Feral wrote: »
    The Fifth Element
    The Sixth Sense
    The Seventh Seal
    The Hateful 8
    8 1/2
    The Ninth Gate

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    For a group that despises cinema sins it sounds like he's getting a lot of hate clicks out of you guys

A more cynical man that I may think that's the point

Eh? I haven't watched a CinemaSins video in years precisely because I hate them.

I don't think Jacob or Matt watch them either.

Just because we have seen them in the past and know their schtick doesn't mean we're watching them now.

yeah I vaguely clicked on one once, years ago, and was like uggggh and turned it off

then at some point I got linked to one of bobvids' first "everything wrong with everything wrong with" video, the Sherlock Holmes one, and I loved that it was itself interesting and well-researched criticism that actually made me enjoy the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie more than I originally had (it's a much tighter-written movie than it appears at first glance) and bobvid's essay really articulated my unvoiced anger about the reams of shitty exploitative youtube criticism being made by illiterates

bobvids made a couple more videos and around the same time Shaun got into the game as well, and Shaun also has some really good general film criticism videos that I highly recommend, like his Die Hard retrospective

I have never touched cinemasins again but a lot of what these videos are talking about also explains what I hate about THE SHOUTING VIDEO GAME MAN or THE CYNICAL AUSTRALIAN BOARD GAMER WHO RUBS OILED PIECES BETWEEN HIS MANBOOBS or whatever

I really enjoyed that movie much for that reason. Do you know what made you think it wasn't tightly written initially?

it's very glib and fast-paced so you don't have time to conentrate on a lot of what's happening at first and there are visual details which are not called out in dialogue (a pleasing choice that respects the audience's intelligence!) that I missed because of my bad eyesight

I really liked the movie when I first saw it mainly because of the performances and because I liked the theme of a bunch of seemingly "supernatural" events having mundane explanations, which is 100% on brand for Holmes, but there are lots of nice little touches that you can really only appreciate on a rewatch or with someone pointing them out.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Chanus and rugged are dudes.

DING

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I mean dan I'm not trying to dogpile on you but this is "There is no way Vader has kids, he's mostly a robot, he prolly doesn't even have balls" levels of misinterpretation

Nubian God!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Fifth Element
    The Sixth Sense
    The Seventh Seal

The F8 of the Furious

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Chimera wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Chanus and rugged are dudes.

I just can picture Chanus standing there with full xcom squad gear, an unshaven face, and a really frilly pink dress on and in a deep voice says, "I'm the girl."

okay well last minute halloween costume idea set

If you make this happen and share the pictures here I will smash the awesome button so hard that my mouse will explode.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I mean dan I'm not trying to dogpile on you but this is "There is no way Vader has kids, he's mostly a robot, he prolly doesn't even have balls" levels of misinterpretation

Nubian God!

BLACK RAGE!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    knitdan wrote: »
    Iron Man 3 racist caricature villain? So I take it you haven't actually seen the film then

No. The dude is called The Mandarin and is played by a British dude. Someone would have to work really hard to convince me that isn't problematic and I'm not that interested in Iron Man anyway.
    Isn't the schtick that he's a fraud?

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Hmm I am looking at my travel schedule and it looks like the next few months are gonna be:

November, Los Angeles
    April, Vancouver (vacation)
    End of April, LCS Spring Finals... somewhere, not announced for a while yet
    Summer, Vancouver (maybe)
    And then another trip in August for Summer Finals

That actually sounds very nice

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Guys it's gonna be cold Saturday morning and you know what that means?

PRESSURE WASHING WEATHER.

I GET TO PRESSURE WASH THE FRONT OF MY HOUSE AND THE SIDEWALK AND SHIT AND I WON'T DIE OF HEATSTROKE

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Iron Man 3 racist caricature villain? So I take it you haven't actually seen the film then

No. The dude is called The Mandarin and is played by a British dude. Someone would have to work really hard to convince me that isn't problematic and I'm not that interested in Iron Man anyway.

It's intentional within the plot. Someone would have to spoil you to explain it.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    10 Things I Hate About You is next, right? Right.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The Fifth Element
    The Sixth Sense
    The Seventh Seal

Captain America: The First Avenger
    Seconds
    The Third Man
    Born on the Fourth of July

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    The Fifth Element
    The Sixth Sense
    The Seventh Seal
    The Hateful 8
    8 1/2
    The Ninth Gate

9 1/2 Weeks (lock the fridge)

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I didn't like Iron Man 3 but the whole Mandarin thing was excellent

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    If I remember right we own Spider-Man 1 and Spider-Man 2 on DVD

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Wazilla, that's a really big spoiler, but yeah.

Knitdan, explanation and spoiler:

Iron Man 3...
    "The Mandarin" in Iron Man 3 is a red herring completely fabricated by the real villain to stir up terrorism fears in the general populace. There's no actual entity called The Mandarin in the movie.

Ben Kingsley plays the actor who appears in fake terrorist videos credited to "Mandarin."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Succinct reasons I adore Iron Man 3:
    An accurate look at PTSD in a person subjected to extraordinary and horrible events
    -Everything with the kid-
    The Mandarin stuff

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

It was the only part of that movie I liked.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

Please be more explicit so I can know how harshly to judge you.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I can't believe that's what I got dogpiled on and not the implication that i think there are Black Widow and Hawkeye films out there.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

"They gave me more!"

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Argh I wanna go home and make my dnd stuff.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oh also I don't own any of the Spoodermans because I find the character difficult to relate to and kind of annoying with the wisecracking teenager schtick.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I am incredibly tired of "screaming man" as a YouTube gimmick.

AngryJoe, Jim Sterling, NostalgiaCritic, etc.

The dudes who have buttered their bread with a persona of loud male aggression and vulgarity (JIM FUCKING STERLING, SON) about video games or movies or other pop culture and it's like

why

why is that necessary

maybe this is an "anger is a young man's game" disconnect as I'm in my mid-thirties and I cannot summon the fire to get that level of riled up and wrathful over the corporate-produced entertainment media I enjoy.

It just seems juvenile and gauche.

Recently there was a PA comic of Tycho staring directly at the reader and yelling like an entitled child about EA ruining his e-toys for selfish corporate reasons and I just...

Was he being ironic? Was this self-parody? Was he trying to mock gamer entitlement?

....oh, maybe he wasn't.

Pony on
  • Options
    I can't believe that's what I got dogpiled on and not the implication that i think there are Black Widow and Hawkeye films out there.

Uhhh Cap 2 is as much of a Black Widow film as it is a Cap film, tbh.

But I just figured you were referring to the Avengers movies.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

Please be more explicit so I can know how harshly to judge you.

The Raimi ones! My film collection is not sullied with the Amazing Spider-Man films don’t worry

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hm so one upside of letting your body dissolve into garbage is that you see initial results from working out very quickly

I am noticeably stronger after a week of moderate new exercise

Because I was pathetically weak before that

Would recommend

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    The Fifth Element
    The Sixth Sense
    The Seventh Seal
    The Hateful 8
    8 1/2
    The Ninth Gate

American History X

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    An accurate look at PTSD in a person subjected to extraordinary and horrible events
    The Mandarin stuff

All this.

Tony Stark once again has to face mistakes from his past (a theme from Iron Man 2 but done much better in 3), and we see him use his brain to solve problems without relying (as much) on magic technology or huge piles of wealth.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    The Fifth Element
    The Sixth Sense
    The Seventh Seal
    The Hateful 8
    8 1/2
    The Ninth Gate

American History X

Rofl

This feels like cheating

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The Fifth Element
    The Sixth Sense
    The Seventh Seal

The Third Man

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    The Fifth Element
    The Sixth Sense
    The Seventh Seal
    The Hateful 8
    8 1/2
    The Ninth Gate

American History X

Oceans 11
    Oceans 12
    Oceans 13

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Fifth Element
    The Sixth Sense
    The Seventh Seal
    The Hateful 8
    8 1/2
    The Ninth Gate

American History X

That reminds me of my favorite PA strip.
    xb3Hjr6.jpg?1

• Options
    I like Jim Sterling. I don't mind the shtick if I can agree with what they say, but I am also an insufferable person so maybe I can just forgive that part.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I like Jimothy Sterlingson.

IDK what to tell people who don't like him, though, it's perfectly valid to dislike him.

• Options
    The Mandarin stuff

All this.

Tony Stark once again has to face mistakes from his past (a theme from Iron Man 2 but done much better in 3), and we see him use his brain to solve problems without relying (as much) on magic technology or huge piles of wealth.

I'll say it for the 900th time if they had called Iron Man 3 like "Tony Stark" or something like that...a lot of people would feel differently about it. Titles set expectations as much as we hate to admit it. If you're not really super into comics and don't know that sometimes there's arcs where characters are mostly "capeless" I can see being annoyed.

• Options
    I also love any AngryJoe review that starts with him walking out in full costume, looking upset and saying "you done fucked it up"

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pony wrote: »

The dudes who have buttered their bread with a persona of loud male aggression and vulgarity (JIM FUCKING STERLING, SON) about video games or movies or other pop culture and it's like

why

why is that necessary

maybe this is an "anger is a young man's game" disconnect as I'm in my mid-thirties and I cannot summon the fire to get that level of riled up and wrathful over the corporate-produced entertainment media I enjoy.

Recently there was a PA comic of Tycho staring directly at the reader and yelling like an entitled child about EA ruining his e-toys for selfish corporate reasons and I just...

Was he being ironic? Was this self-parody? Was he trying to mock gamer entitlement?

....oh, maybe he wasn't.
    I feel the same way about this and "drunk person tells it like it is". Not fond of that genre of YouTube video.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

why

why is that necessary

....oh, maybe he wasn't.

On that note Shadow of War is actually good and I can't bring myself to be mad about the mtx thing

I'm only on Act 2 so maybe my opinion changes towards the end

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
This discussion has been closed.