As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

come Play With Us in the [podcast] thread

Indie WinterIndie Winter die KräheRudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    podcasts are bad, go away

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    I just don’t like listening to recordings of podcast liveshows

Sorry the dollop

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Ben Pack loves Bionicle, all is right with the world

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I was watching a few of the Waypoint Presents episodes, and two thoughts I had

I'm actually surprised how little the Waypoint people are in them, Austin or Danielle introduce and close the episode and that's it

and that Magic the Gathering episode has me thinking about...some stuff...about this game I've never played but I've recently learned to like card games...

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    okay I'm sorry but
    I endured Austin's cringe-y rustic accent thing to get through the overview episodes so I could understand the story of Hieron
    I just started the first episode of Winter in Hieron, after those episodes
    Spoilers, I guess, for the first thirty minutes
    An arrow is shot at someone in the first minute.

They spend the next 30 minutes discussing printing presses, canning, fishing, the exact location of the nearby river, cartography, the benefits of cartography and how the industry of cartography is doing in this world, the frequency of travel between where they're from and where they're going and how often this one character has been to the town and how they feel about it

And then, 30 minutes after the arrow was shot, someone takes cover

CUT TO ANOTHER CHARACTER IN AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT REGION OF THE WORLD

Let's talk about the library in this city and the general geopolitical situation there

Like. What. Is. Friends. At. The. Table. Doing.

I am really trying here guys

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWOsewETmS8
    Dan's auctioneer voice while he narrates absolutely everything he has to do is destroying me

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    okay I'm sorry but
    I endured Austin's cringe-y rustic accent thing to get through the overview episodes so I could understand the story of Hieron

They spend the next 30 minutes discussing printing presses, canning, fishing, the exact location of the nearby river, cartography, the benefits of cartography and how the industry of cartography is doing in this world, the frequency of travel between where they're from and where they're going and how often this one character has been to the town and how they feel about it

Let's talk about the library in this city and the general geopolitical situation there

Friends at the Table is an actual play podcast about critical worldbuilding, smart characterization, and fun interaction between good friends

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    okay I'm sorry but

This is pretty much what the show is

If you're not into it you aren't likely to change your mind which hey, that's fine, it's not for everybody

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    okay I'm sorry but

Friends at the Table is an actual play podcast about critical worldbuilding, smart characterization, and fun interaction between good friends

That was some of that critical worldbuilding there.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    okay I'm sorry but

There's critical worldbuilding and then there's actively destructive narrative interruption.

Idk, I just really want to like this series since everyone talks it up so much and it's made by good people but it feels like an episode of Sleep With Me with how much it meanders and talks about minutiae.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not trying to be overly critical. I'm just looking for an explanation of what makes this podcast good and listenable that doesn't just come back with the response that I "just don't get it"

Viktor Walters on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    this episode of friends at the table has made me hungo for gumbo

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    okay I'm sorry but

There's critical worldbuilding and then there's actively destructive narrative interruption.

Idk, I just really want to like this series since everyone talks it up so much and it's made by good people but it feels like an episode of Sleep With Me with how much it meanders and talks about minutiae.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not trying to be overly critical. I'm just looking for an explanation of what makes this podcast good and listenable that doesn't just come back with the response that I "just don't get it"

Don't they talk about characters and what they're doing and why they're doing it each time someone new comes up in that first combat?

Otherwise people like that show because it offers some really great narratives and character work and makes a very cool world

I don't know what you're looking for from us? If you don't like it or don't 'get it' that's totally fine.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    okay I'm sorry but

For what it's worth I found the fantasy stuff a lot harder to get into and fell off Winter in Hieron after about 10 episodes or so (around the xmas ones I think?) I can't quite put my finger on why, but it felt like the episodes were a lot longer and harder to pay attention to than the prior stuff (I've not even approached season 1)

However Twilight Mirage is excellent thusfar

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

I'm actually surprised how little the Waypoint people are in them, Austin or Danielle introduce and close the episode and that's it

and that Magic the Gathering episode has me thinking about...some stuff...about this game I've never played but I've recently learned to like card games...

Mr. G

I could tell you about some Magic the Gathering

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I think Twilight Mirage is a bit faster paced, but I've also only listened to the first 6 or 7 episodes of the season

• Options
    okay I'm sorry but

I like the worldbuilding enough that just stopping everything to explain random stuff is a plus for me.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    MTG is bad

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The thing that really wound me up during Marielda though was "How do I solve this problem?" "How about a skill check in a skill I didn't invest in because I didn't build to support how I wanted to play?" it's petty I know but I can't help it :( I liked that series but maaaan

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    I kind of love how the characters in marielda wound up feeding into the overarching narrative of the season

why do we try even if we know we're going to fail

• Options
    The thing that really wound me up during Marielda though was "How do I solve this problem?" "How about a skill check in a skill I didn't invest in because I didn't build to support how I wanted to play?" it's petty I know but I can't help it :( I liked that series but maaaan

Except Sige, he was good at beating stuff up and he fucking did that.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    MTG is bad

Some of the MtG community is bad, but the game is pretty dang fun, actually. And the fact that they've managed to put out new content for nearly 25 years without insane power creep or completely throwing out/overhauling things is incredibly impressive.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    okay I'm sorry but

Don't they talk about characters and what they're doing and why they're doing it each time someone new comes up in that first combat?

Otherwise people like that show because it offers some really great narratives and character work and makes a very cool world

I don't know what you're looking for from us? If you don't like it or don't 'get it' that's totally fine.

Oh, so this is just the intro-episode stuff? They don't interrupt scenes with flashbacks all the time later? I guess it's an interesting asynchronous storytelling trick if that's what they're doing right now.
    Someone just tried to cast the spell Darkness, at which point Austin switched the scene to the ritual prayer that it took to learn the spell Darkness and what the week leading up to it was like. It's gone from painful to comedic to me at this point. But if they're actively doing a disordered narrative thing as the intro, I can stick that out.

• Options

Except Sige, he was good at beating stuff up and he fucking did that.

That's what really got me, there was a living example of hey maybe do this? right there.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    I'll always forgive that season though, purely for describing Castille as statuesque.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    okay I'm sorry but

Oh, so this is just the intro-episode stuff? They don't interrupt scenes with flashbacks all the time later? I guess it's an interesting asynchronous storytelling trick if that's what they're doing right now.
    Someone just tried to cast the spell Darkness, at which point Austin switched the scene to the ritual prayer that it took to learn the spell Darkness and what the week leading up to it was like. It's gone from painful to comedic to me at this point. But if they're actively doing a disordered narrative thing as the intro, I can stick that out.

yeah i dunno if you've ever seen a coen brothers movie but austin underscore walker loves to do some of them tricks

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I auditioned for a new audio drama podcast a few weeks ago!

I got called back for the lead!

I am waiting now!

I also listen to many podcasts

Podcasts are good

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I auditioned for a new audio drama podcast a few weeks ago!

I got called back for the lead!

I am waiting now!

I also listen to many podcasts

Podcasts are good

Oh man that's super cool!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Playing MTG is very fun

Maintaining a deck and dealing with the MTG secondary market and the way that wizards sells cards is shitty enough that I'd probably never try to convince anyone to get into the hobby

I basically play limited events only and thats a pretty good time

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Go play mtg this weekend, there is a new set out about dinosaurs and pirates

• Options
    Go play mtg this weekend, there is a new set out about dinosaurs and pirates

Also vampires and mermaids!

I am very excited molly

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Mr. G

I literally don't even know how you start with it

like, does it have a core set like Netrunner?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Mr. G

No but you can buy starter decks that are about on par power wise with what you could make from the netrunner core set

Best suggestion on how to get into magic

Buy two starter decks

Play with a friend

• Options

Mr. G

I learned how to play via the Duels of the Planeswalkers games on steam, and I still think they're very good at teaching the basics

• Options
    My friends that introduced me to Magic had already been playing for years so they let me use decks they'd built that were very strongly themed, which was pretty cool because they picked stuff they thought I'd engage with that focused on specific mechanics so I wouldn't be overwhelmed. Then once I got more familiar with it I went out and bought a couple theme decks that sounded cool.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Mr. G

No but you can buy starter decks that are about on par power wise with what you could make from the netrunner core set

Best suggestion on how to get into magic

Buy two starter decks

Play with a friend

I don't know if it was a special promotion or if it's a regular thing, but at some point a game store I was at was giving away free starter decks. They were fewer cards than a standard Magic deck, but that's not a problem if both players are using them.

• Options
    @Mr. G what if any tcgs have you played?

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    okay I'm sorry but

This is pretty much what the show is

If you're not into it you aren't likely to change your mind which hey, that's fine, it's not for everybody

Also the first episode of Winter In Hieron is about taking time every time someone does an action to do a love letter. It's like, The Point. They don't do that for every action ever.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Marielda and every bad roll is entirely worth it because of the moment when they all realize that nobody took Prowl

• Options
    Mr. G" what if any tcgs have you played?

as an adult I have enjoyed Netrunner

as a kid I played the Pokemon game and Yu-Gi-Oh and gun to my head I could not tell you how to play those games now

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G" what if any tcgs have you played?

as an adult I have enjoyed Netrunner

as a kid I played the Pokemon game and Yu-Gi-Oh and gun to my head I could not tell you how to play those games now

Magic has a lot less at the like, core gameplay loop to learn than netrunner, so you can hit the ground running fast

The hard stuff is the minutae of how some of the rules work, but you dont have to worry about that for a while

This discussion has been closed.