As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Finally got my lego amulet for all the return shenanigans after suffering through Return to Steel and Fire (god I hated that part of LS5). First lego I've ever had in many, many years of playing many, many characters. Kind of makes me want to buckle down and finish Aurora...

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Free code for a pirate costume from Prime
    9NNFRT-BNSM1-RJ9V-R6P-3MXG71J

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Nvidia is giving away the Heroic Edition of the game again.

- Base GW2
    - One Legacy Armor
    - One 18 slot bag
    - 4 heroic boosters

Gotta use the code by Dec 16, 2023. Good for making an alt account, or upgrading a friend from free to paid. I used a code the last time they did this just to get one of those armor sets... not sure if you can just use another code to get another set.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/account/redeem/?NPID=hc3bkOecMnk_YWfo0pg5jA-_Pec2H5n-83kj8oSKj0mXvIPCXcLWjZ6bTKPFEzi2w3v8vT6BkfYSLSvXif3AMQ&ncid=em-prom-451674_en-us

Perrsun on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ho ho ho, here's a Christmas Prime costume bundle
    JLL8M3-NP73N-3RN8-R7B-F3DC3CH

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Is exotic gear good enough for strike missions? I don't have ascended stuff for PvE on this account yet

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 6
    Is exotic gear good enough for strike missions? I don't have ascended stuff for PvE on this account yet

Exotic is good enough for anything short of making world records in raids.

Or high level fractals, but that's more about the agony resistance than any other stat.

If you can, focus on ascended weapons first, especially main-hand. The 5%? base damage buff is a lot more useful than the armor or stat buffs. (Defense? Who needs defense?)

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I've been spending my Astral acclaim on mystic coins to make money, but I should really save up for an ascended weapon j think, I don't have any ascended gear other than some old accessories from events and birthday gifts

• Options
    I picked NICE as my WvW guild so I'll see where I end up... I think you have to pick by today if anyone hasn't yet

• Options
    I picked NICE as my WvW guild so I'll see where I end up... I think you have to pick by today if anyone hasn't yet

what do you mean by "you have to pick by today?" What's happening?

• Options
    The world restructuring beta starts today, I think it's already started for EU servers. You'll be assigned a team in the beta based (hopefully) on what guild you picked as your WvW guild (you pick on the guild screen). But apparently it's already not working, so who knows what'll happen, it'll be an adventure....

• Options
    So I have a bunch of random ascended rings with stat combinations I'll never use in my bank. Is there something I can get out of them?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    So I have a bunch of random ascended rings with stat combinations I'll never use in my bank. Is there something I can get out of them?

Possibly: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_Salvage_Kit

Some ascended items that come from completing certain goals instead of drops might not be salvageable though.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    Ascended salvage kits are expensive and don't always pay for themselves. If it's rings, be sure to attune them (cheap!) to get extra materials.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I've begun to hanker for an MMO lately. Is the FTP version of GW2 any good?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I've begun to hanker for an MMO lately. Is the FTP version of GW2 any good?

Yes.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Hmm is this one of those games where leveling crafting along with yourself is pointless? I'm already level 20something but it looks like the first 75 levels of crafted gear is level 5.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited January 29
    The first 75 levels of crafted gear covers level 5-20, the base level of the gear is 5 but it can be raised by applying other things you learn from crafting as you level and do Discoveries.

However in general I would say that the buffs to leveling speed over the years have made it such that it's relatively unappealing and you have to consciously choose to slow down and spend money to do it.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    The first 75 levels of crafted gear covers level 5-20, the base level of the gear is 5 but it can be raised by applying other things you learn from crafting as you level and do Discoveries.

However in general I would say that the buffs to leveling speed over the years have made it such that it's relatively unappealing and you have to consciously choose to slow down and spend money to do it.

Yeah, it used to be the case the crafting and levelling were pretty well matched, so you would finish up your crafting tier at about the same time you reached the level range of the next tier but nowadays you will level way faster. Also the amount of free gear you'll get for levelling rewards make crafted gear less necessary.

• Options
    I'm finding the game pretty fun so far, but the area tells are nearly illegible, especially in group play. I can barely tell bad circles from good. Some some to be clearly pretty red, some are less red, some are blue. Basically all of them are faint outlines on the ground. Doesn't help I'm partly colorblind. Apparently there's no tank healer dps trinity in this, so I guess when fighting boss enemies out in the world sometimes it'll just turn around and murder occasionally and I won't know why?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Most enemies prioritize their targets by Toughness, though some will factor in who is closest or furthest from them.

Red/orange is always hostile AOE, white is always allied AOE, green means stack on that spot.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I'm finding the game pretty fun so far, but the area tells are nearly illegible, especially in group play. I can barely tell bad circles from good. Some some to be clearly pretty red, some are less red, some are blue. Basically all of them are faint outlines on the ground. Doesn't help I'm partly colorblind. Apparently there's no tank healer dps trinity in this, so I guess when fighting boss enemies out in the world sometimes it'll just turn around and murder occasionally and I won't know why?

Red outlines are for AoE in older content before the shift to translucent orange zones. They generally mean the same thing, e.g. don't stand here unless you really know what you're doing with defensive buffs/abilities.

Blue can mean a few mechanics that are not strictly damage. If you're not in Path of Fire zones, then it's probably a player's AoE ability and won't harm you and might buff you.

The large boss enemies in open world usually have telegraphed attacks. If it's their melee attack, it may not have an AoE indicator though (and often isn't AoE) so it's instead a matter of reading its animation. Older content can be a bit inconsistent here. For a good number, seeing it turn towards you is the warning to dodge.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited February 1
    wiqv8rolo9ur.png
    Did Tybalt blow off his junk?
    edit: Oohhhh no his hand was injured. That makes my joke less funny.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm hoping to the strike CM that gets you astral acclaim... how hard are those exactly? I don't know how to get in groups, I'm a noob when it comes to strike missions

• Options
    Just did the level 80 story mission where you work with a sylvari team to clear the blocks. They asked what kind of approach and I said go in hot, and they formed up into a square, and every time we encountered an enemy group 9 lasers popped out in perfect sync and burned them down.

Finally it lets me work with fucking professionals. If all the NPCs were this competent they wouldn't need me to fight these dragons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm hoping to the strike CM that gets you astral acclaim... how hard are those exactly? I don't know how to get in groups, I'm a noob when it comes to strike missions

Strike groups are effectively single boss raids. Usually on the easier end of a raid boss.

However, CMs crank up the difficulty again, you definately want to jump on normal mode a few times first. LFG is split into experienced and training, be honest about your experience!

• Options
    Finally completed what appears to have been the original end game story. The turret sections were incredibly annoying. Why is nobody else shooting these dragons? There's like 8 guns you can use!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah a lot of players were unimpressed with the confrontation with zhaitan

later dragon fights are definitely a response to that reception

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Also could I get a guild invite please?
    Tofystedeth.9702

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What is the order the different stories should be done in? The order they appear in the journal? I did a little bit of path of fire to unlock a zone that some of my weeklies were in, but it was definitely referencing events and people that haven't happened to me yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    Chronological order should be:
    1) Original game
    2) Living World Season 1 (removed from the game for a long time, but the episodes should slot in here)
    3) Living World Season 2
    4) Heart of Thorns
    5) Living World Season 3
    6) Path of Fire
    7) Living World Season 4
    8) Icebrood Saga
    9) End of Dragons
    10) Secrets of the Obscure

• Options
    edited February 13
    got back on tonight to do some more LWS1
    What the fuck is this Tower of Nightmares bullshit, this sucks. No one joined except for one thief after trying for an hour and a half and we just kept running in and dying before even getting to the 2nd event, I just quit out of frustration
    Why make this a required story step

Also fuck PvE enemies that require finishers

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    got back on tonight to do some more LWS1
    What the fuck is this Tower of Nightmares bullshit, this sucks. No one joined except for one thief after trying for an hour and a half and we just kept running in and dying before even getting to the 2nd event, I just quit out of frustration
    Why make this a required story step

Also fuck PvE enemies that require finishers

One of those lovely events that only works with a bunch of players but there's no incentive for anyone to do it after the event is not the main ongoing thing anymore. They get better at that by the time you end up in Dry Top but yeah, the tower is rough.

• Options
    You can skip season 1, honestly. Just know that you got wrapped up with a group of young people with attitude while a crazy sylvari did some menacing things going into season 2.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_k7hiqdipU

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-realm-of-dreams-arrives-on-february-27/
    Next SotO update on the 27th including a new legendary armor set and a new weapon proficiency for each profession
    Update on March 19th featuring a bunch of balance changes, new postprocessing options, and more
    SAB back on April 16 with new content it sounds like

• Options
    Also could I get a guild invite please?
    Tofystedeth.9702

Sorry, missed this before, all sorted! :)

• Options
    So far I've tried both the new thief axe and the ele pistol. Thief axe is fun with the stocking/spending mechanic and ele pistol could have some cool combos

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Elepistol is super fun and interesting to stockpile the ammo and switching a lot. I like it a lot. Thief axe is cool, its nice having more condi options. Im really enjoying shortbow on engineer for just open world shenanigans, it tags pretty well with so much aoe.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Mesmer rifle is pretty nice support with somewhat weirdly strong AOE 2 and 3.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Courtesy of Corrigan:
    "According to a report by MTN on the 28th, NCsoft recently decided to approve the development of 'Guild Wars 3' after checking internal development resources and reviewing business feasibility."

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    what's the April Fools prank this year

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/