.

because who hates fun enough to program something like that?

The really good memes like Loss.jpg won't be easily detected by the program. It will just cull the really lazy ones.

HOLY SHIT

Let's train a neural network to recognize an image as loss.jpg or not!

I have some good QA material here

l8x56m57dsku.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    My week has gotten a little out of hand.

Wed night, Blades in the Dark at my place
    Thurs night, D&D at my place
    Fri night, co-worker's small retirement party at my place
    sat night, board gaming at my place

Hmm.

I might need to give my neighbours a break.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    lol my housemate looking at the price of one of the places she was renting in

went from 620K to 1080k in 5 years

that's 11+% yearly returns

um

when is this bubble going to pop again?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    As always, the fundamental problems in American education are due to not throwing money at the problem, or not throwing money at the right problem

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    As always, the fundamental problems in American education are due to not throwing money at the problem, or not throwing money at the right problem

Also spending money on a problem is more useful than throwing dollar bills at it.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Meanwhile

tumblr_ov9dwi8ktN1ql8t12o1_500.jpg

They don't want to be my friend desc

It's like, part of their whole ideology/identity

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

Also spending money on a problem is more useful than throwing dollar bills at it.

Unless you're training to fight a supervillain whose power is controlling a swarm of animate dollar bills

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

There's two ways to win at MOBAs. You can defeat them in the game. Or in real life.

My life suddenly splices into an anime where every episode I hunt down the enemy adc from one of my matches and either 1. kill them 2. solve their life problems, depending on what genre we're going for, I suppose

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options

My life suddenly splices into an anime where every episode I hunt down the enemy adc from one of my matches and either 1. kill them 2. solve their life problems, depending on what genre we're going for, I suppose

I was thinking 2, but 1 could work too.

• Options
    no but seriously how can that be anywhere near sustainable

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Fucking $3 g&ts right by DuPont circle

If I go to South Carolina they'll be fucking paying me to drink

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Imagine being a 12-year-old in the Baltimore program and realizing that you've been in school for six or seven years feeling stupid and being told that you're "remedial" but all you needed was a fucking pair of glasses

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'll still listen to Tay Sway before I have to listen to metal.
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    elldren, kana, Bogart

So I'm sure this was well meaning but damn if it didn't cause more than a little wince.

Oh

Oh my

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

wait...where can you get $3 g&ts around there?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Eddy wrote: »

wait...where can you get $3 g&ts around there?

Madhatter happy hour (sports bar right off the circle)

I swing by here every time I visit D.C. because of its convenient location and libations

Also there's a cute little courtyard in the back!

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Kana wrote: »
    I'll still listen to Tay Sway before I have to listen to metal.
    elldren, kana, Bogart

So I'm sure this was well meaning but damn if it didn't cause more than a little wince.

Oh

Oh my

Yo if any transfolk are looking to offload the cost of hormone replacement...

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I need to get out. Not certain about where.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Imagine being a 12-year-old in the Baltimore program and realizing that you've been in school for six or seven years feeling stupid and being told that you're "remedial" but all you needed was a fucking pair of glasses

Such a god damn crime that this is a reality in a country with so much fucking money.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    My6D7QSl.jpg

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Also, re: be friends with Nazis lady

pujewv4mncnc.jpg

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    it's not as funny when it's plain truth vowels

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Damn vowels lol.

• Options
    it's not as funny when it's plain truth vowels

I came here to win, not to make friends

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Styrofoam pls

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, educate me

Grand marnier vs. triple sec vs. Cointreau

I know this is 2 hours old but Gran Marnier is super good.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

pujewv4mncnc.jpg

some days I get mad about how saying one dumb thing can ruin a person's life in this age of callout culture and internet mob justice.

this isn't one of those days

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Styrofoam pls

*Extremely Eddie izzard voice*

Whut

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I play mobas with neo-nazis; does that count?
    Sometimes I tell them not to use ethnicity or sexual preference as a slur...

oh I didn't know you were queueing up with chatters again

Joking aside, I require a similar-ranked duo urgently to save me from my losing streak and keep me from getting demoted. Let me know if interested. I don't think I'm playing on tilt but...I don't know ;_;

Cred I have no idea what to do but I could get real drunk and refer to everything by DotA names and play a selfish support

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    "Look I as a white person can be friends with nazis, so anyone can."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    https://sbir.defensebusiness.org/topics?topicId=28835

hahaha these guys are just trying to build their robot doctor army one tiny SBIR program at a time, this is kind of great
    I don't want to bid on this but I really like the guys running this program (at this point in time anyway)

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    That is cute.

Now the term some Americans use for doing donuts...
    https://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_77.html
    txrGbsF.png

We always called it "spinning brodies"

Although I do find something vaguely poetic about "whipping shitties"

We also had this thing in the winter where the streets are icy or snowy, you grab onto the rear bumper of a car and slide behind it until you chicken out and let go

That's "hooky bobbing"

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I play mobas with neo-nazis; does that count?
    Sometimes I tell them not to use ethnicity or sexual preference as a slur...

oh I didn't know you were queueing up with chatters again

Joking aside, I require a similar-ranked duo urgently to save me from my losing streak and keep me from getting demoted. Let me know if interested. I don't think I'm playing on tilt but...I don't know ;_;

Cred I have no idea what to do but I could get real drunk and refer to everything by DotA names and play a selfish support

Hm yes I will consider your offer and get back to you

*quietly shreds duo application once you leave*

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

pujewv4mncnc.jpg

some days I get mad about how saying one dumb thing can ruin a person's life in this age of callout culture and internet mob justice.

this isn't one of those days

I am confused by her reply.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Honestly I'm tired of people who voted this country into a fucked up situation now want the rest of us to realize they are the victims.

And we need to be nicer to them as they deal with the fact that yes they made a horrible god damn mistake.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    This panel from Preacher tends to sum this up:

XGkhjAk.jpg

obviously it would be better if racists were excellent specimen of the Aryan race...

I agree with the sentiment here, I think it's a cheap shot that is very likely to reinforce the radicalization of people who feel marginalized. In the same vein I probably wouldn't expect a media campaign talking about, for example, radicalized Muslims being ugly and how they can't get women to successfully fight the radicalization process. In the same manner that taking an incarcerated citizen and constantly shitting on them, among other things like effectively ending their employability, doesn't lead to rehabilitation.

From a high level in the west you're looking at different cultural issues between radicalized muslims and neo-nazis. I don't think that comparison holds water at all because of the baggage carried with those. Neo-Nazis and related groups are very much pushing a line that they are the vanguard of the silent majority. Their propaganda is very much centered around the idea that it's okay to drop the N word because everyone is really thinking it anyway and it's just oppression of the left that prevents people from saying it. The propaganda material for radicalization in the Middle East tends to take a much stronger approach that what ever state the radicals there will form may be opposed by the average Muslim on the street but he'll thank you later. So you're fighting different messages.

In particular one of the more successful acts of the civil rights movement in the 60's was showing people the evils that were going on. It's hard to look at Bull Conner as anything but a monster after you see him ordering firehoses and dogs unleashed on children and other peaceful protesters. This idea that if we just fucking love the shit out of the people who want to kill us, they will realize they are wrong doesn't work. It's same words every abuse victim has said to themselves at some point. If I'm just good enough it will stop.

I'd be more accepting of this if I had any reasonable expectation that people who go with this line would be active and out there trying to convert Neo-Nazis to a more healthy world view. But the number of people who will do that is tiny. So yes, I will paint them as pathetic monsters, because they want me dead. Short of violence it's the tool I have that works.

This discussion has been closed.