As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Shaxx Me Outside How Bou Dah

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    It’s such a stupid response. “Oh we thought you HATED scaling? Well we certainly can’t give you the good scaling without the bad scaling. Wouldn’t be fair”

Like when a parent gets called out for favoritism so they make all their kids have a shitty time to prove that they are fair

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Oh, doubling the XP will at a minimum double the time it'll take for anyone who wasn't getting their base XP gain cut in half by the throttling.

But them's the breaks.

What I find amusing is that if the numbers had simply been displayed differently, the lowest rate of XP gain could easily have been the "base" rate, with a boost for initial XP gain or longer activities. But instead, because of how the information was presented, the throttling was Bungie "taking away" XP.

(I also still think that the numbers displayed not being scaled was probably an oversight, not deliberately misleading, but then I am a naïf.)
    Huggles wrote: »
    Were brengrams by themselves ever really an incentive to play for anyone? Genuinely curious.
    I like getting them, so it probably adds some incentive, but I also don't care if it takes me twice as long to get one.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I've played a shitload of D1 and D2, and I feel no incentive to get bright engrams from the store. I don't give much of a shit about ships, because they do nothing for me. Sparrows I have at least 6 of on each character but no exotic Sparrow. Once I had three insta-summon ones, I stopped caring.

I have piles of ghosts, but again, since you can't be sure of what you're going to get, I'd never bother buying anything to get them.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Uh, with all of the legendaries being samey, yeah, brengrams and flashpoints have been the only reason I log in anymore. It's the only way to get unique-ish gear.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Like, imagine the following system:

Public Events (and similar activities) give you bonus XP that scales down with each successive one but builds back up over time.

You build up an XP buff over time doing PVP or raiding.

This would be strictly worse in terms of XP per hour than the previous system, since under this one you don't gain more XP for trash mobs prior to completing a public event.

And yet I'm reasonably confident that most people (absent the higher "base" rate to compare it to) would consider it "better," because it would *feel* like you're only ever being given more XP, not having it taken away.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I guess they were afraid that with the floodgates gone, the hardcore gambling addicts that buy engrams like candy would now turn to farming public events for that sweet XP and bright engram fix, so now everybody that plays within the normal range of XP gain has to suffer?

IDK. I guess this means I will be playing Destiny 2 longer because it will take more time to eat the 3x XP buff per character? Though I still haven't done that on all the characters this week...

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Surfpossum wrote: »

Public Events (and similar activities) give you bonus XP that scales down with each successive one but builds back up over time.

This would be strictly worse in terms of XP per hour than the previous system, since under this one you don't gain more XP for trash mobs prior to completing a public event.

And yet I'm reasonably confident that most people (absent the higher "base" rate to compare it to) would consider it "better," because it would *feel* like you're only ever being given more XP, not having it taken away.

I think you are missing the point. The problem isn't the method of how the exp is being throttled or whatever. We already have a 3x exp buff for the first three bright engrams and then it goes back to the super grind. That is more similar to your suggested "better" method and not a single person has really thrown a fit about it. Why? Because its clear and open and communicated up front to the playerbase.

This throttling mechanic, however, was hidden from the playerbase. Not only hidden, but the UI was straight lying to the players. That the system is directly tied to their cash shop is what makes it feel even more scummy.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I've played a shitload of D1 and D2, and I feel no incentive to get bright engrams from the store. I don't give much of a shit about ships, because they do nothing for me. Sparrows I have at least 6 of on each character but no exotic Sparrow. Once I had three insta-summon ones, I stopped caring.

I have piles of ghosts, but again, since you can't be sure of what you're going to get, I'd never bother buying anything to get them.

It's great that you currently don't have an incentive to buy Bright Engrams*, but that's not the point, because the system is trying to get those who are fussed about getting items whose availability is limited, similar to Overwatch's holiday outfits.

We used to get shaders / ghosts / ships / etc for free, while you could buy the dance you wanted directly. Now you can't do that at all, and instead we have this lootbox luck system, which preys on people's addictions.

*I'm currently not fussed, because currently nothing appeals to me while for things like ships, I honestly don't see much difference between the Exotic / Legendary ships. However, I might very well have a different attitude if Bungie released a cosmetic set of armour that was an updated version of the Egyptian Destiny 1 Warlock kit (I still wouldn't, because the loot system would just give me armbands and boots).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    So Bungie straight up lied to everyone, repeatedly tried to hide the fact that they lied and when they were caught lying they doubled the XP cap?

Cool, cool.

Fuck Microtransactions.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

I think you are missing the point. The problem isn't the method of how the exp is being throttled or whatever. We already have a 3x exp buff for the first three bright engrams and then it goes back to the super grind. That is more similar to your suggested "better" method and not a single person has really thrown a fit about it. Why? Because its clear and open and communicated up front to the playerbase.

This throttling mechanice, however, was hidden from the playerbase. Not only hidden, but the UI was straight lying to the players. That the system is directly tied to their cash shop is what makes it feel even more scummy.
    I mean, aside from the bit about it being lying, yes, that's what I said? If the numbers had been presented differently, nobody would have had an issue with the throttling, because it could just as easily have been presented as a buff while the "real" base XP was the fully throttled one.

This is all just further solidifying my belief that letting players see too much is a terrible idea.

• Options

This throttling mechanice, however, was hidden from the playerbase. Not only hidden, but the UI was straight lying to the players. That the system is directly tied to their cash shop is what makes it feel even more scummy.
    I mean, aside from the bit about it being lying, yes, that's what I said? If the numbers had been presented differently, nobody would have had an issue with the throttling, because it could just as easily have been presented as a buff while the "real" base XP was the fully throttled one.

This is all just further solidifying my belief that letting players see too much is a terrible idea.

Thats what you get from this? Really?

That Bungie should have hidden even more from the playerbase?

• Options
    edited November 2017

You could, you know - just not lie to people to begin with? Outlandish, I know.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    What I find amusing is that if the numbers had simply been displayed differently, the lowest rate of XP gain could easily have been the "base" rate, with a boost for initial XP gain or longer activities. But instead, because of how the information was presented, the throttling was Bungie "taking away" XP.

It's a very fundamental psychological difference that Blizzard tested way back in the WoW beta. XP gains used to be diminished for players that played for long sessions and players complained. Blizzard changed the mechanic before release to give you bonus ("rested") XP for logging out at an inn that accrued over time (while also setting a limit to the amount of bonus XP that you could bank) and the complaints disappeared.

Same effect, different messaging. Bungie messaging has very rarely been anything but utter shit. Never mind the fact that all this information was initially hidden from players, and it always looks worse for things like this to be discovered instead of the developer being open an honest.

Found while googling, better articulates my example of WoW's rested XP:
    http://www.psychologyofgames.com/2010/03/framing-and-world-of-warcrafts-rest-system/

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options

Yes.

If you never see the 80k per level or the incorrect numbers, then suddenly it's not throttling, it's an XP buff that decays as you grind Public Events or whatever and builds as you do PVP or raids.

But because you got to see some of how the system handled XP, it's definitely throttling and taking XP away from you.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    So Bungie straight up lied to everyone, repeatedly tried to hide the fact that they lied and when they were caught lying they doubled the XP cap?

Cool, cool.

Fuck Microtransactions.

But remember, with the PC release total revenue from D2 already exceeds total consumer spend from D1 so...get used to them?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Hmmmm, a system developed 7 years ago by a popular company that Bungie has good relations with and Bungie ignored learning from their history?

Oh, that sounds so unlike Bungie.

• Options
    edited November 2017

Yes.

If you never see the 80k per level or the incorrect numbers, then suddenly it's not throttling, it's an XP buff that decays as you grind Public Events or whatever and builds as you do PVP or raids.

But because you got to see some of how the system handled XP, it's definitely throttling and taking XP away from you.

If we never saw the 80k per level or the incorrect numbers, then people would still have done pixel analysis on the exp bar and we'd be right back to where we are. Unless you are saying that Bungie would have then be able to lie to us and state it was an XP buff*, despite it actually being throttling, which seems like a weird thing to be advocating for.

*Because it was not an XP buff. Not in any way shape or form. Since no matter how long you stayed in PvP and Raids, your XP would be throttled just as fast in PEs. They weren't correlated with each other.

So I guess they should take away the EXP bar, too, in order to prevent the players from understanding the system. You know, in case they figure out the psychological techniques being used on them to keep them playing the game. Less information about the reward systems in place is never good. Again, I point to the very clear 3x buff we have right now. Everyone is fine with that. We have all the information about how that works, people understand it and they are cool with it. And I think that's because we have all the correct information about it. Even if they changed it to, "After your first 3 bright engrams a week, you earn EXP 3x slower", I still think most people would be ok with it. This whole issue has barely anything to do with how its "packaged" and instead has everything to do with hiding information from the players and using the game to lie to them about their progress.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Hmmmm, a system developed 7 years ago by a popular company that Bungie has good relations with and Bungie ignored learning from their history?

Oh, that sounds so unlike Bungie.

I'm going to make you feel real old here, but WoW was released in 2004; so 13 years ago.

I used to think it maddening to see Destiny make mistakes WoW made way back when, but perhaps they're attempting to follow Overwatch more than anything else.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Yes.

You're complaint is that they didn't psychologically manipulate people enough.

The whole skinner box set up that xp bars are built around and why you see them in every fucking game now is exploiting the way human brains work.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Like, these two equations:

XP = 1.5 * (time spent playing) - 0.5 *
    (time spent doing Public Events)

XP = 1.0 * (time spent playing) + 0.5 * (time spent doing not Public Events)

are the same thing. But if you let players see that you are doing the former, they will get way more upset than if they see that you are doing the latter, because you're taking something away.

• Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    Bungie is eroding player trust by hiding or obfuscating information, especially as it pertains to something related to items that can be purchased for real money.

"They lied to us about X, they hid how Y actually works - what about A, B, C, or Z? What don't we know that we're assuming to be true?"

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

are the same thing. But if you let players see that you are doing the former, they will get way more upset than if they see that you are doing the latter, because you're taking something away.

You seem to not recognize the core problem brought up several times, so I'll spell it out.

The lying part is the problem.

I dont particularly care about their equations, as long as their UI dont straight up lie to me.

Sirialis on
  • Options

Sure. But explain to me how the latter is an XP buff.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I've been checking in on this thread and reddit daily to see if the game got better (or rather more suited to what I want it to be) and it's just been going downhill.

Seeing some of the responses here really makes me wonder what it would take to stop people from defending Bungo.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

You seem to not get this at all, so I'll spell it out.

ITS THE LYING PART.

I dont give a shit about their fucking equations.
    But the only thing that was "lying," as far as I'm aware, was the XP numbers being displayed and that seems far more like a coding oversight. But maybe it was intentional!

Yes.

If we never saw the 80k per level or the incorrect numbers, then people would still have done pixel analysis on the exp bar and we'd be right back to where we are. Unless you are saying that Bungie would have then be able to lie to us and state it was an XP buff*, despite it actually being throttling, which seems like a weird thing to be advocating for.

*Because it was not an XP buff. Not in any way shape or form. Since no matter how long you stayed in PvP and Raids, your XP would be throttled just as fast in PEs. They weren't correlated with each other.

So I guess they should take away the EXP bar, too, in order to prevent the players from understanding the system. You know, in case they figure out the psychological techniques being used on them to keep them playing the game. Less information about the reward systems in place is never good. Again, I point to the very clear 3x buff we have right now. Everyone is fine with that. We have all the information about how that works, people understand it and they are cool with it. And I think that's because we have all the correct information about it. Even if they changed it to, "After your first 3 bright engrams a week, you earn EXP 3x slower", I still think most people would be ok with it. This whole issue has barely anything to do with how its "packaged" and instead has everything to do with hiding information from the players and using the game to lie to them about their progress.
    Again, absent the actual numbers, the previous system could be replicated by having a low base rate of XP gain with a buff that decays as you gain XP via Public Events or other large masses of XP. Analyzing the bar, or even the XP values in DIM, would not tell you the difference.

Would you have been okay with the existing system if the XP values being displayed were correctly adjusted? If not, then your issue isn't with information being hidden, it's with feeling like something is being taken from you.

• Options

You get bonus XP for doing things that aren't Public Events.

• Options
    edited November 2017

ITS THE LYING PART.

But the only thing that was "lying," as far as I'm aware, was the XP numbers being displayed and that seems far more like a coding oversight. But maybe it was intentional!

Yes.

Again, absent the actual numbers, the previous system could be replicated by having a low base rate of XP gain with a buff that decays as you gain XP via Public Events or other large masses of XP. Analyzing the bar, or even the XP values in DIM, would not tell you the difference.

Would you have been okay with the existing system if the XP values being displayed were correctly adjusted? If not, then your issue isn't with information being hidden, it's with feeling like something is being taken from you.

Yes. Edit: and especially if there was something on screen to denote that I was earning less exp due to earning too much too quickly.

That's the whole point.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The problem with greedy and lying developers/publishers is that you have to be on your guard constantly because if you're not, they'll trick you into giving them more money. And when you have to be on your guard constantly, you can't let go and immerse yourself in the game.

Good games only have one goal: To make playing it an enjoyable experience for the customer. Games that try to extract more money from you have another goal as well and the two goals often lead to a very visible conflict in how the game is experienced.

I have a number of publishers that I avoid because having to be on my guard ruins the experience for me.

Fiskebent on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    If the game had from the start always displayed the correct and actual numbers, post any throttling adjustment, then I doubt there would be any flak about the system. It would have been a known and understood part of the XP rewards and people would have just accepted that, while maybe thinking it kinda sucked being subjected to xp throttles.

But, surprisingly, people don't like being misled. And it doesn't matter if it's something important, or just a video game -- people fundamentally don't enjoy being lied to.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited November 2017

You get bonus XP for doing things that aren't Public Events.

But thats not:

Which is why its disingenuous to say that had Bungie hidden more information from players, they could have spun their current system in a way that didn't piss off players.

ObiFett on
  • Options

ITS THE LYING PART.

Yes.

Yes.

That's the whole point.
    Oh! Well then, I guess I've been getting the wrong impression.

But surely now that this issue has been gotten rid of everything is fine.

• Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Workshopping shaders for my new Gensym Knight set. I kinda dig it with Golden Trace, what do you all think?
    It's like a goth Cobra Commander vibe

jtl0b0fgsp38.jpg

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Three resets, Trials engrams, three Trials sidearms.

destiny2.txt

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Not really, now the can of worms has been opened and people are starting to ask "what else am I being lied to about?" and that means that player trust is in question.

And despite some individuals apologetic, off-putting and blase attitude towards that - it would appear that people DO care about that trust.

• Options

ITS THE LYING PART.

Yes.

Yes.

That's the whole point.
    Oh! Well then, I guess I've been getting the wrong impression.

But surely now that this issue has been gotten rid of everything is fine.

Nope.

Because like @Erevar has said, once you catch a liar, and said liar only admits to lying because they were caught, it becomes impossible to not question most anything they tell you for a period of time.

Even worse, is that after catching Bungie hiding and lying to their players, they didn't change the system to favor the players even in the slightest as a way to gain some goodwill, they instead doubled down and changed the system to still be as punishing to the player. That doesn't sound like they feel even the slightest bit like they were in the wrong for lying to their players about this part of their progression/reward system that ties directly into their cash shop.

• Options
    I think that the male Gensym Knight armor makes it seem like my hunter has dad bod, but I really like the Gensym arms and cloak!

Oh.... your color combo is cool too.

• Options
    I think that the male Gensym Knight armor makes it seem like my hunter has dad bod, but I really like the Gensym arms and cloak!

Dad bods are for Titans.

• Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Dad bods are for Titans.

Yes. They need to fix the armor. Priority one.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    The hyperbole is astounding, the time it takes to summon a sparrow isn't so arduous that the instant perk is the only good one with the rest being garbage. That's the sort of bullshit that led to static perks on weapons, with people declaring there's only one true god pull and Bungie taking it to heart.

Zero hyperbole here. The instant summon perk is just miles better from a game feel perspective then everything else. It's not even a contest. It makes you feel miles more mobile in the game world which when running around doing shit fantastic. It feels smooth. None of the other perks are as useful or make the play experience feel better that way.

I've only got 2 out of 3 characters with quick summon right now and you can really feel it on the one that doesn't have it.

cB557 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    so i just got vanishing point out of a bright engram and i think it has a cooler looking effect than dinas emrys

but it came with reload perk and not quick summon so it’s basically garbage

You know random perks on sparrows are fucking awful but I actually think they'd be tolerable if not for quick summon. Quick summon on sparrows is just so much better then every other perk and so good on it's own that there's literally no reason to use a sparrow if it doesn't have it. Which renders buying sparrows pointless.
    I'm not sure how the other random perks are awful. Autoloaders is handy, and vernier thrusters is better for sparrow flying.

I didn't say the perks were awful. The perks being randomly assigned is awful. It basically means getting that sparrow you want is pretty pointless because there is good odds it loads with perks you find useless. The rest of the perks are mostly fine and wouldn't be a huge issue except quick summon is just so much better then them all by miles.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The XP garbage is exactly why I'm vociferously anti-lootbox (to the point that it definitely pisses off other folks on here). It is impossible to add microtransactions, especially loot boxes, to your game without it having a massive warping effect on the gameplay.

This discussion has been closed.