Options

Heat Signature: a game where you can go inside the spaceships

13»

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Is there a reason some ships eject your pod when there's an alarm?

Purely from a gameplay perspective I would say so there is a consequence to failure, gotta scramble to pick up your body.

From a story perspective maybe so the hostile ship doesn't detect the intruder? Maybe they think you are just a stowaway?

Edit- oh, when just an alarm goes off. I know the pod detaches when you get knocked out, maybe the ship notices it is there and ejects it? It is added difficulty, now you gotta jump into space to make the extraction.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Sometimes it's is hard to tell what exactly went wrong because so much can go wrong in the fraction of a second. You can bring up a log of recent events, but I usually forget to.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I still think the Angel is easily the best pod, but the Brick has its good points.
    I had an assassination mission on a very large ship, no witnesses clause.
    I docked, took a look at which section the target was in, undocked, drifted around, then rammed the compartment.
    Bang, instant kill, time to head home.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I liberated two stations next to each other with one character. They got named Pitri Port and Pitri Port 1. There is no way this could confuse the people of the galaxy.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Angel is so much better than the other pods that it's ridiculous

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Made my first attempt at a personal mission and forgot to bring anything that pierced armor

Luckily I jacked the last item I picked up from a Hijack mission. I think it was a self-charging subverter?

Anyway, it turns out that hacking the sentries works perfectly well in place of an armor-piercer

Unfortunately my target walked into one of the these sentries and murked himself

Anyway, I retired the character so his subverter, the Truth Contraption, should be floating around out there somewhere for anyone that wants one

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    I found an Overpriced Armor-Piercing Automatic Rapidfire Rifle in a shop.
    Couldn't afford it, so boo.
    But that thing would eat up ammo in no time, right? I'm trying to convince myself that it's a good thing I don't have it, unless there's a reliable way to get more armor-piercing ammo that I don't know about?

• Options
    I find that I pick up plenty of AP ammo. But I have no AP guns :sad:

The game is definitely getting easier as I unlock gear by liberating stations. I was playing wrong, trying to make a beeline for the enemy HQ*, when I ought to have been aiming for upgrades that I want available in shops.

*which has definitely paid off big time, but defeating an HQ does... nothing? There's no strategy to the strategy map, it doesn't matter what bases you take, there's no effect on the game. What does effect the game is unlocking new weapons and gear in the shops, so do that.

In a way, the biggest failing/success of the game is that there's no challenge. You don't have to do anything you don't want to and so if you're cautious you'll never be challenged. But if you want, you can take a difficult mission that you don't have the gear for just to see what happens. It's very much a sandbox style game, where you're playing with toys and beating up mooks for the fun of it.

• Options
    Taking HQs gives you a chance that a new character will have that factions ship, so it's not nothing.
    It's not all that significant, though.

I knew what I was getting into, but I do wish there was more of a story to this, just because I love the writing style. I loved it in Gunpoint too, you can play it seriously or turn everything into a joke. Like talking to the security lady about her non-lethal at all costs policy.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    It's a little like no mans sky in that way, like the game sold well based on the systems and mechanics built into the game, but it seems like most people would have enjoyed a tighter more designed experience.

I guess the defector missions are those but did you get anything for doing them

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Angel is so much better than the other pods that it's ridiculous

Angel is rad, but the Brick is the only one that adds something I can't do otherwise.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    oh hey I have this game now and it's a great game

hope someone finds that rechargeable remote grenade launcher I sent out there

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I need self recharging stuff like real real bad so thanks

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    I gave the Glitch a try, and It's pretty handy when you've got a time limit to work with.
    I was on one mission to hijack a ship when it suddenly came under attack and I found myself floating in space. It wasn't a warzone mission, but this happens, I guess.
    I got back in my pod, but it turned into a race to get on board the attacker and stop them before they killed the targets engines, then another race to get on board the target and kill the pilot before they reached a station. Being able to teleport right to the airlock may have only saved a few seconds, but I reached the pilot with less than a second left, so the Glitch is the only reason I made it.

I still have to try the stealth pod. Offhand, I can't see a real use for it, because I haven't had a situation where avoiding the windows wasn't real easy.

• Options
    Glitch is good for me because my docking can be embarrassing at times.

• Options
    I am a super good Heat Signature player.
    I got into a fight with a bunch of guys, did the usual blade-pause-shotgun-pause thing, then realised there was a shielded guy who wasn't going to give a damn what I just shot him with.
    But hey, I've got a Swapper, so why not swap with him and get out of there while he was confused?
    So I swapped with him, and instantly got hit by my own shotgun blast.
    I am a super good Heat Signature player.

• Options
    I don't know how everyone else is so good at getting to the airlock in a pod. I literally need glitch or stealth because, while I am decent at the rest of this game, I have gotten blown up an embarrassing amount of times now

That said, I love the recovery mechanic after you get hit by a missile

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I love that guards will shoot the fuck out of their own dudes with nary a thought.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    ghosting stuff is easier for me than fightin'

I constantly stumble over my fingers going from throw to swing to throw etc.

but give me a sidewinder and a slipstream and I can do miracles

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I've just realized that, if you're close enough, you can pick up your thrown objects with no teleport delay. You can chain throw a single wrench! It's even better than a concussion hammer in some situations. Also, the melee cool down is basically a worthless stat.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    yeah, there are some real dumb things that you can do with chaining pickups and toggling what you are holding

it's great fun

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I don't really like glitch traps, with the exception of self charging ones. Just ... Make sure to keep some way to unlock doors or clone keys on hand.

Glitch traps can deal with shields or armor pretty easily.

Use a wrench or teleporter to dash up close
    Pause
    Steal the keycard
    Pause
    Lay a glitch trap

Guard should be keyless and either dead or somewhere else on the ship. They won't wander around anymore unless alerted. I can ghost any mission with 15 or so glitch traps and a wrench (for dashing and breaking windows).

I hardly ever get shot anymore. Bullets are just too easy to dodge and the AI is too stupid. If they don't have shotguns I can pretty much bypass every firefight by just breaking line of sight. With a regular slipstream I can get anywhere on the ship without using anything else

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    You've got many options to deal with most things, I just think glitch traps require the most effort to use relative to all others.

jaredburton on
  • Options
    You've got many options to deal with most things, I just think glitch traps require the most effort to use relative to all others.

The visitor probably requires the most effort, and glitch traps are I think the cheapest gadget by a long shot

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    The visitor and a short blade is easily my favorite loadout so far

Give me a self charging visitor and I can clear out an entire room in seconds and be gone before any witnesses even know where I went

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Why use a short blade when you can carry 4 long blades

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I had a personal mission to rescue my character's son yesterday, and realized they were right at the edge of the ship so I could just use the Foundry Brick to bash an entrance a couple rooms away and walk right in.

...I missed.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Ouch.

When I first started playing I didn't think much of the personal missions as they were stuff like "get enough money to retire" or "assassinate some high ranking dude". But the last few missions have been stuff like "rescue my son" or "kill the man who killed my mother" and, uh, wow, that makes a big difference to how much I care about completing the personal mission.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Oh man.

I had a game where I had two seconds until I was captured and I was far away, so I sprinted through the ship and with the countdown at 0 and with the ship already obscured by the space station, I swapped with the pilot and it miraculously continued out the other side.

I basically turned a docking into a flyby and did the "We're all fine here. How are you?".

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Oh man.

I had a game where I had two seconds until I was captured and I was far away, so I sprinted through the ship and with the countdown at 0 and with the ship already obscured by the space station, I swapped with the pilot and it miraculously continued out the other side.

I basically turned a docking into a flyby and did the "We're all fine here. How are you?".

yeah i did that once and it was fantastic

• Options
    Ooh, the forenames and surnames files are just .txt.

• Options
    Ok. Finished the game. It seems undercooked. The AI in particular could have been a little more lively. That or else change the setting to some kind of drone asteroid mining operation gone haywire.

A small (big) change would be how unconsciousness works. In a game like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory knocking people unconscious carried the downside of guards discovering them and waking them up. Here, knocking people unconscious is always the best option. An unconscious person is as good as dead, better even, as there are guard abilities that trigger when dead.

[deleted list of ways the game is unsatisfying or empty]

I just feel like the game could have been more. And not Star Citizen more, just... less empty, more challenging, less robotic. The game is magic when you're in scenarios you're unsuited for. "Capture Gordon Ramsey: Nonlethal weapon required" Well, I'm going to do it with just a sword! That's great! More pressure being put on the player to push themselves would have been good. AI that pushes back at both a tactical and strategic level would have been good, instead of AI that does nothing. It's a sterile galaxy for you to mess about in. Which is, fine. But I wish it was more than fine.

• Options

Also finally beat this! Good stuff but definitely some mechanics that seemed unfinished. Still no idea what that 'Collision Sensor' option on the menu does.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    These Halloween changes sound really neat:

For anyone who can't see tweets, you can no longer die, you will instead be turned into a living skeleton that is undetectable on heat sensors and can spacewalk forever, outside of Halloween lethal damage will kill you. A ship having a skeleton crew is now literal. There's also a new Ghost clause for having no witnesses and doing no harm. You are also literally a ghost.

You can also become a skeleton ghost.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    shit

this game is completely my jam

please rescue my lost souls who I left on ships

ty

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • Options
    Well if yesterday's is any indication of difficulty I'm not getting on the daily challenge leaderboards any time soon.