As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thank[Steam] Thread: Autumn Sale until November 28th!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    at the risk of coming off as an asshole for not getting it, this post certainly made me feel bad

edit: to clarify, as someone who struggles with their gender identity the attack helicopter thing and "lol gender" stuff rubs me the wrong way.

It made me feel bad and I'm 100% straight white male. Magic Pink can be a bit much sometimes, but the response was classless and gauche.

As the worst segue of all time and speaking of gauche, I'm back to building things in ARK. Please send help. I still need to beat at least one game this month, and I'm pretty far into Deus Ex Human Revolution, so perhaps I'll go polish that off. Just as soon as I'm finished laying out these foundations here in ARK . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Played abit of the Risen demo.

Notice people constantly shitting on all their non gothic 1-2 games but doesn't seem that bad.

Its on sale for two bucks over at the humble store. Probably going to grab it since I'm a sucker for open world action RPGs and give it a shot after I finish Divinity OS which should be over soon.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Notice people constantly shitting on all their non gothic 1-2 games but doesn't seem that bad.

Its on sale for two bucks over at the humble store. Probably going to grab it since I'm a sucker for open world action RPGs and give it a shot after I finish Divinity OS which should be over soon.

I enjoyed playing it until I got to ruins that were full of stupid lizard people I couldn't kill with my build, and there's no respecs or grinding so that was that. Got quite a few hours of enjoyment out of it but was a bit of a bummer to run into a dead end like that.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Huh, it looks like steam has the developer page fucked for that dev. Clicking the dev's link on risen takes you to all the risen games, but there's a different link for the gothic ones that only shows the gothic games.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Heat Signature is out now.

I'm watching Austin Walker play it on Waypoint's twitch stream and it looks AWESOME. He accidentally got spotted and had like 4-5 guys running towards the room he had retreated into. Solution? Use a teleporter-swapper on the guy in the very back of the pack, knock out the rest at once with a concussive beam blast, teleporter wears off and he switches places back with the last guy, turns the corner and kills him.

Then, a few minutes later, having completed the mission but being chased by literally everyone still conscious on the ship, he escapes by running into a room with some kind of reactor or something in it, shooting it with a gun, and it blows up that section of the ship, expelling him into space, where he remotely gets his pod-ship to pick him up and flies away.

Yeah I'm buying this the second I get home. Kind of mindblowing all this was made in gamemaker.

edit: Also, someone in chat mused that you could probably use that teleporter swapper thing on someone and dive out an airlock before it wears off, which I am definitely trying.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I enjoyed playing it until I got to ruins that were full of stupid lizard people I couldn't kill with my build, and there's no respecs or grinding so that was that. Got quite a few hours of enjoyment out of it but was a bit of a bummer to run into a dead end like that.
    Was there anywhere else you could go?

From what I'm reading, it sounds kind of like New Vegas in that the world is open but it doesn't scale so some places will just naturally whip you until you're more leveled.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

This is also a pretty neat mechanic:

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    For those unaware, Heat Signature is made by the same dev as Gunpoint. I liked Gunpoint, so I look forward to hearing more about this one.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    EDIT: oops, I am the latez
    SteevL wrote: »

This gives you two keys: one for the base game, and one for the DLC.!

Zavian on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

This is also a pretty neat mechanic:

As some one who games very sporadically and is unreliable for getting in on multi player, this seems like a really nice way to play with friends while still playing on my own, limited schedule.

Not sure what the rest of the gameplay is like, but that game had at least my passing interest now.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I do like that sort of asynchronous interaction with Steam friends. Two other games I know that do something with your friends list are Super House of Dead Ninjas and Shadow of Mordor.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Wow, now I want to look into Gunpoint. HS could easily eat up my evenings.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I do like that sort of asynchronous interaction with Steam friends. Two other games I know that do something with your friends list are Super House of Dead Ninjas and Shadow of Mordor.

Also, there's that other game that has a similar mechanic, not sure if it's really spoilers or not, but....
    Oxenfree has a cool friends list mechanic like that if your friends ever played Oxenfree

Zavian on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Wow, now I want to look into Gunpoint. HS could easily eat up my evenings.

Gunpoint has been super cheap and in multiple bundles. It was also a major inspiration for Ronin if you ever tried that one. I feel like it's similar to Deadbolt too as well. Does that seem accurate?

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    at the risk of coming off as an ssshole for not getting it, this post certainly made me feel bad

edit: to clarify, as someone who struggles with their gender identity the attack helicopter thing and "lol gender" stuff rubs me the wrong way.

I didn't mean to make you feel bad, and I apologize. I made that post because when magic pink says something like "That's a bad opinion, you must be X" (and I happen to be X) it makes me feel bad.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Let's all move on, shall we?

• Options
    Man, Divinity OS 2 looks so good (you can steal people's faces!), but the last thing I need is another game in the backlog. I've been doing so good burning my backlog down too.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Beeing playing D:OS2 coop, and it's been super fun. Play a couple hours a night and do a quest or two, and it feels kinda like a short PnP session, except with less rampant drunkenness and arguing with GM what a regulation-sized scoop is. (Of course, this is from the perspective who doesn't fuck with MMOs.)

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Hmm, the developer of HeatSig/Gunpoint said on Twitter that the game does have an ending, which makes it more appealing to me. I was worried it was just going to be a random roguelike type game with no ending and procedurally generated everything.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Moving on it feels like it's been a really long time since I've done a game giveaway thing.
    Since no one in our household has cancer now (that I know of), funds aren't quite as tied up.
    I'm going to give away a copy of this Heat Signature game. It looks cool and I liked Gunpoint.
    Here's the rules:
    It's a crazy sci-fi universe and everyone's running around in space. You've hired someone to infiltrate a spaceship.
    PM the details about it.

Here's the details I want you to send me.
    1. Who are you?
    2. What are you hiring them to do on the spaceship?
    3. Why?

An example:
    I'm Silas Finger, a moderately successful space whaler. No one important. But twenty five years ago the Graff family ran my mother's spice trade into the ground, leading the collapse of the family business.
    So you've saved up for years to hire a fixer to sneak on board the Graff's flagship, knock out the crew and leave the ship adrift with it's airlocks open.

You don't need to write me a whole story ot even a paragraph, but I need those three core details.

Then tomorrow (9/22) at 3pm pacific time I'll check all the valid entries and randomly pick one via Geth. So it's not a judgement of merit on your submission etc. I just like making people work for it a teensy bit and the answers are entertaining.
    mtj4bj8o0pqa.png

Also include your steam account if we're not already friends.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    BundleStars is selling Wolfenstein: The New Order + The Old Blood for $8.99 right now, with a limited amount available. That is a great deal for those games, and both are worth playing.

I believe I've been hit with a small conversion fee when buying stuff through them before, so be aware of that if you're in the US.

• Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Man, Divinity OS 2 looks so good (you can steal people's faces!), but the last thing I need is another game in the backlog. I've been doing so good burning my backlog down too.

Whaaat. Can I name my character Castor Troy? I was already sold on the game based on the trailer showing some sort of carpet bombing fire attack and walking around in a barrel (because I'm easily amused and MGS cardboard box walking was my fave).

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hmm, the developer of HeatSig/Gunpoint said on Twitter that the game does have an ending, which makes it more appealing to me. I was worried it was just going to be a random roguelike type game with no ending and procedurally generated everything.

Gunpoint did have a discrete ending and some really entertaining writing so I kind of expected Heat Signature to end somewhere too. I wonder more if there's still entertaining writing to peruse between mission hijinks.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Everybody who is looking forward to Steamworld Dig 2 is in for a treat tomorrow. I didn't play the first one, so I can't compare it to that, but it is one of the best platformers I've played in a while. There are a lot of things to upgrade, the exploration is very satisfying, and the combat is fun so far. Been awhile since a game has gotten its hooks into me so quickly.

• Options

Gunpoint did have a discrete ending and some really entertaining writing so I kind of expected Heat Signature to end somewhere too. I wonder more if there's still entertaining writing to peruse between mission hijinks.

Yeah, Tom Francis said HeatSig has an ending, but doesn't have a post game blog the way Gunpoint did.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Gunpoint also was a bunch of preset levels, not a rogue lite

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Everybody who is looking forward to Steamworld Dig 2 is in for a treat tomorrow. I didn't play the first one, so I can't compare it to that, but it is one of the best platformers I've played in a while. There are a lot of things to upgrade, the exploration is very satisfying, and the combat is fun so far. Been awhile since a game has gotten its hooks into me so quickly.

You should play the first one because it was fantastic, but I obviously can't tell how the second one improved over the first, so your mileage may vary.

• Options
    BladeX wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

Whaaat. Can I name my character Castor Troy? I was already sold on the game based on the trailer showing some sort of carpet bombing fire attack and walking around in a barrel (because I'm easily amused and MGS cardboard box walking was my fave).

If you want to steal faces I think you have to:
    Make an undead character. Who (possible gameplay spoilers but it's not super spoilery):
    Has to steal faces and wear them to appear human. Other people don't react well to undead monsters, so you wear an edgar suit.

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Congrats to...

@EvmaAlsar
    signature.png
    @cB557
    signature.png
    @skinkbaa
    signature.png

Thanks to everyone that entered and thanks to everyone that sent me well wishes for my bday.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

You should play the first one because it was fantastic, but I obviously can't tell how the second one improved over the first, so your mileage may vary.

I do wish I played the first one because the second one immediately references it, and the plot begins with you searching for the character from the first game.

• Options

I do wish I played the first one because the second one immediately references it, and the plot begins with you searching for the character from the first game.

In case you're not aware, the first one is free on Origin right now.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Oats wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    I'm having a fun new issue with Steam. It refuses to write to one of my hard drives. It writes to the other one just fine though.

Chkdsk and SMART both come back clean for the drive. No bad sectors, nothing. The drive itself is about fourth months old, and the issue began a few days ago.

The Blizzard Launcher and every other program I've tried can write to the disk fine. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Steam, I've followed all the support articles in their Knowledge Base, nothing fixes it.

I put in a ticket with their support, and Valve's official response has been to direct me to their knowledge base and then to their subreddit.

To say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

Could you, by chance, have removed the drive as a target for Steam? I remember having to set up my secondary drive in Steam so that it recognized it as a place to store games, where it creates a directory structure and everything. Sounds like it could be that some important file/structure was lost.

Since the issue started, I have scoured every reference to Steam on the drive, deleted the library within Steam, partitioned off a smaller chunk of the drive, formatted that partition fully, added a new Steam Library on the new, empty volume and I get the same results.
    Drake wrote: »
    I'm having a fun new issue with Steam. It refuses to write to one of my hard drives. It writes to the other one just fine though.

Chkdsk and SMART both come back clean for the drive. No bad sectors, nothing. The drive itself is about fourth months old, and the issue began a few days ago.

The Blizzard Launcher and every other program I've tried can write to the disk fine. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Steam, I've followed all the support articles in their Knowledge Base, nothing fixes it.

I put in a ticket with their support, and Valve's official response has been to direct me to their knowledge base and then to their subreddit.

To say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

Sounds like it might be an issue with read/write permissions. And that's a pretty terrible response from support.

I've changed Steam so it's running as Admin, and I've set the drive to overwrite permissions with the drive-level permissions which is set to full control for all users and SYSTEM.

The closest I've found to a similar issue in ~6 hours of bashing my head against this wall performing labour so Valve don't have to pay someone research is an issue specific to the UNIX fork of Steam, which is unresolved. Everything seems to point towards the drive failing or Steam not having the correct permissions but no other program or utility seems to corroborate that.

Thank you both for the suggestions though. Truly.

Hmmm... Odd question: do you have an antivirus in your machine? Maybe it is protecting the drive from being written by the steam executable in particular. And maybe it started after an update...

Tried with AV fully disabled this morning, no joy.

I've ordered a 1TB SSD from Amazon. Here's hoping it's an otherwise invisible hardware problem I guess?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Too... many... games...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Hey, everyone is talking about Heat Signature and nobody is talking about The Journey Down: Chapter 3, and that makes me sad.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

In case you're not aware, the first one is free on Origin right now.

Yeah that is how I got it and it was downright addicting.

• Options
    Have you tried reinstalling steam? Have you checked the file permissions for that drive?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Teleporting people into space makes Heat Signature sound very appealing. That Divinity OS 2 multiplayer stuff looks rad and I hope it's good enough to basically run whole DnD campaigns with. Gotta beat OS1 and probably wait for a sale first.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Teleporting people into space makes Heat Signature sound very appealing. That Divinity OS 2 multiplayer stuff looks rad and I hope it's good enough to basically run whole DnD campaigns with. Gotta beat OS1 and probably wait for a sale first.

There's a youtube/twitch video where Matt Mercer uses a prerelease version to run a short campaign for four other youtube personalities. It's hilarious and worth watching.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Hey have some keys!

Caveblazers

Loading...?

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Marooners

Loading...?