As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Think I'm going to do 6 with Falchions because it's meta, the Justicar with the demon hammer because it's badass, and the other 3 models with swords because they look great and having at least the option of swapping in some extra AP for the squad seems situationally useful.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Yea a hammer on the Justicar/Paragon in any squad is the usual thing people do, since the "sergeants" tend to have some melee bonus, either +1 attack or a higher WS to offset the -1 to hit, etc.

Are you using any special weapons? On the power armor GK they take two hands to use so that model wouldn't have a weapon and you don't have to worry about it.

Although so far in this edition none of the three are worth the points over a stormbolter, IMHO.

• Options
    I wasn't planning on it with this squad. This is just my first squad, to get myself back in to building and batch painting models. I'll have at least one more striker squad so I'll build a couple of special weapon models out of that box.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the Know no Fear starter set (with a Death Guard and Primaris army) are all push-fit models that require clippers and maybe a little glue

And coming very soon are push-fit dreadnoughts and the blight-hauler (and I think also aggressors and plague marines?)

I haven't played WH40K since college and sold my old Ork army years ago.

A buddy recently talked me into splitting that starter set. He's already got a Grey Knights and Space wolves armies, plus all the accessories, so he's just giving me all the manuals/rulebooks etc.

Tomorrow when he drops it off I'll have a brand new Death Guard army to build and I'm incredibly stoked to get back into the hobby.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the Know no Fear starter set (with a Death Guard and Primaris army) are all push-fit models that require clippers and maybe a little glue

And coming very soon are push-fit dreadnoughts and the blight-hauler (and I think also aggressors and plague marines?)

A buddy recently talked me into splitting that starter set. He's already got a Grey Knights and Space wolves armies, plus all the accessories, so he's just giving me all the manuals/rulebooks etc.

Tomorrow when he drops it off I'll have a brand new Death Guard army to build and I'm incredibly stoked to get back into the hobby.
    the DeathGuard from that set are all delightfully characterful. They are the most fun things I have painted in a while

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Viking wrote: »

the DeathGuard from that set are all delightfully characterful. They are the most fun things I have painted in a while

It's been a very long time since I've owned models of any kind (other than my first warboss, which is kind of a keepsake)... just looking at the ad material for the units, they look amazing compared to ten years ago.

I'm curious to see how much of a challenge it'll be to paint them.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Astral Knights, who died heroically fighting Necrons, great silver/blue scheme?

Or Shadow Wolves, who died heroically fighting Tyranids, with a great purple scheme, and ease of finding wolf symbols?

Which would you choose? I've wanted to paint purple for a while, but ideally like the color scheme of the Knights too.

Both are also successor chapters to my beloved Imperial Fists.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have a feeling the next codex is the Space Wolves as something my brother has been hinting for since we got back into 40k is a venerable dread
    And they are no longer up

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

It's been a very long time since I've owned models of any kind (other than my first warboss, which is kind of a keepsake)... just looking at the ad material for the units, they look amazing compared to ten years ago.

If you’re talking about the Dark Imperium box specifically, Warhammer TV came out with two versions of their painting tutorials for the set; regular and “battle ready” aka as quick as possible. Definitely worth checking out.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

If you’re talking about the Dark Imperium box specifically, Warhammer TV came out with two versions of their painting tutorials for the set; regular and “battle ready” aka as quick as possible. Definitely worth checking out.

Awesome! Thank you :biggrin:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular

Or Shadow Wolves, who died heroically fighting Tyranids, with a great purple scheme, and ease of finding wolf symbols?

Which would you choose? I've wanted to paint purple for a while, but ideally like the color scheme of the Knights too.

Both are also successor chapters to my beloved xImperial Fists.

I’m gunna do something crazy here and vote against the purple option.
    Astral Knights is a pretty nice scheme

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Awesome! Thank you :biggrin:

You should also check out the rest of their painting tips and tricks; they have over a hundred videos now including a couple of alternative colour schemes for other death guard vectorums plus a couple specifically for poxwalkers.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Dayspring wrote: »

Maybe I could do a squad of each with Primaris. Whoever looks better is the winner.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Maybe I could do a squad of each with Primaris. Whoever looks better is the winner.

This is why I think the painting app needs a preview
    Select a model and the paints you want to try out to see what it might look like?
    But I have no idea how the app is programed or what they did to program it so I don't know how much of a overhaul it would need to pull this off

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

This is why I think the painting app needs a preview
    Select a model and the paints you want to try out to see what it might look like?
    But I have no idea how the app is programed or what they did to program it so I don't know how much of a overhaul it would need to pull this off

I use to use the dawn of war painter for this.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

The Plague Marine kit has a bunch of great options, too. You can absolutely kitbash generic Chaos Marines.

• Options
    I carefully put the Justicar together to get my model construction legs back under me, than decided it was assembly line time...
    RomznyF.jpg?1

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Prime the torsos, then paint them, then glue on the arms! Otherwise you'll have difficulty painting them torsos.

PS. Sorry that no was so dramatic, I've had this very problem in the past, so I have a gut reaction to it.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm aware, but I have a magnifying glass and very fine brushes. Plus their chest detail is not like a regular space marines, it'a actually kind of muted. It should be fine. I've never been a sub-assembly guy and in the past I've still been able to produce some decent looking models.

e: Also there is more space between that hammer and his chest than you probably think. He's holding it away from himself.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    GK are also pretty open posed compared to regular bolter marines (where you can just leave the gun off)

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    So I just ordered Draigo, a Dreadknight and a squad of Intercessors to use as allies (not sure how I will paint these yet, probably a custom chapter scheme)...what should be next on my list? Thinking another box of Strikers and a box of Paladins. That's getting me close to 1000pts, which is my entire goal. I want 1000 pts, assembled, painted, and ready to play so I can go to my LGS's casual night and start rolling dice.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Strike squads and Paladins are a good choice, since they can be assembled and run as a bunch of different units. A Razorback is also a decent choice, since it can be a fire support unit or pop the turret off and run it as a transport.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    IMO the challenge lies in deciding what's on the ground and what's deep striking in. With most units being most threatening at point blank range (12 inches to double Stormbolter shots, 12 inch Smite, you want to charge to use those force weapons) while still relatively fragile MEQs themselves IMHO the ideal state would be "deep strike everything" - but you can only put half the units in reserves.

From the units you're proposing maybe you'd just have the Strikers sitting on some objective somewhere while Draigo and Paladins deep strike and the Dreadknight casts Gate of Infinity? Maybe you use the Paladins as Terminators and the DK as a Grandmaster DK so the whole thing is a battalion, +3 CP?

My usual 1,000 pt GK list is as follows, it's a "these are the models I like" thing (most competitive [for GK] is probably either 3x GM DK or half Strikers, half Interceptors, 2 cheap HQs) but I think it plays to the army's strengths by getting in close quickly, attacking in all three phases and being surprisingly mobile.

y1rxi02yumnx.png

The Interceptors and GM DK start on the board, hidden out of LoS and far away, ideally in a way that something can't drop in and blow away the DK with plasma or melta. The Pallies and Apothecary are in the teleportarium. Usually on the first turn shunt the Interceptors, Gate the Dreadknight and drop in the TDA guys to wherever they're best served.

Sometimes that's all of them together in one edge of a gunline with some convenient terrain nearby, trying to pull a "denied flank" where I'm fighting part of his army at a time with my whole army, sometimes that means an Interceptor squad goes off to kill a unit of Scouts while everyone else does whatever the mission requires. Between Gate of Infinity and the 1 CP "Shunt Again" strategem for Interceptors I find I'm very mobile.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Oh, oh, paint your allies as Exorcists. They are cool and have a nice paint scheme.

• Options
    I'm going to be running my striker squads with Gates of Infinity. That seems to be the setup dejour over at Bolter and Chainsword right now.

• Options
    It's definitely the best power for them to have. I only wish we could cast things like Gate of Infinity and Astral Aim more than once a turn, could open up a lot of strategies.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I've tried to class up the pictures of my Imperial Fists. At least the ones painted so far
    Captain Venatus Tormod7TN5jnY.jpg
    Chaplain Ailred Thorne0CqgDRn.jpg
    Codicier Unbrect IeroaqStezw.jpg
    Epistolary RamusLddNYgd.jpg
    Veteran Terminator Squad PiliusKRg7YyB.jpg
    Squad GaulPs3F6dj.jpg
    Squad BaracusV2cC5UR.jpg
    Squad ReguloV5qWGr6.jpg
    Squad Hasdrugar66LM1CF.jpg
    Squad ChandraP5wje5L.jpg
    Viribus, ironclad dreadnoughtWbxmyjC.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Not sure what chronological order you painted those in, but the terminators and dreadnought look fannnnnntastic. Did you paint those late in the cycle? Because if so, it shows a really clear progression on your painting. Good work on all of it!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I actually painted a bike, then the terminators. Everything else came later. The dreadnought was maybe two months ago. Maybe September.

I didn't do edge highlighting on the tactical marines. It's taken SOOO long to paint this army that I decided to go for table top quality and skip a few steps.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    So, I'm moving on from my 1k dread army. I always have a blast with it, but I'm looking for something a little different.
    I was thinking of doing a "loganwing" list, 1k again, with Logan on foot, Bjorn, some wg termies and....? Ulrik? That shield guy?

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Draigo, my Dreadknight and my Paladins get here tomorrow. I ordered the Paladins instead of intercessors as I really just want to finish my 1000pts of GK specific stuff before I do anything else.

Speaking of Primaris, is there anything stopping you from doing a completely Primaris force? They have their own HQ's, troops, elites and vehicles...so I don't see any reason you couldn't just do a list of just Primaris units. I have Codex: SM, so that may be what I do once my GK stuff is painted and playable. Look in to creating a purely Primaris force, at which point I can mix and match GK/primaris to taste as an allied force.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Draigo, my Dreadknight and my Paladins get here tomorrow. I ordered the Paladins instead of intercessors as I really just want to finish my 1000pts of GK specific stuff before I do anything else.

Speaking of Primaris, is there anything stopping you from doing a completely Primaris force? They have their own HQ's, troops, elites and vehicles...so I don't see any reason you couldn't just do a list of just Primaris units. I have Codex: SM, so that may be what I do once my GK stuff is painted and playable. Look in to creating a purely Primaris force, at which point I can mix and match GK/primaris to taste as an allied force.

There is not. In fact fluff wise there are entire Primaris chapters.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The biggest problem with an all Primaris force is you have to decide between footslogging everyone or spending $80 for a transport.

I guess GW forgot that Land Raiders and Storm Ravens exist? Anything that can transport Terminators and Centurions should be capable of transporting Primaris marines.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    They didn't forget, they just want you to buy Repulsors ;)

It's stupid I agree, but since I don't own any Land Raiders or Rhinos, I don't mind buying Primaris specific transports.

e: Also, I agree with some theories I've seen on Dakka and Bolter and Chainsword that GW's long game is likely for Primaris marines to completely replace normal Space Marines while moving the fluff forward, something 40K has desperately needed for years. Don't be surprised when there is an End Days style situation in 40K eventually like Age of Sigmar. All that comes out the other side are Primaris marines.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Depending on where they eventually land on whether classic marines can be enhanced to become Primaris, we may not even need a bloodbath to justify the replacement.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I've heard a lot of people talking about Primaris Marines replacing standard marines, but I don't think it's going to happen. There are far too many standard marine models that would have to be replaced, models that have already paid for their own molds and still sell like crazy. Standard marine models make up like half of the Warhammer 40k model lineup. To replace all of those would take decades.

I think if anything Primaris might get spun off as their own army, and that might end up with an Imperial civil war 2.0/Guilliman's Heresy. Some of the existing chapters have already expressed doubts in the fluff about Primaris marines (with the Blood Angels/Flesh Tearers bit in the last book about how "Guilliman is going to replace us all with Ultramarines in red armor" bit being the biggest example), and it's not like rowboat hasn't tried to secede from the Imperium before.

GW has all but outright said that they'll be releasing more Primarchs (the biggest example of this is them literally saying that The Lion was alive, completely healed, and is currently napping inside The Rock). Sanguinius could come back with some sort of asspull about how he lived on in the DNA of his battle brothers or something, the Iron Hands have Ferrus Manus' head locked away somewhere, given to them by Guilliman in return for them abiding by the new (at the time) codex restrictions at the end of the Heresy (and it's not like he hasn't been cloned a million times already anyway) so he could come back, I think the rest either "went missing" or got "lost in the warp" so they could suddenly return pretty much whenever GW decides they want to sell another Triumvirate box. I think we'll basically be playing a redeux of 30K in the 40K timeline (with Primarchs and all) in a few years.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I think Leman Russ is almost certainly coming back as well. The fluff has rumors about the 13th legion reappearing from the Eye of Terror. I think The Lion will be next, especially with the Dark Angels codex just releasing, and then Russ, maybe before the Spaces Wolves codex next year.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I think they have been teasing Fulgrim a bit with him "waking up" at the end of 7th and the whole pictures of swords and hair recently. Or maybe banshees who knows.

Though Fulgrim and Russ rolling out of the warp would be hilarious and totally in character.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    would take decades.

That's what some of think it's going to take. Every year we'll get a few more primaris kits, every edition a few more options for squads, eventually some standard marine kits will stop being sold, slowly but surely they'll be discontinued and replaced with primaris. One edition, the title "primaris" will go away, and we'll be using marine primaris and standard marine models interchangeably.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I've heard a lot of people talking about Primaris Marines replacing standard marines, but I don't think it's going to happen. There are far too many standard marine models that would have to be replaced, models that have already paid for their own molds and still sell like crazy. Standard marine models make up like half of the Warhammer 40k model lineup. To replace all of those would take decades.

I think if anything Primaris might get spun off as their own army, and that might end up with an Imperial civil war 2.0/Guilliman's Heresy. Some of the existing chapters have already expressed doubts in the fluff about Primaris marines (with the Blood Angels/Flesh Tearers bit in the last book about how "Guilliman is going to replace us all with Ultramarines in red armor" bit being the biggest example), and it's not like rowboat hasn't tried to secede from the Imperium before.

GW has all but outright said that they'll be releasing more Primarchs (the biggest example of this is them literally saying that The Lion was alive, completely healed, and is currently napping inside The Rock). Sanguinius could come back with some sort of asspull about how he lived on in the DNA of his battle brothers or something, the Iron Hands have Ferrus Manus' head locked away somewhere, given to them by Guilliman in return for them abiding by the new (at the time) codex restrictions at the end of the Heresy (and it's not like he hasn't been cloned a million times already anyway) so he could come back, I think the rest either "went missing" or got "lost in the warp" so they could suddenly return pretty much whenever GW decides they want to sell another Triumvirate box. I think we'll basically be playing a redeux of 30K in the 40K timeline (with Primarchs and all) in a few years.

I am pretty sure the space wolf primarch is out there somewhere he was never confirmed killed I believe just went off hunting chaos on his own from what I recall.

This discussion has been closed.