As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I mean...

If I'm remembering the lore correctly, the Emprah was born in a geographic region that wasn't at the time known for its lilly white population. Like... at all.

So, if the primary and their geneseed are meant to express the Emprah's traits, there should be a lot of not-whiteness in there.

But the game is made by a bunch of very white British dudes, so it's been kept pretty white even where that makes the least sense.

At this point also it isn't probably a great idea to paint the skin color of folks now on whatever 30k would be.

I just try in my head to put 40k in its own little universe full of crazy shit like actual daemons, magic, and space metal music that kills.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I mean...

If I'm remembering the lore correctly, the Emprah was born in a geographic region that wasn't at the time known for its lilly white population. Like... at all.

So, if the primary and their geneseed are meant to express the Emprah's traits, there should be a lot of not-whiteness in there.

But the game is made by a bunch of very white British dudes, so it's been kept pretty white even where that makes the least sense.

The Emperor is portrayed about as non-white as his Christian counterpart generally is.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Went back and redid the tail. Needed a thick wire frame to support his fat head, and took the opportunity to pose him with his actual base in mind. I didn't have a 50mm present so I just went with the 60mm, and I think it's actually fine. Need to get some more rocks up on it though. Thoughts?
    Fbu6tIY.jpg
    6GrfNUJ.jpg
    xBxWpu6.jpg
    re7j68q.jpg
    frXoHFS.jpg

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I mean...

One of the Space Marine's implants is a Melanochrome gland. This controls the melanin in the marine's skin, darkening as needed for the environment.

It used to just be the Raven Guard that had a weird Melanochrome gland (super pale skin) but then they retconed the Salamanders to also have issues but the opposite direction.

But even with this little tidbit, your point still stands. Marine diversity isn't represented in the official artwork enough. If anything it's worse now than it was after they changed the Salamanders from the "black" chapter to the chapter with literal black skin.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Making the Salamanders into fire-drow is the weakest thing I've ever heard

I like the Salamanders with pitch black skin and red eyes. Something about the "friendliest" Space Marines looking the scariest makes me happy. But I 100% believe it's silly that all the Space Marines in the official art are white.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I mean, the idea behind their special skin gland and all the rest of their alterations is that they aren’t really white or black anymore. They have weird chameleon skin that shifts depending on levels of radiation. Their bones have been altered. Their flesh is tougher. You throw a black man or a white man or anything else into the vat and what comes out is a space marine. They may vaguely resemble what went in, but they’re a big gnarly monster mash now.

Space marines should be the most race-inclusive of all, because all that racial stuff gets pushed to the side to make a killing machine. It’s like saying Robocop is still a caucasian because the plastic shell they made his face out of is flesh colored.

Of course, any official artwork of them in a daylight or irradiated environment should have a bunch of dark-skinned dudes, but again that’s just old British white dudes doing what they do.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    I do feel the CSM artwork helps reinforce that Space Marines aren't really human. Sure there is the mutation stuff but overall you realize that SM aren't human anymore.

They have been basically flayed, rebuilt, and added to. I think the only thing I can think of that actually messes with shit is the gene seed. SM are altered down to a molecular level. There DNA is altered with the geneseed of their primarch.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I mean, the idea behind their special skin gland and all the rest of their alterations is that they aren’t really white or black anymore. They have weird chameleon skin that shifts depending on levels of radiation. Their bones have been altered. Their flesh is tougher. You throw a black man or a white man or anything else into the vat and what comes out is a space marine. They may vaguely resemble what went in, but they’re a big gnarly monster mash now.

Space marines should be the most race-inclusive of all, because all that racial stuff gets pushed to the side to make a killing machine. It’s like saying Robocop is still a caucasian because the plastic shell they made his face out of is flesh colored.

Of course, any official artwork of them in a daylight or irradiated environment should have a bunch of dark-skinned dudes, but again that’s just old British white dudes doing what they do.

This is a really great way to tell people, "And that's why we don't really have any black people in our posters. You see, the white people really aren't white. So stop whining."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Dark Eldar should have a load of different skin tones too.
    You can go to your friendly neighbourhood Heamonculi and have wings grafted to your back if you have enough cash, i’m sure there must be loads of minor cosmetic alterations that DE high society gets into

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »

I like the Salamanders with pitch black skin and red eyes. Something about the "friendliest" Space Marines looking the scariest makes me happy. But I 100% believe it's silly that all the Space Marines in the official art are white.

two chain swords and a pet panther or I feed

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    It may be Japan only, but at least one recent official paint job shows a black Space Marine character : https://www.games-workshop.com/en-JP/Brother-Captain-Thassarius

It's not much, but hopefully it's a sign they've told their paint studio there is no reason for all SM's to be pale skinned.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Skin tones are very easy to fix. You just use different paint.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Yeah... but does that Melanochrome gland default to Riley and Ayden at the local Starbucks' autumn sale white?

Or do white British dudes at GW just not think about people as anything other than white and British and also dudes, sometimes busty ladies, but mostly just dudes?

Maek u think

• Options
    Pasty white probably would be the default state of color for the majority of the Imperium populace. They live on polluted shithole hiveworlds where no one has even seen the natural sky for a thousand years. They probably need daily supplements just to live a comparatively healthy life in their crappy sunless environment. Most space marine recruits on the other hand probably would be some dark skin tone due to being pulled from an outdoor populace on a sunnier if far more dangerous feudal or death world.

Also I’m coming at this from a lore perspective and not from real life because no shit excluding people from the game is a bad thing to do. There’s no reason you can’t paint or present your minis as whatever you want and GW should both accept and embrace this fully. I see an argument about race and gender in 40k and it makes me wanna talk about how humanity would evolve over such a length of time as a space faring society. What is there to say otherwise? Inclusivity is great! It’s a setting designed with the scale of an entire universe so that anything and everything can happen, and every possible combination of race and gender is equally acceptable and equally excellent.

But I can and will vomit paragraphs of text on the feasibility of the Betcher’s Gland and its practical uses and no one can stop me.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Another missed tie in opprtunity. Models and datasheets for Sgt. Titus and Lt. Mira would've been cool.

Titus and Sedonus have models, they were just stealthy about it:
    6Q8nQzX.jpg

It's hard to see from the picture, but the Titus looking model even has the facial scarring in the right place. Sadly no Mira though.
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Skin tones are very easy to fix. You just use different paint.

Duncan did a video on darker skin tones a while back that might be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukcg7vS-GTE

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Well... It's not really that they don't have a chance play, so much as they don't have a place in the setting, other than the joke army with shitty models that hasn't been supported for ten years.

As a black dude, I've actually considered playing Salamanders, but I've then run into the "they're not actually black, they just have blackened skin" thing. And it's like... Oh.

Ok.

So, 38 thousand years in the future, the dominant pigment trait of the human species just... disappeared?

Ok.

So, I built and painted a largely Black Catachan army and a Cadian army with a mostly-Black non-com and officer core. I painted Colonel Schaefer as basically Carl Weathers.

But ladies kinda don't have that option. It's either demon tits, poncy elves, or the above-mentioned non-army Sisters of Battle. And a big clue here:

There are almost no representations of female Heroic characters on most of the 40k art, period.

You rarely see a Battlesister on box art.

I've never seen a Space Marine that looks like Michael Clarke Duncan on box art, and no girl has ever seen an awesome Ripley or Vasquez-style Guardsman in outside of fanart.

It's white dudes everywhere, on everything, doing everything in 40k.

Seriously, give the Sisters a unit that's gotten the Custodes treatment, and start placing them next to Astartes on ad material.

Dude, I totally want a Carl Weather's guardsmen in my Valhallans now! I never even thought of that!. I could do a whole vet squad based on the characters from predator. Lol.

In my Fists, who recruit from all kinds of planets, I have many different characters, including Bennet (BA) Baracus, my 3rd squad vet sarge. I really like having helmets on my marines, but when I go back to my Valhallans, I'm going to paint a lot more varied skin tones. Nobody said there were only white people on Valhalla and I believe in the Cain novels, at least one character is dark skinned.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I have to go through the AM book again but actually there is new art with female guardsmen at the forefront if I remember right.

Also Space Marine had the bad ass female guardsman LT as a main character.

Yes, I've played that game and that is awesome. But she ain't the franchise's mascot.

I've been to a few hobby stores, and the good lieutenant hasn't shown her stony, beautiful face once.

Meanwhile, giant white dudes errwhere.

No joke.

A recruitment poster with a tough-looking lady presenting (las)arms, with the copy JOIN TODAY as advertisement for a box of five female guard with officer option sprues would fucking kill at the cash register.

Do it yesterday GW.

Give me those in great coats, and I would add a whole two platoons to my Valhallan army.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    And the Celestial Lions, besides having a very rad color scheme, are from an African-themed world, with many trappings of African cultural. I've given serious thought to starting an army of them, even though I'm pasty white, but I can't seem to paint gold correctly to save my life.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    And the Celestial Lions, besides having a very rad color scheme, are from an African-themed world, with many trappings of African cultural. I've given serious thought to starting an army of them, even though I'm pasty white, but I can't seem to paint gold correctly to save my life.

The robot saves the day once more
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRsolFOTdOs

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Fulgirm and the EC wish they looked as fabulous as the Sanguinary guard

• Options
    The robot can paint anything and explain it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So now I'm basically done with my Death Guard (for the time being) I'm considering starting something different. I'm considering Necrons because I thought of this list and I think it would look incredible on the table

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [46 PL, 871pts] ++

+ HQ +

Catacomb Command Barge [10 PL, 169pts]: Staff of Light, Tesla Cannon

+ Troops +

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 228pts]: 19x Necron Warrior

+ Elites +

Triarch Stalker [8 PL, 158pts]: Particle Shredder

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Necrons) [56 PL, 1121pts] ++

+ HQ +

Catacomb Command Barge [10 PL, 169pts]: Staff of Light, Tesla Cannon

+ Troops +

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 240pts]: 20x Necron Warrior

+ Heavy Support +

Annihilation Barge [7 PL, 153pts]: Gauss Cannon

Annihilation Barge [7 PL, 153pts]: Gauss Cannon

Doomsday Ark [10 PL, 203pts]

Doomsday Ark [10 PL, 203pts]

++ Total: [102 PL, 1992pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I've got a small pile of Eldar metal coming my way. I've fond memories of the Farseer with the singing spear model as that's what I converted up to be a warlock in a D&D 3.5 game many moons ago.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Do we need a Necromunda thread?

Here is a video of someone being given a demonstration of the game at a convention. Below that is a summary of the rules as explained in the demo.
    https://youtu.be/WxGWIcTGKJs

Players dice off for initiative at the top of the turn then alternate activating individual fighters.
    Fighters get two actions per activation. Some (simple) actions can be taken twice, some only once (basic) and some (doubles) take both actions (the summary sheet at Necromunda.com has the basic list that everyone uses)
    A fighter completes both of their actions and then passes, and can’t be activated again.

Shooting is one D6 plus modifiers to hit for range, cover etc. vs the shooter's BS, plus one or more additional firepower dice depending on the weapon type.
    Cover is determined using a range ruler/template: place the centreline of the template over the centre of the shooter and target; if one edge of the template passes over cover, the target is in soft cover. If both edges pass over cover, the target is in hard cover. The template looks about an inch wide.
    The firepower dice indicates one, two, or three shots, plus one face with a single shot plus a jam result. For weapons such as plasma pistols that fire a single shot per activation, only the ‘jam’ face is relevant. For others such as auto guns (rapid fire weapons in 40K) the indicated shots tell you how many times you hit if your to-hit roll is successful.
    If you jam your gun, you have to take a simple action to reload at some point later in the game, passing a ammo check to do so, before you can fire that gun again. If you jam your plasma gun, though, you run the risk of it overheating and melting your hand off.

Combat is based on player initiative, not fighter; a model that activates first fights first. Charging is a double action that combines a move with a bonus D3" of movement and a ‘free’ fight action.
    Combat is done much the same way as 40K: roll a die per attack, plus bonuses for charging and extra weapons, beat your WS to hit. Every time you make a Fight action though, the model you hit gets to make free reaction attacks back in the same way.

Wounding is 8th edition style; double toughness is 2+, beat toughness is 3+, equal is 4+ etc. for shooting and close combat.
    Reducing a fighter to 0 wounds allows you to roll injury dice. If your weapon deals more than one point of damage and you have extra damage left over after reducing them to 0 wounds, you get extra injury dice to roll.
    Injury dice are faced with symbols equal to classic Necromunda: one down, one flesh wound, four injured. If you’re flesh wounded, you go back to having one wound but take a cumulative -1 penalty to toughness. At 0 toughness you are automatically out of action.
    Recovery involves rolling an injury die at the beginning of your turn. Flesh wounds are cumulative so if you’re down to 1 toughness already, you may not want to see that come up….

That’s the basic game from the video. Special scenarios and models/wargear will have unique actions and such but it’s a pretty neat action-economy game. Also, there were no leadership, bottle, cool etc. tests in the demo they played so can’t be sure of what needs to be done when. Though we do know from other sources that shooting at anything other than the closest target should require a Cool test.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Red Terror ate a Lord of Contagion and 2 of the Deathshroud guard tonight.

Good work, boy.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Pasty white probably would be the default state of color for the majority of the Imperium populace. They live on polluted shithole hiveworlds where no one has even seen the natural sky for a thousand years. They probably need daily supplements just to live a comparatively healthy life in their crappy sunless environment.

Guys come out of Tallarn and Catachan all pasty white, too.

• Options
    People from Tallarn should be a whole hell of a lot darker, yeah. They’re literally the Fremen from Dune mixed with vague Middle Eastern pop culture references and a lot of tanks. Though their special commander model was painted and portrayed pretty Arabic looking (before he got erased from the codex).

Catachans shouldn’t be a bunch of whities either, but they don’t make any sense anyway. They’re super tough Death jungle people that apparently burst out of the womb rippling with muscles and knives. They should be classified as abhumans like ogryn and ratlings. Realistically they’d look a lot more like all the people Rambo killed in his movies than Rambo himself. So Cambodian/Vietnamese.

• Options
    Considering that some people on Necromunda think that Goliaths should be reclassified as abhumans, you’re not far wrong. But Catachan is incredibly useful, which means reclassifying its population would be a bold move and no-one in the Adeptus Terra makes bold moves (after ten millennia of being selectively bred to be bureaucrats, I suspect they are congenitally incapable of even formulating the concept).

... and ⁿ ow I wanna dig out my Catachans and finish painting them. Argh, too many projects!

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Hey lore people, are there public telephones (vox-lines) for commoners in hive cities? I've been wrestling with this idea for a while in my Dark Heresy campaigns and from stuff I've read it might be yes. I think there might be because how do Imperial citizens report suspicions of heresy on each other?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Hey lore people, are there public telephones (vox-lines) for commoners in hive cities? I've been wrestling with this idea for a while in my Dark Heresy campaigns and from stuff I've read it might be yes. I think there might be because how do Imperial citizens report suspicions of heresy on each other?

I'd imagine they have to have some way of communicating in a hive. Like you said, not exactly like you can run across town just to report suspected heresy. That's gonna tip off the heretic before they have a chance to get purged by fire.
    But, it probably also varies from hive to hive. Vox lines are probably breaking down in older cities, or older parts of cities if you don't want them around. Alternatively, maybe part of the hive is built around a manufactorum that builds vox equipment so the lines are always in good working order.

I mean, if you want lines, or you don't want lines, you can pretty easily make the hive conform to what you want for your game and fit the lore.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I’d also imagine many/most public comm lines are heavily monitored by various authorities

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I’d also imagine many/most public comm lines are heavily monitored by various authorities

That was the other thing I thought justified it. Like why would the 2E core rulebook say there's lots of wire tapping if it's like all of a hundred nobles using them.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well from it looks like they got rid of the Juves and Heavies in Nercomunda in favor of the champion which seems to be a upgraded ganger

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

That was the other thing I thought justified it. Like why would the 2E core rulebook say there's lots of wire tapping if it's like all of a hundred nobles using them.

It's totally one of those things where there's an infinite number of hive worlds with different governors and different industries, plus the different levels of poverty by district, so any sort of world you want is going to exist. There'll be some that are just endless Master Blaster pig farms on the lower levels, some just like the hunger games districts, and some that basically look like blade runner.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

It's totally one of those things where there's an infinite number of hive worlds with different governors and different industries, plus the different levels of poverty by district, so any sort of world you want is going to exist. There'll be some that are just endless Master Blaster pig farms on the lower levels, some just like the hunger games districts, and some that basically look like blade runner.

Yeah, you gotta remember that the Imperium has a million worlds. That’s a million times as many as we have right now, and we legitimately run the gamut between no lines to more lines than anyone knows what to do with, sometimes even in the same country. Also, a Hive City has a minimum population of ten million and Hive Primus on Necromunda is around ten billion so they in themselves represent everything from a small modern nation to an entire planet's worth of people all on their own.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Hive worlds are like if you took the various nations on Earth and then just stacked them on top of each other. Each level would have its own cultures, dialects, methods of local government, all that. There’d be the planetary governor but unless there was a war going on planet side he would probably just be in his big never ending pleasure dome. Aside from brief outings to organize jolly outings to purge heretics/mutants/witches or kidnap citizens for Guard quotas.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Part of it is from the time the game came from

That's the kind of detail that there's no reason to get hung up on. In a high tech setting, NOT having an easy way for people to communicate with each other would be weird. You've got 'vox' technology, radios, various wireless communications, the myriad ways to communicate other wires (signals, digital, etc.). At the lowest level, radio transmitters and recievers are incredibly simple technology, and even with its limitations, be something anyone should be able to get their hands on. Public communication is also very useful, as well as being very easy to monitor, so the hive authorities might make a point of making sure the public com systems are kept operating outside of no-go mutant infested sublevels.

And, as above, the expanse of the setting means the answer to most questons is 'yes, somewhere someone is doing it like that.'

• Options
    Yeah, I was just thinking about the population numbers for Hive Primus; assume an 80/20 population split between the Great Houses and the Noble Houses, and a further 90/10 between the Noble Houses and the Imperial House that gives your
    • House Helmawr: 200M
    • Houses Ty, Ulanti, Ko’iron, Ran Lo, Greim, and Catallus: 300M
    • Houses Escher, Delaque, Orlock, Van Saar, Goliath, and Cawdor: 1.5B

So each of the Great Houses is equivalent to China or India and the Nobles are roughly USA-sized. That’s what Hive Primus represents; six China’s competing for the attention (money) of seven Americas. And that’s just one thing that the Imperium considers to be a “city” and just one amongst many on Necromunda alone.

• Options
    edited October 2017

Part of it is from the time the game came from

That's the kind of detail that there's no reason to get hung up on. In a high tech setting, NOT having an easy way for people to communicate with each other would be weird. You've got 'vox' technology, radios, various wireless communications, the myriad ways to communicate other wires (signals, digital, etc.). At the lowest level, radio transmitters and recievers are incredibly simple technology, and even with its limitations, be something anyone should be able to get their hands on. Public communication is also very useful, as well as being very easy to monitor, so the hive authorities might make a point of making sure the public com systems are kept operating outside of no-go mutant infested sublevels.

And, as above, the expanse of the setting means the answer to most questons is 'yes, somewhere someone is doing it like that.'

Ehhh I was thinking in a "The Imperium guards knowledge and doesn't want people to foment rebellion through distant communication sort of say" sort of like North Korea or China blocking websites that don't agree with the Communist Party.

Like can you explain to me why in M2.1 we have satellies that can talk to probes light years away and even with the post-dark age of technology stagnation why we have to rely on Astropaths and psykers to communicate rather than one of those?

Edit: another question, would there be restaurants and shops for commoners and low to mid level merchants in the main hive? Like is there a place to buy some lho sticks and a lighter, or some decent Imperial Creed Temple clothes? Or clothes other than overalls? Do children receive education like trade schools where it's not generalized like in the Cold War but more of a thing where the mentors go "You're building lasguns until you're called up to the guard, here's basic math and reading so you don't superheat the silicate and ruin production." Also can people join the guard as volunteers as well as conscripts?

Kadoken on
This discussion has been closed.