As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] Let's do the odyssey

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    How do you change which way you're facing when swinging on a pole?

I got this moon at the top by doing hat jump fuckery but I feel like I wasn't supposed to do it that way

The direction youre facing doesn't matter as long as your swing towards your target

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    There's something oddly satisfying about how matter-of-fact the names are for the incidental moons.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The post-game is really making me question Mario's integrity
    Yoshi's your friend, Mario

You don't have to possess him to make him do things!

He would have done those things for you if you asked!

Peach needs to stage an intervention, Cappy's a bad influence on him

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    This game is driving home that Mario is the surefire limit of how much SilverWind and I can simultaneously be into a game without needing to buy two copies to keep from destroying each other

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Mr. G wrote: »

I'm sure he would've done them

Poorly

Sometimes you've gotta handle shit yourself

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Y'all are real bad at talking around spoilers

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    This game is driving home that Mario is the surefire limit of how much SilverWind and I can simultaneously be into a game without needing to buy two copies to keep from destroying each other

I gifted a copy to my sister for her birthday, and she told me that her boyfriend was watching her play with a complete look of "God I wanna play this goddamn video game but it's Christina's gift first and foremost so she should have first dibs".

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i'm just saying, more people to not wear hats in this game.

Pauline, i'm looking at you.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    It's me, the one person playing Super Mario 3D World right now, here to tell you that Champion's Road is one hell of a level. Whoooof.

• Options
    Champion's Road rules

I hope there's some sort of equivalent in this

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I like how the game is all about Mario traveling across the globe to get cute outfits to impress his crush Bowser, without realizing that Bowser is going through all this trouble just to get Mario's attention.

Hopefully one of these days they'll just sit down and talk about their feelings for one another.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Speaking of characters with fresh new looks, Pauline is, uh...
    0h51ifyyty1q.jpgtmfx06ssg5mt.jpg
    yowza.

https://youtu.be/s1EIUP8tvbE

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    It's me, the one person playing Super Mario 3D World right now, here to tell you that Champion's Road is one hell of a level. Whoooof.

That level is no bullshit. Me and @SilverWind beat it last year and it's the proudest co-op gaming thing we've ever done

Edit: I'm going to be staggered if there's a Champion's Road equivalent in this. I'm expecting something more like a feel-good victory lap like we got in the first Galaxy.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    How do you dive for the hat after the hold move? Like, how do you do this: https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/799inb/when_nintendo_already_knows_that_people_will_try/

• Options
    you hit y after hitting the button to ground pound.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Just did the festival in new donk city

I had tears of joy the entire way through

What a goodass game this is

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Just beat it

Fuck

Fuuuuuck

There's not much to say, really

A joy from beginning to end

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    End of the story
    I knew it wouldn't happen but part of me was hoping beyond hope that when peach rejected Mario and bowser and walked off screen, it'd pan over to show her holding hands with pauline

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    This game is perfect for a portable. The amount of times today that I've just picked up the switch for a couple of minutes, gotten a moon, then just put it down, is getting out of hand.

I had a big session playing it yesterday, but I think I prefer playing it a bit at a time. Syncs nicely with my Overwatch habit.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am still in shock every time I pick up and play portably. It looks and controls so well.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Endgame kingdom spoilers
    I was secretly hoping the Moon Kingdom would have a reference to this

https://youtu.be/HU80R7jGanE

Can't win 'em all

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    How do you dive for the hat after the hold move? Like, how do you do this: https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/799inb/when_nintendo_already_knows_that_people_will_try/

Basically, the hat is going to check if you're holding the throw button only after it reaches its full range, not before. So while the hat is flying out, release the throw button, hit ZR/ZL, then quickly press and hold the throw button again.

Quick-Tap X/Y => Press ZR/ZL => Press and Hold X/Y.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Interesting. Okay.

Also, just finished New Don't City and it was awesome, too. This game is so good.

• Options
    Oh wow

I'll never 100% this game

The races are too much

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I didn't find the races too bad. Usually at the start I'll follow the other racers to see what shortcuts and jumps they're making and then I'll just do it better/cut corners tighter than them. It's the volleyball that will take forever to get.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    These wandering map battles in fire emblem echoes were neat at first but now they are mostly annoying

same for the dungeons really, except the dungeons I also find stressful even though they've been laughably easy 99% of the time

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Not a story spoiler, but there's a certain animation of Mario's that makes me so deeply uncomfortable.
    So, over a certain height, Mario dives when dropping into water. You can also dive straight into walls that are underwater.

Great detail, but I felt that one.

• Options
    How's everyone handling progress through the game?

Since folks hype up the post-game so much I've been almost-but-not-quite mainlining things so that I have as much cool, engaging stuff as possible saved for the post-game. I'm taking detours and grabbing tons of neat things, but on the last kingdom I finished I left whole areas unexplored so they would feel fresh and new when I returned to them.
    I know big portions of the game open up once you've seen the credits roll (or that's how folks have made it seem) so this isn't really necessary, but I'ma do it anyway

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I didn't find the races too bad. Usually at the start I'll follow the other racers to see what shortcuts and jumps they're making and then I'll just do it better/cut corners tighter than them. It's the volleyball that will take forever to get.

volleyball is pretty trivial. just stand in the middle and throw cappy. the window for popping the ball back up is gigantic.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I hate

beach volleyball

Truthfully I liked Dead or Alive Beach volleyball for the Volleyball the rest meh
    Still I dressed my characters in it tastefully as I could

• Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Oh hey splatoon gives me a reason to join team marina this splatfest how unexpected

Green Lantern on
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    If anyone is struggling with Jump-Rope Genius:
    Use the nearby scooter. It keeps your jumps at the same height no matter how hard or soft you hit the button.

It's tricky to get started, but once you get going it makes it way easier. I went from being stuck in the mid 50s to getting 234 on my second try with the bike.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Reggie if you're listening I'll take one Flower Robot figurine, please.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Wrapped up Odyssey last night.
    I was expecting us to possess Bowser at some point, was not expecting another vocal track to play as the Moon starts to collapse around you.

• Options
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

D-David Cage?

• Options
    So in the Gourmet Kingdom, I uh found...
    The secret path to Peach's Castle, and I also think that probably I'm gonna get to play as Yoshi at some point.

This discussion has been closed.