As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The crash course on my homebrew chapter lore:
    They are a fleet based Iron Hands successor chapter that was created after the 26th founding to patrol a relatively isolated area of space that, for some reason or another, sees a significantly higher than normal number of Space Hulks dropping into realspace, as well as to investigate the root cause of this phenomenon (Hulks getting caught up in warp currents similar to how leaves might get caught in an eddy in a stream before dropping out of the warp is how I envision it). Their armor is Mephison Red with Balthasar Gold aquilas, black shoulderpads, and Balthasar Gold trim.

Because they were a newly founded chapter, they were given a minimum level of equipment (you wouldn't give a bunch of vehicles or more than a handful of priceless sets of Terminator Armor to an unproven chapter, right?). That, coupled with the relatively low amount of information contained within the Codex Astartes on fighting within a Space Hulk meant that their initial casualties were relatively high. High casualties coupled with their solid ability to manipulate machinery means that they now field a much larger than average number of Dreadnoughts (this is because I love Dreadnoughts and regularly bring three or more in games because giant stompy robots are awesome).

Their initial low level of equipment was supplemented by gear they retrieved from Imperial vessels that were part of various Space Hulks they had cleansed (this is why I have a bunch of 30k stuff as well as a mk1rhino interspersed in my army with the modern Space Marine equipment/vehicles, as well as why a chapter that is only a couple hundred years old has a working Fellblade). Basically a Chaplain takes a look, makes sure whatever it is hasn't been corrupted by chaos, gives it the all-clear, and into the armory/motorpool it goes. The amount of STCs and archeotech that they have retrieved from cleansing multiple Hulks has led to them having a favorable relationship with the Adeptus Mechanicus, which has fostered their knowledge and ability to repair and maintain machinery.

They use an integrated IFF system that feeds location and status data for all other chapter members in the area directly to the HUD in the marine's helmet, meaning every marine has an immediate knowledge of who and where every other marine nearby is, and as a result they do not wear chapter or unit identifiers on their shoulderpads (this is because I haven't come up with a chapter icon for them, and so all of their shoulderpads are solid black). Because their initial purpose was for one specific task, they do not follow the traditional company structure that other Codex compliant chapters do, but are instead formed into ad-hoc battle forces by the chapter master as the situation requires.

After the appearance of the Cicatrix Maledictum they were called to assist in the Indomitus Crusade, and were given Primaris Marines as reinforcements. The Primaris Marines were not readily accepted by the chapter because they hadn't fought, struggled, and triumphed in the hellish labyrinthine corridors of Space Hulks as the original chapter members have. Because of this, they were not allowed to wear the chapter armor, but a panel on their chest is painted red to show that they are still a member of the chapter. Once a Primaris Marine proves himself worthy (by spilling Genestealer blood while cleansing a Space Hulk) he is granted the right to either wear the chapter colors on their armor, or they'll have some other differentiator between them and the other Primaris Marines, I haven't decided yet. I don't want to have a mix of red and bone Primaris Marines, so what I will likely do is add trim or something to the shoulderpads or maybe kneepads on some of the Primaris models to show that they have done this.

and that's why my Primaris Marines are going to be a different color.

On a different note, have any of you guys been playing with marine bikes in 8th edition? I've got five old Dark Vengeance bikes that I've filed all of the Dark Angels logos off of, as well as an attack bike, but I haven't painted any of them up or used them in a game yet. I thought about making them a suicide anti-tank melta squad that runs right up to the biggest piece of armor my opponent has and hopes to kill it before getting wiped out, but meltaguns (while still powerful) don't delete vehicles like they used to, are expensive, and would be firing at -1 unless I spent a command point to bring it back to a 3+.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Not only are meltaguns not as strong vs. vehicles as they used to be but IMO they're very overcosted compared to Plasma or Lascannons and this is especially exacerbated by the fact that "get close and shoot them" really isn't a viable tactic for anything that doesn't fly.

You can't deep strike in melta, unless you want to shoot your expensive gun at a guardsman/cultist/whatever, and your bikes can't hop over those same chaff units. I've had some success with SoB Seraphim with Inferno Pistols that move twice, but at that point we're talking 24 inches of flying movement and even then I think it only worked because of the surprise factor. IMO melta is most viable on Xenos equivalents with ludicrous movement and range, so a Tau Coldstar has a 20-40 inch move with four 18 inch melta guns, a Dark Eldar Reaver has 22 inches movement with and again an 18 inch gun.

With regards to bikes especially, I've been thinking about them recently, too, in case I actually start assembling and painting my Primaris marines, lol, but IMHO they suffer the same problems as most elite infantry where they'll die just as easily, don't output enough damage and have trouble getting near the targets they want.

I think the exception is Scout bikers who pack a strong anti-infantry punch and getting into range of chaff units certainly isn't hard when they push up the board in waves. I'm not a big fan of the models though, maybe if I could model them leaning forward rather than sitting back, I dunno.

But keep in mind my thoughts on bikes are pure on-paper-these-don't-look-great thoughts, I haven't played with them.

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Well I got my one submission in to the Black Library before the deadline. Was hoping to submit more than one thing but life got in the way as it usually does. Still in the end I'm pretty proud of what I turned in, though with no real expectation that it'll actually get picked up. But it was fun to write something creative for the first time in a while if nothing else, and who knows, maybe I'll keep it up and have a better chance next time there's a call for submissions.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I really can't wait to try out the new Reavers. I've got 15 of the buggers ready to go.

Why yes, I am going to move 28 inches, shoot you with melta equivalents and then charge you. What of it?

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    You cause a lot of mortal wounds to the unit you charged and the units you flew over, too, lol.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    You could say the death company are painted black to represent their lack of a future, and the primaris are white to represent literally being the future.

I’m working on a bunch of chaos stuff after a year of tyranids, and man is it just nice to have models you can really convert and personalize. Tyranids are the absolute opposite of that, and doing my 40th identically posed and painted termagant was probably killing me. I can put things in these daemons’ hands! They can hold different weapons and look around at stuff. They have champions, what a change!

Deathwing are already white, ravenwing are black.

On a similar note, GW calls too many fucking things Death_____.

You've got the Deathwing Company, the Death Company, the Deathwatch, the Deathguard, and probably some more Deathstuff that I can't think of.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    In other news, Forge World are finally ready to release brother-captain Suirahpla for sale:
    wo3dbqrlbg81.jpeg

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    You could say the death company are painted black to represent their lack of a future, and the primaris are white to represent literally being the future.

I’m working on a bunch of chaos stuff after a year of tyranids, and man is it just nice to have models you can really convert and personalize. Tyranids are the absolute opposite of that, and doing my 40th identically posed and painted termagant was probably killing me. I can put things in these daemons’ hands! They can hold different weapons and look around at stuff. They have champions, what a change!

You've got the Deathwing Company, the Death Company, the Deathwatch, the Deathguard, and probably some more Deathstuff that I can't think of.

Death Korps!
    T1E7Vd4.jpg

• Options
    There's also Deathcult Assassins who could be getting +1 to cover from being within a piece of Deathworld Forest terrain.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The imperium basically works like the Smurfs.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Love that Alpha Legion color scheme

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Death Korps!
    T1E7Vd4.jpg

Meanwhile at Astra Militarum HQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Love that Alpha Legion color scheme

Looking at the community page today, I think there might be some conversion possibilities for Alpha Legion using the Idoneth Deepkin kits.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    There’s no way deepkin releasing at the same time as the dark eldar codex wasn’t planned. Shark bikes, sea turtle ravagers, those eyeless guys could be mandrakes or wracks. Also the new dark elf stuff is literally just Wyches and Scourges.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Death Korps!
    T1E7Vd4.jpg

Counterpoint: the sheer number of DIFFERENT enemy factions who not only feel right at home wearing other peoples' faces as flash and bling, but can keep those severed faces screaming while they do so kinda takes the bite out of 'we sure do have lots of metal skulls on our hats." :biggrin:

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/hrV5Ucri7hI

Nick Nanavati running kind of a small army but I see parts of his Adepticon list in there.

I just want to see how he moves and what parts of Chaos I am missing.

Edit:

Now I feel I have been playing cultist wrong for almost a year.

Finally had time to watch this.

Wow was that interesting... I really need to work on my foundation rules knowledge.

The way Nick dropped in his cultists was something I'd never thought to do. Also the way he synergized his abilities and ranges was something I need to work on.

It was also nice to see a Primaris army get some love and pull off a win. Basic marines get talked down a lot, so it was cool to see an army that's kind of typical of what you'd think a SM army should look like.

Now, did I miss it, or can you declare multiple charge targets from one unit? IE his cultists charging two different targets in one charge?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Been on a painting spree, got my Khorne Obliterators mostly done. Hoping there’s enough Khorne paraphernalia on there to make it clear they’re not Nurgle. The blight terminator bodies aren’t too Nurgly so it seems fine.
    Prvc8G1.jpg

*edit* You know, thinking about it Khorne may be the no nonsense god of getting your fight on, but damn does his followers love draping themselves in his symbols. You’d think it would be Slaanesh that demanded everyone get festooned in their marks but nobody beats Khorne for decorative armor.

Badablack on
  • Options
    You guys make wish I was further along into developing a bits box

Love the Khorne Oblits

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    On a different note... I've been reading entirely horus heresy and primarchs Warhammer for a while.

It seems like there's a lot going on in the "current era" 40k though. Gillyman alive again, Fabius Bile roaming around cloning things, etc

Where's a good place to pick back up on current novels?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Nick Nanavati running kind of a small army but I see parts of his Adepticon list in there.

Edit:

Wow was that interesting... I really need to work on my foundation rules knowledge.

The way Nick dropped in his cultists was something I'd never thought to do. Also the way he synergized his abilities and ranges was something I need to work on.

It was also nice to see a Primaris army get some love and pull off a win. Basic marines get talked down a lot, so it was cool to see an army that's kind of typical of what you'd think a SM army should look like.

Now, did I miss it, or can you declare multiple charge targets from one unit? IE his cultists charging two different targets in one charge?

You can declare as many charges as there are targets in 12". You can only attack what you declare on. If you move into 1" and you didn't declare they can punch you but you can't punch them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    *edit* You know, thinking about it Khorne may be the no nonsense god of getting your fight on, but damn does his followers love draping themselves in his symbols. You’d think it would be Slaanesh that demanded everyone get festooned in their marks but nobody beats Khorne for decorative armor.
    The Khone icon pulls double duty because it's both a gnarly evil rune, AND a skull!

But design wise, I can totally see why.
    Tzeentch and Slaanesh icons are weirdly shaped and asymmetrical, which makes them tricky to work into things.
    Nurgles icon is so simple that it gets easily lost (which is why its normally sneaked into actual practical elements, like eyes or exhaust ports instead). So much so that nurgle has a bunch of OTHER icons that the models sprinkle around (the fly symbol, the... triple forked cross... thing... the nurgle icon, but with skulls...)
    Khornes icon is nice and symmetrical, and it's made up entirely of straight lines (rather than shapes, like the others). That means you can plaster it on basically any surface, and its still readable. It doesnt even need to be in isolation like the others, the khorne icon just needs the triangular negative spaces and its still readable.

website_header.jpg
  • Options

Edit:

You can declare as many charges as there are targets in 12". You can only attack what you declare on. If you move into 1" and you didn't declare they can punch you but you can't punch them.

This is good to know... it means I can bog down even more stuff with the big blobs of poxwalkers I've been running.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

Edit:

This is good to know... it means I can bog down even more stuff with the big blobs of poxwalkers I've been running.

He also features my favorite thing to do with berzerkers (but with cultists) which is to keep them just outside of base contact so when you use your consolidate move you can swing around the enemy model to base them on the other side to get an easy surround.

Unfortunately I think enough cultists died that the ultramarines got to fall back and shoot anyways the next turn

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options

Edit:

He also features my favorite thing to do with berzerkers (but with cultists) which is to keep them just outside of base contact so when you use your consolidate move you can swing around the enemy model to base them on the other side to get an easy surround.

Unfortunately I think enough cultists died that the ultramarines got to fall back and shoot anyways the next turn

Yeah, this is what I was saying about putting more into learning foundational rules. That was something I've never thought to do.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    In other news, I've been skimming the Drukhari Codex.

Now I want to build a Drukhari army...

... so that's only five or so factions I want to get into after Death Guard...

... Good good...

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    In other news, I've been skimming the Drukhari Codex.

Now I want to build a Drukhari army...

... so that's only five or so factions I want to get into after Death Guard...

... Good good...

This is my life.
    the really frustrating thing is pretty much none of the armies I pick up can ally, I can't even soup.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Is unbound still a thing? Can you just throw everything you own into a completely legal list that just doesn’t get any CP or army specific bonuses?

• Options
    I watched that batrep, that was a really interesting use of cultists. I would have never have thought to use them that way.

The amount of cringe-y shit talking from Nick Nanavati sure dropped off once he started losing. Also, saying that he thought the Redemptor was trash so he never even bothered to learn its rules seemed kinda weird. You're a tournament player and you haven't bothered to at least take a cursory glance at the datasheet for one of the biggest new releases in the Space Marines line since the beginning of 8th edition?

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Is unbound still a thing? Can you just throw everything you own into a completely legal list that just doesn’t get any CP or army specific bonuses?

Sort of, but not really. Armies can be divided into battle-forged and not, which would be your previous unbound. Being unbound locks you out of most strategems, etc, but more than that also locks you out of Matched Play. Games are divided into three types, Matched Play (intended for tournaments, e.g maximum attempts at balanced play), Narrative Play (Less restrictions than Matched, intended for Forging the Narrative) and Open Play (Do whatever.)

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think I've gotten bored of thinking about new armies after I finish my Fists.

I now no longer want to buy Thousand Sons, or Necrons. I kind of want to do an Invaders Primaris army.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Death Korps!
    T1E7Vd4.jpg

Counterpoint: the sheer number of DIFFERENT enemy factions who not only feel right at home wearing other peoples' faces as flash and bling, but can keep those severed faces screaming while they do so kinda takes the bite out of 'we sure do have lots of metal skulls on our hats." :biggrin:

6gl55im7v4nh.jpg
    I want to try to build this outfit for halloween and go to work in it

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

Death Korps!
    T1E7Vd4.jpg

Counter-counterpoint: between the Great Crusade and just doing, like... imperium stuff, I'm p sure the Astra Militarum has murdered more people just minding their own bidness than the entire Aeldari ever thought to.

• Options
    Looks like GW eased up a bit on the no model, no rules for the DE HQs a bit. Succubus can take Wych weapons. On the other hand Archon lost the Blaster. GW moves in mysterious ways.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Looks like GW eased up a bit on the no model, no rules for the DE HQs a bit. Succubus can take Wych weapons. On the other hand Archon lost the Blaster. GW moves in mysterious ways.

They kind of had to. Monopose, single build models are silly when each faction only has a single HQ choice.

Battalions and brigades already look real samey with the Drukhari, I can tell you that now.

• Options
    It just seems so haphazard in its implementation.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I watched that batrep, that was a really interesting use of cultists. I would have never have thought to use them that way.

The amount of cringe-y shit talking from Nick Nanavati sure dropped off once he started losing. Also, saying that he thought the Redemptor was trash so he never even bothered to learn its rules seemed kinda weird. You're a tournament player and you haven't bothered to at least take a cursory glance at the datasheet for one of the biggest new releases in the Space Marines line since the beginning of 8th edition?

Not that I'm involved in it, so this is blatant shit talk from someone who has no idea ( :) ), but it really seems the tournament stuff has a ways to go. A depressing ways to go, even. Tournament rules being so different from normal games is probably a huge part of it as well as different tournaments having different rules....

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Not that I'm involved in it, so this is blatant shit talk from someone who has no idea ( :) ), but it really seems the tournament stuff has a ways to go. A depressing ways to go, even. Tournament rules being so different from normal games is probably a huge part of it as well as different tournaments having different rules....

Most of the US stuff tends to follow the ITC baseline which is produced by the Frontline Gaming Folks. This is especially true for the big tourneys like Adepticon, Nova, LVO, SoCal Open, and so on. The missions and packets are all released before the tournament. Scoring and rules are known months in advance. And almost all use the Best Coast Pairings app to maintain and run them. Overall the tournament scene is actually pretty well organized in the US.

Europe, especially the UK, is a bit different as GW runs most of it there. They use their own match play missions. This produces a very very different meta than the US as the scoring is very different. Orks in the UK are doing well, they aren't in the US for example. GW does work with FLG and a lot of the big tourney reps to actually get feedback and be involved.

Whatever is local is just by whoever runs it and what they want. Some will be ITC and thus will run those specific rules and point systems. Some will do a GW style. Some will make it up. Whatever the local scene wants.

GW has never done that WotC did with Magic by formalizing the whole thing and basically taking it over.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The thing with the Redemptor reminded me of a Quake speedrun I saw once where a guy missed a jump and fell off of a platform into a room below. He just sort of sat there confused and had to restart his entire run because he had never been in that room before and didn't know how to get out of it. It was a room that you would normally pass through in a regular playthrough.

The guy had never done a normal playthrough of Quake, and had no idea how to actually play the game. All he knew was the most extreme, hypercompetitive way to play the game. He wasn't even really playing the game, he was just exploiting it to achieve a specific result. That's how I think tournament players play 40k. They aren't playing the game itself, they're just using every rule they possibly can to out-exploit the other guy. Sure, that's the point, but still.

I liked watching the game because it showed me an interesting way to utilize a unit (or, since I don't play chaos it's more accurately an interesting way that my opponent can utilize a unit that I will have to keep an eye out for), but the guy didn't know what a Redemptor Dreadnought did, and from the looks of things had never even heard of an Open War deck, so it just reinforces the notion that tournament players aren't playing the same game that I am playing.

• Options
    I've been to quite a few tournaments at this point and it's still very rarely that I've seen somebody playing in some kind of non-standard or extreme way. It's undoubtedly more common at the top tables (I'm middling at best) but the average competitive player really isn't playing a different game to you.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Is anyone interested in buying or trading for the Death Guard half of Dark Imperium? I'm on an indefinite hiatus from 40k and I know I was never intending to play/paint Death Guard anyway.

PM me and we can work something out. Whole set. You can't just take the poxwalkers!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
This discussion has been closed.