As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want surround sound, what buy?

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
To make something clear from the start, I'm not much of an audiophile. I've worked with setting up speakers before but my hearing's kind of shoddy as is, so I don't care too much about subtle differences in sound.

That said, I still really like the experience of surround sound. And, conveniently, our basement has come prewired for it. There's mountings and cables for a sound bar above our TV along with two speakers in the front and two speakers in the back corners of the room. I'm having trouble parsing what kind of system I need for this.

What I'd like, if anyone could help, are recommendations for anything that'd fit that setup. Preferably under a thousand bucks. Otherwise I need to figure out what to do with all these cables running through my wall.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    You said sound bar, but if you have the wiring you indicated I'd suggest a center channel speaker instead as part of a 5.1 (or greater) system. That ".1" is the subwoofer which is a larger powered component; and your wiring sounds like it's for a 5.1 system. Your other speakers would be powered by your receiver which is something I assume you already have. Do you have a receiver? A decent one is going to cost a couple bills, but you can still get a 5.1 speaker system to your needs under $1K including the receiver.

Edit: I would make sure to get full range speakers for your center and front left and front right (ideally all around) and not tiny single drivers.

Djeet on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    OH

That makes waaaayyyy more sense now.

Quid on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Newegg has a deal on this 5.1 Energy Take Classic set which is pretty sweet for what you get: https://slickdeals.net/f/10557796-energy-take-classic-5-1-home-theater-system-162-ac

you will need an AV receiver with this though.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I have an older version of this speaker set that sounds really nice. No sub included, but I found I didn't need one in an apartment. A larger room you'll want to add a sub to. As above, you'd need a receiver. A decent Yamaha would be fine, Denon if you want to spend a bit more.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    This thread is also relevant to my interests as these days just about any movie that comes out on BluRay doesn't have a stereo option so dialogue is almost impossible to hear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    This thread is also relevant to my interests as these days just about any movie that comes out on BluRay doesn't have a stereo option so dialogue is almost impossible to hear.

this is only rarely fixed by having a full sound system with a center channel

it's the movie companies being too cheap to re-mix the sound for home sound systems

so it still has the dynamic range of the theater with the louds being the right loud in a giant room but way too loud for your living room

so you turn it down to not blast your ears

and now the quiet things (like dialogue) are all whispers

it infuriates me

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's a little ugly, but the Sony Muteki surround system will blow your fucking face off if you turn it up. You should be able to find them going cheap on Craigslist or eBay or whatever.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    How decent/affordable are wireless surround sound systems these days?

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

it's the movie companies being too cheap to re-mix the sound for home sound systems

so it still has the dynamic range of the theater with the louds being the right loud in a giant room but way too loud for your living room

it infuriates me

This kills me too. It's such a pain to have to bump up the volume for dialog scenes and then sudden jump into an action scene that is REALLY loud.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

it infuriates me

Oh really? It seemed to be only a problem when watching on physical media as streamed content works fine. Do the streaming providers require them to or something? I know back when i first started running into this problem ( admittedly like 8 years ago) the same DVD played on a system with even a minimal more than stereo setup resulted in audible dialog.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

it infuriates me

Oh really? It seemed to be only a problem when watching on physical media as streamed content works fine. Do the streaming providers require them to or something? I know back when i first started running into this problem ( admittedly like 8 years ago) the same DVD played on a system with even a minimal more than stereo setup resulted in audible dialog.

I'm not sure, but I would guess most streaming isn't in a surround sound format.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I would assume streaming services are doing some tweaking/compression to the audio since they have to transcode it into whatever format they're using in the first place.

And there's someone actually on the line to hear people complain if the audio sucks.

At the very least they have some pull with the movie companies since they're paying $$$ to get the streaming rights and can probably ask them for better quality files if they suck.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I haven't had 5.1 in a long time, but we would always up the volume on the center channel speaker, since that's where a lot of the dialog comes from.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    How decent/affordable are wireless surround sound systems these days?

The only one I've ever liked is Sonos, and for a complete set (soundbar, sub, and two rear channels) you're looking at nearly two grand.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter