As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me make my PC wireless

Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now.Outpost 31Registered User regular
So my desktop PC is in my basement and literally everything else connected to the internet is on the main floor of my house. I currently have a Cat-5 cable running through a vent to my basement and it looks like hell. My house is small, so range should not be an issue, and I have a dual-band router so speed will not be affected too much. What is my best option for getting my PC connected to my home network without wires?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Descendant X on

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    First, confirm that you get wifi signal in the basement. Take a phone, tablet, or laptop down there and take a look at your wifi signal strength.

Then, all you need is a wifi adapter. If you have an open PCIe slot, then something like this would work:

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16833704241

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    If you don't want to open your computer case, you can get a USB WiFi dongle too.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Ended up getting a pair of powerline adaptors. Easy to set up, works like a charm. Thanks for the tips though!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!