As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TechOn] Apes Learn Spear Usage

leafleaf Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/newsenglish/witn/2007/02/070223_chimps.shtml

And the condensed version for the TLDR crowd:

chimpanzeeB.jpg
+
spear.jpg

Does anyone have more on this? I think it's amazing. Especially considering how there's the continued debate for/against evolution/creationism.

And on a bit of a tangent, also goes into the debate among academics of the intelligence of other species, and their ability to feel emotion, or as it's usually put, "exhibiting traits similar to ___."

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Or monkeys and spears in general? Perhaps some jokes about a certain Space Odyssey? How far behind would that roughly put them from us? A several hundred thousand years, or farther?

Edits: Spelling bad, ok? And grammar, she not doing so good either.

newsig-notweed.jpg
leaf on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Man, making a nice looking OP is harder than it seems. Oh well, deal with it.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    All I know is that if they start farming, they'll be around 10,000-12,000 years behind us, assuming a similar rate of advancement. Not that I'm predicting they will start farming.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh fuck no . . . dammit, someone set up barbed wire and landmines around the Statue of Liberty while we still can!

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow. Incredible news. The glossary in the article was annoying as hell though. I mean for god's sake, "Predominantly"? "Gnaw at"? "Spear-like"? "Nocturnal"?

Suriko on
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh shit, what if they team with the penguins?

penguin_gun.jpg

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    Wow. Incredible news. The glossary in the article was annoying as hell though. I mean for god's sake, "Predominantly"? "Gnaw at"? "Spear-like"? "Nocturnal"?

I hope you noticed the website is for people learning English..

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    FrostyAlphaWolfFrostyAlphaWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Well, it is in a section called "Learning English." I imagine it was an example article to show off some fancy English lingo. I mean, what high-class citizen doesn't use "gnaw" in everyday conversation?

Edit: Too slow -_-

FrostyAlphaWolf on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Æthelred wrote: »

I hope you noticed the website is for people learning English..

Oh shit. My bad.

Uh...

Gee, it's great that I got that chainmail shirt, helmet and sword in the mail today! (do I look normal now? All that stuff's battle-ready, btw)

Suriko on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i saw footage of this like 3 years ago. (a video on animal planet or something) but they were just throwing sticks then

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    All I know is that if they start farming, they'll be around 10,000-12,000 years behind us, assuming a similar rate of advancement. Not that I'm predicting they will start farming.

But things aren't going to really kick off until we start trade with them and give them smallpox infested blankets!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    i saw footage of this like 3 years ago. (a video on animal planet or something) but they were just throwing sticks then

Youtube plz? We've all seen "monkey washing cat", and even Colbert had that up on his show the other week, and more of the same would be great.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I actually saw a documentary about the abilites of various primates last night, and it was pretty interesting to see how much they coveted things like certain magazines over others. Also the fact that some of the chimps they showed were able to paint pictures while keeping (relatively) inside of lines and paper borders.

Suriko on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    This is pretty cool news, but it's not really technology by modern definition.

Welcome to D&D!

Monoxide on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

But things aren't going to really kick off until we start trade with them and give them smallpox infested blankets!

It is only fair, seeing as they're probably responsible for giving us AIDS and most of the hemorrhagic fevers.

Hevach on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »

Biological weapons are totally technology. This is how we're going to withdraw troops from Iraq.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The important thing to remember is that chimps are our closest living relative. We didn't descend from chimps, but chimps and humans descended from a different species of primate several million years ago. They exhibit similarities biologically and even socially, but they're not slowly turning into humans.

That said, yeah, this spear usage is pretty interesting.

As far as human ancestors go:

2.6 to 1.5 Million Years Ago
    Homo habilis uses stone tools known now as Oldowan tools - pretty simple rocks that have been chipped to make them more useful. They were basically used for shearing flesh off of bones and for breaking open the bones to get the marrow. Chimps don't shape rocks, but they do use them to crack open nuts, and they have shown affinities for certain rocks that they'll keep around if they work well.
    T628347A.jpg

1.6 Million to 100 Thousand Years Ago
    Homo erectus uses stone tools known now as Acheulean tools - they're similar to Oldowan tools, but the craftsman ship has drastically improved. Fire was most likely necessary for Homo erectus, but when exactly its use was mastered is controversial. Fire-tipped spears have been dated to around this time (fire-tipped as in the tip was hardened in a fire, not flaming itself)
    250px-Acheuleanhandaxes.jpg

300 Thousand to 30 Thousand Years Ago
    Neandertals use stone tools we now call Mousterian tools. Craftsmanship improved even more, and tools had a wider variety of uses. Also worth noting, a 60 thousand year old artifact believed to be a flute is attributed to the Neandertals, who were also the first to regularly bury their dead.
    MTAa.gif

By 40 Thousand Years Ago, there was pretty much an explosion of technology. Sewing needles, fishing harpoons, etc.

So...

tl;dr - Human ancestors used spears, with fire-hardened tips, more than 100 thousand years ago but probably less than 1.6 million.

Taximes on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    leaf wrote: »
    gunwarrior wrote: »

Youtube plz? We've all seen "monkey washing cat", and even Colbert had that up on his show the other week, and more of the same would be great.

wasn't on youtube (think it was an animal evolution special), and it wasn't funny either. i sorta remember that they were just just throwing sticks at rabbits.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    dr zaius dr zaius

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I guess I should have just posted this:

stoneage.jpg

Some of the dates are slightly different than my last post, but that happens.

Taximes on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Taximes wrote: »
    The important thing to remember is that chimps are our closest living relative. We didn't descend from chimps, but chimps and humans descended from a different species of primate several million years ago. They exhibit similarities biologically and even socially, but they're not slowly turning into humans.

An obvious point, IMO, but it is one that bears making - a lot of people still think of evolution as that progression from the little squiggly thing in the water to the cave man on the land like in the old cartoons. There's a lot of other things involved in human development than just tools - our ancestors lived in a different environment than chimps, which called for different behaviors, different bodies, and a different diet.

Something the linked article doesn't mention, but interests me somewhat: Could this be a learned skill and not developed by the chimps themselves? What we've taught captive chimps proves well enough that they're capable of far more advanced behavior than they show in the wild - syntactical language, puzzle solving, and they can learn remarkably complex tasks, and in college I had to read a piece about a man who tried to teach chimps to make stone tools. Their thumbs didn't give them the kind of grip for making them, but they could use them quite well. For whatever reason, they haven't developed those skills on their own, but they can be taught and they have been known to learn behaviors from watching humans (Like the chimp in a zoo in China that learned to smoke when after a visitor threw him a lit cigarette).

Hevach on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    SMBC has the code for their navigation arrows loading last

wut???

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What's Pigment processing? Seems to be bizarrely early given how late beads and images come.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh shit dudes, they've just reached tier 2! We should rush their base now before they eco-boom and kill us all!!!!
    An obvious point, IMO, but it is one that bears making - a lot of people still think of evolution as that progression from the little squiggly thing in the water to the cave man on the land like in the old cartoons. There's a lot of other things involved in human development than just tools - our ancestors lived in a different environment than chimps, which called for different behaviors, different bodies, and a different diet.

Yeah.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    LegoRobotLegoRobot Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    http://www.atheistnation.net/video/?video/00368

Learning to use lighters to make fire, to use backpacks to carry items, to walk upright, to play videogames, to drive golf carts....even primitive use of written language.

Bonobos are far ahead of chimps, I think.

LegoRobot on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »

Welcome to D&D!

Man, I read the OP and thought "Muahahaha, it would be awesome if I moved this to G&T" :P

I'm not surprised, they figured out termite-onna-stick ages ago.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Fire-tipped spears have been dated to around this time (fire-tipped as in the tip was hardened in a fire, not flaming itself)

:lol: I like how you knew this bit would need to be clarified for a nerd audience.

(Next up: does this news mean chimp PCs now start with simple weapons proficiency at level 1?)

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    Something the linked article doesn't mention, but interests me somewhat: Could this be a learned skill and not developed by the chimps themselves?
    Thing is, how important is the distinction? It's not like most of us invented anything, we just copy from our ancestors, who copied from theirs, with the first person likely having invented it completely by chance.

Glal on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is really interesting.
    So, their repertoire of tools is expanding... I wonder if we'll see other steps in sophistication anytime soon.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The birds are at it as well, but this seems more interesting because the apes have only just been observed doing it.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    LegoRobot wrote: »

Learning to use lighters to make fire, to use backpacks to carry items, to walk upright, to play videogames, to drive golf carts....even primitive use of written language.

In a lot of primate/ape studies, Bonobos are easier to work with because Chimps get really aggressive as they get older, while Bonobos tend to be pretty mellow thanks to their tendency to have wild sex all the time.

Taximes on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Speak-chucking Monkeys! Oh Noes!

It is pretty interesting when you see them not just using tools but learning how to improve them. actually... it's kinda more scary than interesting...

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    "Do you think that the amoeba ever dreamed it would evolve into the frog? And when that first frog shimmied out of the water and employed its vocal cords in order to attract a mate onto the turn of gravity, did that frog ever imagine that the insignificant call would evolve into all the languages of the world into all the literature of the world? And just as that froggie could never have conceived of Shakespeare so we can not possibly imagine our destiny. Look, if you take the whole of time and represent it by one year, were only in the first few moments of the first of January. There's a long way to go. Only now we're not going to spout extra limbs and wings and fins because evolution itself is evolving."

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Something the linked article doesn't mention, but interests me somewhat: Could this be a learned skill and not developed by the chimps themselves?
    Thing is, how important is the distinction? It's not like most of us invented anything, we just copy from our ancestors, who copied from theirs, with the first person likely having invented it completely by chance.

It really is amazing to look at a graph like that and think that an 8 year old from today would in many ways be more intelligent than all the people who came before in that 500,000 year timespan (pigment making would be beyond me, but sharpening rocks? putting barbs on hooks?) It's almost nuts to believe they took us that long to figure out.

Scooter on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    LegoRobot wrote: »

In a lot of primate/ape studies, Bonobos are easier to work with because Chimps get really aggressive as they get older, while Bonobos tend to be pretty mellow thanks to their tendency to have wild sex all the time.

Most zoos don't like them for exactly that reason :winky:

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Spears seem pretty basic ideas as weapons, I'll be more concerned when chimps learn to use sarcasm.

Sarcastro on