Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Well, I can't really answer that objectively, because I'm not a fan of pickled stuff in general.

But we're a weird giant German Catholic clan, so we've generally got a sample size of between fifty and seventy people at Christmas. And about four of them regularly partake of the Christmas picklemeats, and they're the four most likely to do something out of spite and pride rather than honest enjoyment.

So no. No, statistically speaking, it's not very good at all.

I'd eat pickled grandpa weiners.

Wait...

[
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    @NightDragon you should make our vegan eggnog again :p

It wasn't vegan! We really did use egg whites, but I think everything else was non-standard hahaha. It was bizarrely delicious and rich though :P

did we? I thought we were out of eggs ... soy milk and coconut cream though, right?

NightDragon
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Last time I made eggnog it was fucking delicious but also inexplicably way stronger than it should have been for its alcohol content. There was maybe a thimbleful of brandy per glass but it still knocked me on my arse for the best part of an hour.

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    A new born baby's skin is still porous, you can just leave them sitting in a bucket of blood and they'll soak up what they need.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm coming down with evil spring head cold.

Matzah ball soup it is then.

Just from a box, but still good.

Xaquinwebguy20
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

Nice Job! Most people overcook lengua until it's like shredded beef, but you did it right. It's even better as soft little cubes of deliciousness. Next time before dunking them in sauce, I suggest frying them in a hot pan to get the exteriors really crispy, too.

Erin The Red
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I just purchased a LEM vertical sausage stuffer

.... a very expensive sausage stuffer

I am NOT allowed to buy any more food stuff this year! You all need to stop me!

edit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWZ6AEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Xaquin on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    But xaquin, how can we stop you whwn you are your own food stuff?

• chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Hey now, at least you didn't buy the motorised 30 pound unit!

Xaquin
    I've always assumed I would be relatively well marbled ....

• ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    my parents sold their second home and sent me the stand mixer they kept there, along with a meat grinder attachment for it

and you'd better believe I'm gonna make some breakfast sausage next time pork shoulder goes on sale

Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
    XaquinNaphtalibowenJedocchrishallett83CormacErin The Red3clipsegodmodeV1mApocalyptusDouglasDangerSlacker71Cimmerii
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

edit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWZ6AEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fun fact, you can buy an attachment for that which allows you to make churros as well.

steam_sig.png
    twitch.tv/kragaar
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Fun fact, you can buy an attachment for that which allows you to make churros as well.

You've just killed a man.

YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
    XaquinV1mdoomybearErin The RedJedocApocalyptusDouglasDangerSlacker71NightDragonwebguy20Lost Salient
    I've never actually had a churro so I'm not in any danger

they're basically just straight cinnamon twists right?

• 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They are delicious pillowy cinnamon sugar donuts when made well.

KetarApocalyptusSlacker71
    that does sound like something that would kill me slowly

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I believe they're usually served with very thick european style hot chocolate, for the dipping.

Xaquin
    V1m wrote: »
    I believe they're usually served with very thick european style hot chocolate, for the dipping.

Either that or dulce de leche, yeah.

Xaquin
    The only reason I know that is because my favorite restaurant has a window to the kitchen and one time I was sitting next to the window one of the prep cooks was stuffing the thing full of dough and then extruding churros the length of her hand to fill up a tray. The link posted looks pretty similar to the one they were using so I guess it can do any number of special purposes.

steam_sig.png
    twitch.tv/kragaar
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    People who use metal equipment on coated cookware needs to be thrown in a fire.

Casually Hardcore on
    XaquinApocalyptusCimmeriiDrZiplockNightDragonSlacker71
  • ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    People who used metal equipment on coated cookware needs to be thrown in a fire.

My Mum does this, and I also caught her using a partially broken, jagged knife to move stuff around in a nonstick pan. She did not understand why it made me so angry.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    What I don’t get is that I know a couple who’s all about organic and shit because of toxins and crap but here they are, scrap scrap scrapping Teflon into their food. I explain to them that once Teflon is in you, it ain coming out, and they should use the appropriate tools. The just shrug their shoulders and continue to scramble their eggs with a metal fork on a Teflon coated pan.

3clipse
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    My new santoku knife is so sharp I accidentally cut spacetime. Sorry, guys.

Xaquinchrishallett83webguy20NightDragonErin The Red
    I'm making Tacos tonight!

Celebration Tacos!

NaphtaliEnlongwebguy20
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I've recently come around to realize just how good mushrooms can be in a sandwich. For dinner tonight I made myself a sandwich with some chopped and sautee'd mushrooms, browned onions, and cheese, and it was delicious. Didn't need any meat at all for it to be filling and to get a nice meaty taste to it. I think I'm gonna experiment more with mushrooms when making lunches for myself in the future, because it's such a good ingredient. Pretty light, too.

My brother hates mushrooms, so all the more for me, I guess.

YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    XaquinlonelyahavaBahamutZEROErin The RedSlacker71
  • UbikUbik another one of the law guys Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    My new santoku knife is so sharp I accidentally cut spacetime. Sorry, guys.

i see you went with the subtle knife model

Jedoc
    I'm making Tacos tonight!

Celebration Tacos!

Well, they turned from celebration tacos into I hate this god damn administration tacos, but they are really really good anyway

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm making shepherd's pie for dinner. Sort of.
    I'm using left over mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes, and some left over cubed steak that I've chopped up instead of the more common ground beef, and the only vegetables I had on hand were som frozen peas, so in they go.

Worst case scenario: I'm out of leftovers and have learned a valuable lesson regarding substituting not potatoes for potatoes.

But it's smelling pretty tasty, so, fingers crossed.

Edit:
    Turned out really tasty. I may have left it under the broiler for a bit longer than I should have, just wanted to get a little bit of toastiness on top.
    xi5d92cs8sh5.jpg

Think I'll consider this one a success.

see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    webguy20lonelyahavamrpakugodmodeSlacker71
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    I recently started putting peas in my lamb and eggplant shepherd's pie. It's a good move.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Erin The RedSlacker71
    Got my pancetta fridge holding 55 degrees with around 60% humidity

Hopefully this turns out well in a couple weeks!

y5uowr12md33.jpg

QuantumTurklonelyahavadoomybear3clipsemrpakuDouglasDangerDrZiplockToxLoisLaneErin The Red
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Does anyone know a good pepper grinder (just for black peppercorn)?

Like the only one I've got is one of those ones that comes on top of those small McCormick spice bottles

what a happy day it is
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    doomybear wrote: »

Like the only one I've got is one of those ones that comes on top of those small McCormick spice bottles

Oxo makes good stuff

"zip, i dunno what it is about you, but there's something very cat-like about your face. i can't really place it. you'd make a good mountain lion." Hail, Satan!
    ToxNightDragon
    edited November 2018
    Got my sausage stuffer, 2.5 lbs of venison, and a half pound of pork fat. Sausage this weekend!

edit: hopefully anyway

I have to work all Sunday, so it may have to wait till next week

Xaquin on
    3clipse
    My wife, in typical my wife fashion, wants to go to a pig butchering class for her birthday. So we're doing that.

KwoarutynicXaquinV1mchrishallett83DrZiplockwebguy20ApocalyptusNightDragon
    winner winner chicken pork dinner!

3clipse
    doomybear wrote: »

I bought this one a couple of years ago and it is still doing a good job. I googled articles of top pepper grinders while I was in a Bed, Bath & Beyond and they had this one in stock.

https://www.amazon.ca/COLE-MASON-Derwent-Pepper-Grinder/dp/B003OICYZO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1541708970&sr=8-8&keywords=pepper+grinder

steam_sig.png
    twitch.tv/kragaar
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I bought this one for my father a few years ago. He loves it*.

c7fwny9o6m8y.jpg

*Probably nothing to do with it's grinding qualities though.

chrishallett833clipsebowenXaquinToxPolaritieNightDragonBlake TSlacker71
  • JedocJedoc Take a look. It's in a book. It was always in a book, you fool.Registered User regular
    Got invited to a Friendsgiving next weekend! I'm bringing tiramisu and two loaves of bread, one of Rose Levy Beranbaum's basic sandwich loaf and one of her cinnamon spiral bread. Since I moved into town from the sticks, I should be able to get them from oven to table in ten minutes flat.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    tynicBahamutZEROPolaritiePeenNightDragongodmodeSlacker71
    I made 6 thoroughly mediocre chicken pot pies tonight. The only reason I'm even mentioning it is because though I needed more seasonings and more cream, I NAILED gluten free crust! It was light, flaky, and delicious and I'm proud of myself

3clipsePolaritiePeenV1m
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Update on the low carb shepherd's pie I mentioned above.
    It was even better the second night.

Sadly, I am now out of shepherd's pie. But, it was easy and tasty enough to make again.

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Xaquin
This discussion has been closed.