As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    So i bought path of fire, and whilst I do enjoy the game i feel somewhat lost as i play it along side FF14 and a little rift and WoW I get that its major selling point is its unlike the "holy trinity" and thats fine but I was wondering what newbie advice you would give to someone starting out?

Get used to dodging by key/button press over the double tap. I bound my mouse's back button to that so it's only a click away and I can comfortably do it while moving.

Try to have a stun breaker or stability granting skill on your utility bar when going around solo. In the expansion content the difficulty ramps up and getting CCed by mobs can be a death sentence if you can't break out.

Get used to fighting in melee range no matter your class. A lot of skills provide boons to nearby players and you want to be close by the warrior throwing out Might, the Chronomancer throwing out Alacrity, etc. Boon sharing can be make or break on some open world bosses with timers.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'm digging the no downed state in wuvwuv. Gonna try to play a fair bit while this is going on.

Here is a fun bit of combat I had today.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfY9aTSBIII

Sonork on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Getting back into this after a looooong break, but I really wanna wait for my next paycheck so I can grab PoF and make travel easier.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'm a little ashamed to admit I bought the Choya harvester.

I'm telling myself it was for the glyph.

But...it probably wasn't....

• Options
    greebzillagreebzilla Registered User regular
    playing for the first time in a long time as well. managed to finally finish the original story as well as Heart of Thorns so far, and moving through the living story before I start the latest expansion. I've been eyeing the permanent harvester tools. Are they worth it? I'm sad that they seem character specific.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Getting back into this after a looooong break, but I really wanna wait for my next paycheck so I can grab PoF and make travel easier.

Totes go for it! Keep in mind you can hop in now if you'd like, game's free now! That said, mounts are a lot of fun :) People jumping into it expecting another movement speed increase are gonna be pleasantly surprised!
    greebzilla wrote: »
    playing for the first time in a long time as well. managed to finally finish the original story as well as Heart of Thorns so far, and moving through the living story before I start the latest expansion. I've been eyeing the permanent harvester tools. Are they worth it? I'm sad that they seem character specific.

They are character specific, though the proc benefits you get from certain ones are now glyphs so at least there's that! As to whether they're worth it, it depends on how much you plan on playing. It takes a loooooooooooooooot of gathering nodes before they pay for themselves, so it's primarily for the convenience factor. If you play a certain character a lot and are getting annoyed at having to stock up on extra gathering tools at the vendor, go for it!

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Agreed. Mounts alone make PoF worth the price of admission. They completely change your interaction with the world while still maintaining all the fun of exploration.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Man, I have to say, I'm normally very patient when it comes to updates, but the total and complete radio silence on this one plus with how late it is... yeah.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Man, I have to say, I'm normally very patient when it comes to updates, but the total and complete radio silence on this one plus with how late it is... yeah.

They actually posted a couple weeks ago about the delay on the latest update.

http://dulfy.net/2018/05/29/gw2-living-world-season-4-episode-3-release-delayed/

253J736.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    naengwen wrote: »
    It takes a loooooooooooooooot of gathering nodes before they pay for themselves, so it's primarily for the convenience factor. If you play a certain character a lot and are getting annoyed at having to stock up on extra gathering tools at the vendor, go for it!

I’ve actually found the guild hall really takes the edge off feeling like I have to buy permanent gathering tools. If I run out it’s like a 30 second trip to the guild hall to get more, a minor annoyance at best.

On a side note, after buying this game in 2012 I FINALLY finished the personal story on a character for the first time last night. Hooray! Now onto the...living world...

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

Those are some of the best things I've ever spent gems on(aside from the bank space). Permanent harvester tools, a copper fed salvage-o-matic, and some extra shared inventory slots. 'Course the trade off is that I haven't spent much on any cosmetic stuff. I didn't have to spend real money on it either. I convert my gold to gems and buy stuff that way.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2018
    Got Path of Fire! I boosted my Revenant to 80. What’s a good build for mucking about the world solo? I only have a 2H Hammer and dual swords, and no elite specs (yet).

EDIT: Is there a particular mount I should prioritize acquiring?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Got Path of Fire! I boosted my Revenant to 80. What’s a good build for mucking about the world solo? I only have a 2H Hammer and dual swords, and no elite specs (yet).

doing the story quests will get you the first two mounts which are the most important. The last two are optional and you get them outside of story but they're good and handy. There's also a super secret mount that's awesome but you didn't hear it from me.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Poketpixie wrote: »

Those are some of the best things I've ever spent gems on(aside from the bank space). Permanent harvester tools, a copper fed salvage-o-matic, and some extra shared inventory slots. 'Course the trade off is that I haven't spent much on any cosmetic stuff. I didn't spend real money on it either. I convert my gold to gems and buy stuff that way.

If you're looking for QoL improvements from gems, this is correct. The Copper fed salvage-o-matic is probably the best thing you can buy, it makes inventory management so much better; but just the copper one, the silver one is a huge money sink. The shared inventory slots are extremely handy if you're an alt fiend, as it saves you bank trips each time you swap characters. If you get all of those, you may as well grab the permanent tools to minimize your visits to the merchant.

Additionally, if there is a permanent contract to one of the VIP areas available, that would also be a handy purchase. Each of them include portals to the major cities, cost nothing to use, and come equipped with all crafting stations, mystic forges, and various other neat features. You already have the Lily of Elon VIP area if you bought the deluxe edition for PoF, otherwise I highly recommend the Mistlock Sanctuary as it has a bunch of fractal related vendors, fun mini-games, and is in permanent low-grav. Another fun one to combine with your mounts and gliders is the Airship, which gives you a diving platform to the rest of Gendarran Fields. And if you don't care about that, just use the guild hall to get where you wanna go, or the WvW lobby to get to Lion's Arch :)

Bank slots are decent if you get a bunch of items you don't wanna throw away. There are regular bag slots too, but don't worry as much about 'em. Especially for alts, as number of bag slots is not account-wide. Inventory management is going to be a bother no matter what, and if you are low on bank space and looking for pure real estate, then it's cheaper to roll up an alt and stuff em with 20 slot bags.

Don't spend gems on boosters or transmutation charges or metabolic primers. The first you'll get enough of through account incentives alone, especially if you are a returning player you should have a birthday booster or two. New players will get plenty of transmutation charges once they're at the point that they have enough armor options unlocked that they really wanna invest in it. The food you'll wanna use during leveling is stupidly cheap, so the primers extending a single food or utility to 12 hours is unnecessary.

You'll wanna get an elite spec completed to make things easier. As a revenant, the herald is more support oriented but is a general jack of all trades; on the other hand, the renegade is a fantastic damage spec and will give you a bunch of tools to mow down enemies quickly. I'd recommend the latter if you're feeling like it takes too long to kill things, and the former if you're having trouble staying alive.

If you need any help getting hero points done, ask around on map or in guild if people are available, or just keep an eye out in LFG for "Hero Point trains" in whatever map you're in. The ones in Path of Fire aren't as difficult as Heart of Thorns, so you shouldn't have too much trouble solo'ing any of them; that said, unless you do all the hero points on the core maps, or jump over to Heart of Thorns, you'll likely only have enough to get a single elite spec unlocked so choose carefully!

As for mounts, you should get the raptor as soon as you start the story. It'll point you in the direction of the springer for another step, then the skimmer will be heavily suggested at later. If you're having trouble finding them, just start doing hearts on the maps. Other than that secret one which definitely doesn't exist, each mount is tied to a certain heart on a particular map.

Also don't worry too much about farming exp for mastery; for the most part you should get enough points to unlock mount abilities as you go, other than the final tier of each mount which are mostly superfluous. In fact, I'd recommend if you start leveling the final mastery rank for one mount, and have another unleveled mount mastery unlocked, switch your mastery training to level up that other mount instead.

• Options
    hmm I wish I had read this earlier :) I purchased the silver salvage-o-matic as it was on sale (I was wondering why Copper cost more).
    I wound up also buying the choya harvesting and logging tools. are they new? I didn't see a mining tool yet. the 'additional resources' sounded appealing, although I am wondering if I fell for some marketing.

I am enjoying the slower pace here and going through the living stories vs my rush to the end pacing in other games.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    hmm I wish I had read this earlier :) I purchased the silver salvage-o-matic as it was on sale (I was wondering why Copper cost more).
    I wound up also buying the choya harvesting and logging tools. are they new? I didn't see a mining tool yet. the 'additional resources' sounded appealing, although I am wondering if I fell for some marketing.

I am enjoying the slower pace here and going through the living stories vs my rush to the end pacing in other games.

You didn't fall for anything. I mean yeah they want to sell more stuff from the gem store but this is something new they're doing with harvesting tools.
    http://dulfy.net/2018/04/10/gw2-introducing-the-new-gathering-tools-glyph-system/

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    @Sonork - Your video makes me want to play that class more. I only just unlocked the DH and then never really played again.

So can someone explain to me the copper salvage-o-matic? I keep seeing how it's such a great buy but I guess I don't get how it works or why it's useful.

vamen on
  • Options
    vamen wrote: »
    So can someone explain to me the copper salvage-o-matic? I keep seeing how it's such a great buy but I guess I don't get how it works or why it's useful.

It's mostly a big time saver, more so with a shared inventory slot. Stick it into a shared slot and use it on all green and blue items and you save a ton of time not buying new salvaging kits. You get a lot of items from running some of the meta-events so this adds up to a lot of time saved for some people. Rares still should be salvaged with a Mystic Salvage Kit for the higher chance of extracting an ectoplasm but greens and belows aren't worth it.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I used to carry like 6 basic salvage kits to use on white-greens. Now I just carry the 1 copper fed, use it on everything thats not yellow and just carry one mystic salvage kit with 250 charges for yellows. Works wonderfully.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

It's mostly a big time saver, more so with a shared inventory slot. Stick it into a shared slot and use it on all green and blue items and you save a ton of time not buying new salvaging kits. You get a lot of items from running some of the meta-events so this adds up to a lot of time saved for some people. Rares still should be salvaged with a Mystic Salvage Kit for the higher chance of extracting an ectoplasm but greens and belows aren't worth it.

Have they changed it so auto salvage doesn't salvage entire stacks of unidentified items? Or do you still have to identify them all first?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Wow, thanks for the info, that would be super handy. I always buy 6 salvage kits when I'm in town, and I'm always annoyed by them because I tend to have a stack of 2 or 3 and another stack of a couple more and it doesn't let you combine them. The kit would be worth it for that annoyance alone =p.
    I might pick that up today.

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

Now this is (dung) pod racing!

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    That looks like a pretty fun mount, although I wonder what the gimmick is. I should finish up pof mastery points in preparation to master it quick at least.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    That looks like a pretty fun mount, although I wonder what the gimmick is. I should finish up pof mastery points in preparation to master it quick at least.

Gimmicks seem to be:

1. Can go along rails (there's some holographic rail structures in the trailer)
    2. Can bash through fragile walls (also in trailer)
    3. THE fastest mount straight up; looks faster than Jackal and Raptor at expense of not so great maneuverability and probably needs a while to get to top speed

• Options
    Haha so...I just bought the copper salvage-o-matic. All this time I thought it meant you needed copper ORE to use it. *forehead slap*

• Options
    hmm so I just finished Path of Fire and was looking at Living World Season 4. I have to buy chapter 1 it looks like. for every other season, I've bought them all in one go.
    How has that worked for previous seasons? Do you need to be active when each chapter is released in order to own it without purchasing it? or will it only be available for any character for a limited time before needing to purchase? (wondering about my non-80 toons)

• Options
    hmm so I just finished Path of Fire and was looking at Living World Season 4. I have to buy chapter 1 it looks like. for every other season, I've bought them all in one go.
    How has that worked for previous seasons? Do you need to be active when each chapter is released in order to own it without purchasing it? or will it only be available for any character for a limited time before needing to purchase? (wondering about my non-80 toons)

Need to log in while the chapter is active to get it. Even if you don't have the required expansion, it unlocks for your account for when you do get the expansion. It is for the entire account, not individual characters.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular

Gimmicks seem to be:

3. THE fastest mount straight up; looks faster than Jackal and Raptor at expense of not so great maneuverability and probably needs a while to get to top speed

You apparently can also do a trick while sailing through the air, if I'm seeing one of those last scenes right.

I just hope it's not another expensive-to-get mount.

• Options

Gimmicks seem to be:

You apparently can also do a trick while sailing through the air, if I'm seeing one of those last scenes right.

If it's required to progress the story, it'll probably be along the lines of, at worst, the Jackal. Remember: you technically don't need the Griffin to access anything in PoF; everything can be done with a combination of the other mounts (and often it can be done better with those, and there's even some things that you CANNOT access with a Griffin, you MUST use the Jackal to do it). The Griffin was also a hidden / secret mount (no one even KNEW about it at launch!), and the expense is mostly because of the collections you have to complete to unlock it. The only thing you had to do to unlock any of the other PoF mounts was to do the associated Renown Heart and then pay the gold + contracts (and in the case of the Jackal, have the level 3 Mastery for Springer and Skimmer).

It looked like you would be required to use the Beetle to bust through certain walls to progress the story, so that says to me, again, that it will be no worse to obtain than the Jackal, so probably a total of 30 gold + 200 trade contracts at most.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Gimmicks seem to be:

If it's required to progress the story, it'll probably be along the lines of, at worst, the Jackal. Remember: you technically don't need the Griffin to access anything in PoF; everything can be done with a combination of the other mounts (and often it can be done better with those, and there's even some things that you CANNOT access with a Griffin, you MUST use the Jackal to do it). The Griffin was also a hidden / secret mount (no one even KNEW about it at launch!), and the expense is mostly because of the collections you have to complete to unlock it. The only thing you had to do to unlock any of the other PoF mounts was to do the associated Renown Heart and then pay the gold + contracts (and in the case of the Jackal, have the level 3 Mastery for Springer and Skimmer).

It looked like you would be required to use the Beetle to bust through certain walls to progress the story, so that says to me, again, that it will be no worse to obtain than the Jackal, so probably a total of 30 gold + 200 trade contracts at most.

I would agree I suspect you just need to do the associated heart and probably if I had my guess is you will need the jackal at level 3. That seems to be the pattern for the POF mounts you need to have the previous mount at rank 3 to use their special jump/flight/port thing.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Hey folks!

Just a heads up, if you're looking for things to do with your fractal relics, or have been doing fractal CMs and wondering what to do with your Holo dancers, it just so happens that the NICE guild Hall is only a few Holo dancers away from being able to craft a fractal console, which is the very best guild decoration. With it you can do all sorts of things you previously couldn't in the guild Hall, like set low gravity(this works with mounts!), activate Nova launcher, and even give yourself a new form that enables 3d travel in the guild Hall! Wow!

Right now, we're at 8 female norn Holo dancers, 7 male norn Holo dancers, and no large variants of the two. To make the fractal console, we need 6 large male and 6 large female Holo dancers, which require 3 of the smaller ones each. That means right now, we need 10 female norn Holo dancers, and 11 male norn Holo dancers! Each of those cost 24 fragments of the solid ocean, and the NICE guild Hall has 457 fragments. That means right now, if we could get either 2 more holodancers, or 47 more fragments, then I can craft the mats for the console! (With the help of a friendly officer or decorator of course)

If you're interested in helping, the materials drop from fractal CMs or can be purchased from the guild Hall vendor for 150 relics each. I'm donating all of my earnings to the guild Hall so we'll get there eventually, but if you wanna speed the process up just remember to keep an eye on those holodancers and fragments. I'll post again as progress is made, if I don't just keep an eye on the guild decoration count. If we have 504 relics, or 3 more holodancers, then don't worry about it! We're done!

naengwen on
  • Options
    Hey folks!

Just a heads up, if you're looking for things to do with your fractal relics, or have been doing fractal CMs and wondering what to do with your Holo dancers, it just so happens that the NICE guild Hall is only a few Holo dancers away from being able to craft a fractal console, which is the very best guild decoration. With it you can do all sorts of things you previously couldn't in the guild Hall, like set low gravity(this works with mounts!), activate Nova launcher, and even give yourself a new form that enables 3d travel in the guild Hall! Wow!

Right now, we're at 8 female norn Holo dancers, 7 male norn Holo dancers, and no large variants of the two. To make the fractal console, we need 6 large male and 6 large female Holo dancers, which require 3 of the smaller ones each. That means right now, we need 10 female norn Holo dancers, and 11 male norn Holo dancers! Each of those cost 24 fragments of the solid ocean, and the NICE guild Hall has 457 fragments. That means right now, if we could get either 2 more holodancers, or 47 more fragments, then I can craft the mats for the console! (With the help of a friendly officer or decorator of course)

If you're interested in helping, the materials drop from fractal CMs or can be purchased from the guild Hall vendor for 150 relics each. I'm donating all of my earnings to the guild Hall so we'll get there eventually, but if you wanna speed the process up just remember to keep an eye on those holodancers and fragments. I'll post again as progress is made, if I don't just keep an eye on the guild decoration count. If we have 504 relics, or 3 more holodancers, then don't worry about it! We're done!

I'm interested in helping, but as noted before, I have a LOT of trouble getting people to actually do CMs with me.

• Options
    Hey folks!

I'm interested in helping, but as noted before, I have a LOT of trouble getting people to actually do CMs with me.

And we're also usually either on at different times or I'm busy D: lemme know if you wanna try to hash out a schedule to get em done.

For now though, an update: I got a holodancer during fractals today, so we just need 18 more solid ocean fragments. After that a scribe can craft the rest with the help of a guild decorator or officer :)

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'm gonna pick up the expansions before they go off sale.

Question: do the base expansions come with additional character slots or do I still have to purchase those in the gem store?

EDIT: I hope it's okay I'm asking here - not having luck with Google searches.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    I believe an additional character slot only only comes with the deluxe version, not the standard. Could be wrong though. Otherwise yeah, just get them on the gem store.

• Options
    Dang. Being locked to two slots even after buying both expansions? Ugh - that's restrictive.

Oh well. It's B2P and they need to make there money somehow, I guess.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Dang. Being locked to two slots even after buying both expansions? Ugh - that's restrictive.

Once you buy any Expansion it goes from 2 slots to 5 slots because you're no longer "free to play" and become a full account.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230165307-Guild-Wars-2-Account-Types-Free-Core-HoT-PoF

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »

Once you buy any Expansion it goes from 2 slots to 5 slots because you're no longer "free to play" and become a full account.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230165307-Guild-Wars-2-Account-Types-Free-Core-HoT-PoF

Thank you! Despite my searching I was unable to find this page.

I appreciate it!