As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phasers and Pseudopods: How to Win at 3D Chess and other [Tabletop Games]

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Tell me about that space lion

Song by Jack Prybyliski, worth checking out.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I just spent like 2 hours sorting out all the cards and popping cardboard bits out of sheets while watching Brooklyn 99

truly board games are the greatest thing

EDIT: the box insert even has a little section above where the galaxy hexes go that is specifically for the Ghost of Creuss' special homeworld hex with its swirly edges :O

Now, before you toss the excess cardboard into recycling, try putting them under the insert. There seems like a fair amount of space between the insert and the top and that might help snug em up a bit.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I need to try to put together a tabletop group.

I think I'm going to send a message to a few of my facebook friends to see who would be into the idea.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Trying to decide how to build a Chef in 5e

Variant Human is a must so I can take the Gourmand feat at 1

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I liked that SUSD review.

I really like the idea of someone like Hyper RPG, doing a roleplay session out of a Twilight Imperium game.
    Big Set / Map, Large Cast of folk in Alien Makeup, going through turns in studio setting with a big map.
    Like you would have to do some sort of TI, streamable, hack of the game.

3 or 4 teams of alien folk trying to decide the path of their future.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I don't truck with board games that I can't choose to go into super roleplay mode with

I don't always choose to do so, but I need the option to be there

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I don't truck with board games that I can't choose to go into super roleplay mode with

I don't always choose to do so, but I need the option to be there

Me playing Coup

"What does it mean to the story, if the captain wasn't stealing from the duke, but the contessa?"
    and
    "It would be really fascinating if the person claiming to be the Duke successfully the whole game was secretly someone else, no?"

hard eyerolls everywhere;

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Coup is so good at being evocative and really smart in a five minute play time.

It's also very much a case of having the perfect amount of stuff because their big box version just isn't as much fun to play.

• Options
    I have at least one friend interested in an rpg group. Hopefully I can find a few more.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I have at least one friend interested in an rpg group. Hopefully I can find a few more.

Bravo

sig.gif
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I need to try to put together a tabletop group.

I think I'm going to send a message to a few of my facebook friends to see who would be into the idea.

@mordenthral and I and a few others play Cthulhu wars on Fridays via tabletop simulator. I'm sure TI4 will be made into a workshop thing soon.
    more games and more players would be a good thing.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Maddoc wrote: »

Rogue with expertise with cooks utensils

Swashbuckler for that slice em and dice em knife action

Maybe get magic initiate, for control flames and other means of fire production and control.

Ooh grabbing druid spells with magic initiate can give you control flames and guidance to get an even higher skill check on cooks utensils checks. Good 1st levels there include purify food and drink (so good you make other's food better), good berry (you can keep the party fed even when you seemingly got no ingredients), and unseen servant (help in the kitchen)

Sleep on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    alchemy artificer sounds like a good cook

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Taking Guild Artisan background for the Cooking utensil proficiency, plus the Gourmand feat, already doubles proficiency bonus for checks. So skill/tool expertise isn't needed.

Was looking at Ranger, but I don't really love any of the subclasses much

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm not enjoying the ranger all that much

every round is pew pew pew pew with my ranged weapon

and I like a little more variety in my rotation

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    @Maddoc, have you considered something like a Forge cleric for your chef?

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

If you can get the prestidigitation cantrip, it has that bit about flavoring food.
    Sure, an ordinary, mundane chef may use salt or butter or random weeds to flavor their food, but how many out there use magic? Twisting the very material of reality in order to deliver deliciousness? What could go wrong?
    You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Taking Guild Artisan background for the Cooking utensil proficiency, plus the Gourmand feat, already doubles proficiency bonus for checks. So skill/tool expertise isn't needed.

Was looking at Ranger, but I don't really love any of the subclasses much

Totally forgot that Gourmand automatically gives the cooking utensil expertise. Its such an awesome feat. Really the sky's the limit given that.

Just be weird go bard (college of swords) do that hibachi bit.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Also for a chef, comprehend languages can't be over stated.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

If you can get the prestidigitation cantrip, it has that bit about flavoring food.
    Sure, an ordinary, mundane chef may use salt or butter or random weeds to flavor their food, but how many out there use magic? Twisting the very material of reality in order to deliver deliciousness? What could go wrong?
    You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.

This rock may have busted up my teeth, but the flavor profile is exquistite. The chef has proven that while things may look like something else on the outside, inside, they have a touch from the Divine.

./tear

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I vaguely remember a multi-page argument about why a frying pan was not a legitimate weapon choice.

I think people got infracted over it.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    it's a club, it's a shield, it's probably the best weapon a guy could have

a chef wizard with a beruned frying pan as his implement

Counterspell, you just take a big home-run swing at the spell with your frying pan

also you can yell and cuss and be mean and people will love it for some reason, because you're a chef, I guess

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's crazy, at the very least frying pans make good improvised weapons

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Frying pans don't always have a good grip and aren't well balanced.

But they are often heavy as fuck.

If it was a cast iron pan like it would probably be in a fantasy setting I'd give it minus to hit but better than average damage.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I'd take a frying pan over a dagger or rapier in a one on one fight with a skeleton

• Options
    I want to make a character in an rpg that fights almost exclusively with overly elaborate rube Goldbergian traps.

Basically Fred from mystery Inc.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    If we're talking a fantasy setting, it's probably a big old cast iron frying pan, which is going to be crazy unbalanced and heavy.

Obviously a magic or pseudo-magic one that was intended for use as a weapon could be different, but honestly, if you want to do a fighting chef, I'd say go with a meat cleaver or a pair of long butchery knives instead.

• Options
    Chefs are generally pretty decent with a blade

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I'm diggin the idea of a bard head chef coaching the kitchen along with inspiration dice.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Also I would say do a bard if you want to do a celebrity chef, otherwise you're better off with a rogue sous chef.

Of course, if you're doing an all chef game, you need to have both, along with the ranger (a hunter who provides your raw materials) and a fighter (slaughterhouse worker and butcher armed with a cow killing hammer).

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    What if the character ties a cast iron pan to a long shaft

They could then reasonably get a reach advantage with their makeshift halberd and also cook things in dangerous ways (e.g. Making an omelette with the fire breath of an attacking red dragon)

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    desc wrote: »
    What if the character ties a cast iron pan to a long shaft

They could then reasonably get a reach advantage with their makeshift halberd and also cook things in dangerous ways (e.g. Making an omelette with the fire breath of an attacking red dragon)

If you're going that route chain it to the pole and have a flail.

• Options
    I'm now taking applications for my all chef game of Dungeon World

All classes allowed, but you are going to have to justify how/why you're a chef

• Options
    Fuck, an all chef game, you're just out hunting for cave fishers when you end up in the wrong cave...

• Options
    shit i think I'm writing a one shot

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Y'all late to the game

I've been on the 5e chef game.
    Meet my halfling rogue, El Carnicero

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    relatedly, check out Delicious in Dungeon/Dungeon Meshi.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    My original reason for thinking Ranger was to have a character that could thematically be a chef that hunts for his own ingredients. Partially for the Favored Enemy (Beasts is the obvious one, but what if my Chef specializes in cooking monstrocities instead? Because that's way cooler) and partially for the skill selections with Survival and Nature.

Mechanically though, I'm still unsure of Ranger even with the UA Ranger.

Was thinking at least a multiclass into Rogue would be in line, just to be able to cut things up better since I kind of didn't want to go with Archer Ranger anyway.

Prestidigitation cantrip is an inspired choice though, and I'm probably going to have to think long and hard about that.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    My last campaign had a chef in it, dude had a restaurant called elevenses done correctly. Named after a random book of halfling manners and ettiquet he found while trapped on the feywild. His restaurant became the party's meet up point in the city.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Just think of Butcher from diablo

This discussion has been closed.