As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Double hammers is the combination I ended up using for the last half of the game. I liked it a lot mainly for all the stun damage, knocking people to the ground, and staggering shields.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Dual two-handed axes is what I've been using for about 60% of the game. I feel like it's a good all around weapon choice. Big hits with long reach and some nice AoE.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I want to use other weapons but double spears are just so stupidly powerful. POKE POKE POKE POKE DEAD.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    ok i think everything wincestre forward is pretty strong

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I think the main story does get really good towards the end. It definitely isn’t a bad story.

Also I’m getting a lot of screen tearing again on my series x in the snow city jorvick. Maybe the snow just makes it easier to see, I hope the initial patch isn’t the only one they ever put out, and that they keep tweaking for the next gen consoles

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    having seen the whole story now I would say the main issue is that it feels like they wrote it for a traditional 15 hour assassin's creed game but it had to be stretched over a 90 hour assassin's creed game

ending
    having to unequip the axe to abandon odin and become an atheist is good!!! thats good shit!!!

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    having seen the whole story now I would say the main issue is that it feels like they wrote it for a traditional 15 hour assassin's creed game but it had to be stretched over a 90 hour assassin's creed game

ending
    having to unequip the axe to abandon odin and become an atheist is good!!! thats good shit!!!

Yeah like some of the vignettes are fine, some are even good, but they're spaced out so bizarrely that I can barely remember what happens AS it's happening, let alone when they try to call it back 45 hours later

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

ending

I was so confused by that bit.
    I had literally never done it in game before, so while I immediately understood the hint that I was supposed to unequip my axe, for a long time I couldn't actually figure out how. And on top of that, if you "die", another companion appears at the doorway, so then I wasn't sure if the clue was just misleading or if I was simply being forced to get killed multiple times before I could progress. The significance of that fight rather loses its impact when you resort to just standing there letting him beat you down over and over with no consequence because you can't figure out what the game wants.

Though I suppose some credit can be given that they don't make you reload and start all the cutscenes and the fight over if you die because you can't figure it out as other games have done.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

ending

I was so confused by that bit.
    I had literally never done it in game before, so while I immediately understood the hint that I was supposed to unequip my axe, for a long time I couldn't actually figure out how. And on top of that, if you "die", another companion appears at the doorway, so then I wasn't sure if the clue was just misleading or if I was simply being forced to get killed multiple times before I could progress. The significance of that fight rather loses its impact when you resort to just standing there letting him beat you down over and over with no consequence because you can't figure out what the game wants.

Though I suppose some credit can be given that they don't make you reload and start all the cutscenes and the fight over if you die because you can't figure it out as other games have done.
    I was confused because the first time there was a popup telling me to unequip my axe I went into the menu and tried and for whatever reason it didn't unequip, so I figured my equipment was locked and kept fighting him. But also I didn't know why I had to do it at all because I hadn't tried running so never got the scene of him using the axe to pull me back towards him. After the third popup I tried again and it worked this time.

So the entire scene was potentially cool but ruined by a combination of bugs, poor player direction, and me being an idiot with "you're supposed to die/leave, dummy" segments in video games.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I actually commented "hey Eivor you should do the thing" and kept going, then the game had a popup that was "hey dumbass, YOU have to do the thing" and I was all oh right yeah I can do that can't I?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Great I just realised I can’t get 100% achievement because of some glitch with automatic looting skill and enemies that have a wealth item on them. They just keep respawning and you keep looting them but it never registers the wealth

Fantastic. Goddamnit fix the damn game ubisoft, I never had anything like as many glitches and bugs in odyssey or origins

Also the animus glitches puzzles go from dull to fucking irritating really quick. Shit like this just needs to be cut from these games. Who’s clamouring for it? Oh please give me more platforming puzzles which sometimes glitch out, sometimes your character won’t move right, are you doing something wrong or is the parkour just being janky? Who knows!? and you get all the visual thrills of red and blue boxes and ugly glitch effects. This bullet point filler bullshit needs to die, it’s a waste of everyone’s time, developers and players

Prohass on
  • Options
    Also ffs it’s telling me for the mission “more intel” to talk to randvi about it, talk to her and she’s got nothing. Internet says to pledge to a region first, did that and still nothing

• Options
    I am absolutely clamoring for the animus glitches, it's me, I'm the problem

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I am absolutely clamoring for the animus glitches, it's me, I'm the problem

Honestly, the modern day/sci-fi stuff is what prevents me from being totally disappointed in Valhalla. I enjoyed pretty much of all that stuff.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I just don’t understand how those rote, half assed glitchy jumping puzzles with light beams can be fun for anyone. They’re bad and if you like them you have wrongness deep in your core. It has all the fun of laser tag without the lasers or the tag

I’ve got nothing against animus glitches or tech forming the base of side missions or mini quests, I just can’t believe anyone would find the ones in this game anything other than boring at best and annoying at worst.

Also while I like the cairn puzzles in theory some of them are just so frustrating and intimidating that I give up and look for guides. Like I have no idea if I’ve almost got it or if my entire approach is wrong

Prohass on
  • Options
    I miss the climbing puzzles from the early ACs, where you had to find routes and get your approach right, and I love the sci-fi bullshit, so, yeah. I'm down for the glitches.

I mean, I even loved the AssCreed: Revelations DLC that was literally nothing but first person jumping puzzles and modern lore

I like traversal puzzles and dumb sci-fi bullshit

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The worst events are clearly the standing stones and that stupid rumble that doesn't do anything to guide you until you've already completed the puzzle

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I started checking out of the AC franchise when they killed off Desmond and quit doing modern day stuff to be honest.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The fact that Valhalla is such a grab-bag of returning old features and story beats is probably why I enjoyed it a lot more than if it was a basic more contained thing. I am a simple man who loves call-backs what can I say?

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I am 97 hours in to this too-long fuckin' game. I have just hit a game-breaking bug on a main mission, and can no longer progress the story.

To work around the bug, I would have to redo around 20 hours of gameplay. Or I can wait for Ubi to fix it.

It has apparently been a known issue for around three weeks.

Cool, cool, cool.

Edit: The bug is a result of a story mission in Suthsexe. There's a big battle. If any allies get knocked down, make sure to revive them. Normally, plot-critical NPCs bounce back after the battle regardless of whether or not you revive them, but that particular battle has one bugged character. If you don't revive them, they get flagged as dead somehow, and it breaks a later mission in a different region. It's REAL annoying!

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am 97 hours in to this too-long fuckin' game. I have just hit a game-breaking bug on a main mission, and can no longer progress the story.

To work around the bug, I would have to redo around 20 hours of gameplay. Or I can wait for Ubi to fix it.

Cool, cool, cool.

Edit: The bug is a result of a story mission in Suthsexe. There's a big battle. If any allies get knocked down, make sure to revive them. Normally, plot-critical NPCs bounce back after the battle regardless of whether or not you revive them, but that particular battle has one bugged character. If you don't revive them, they get flagged as dead somehow, and it breaks a later mission in a different region. It's REAL annoying!
    AC games being a barely functioning patchwork of cobbled together code is always fascinating to me.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Cool, cool, cool.

AC games being a barely functioning patchwork of cobbled together code is always fascinating to me.

Weirdly, this is the only time I've hit a complete dead-end of a bug like this in a AAA game. Bugged achievements, weird flagging on quest outcomes, sure. But I've never before seen, "You literally cannot finish the story."

It's wild.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I had a great bug with a treasure that I couldn't loot because it was on a corpse and the soldiers in the area didn't respawn.

The amazing solution I found online was to carry the corpse out to where some enemies were patrolling and trap it with a bomb, then let the enemies blow it up. That triggered an actual respawn so I could kill the guy and loot the treasure.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Cool, cool, cool.

Weirdly, this is the only time I've hit a complete dead-end of a bug like this in a AAA game. Bugged achievements, weird flagging on quest outcomes, sure. But I've never before seen, "You literally cannot finish the story."

It's wild.

Can you say whereabouts it is so I can keep an eye out?

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Cool, cool, cool.

It's wild.

The bug's consequences land in Eurivic, but the bug's cause is in an assault mission in Suthsexe.

Revive anybody who gets knocked down there, even though it's not a problem literally anywhere else in the game.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I googled around and it looks like the character in question is someone I haven't even met yet, so I think I should be good, but dang that's a fucking bummer!

• Options
    edited December 2020
    There is also still a tonne of screen tearing in cities and built up regions on the series x, it’s very ugly and noticeable especially in wincestre, and also a pretty big dip in frame rate a lot of the time

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Cool, cool, cool.

It's wild.

The bug's consequences land in Eurivic, but the bug's cause is in an assault mission in Suthsexe.

Revive anybody who gets knocked down there, even though it's not a problem literally anywhere else in the game.

This is like the worst kind of bug, it’s fine when a bug is immediately noticeable and you can work around it, but shit like this is worth just quitting the game over.

It’s very clear this was rushed for the console launch window, which means that the game wasn’t even optimised well for those consoles it was rushed for

Like maybe if you can’t get the game to launch without being riddled with bugs don’t make your games 120 goddamn hours long developers (or more likely publishers and upper management)

Prohass on
  • Options
    Big patch set to drop tomorrow, the quest that bugged out for me is on the list of fixes. Fingers crossed!

• Options
    The patch worked!

And oooh, I am liking the modern day developments. Some really interesting shit here.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I don't know what the like, consensus is on AC Rogue is, because I was busy losing my eyesight between 2013-2015, but I am really liking it so far. Shay seems like a good protagonist, much better than I was expecting; from the title and premise (an assassin joins the Templars and hunts down his old mates) I kind of expected he'd be a GTA shithead in an Assassin's Creed universe. Instead him joining the bad guys is played more like a tragedy and I like that. Gameplay-wise it's more Black Flag and I am also obviously here for that.

Something I've really liked about certain AC games since 2 is their willingness to - and I know this may sound weird - but to use a richer color palette than most games, and often in service of an aesthetic that is more expressionist than strictly, boringly realistic. In AC2 the lighting over Ezio's villa in Monteriggioni was stunningly beautiful and clearly meant to echo Renaissance paintings of the time, with these big...voluminous, tangible shafts of vivid orange and yellow and red and purple light. That was especially striking in 2008 when we were still neck-deep in the shitty "yellow fog of foreignstan" war FPS aesthetic.

Games have gotten better since then so a lack of vivid color is not a complaint I have as frequently but AC Rogue is still striking in spots, particularly in the "River Valley" overworld area, which is meant to kind of loosely represent the coastal waterways of the northeast, and I am convinced that a lot of its look and feel is straight from the Hudson River School painting style. I would be super unsurprised if in fact a bunch of the paintings had been reproduced in the landscape just straight up. It also, again, has this very vivid lighting that's not quite real but that really sells the atmosphere and environment.

N5tZHyMl.png
    aekoRgZl.jpg

• Options
    I found Rogue to be a bit slight, which makes sense given the nature of the project, but still a lot of fun. Probably my favorite of the side-story games, from a gameplay standpoint, though I preferred Liberation's characters/world/story. It was better than the weaker mainline entries (Unity, Revelations), even. Definitely a worthwhile endeavor.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I found Rogue to be a bit slight, which makes sense given the nature of the project, but still a lot of fun. Probably my favorite of the side-story games, from a gameplay standpoint, though I preferred Liberation's characters/world/story. It was better than the weaker mainline entries (Unity, Revelations), even. Definitely a worthwhile endeavor.

Liberation was weird. I liked it, and it had surprisingly robust gameplay for a handheld, but the characters and story felt kind of...incomplete.

Like they, and the plot, made perfect sense when you were near the end of hte game and had unlocked all the documents and codex entries with the little biographies and so forth, but in the moment I kept finding myself like "wait, what is Agate's damage here. Why is he suddenly constantly furious at Avelline?" I found myself going "wait, who?" a lot. It feels very much like a game whose ambitions outstrapped its handheld side game resources. Which is a shame but like, as problems go, there are way worse ones. I'm really impressed at what they tried to do (and to be clear, frequently succeeded at. I really liked Aveline a lot and I loved their rendition of the French Quarter.)

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    AC Rogue was one of my favorites, actually

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I've completed every quest, 100%'ed every region, I have all the trophies that aren't that stupid fishing one - does Valhalla just... not have end credits?

Weird!

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I've completed every quest, 100%'ed every region, I have all the trophies that aren't that stupid fishing one - does Valhalla just... not have end credits?

Weird!

If Odyssey is the model, there’s still another 100 hours of DLC to go before the end.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    AC Rogue was fun if only to have a game from the Templar point of view. It was a nice change up.

I still think it's hilarious that it was this side game pushed out in the wake of the much more marketed Unity, which was a broken buggy mess at launch, and wound up being the better game.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    AC Rogue was fun if only to have a game from the Templar point of view. It was a nice change up.

I still think it's hilarious that it was this side game pushed out in the wake of the much more marketed Unity, which was a broken buggy mess at launch, and wound up being the better game.

The Lisbon Quake is the best set piece in the entire series.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I’m confused about the doom the Isu precursors or whatever avoided
    if it’s some sort of physical cataclysm, like a solar flare, how come just downloading their DNA or memories or whatever into human babies works? Wouldn’t the babies also be destroyed? Like I’m super confused. Are they avoiding like a nuclear winter or something? If so how come hibernation pods don’t work? Like it’s super confusing as to what the cataclysm is and why it can only be avoided by DNA download or rebirth or whatever. Like how come the humans didn’t all die too?

Also I can’t be sure if it was just two seperate animations lining up perfectly, but I think I saw two kinsman enemies combine in one animation, where one holds its tower shield over his head, and the one with a spear jumped off the shield and onto me. I made a recording but the angle I saw it at was bad

Either way looked awesome

Also had the axe assassination throw miss, which in slow motion following the axe just looked hilarious. Like eivor tried to do something cool and just completely biffed it

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m confused about the doom the Isu precursors or whatever avoided
    if it’s some sort of physical cataclysm, like a solar flare, how come just downloading their DNA or memories or whatever into human babies works? Wouldn’t the babies also be destroyed? Like I’m super confused. Are they avoiding like a nuclear winter or something? If so how come hibernation pods don’t work? Like it’s super confusing as to what the cataclysm is and why it can only be avoided by DNA download or rebirth or whatever. Like how come the humans didn’t all die too?

Also I can’t be sure if it was just two seperate animations lining up perfectly, but I think I saw two kinsman enemies combine in one animation, where one holds its tower shield over his head, and the one with a spear jumped off the shield and onto me. I made a recording but the angle I saw it at was bad

Either way looked awesome

Also had the axe assassination throw miss, which in slow motion following the axe just looked hilarious. Like eivor tried to do something cool and just completely biffed it

My interpretation is
    that the Isu where very dependent on tech that was going to be wrecked by the flare. Some sort of medical nanites or something to keep them going maybe? The Asgard stuff mentions that Asgard will burn but "the humans will survive in the forests" so implanting personalities into the human genome in a similar style to the Sage thing that you can see Juno do again here would work.

7qmGNt5.png