As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wifi issues

I just recently upgraded to Spectrum's fastest speeds (up to 100mbps) and have been trying to figure out what's going on with my speeds since yesterday.

Before I switched services I was getting 26Mbps from speedtest.net's site. After the switch it went down to 17Mbps. I went to their store and exchanged the modem for a newer one (the old one was several years old at that point). When I got home and got it ready to go it was testing at 26Mbps again. On a whim I decided to plug the modem into my PC directly and I was getting 125Mbps... Nearly 10 times the amount. Okay at this point it's the router I'm using or the WiFi. So I plug the router directly into my PC and got the same 122Mbps speeds. I then connected to my WiFi and ran it again... 20Mbps.

My WiFi adapter is a Netgear Wireless N USB device. (https://kb.netgear.com/43/WNDA3100-Product-FAQs)
My WiFi router is: https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-EA9200/ which I figured to be top of the line since it was Linksys, tri-band, and $300. Everything on their store page says that it can do up to WAY more than 25Mbps.

I have the router setup to not have the guest network, I have disabled the Wireless G network and only have the Wireless N network going for the 2.4Ghz band, and have the 5.0Ghz band going as well.

Please help. I know I could buy those powerline adapters, but I should be getting MORE than 25Mbps on a Wireless N router, right?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Unless you're next to a router and it's dual band itself (many are not dual band), don't expect to do much better than what you're getting for wifi signals.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Looks like they're both at least dual band, though the router uses a non standard form, and the USB adapter uses the draft form of wireless N... you're probably gonna have a ton of issues.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Looks like they're both at least dual band, though the router uses a non standard form, and the USB adapter uses the draft form of wireless N... you're probably gonna have a ton of issues.

My phone also only pulls 26Mbps which I guess isn't all that surprising.

• Options
    that is unfortunate, probably a limitation of the router

• Options
    So this $300 was a waste of money, huh?

• Options
    A cisco adapter with that triple band tech would work better?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    A cisco adapter with that triple band tech would work better?

Interesting. Best bang for my buck would still be to buy a different wireless router though, right? I mean... I should be getting more than 20Mbps from wireless, right? I thought N was up to 100+?

edit: The reason I mention buying a new router is because it's not just my PCs that I'd like the increased speeds... We have a smart TV upstairs that uses the WiFi as well. And our phones... So I can't just buy a cisco adapter for each of those.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Are you testing it next to the device or through a few walls and getting that 20mbps?

• Options
    It's a straight shot from the router to my computer. No walls or anything like that. Probably about 25ft away

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Do you have separate network names for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands? I've seen devices have a lot of trouble navigating the two if they're named the same.

Download the WiFi analyzer app for your phone and see if any nearby networks are interfering with your router. Change the broadcast channel if so.

If those two things don't solve the issue, I'd look into replacing that router. It could just be broken. There's no reason at the distance you're talking that you should be seeing a 75% reduction in bandwidth.

Edit: download that app. Walk the floor of your home, and see if there are places that the signal just drops. Maybe there's interference in the house from another device.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Try setting up different ssid's on the different bands so you know for sure which one you are connecting to. The lower speed 2.4 stuff will have longer range and better penetration than 5.8 so your device may be stuck on that if they all have the same name.

Also, turn off b/g support if you don't need it. If such devices connect they can drop the speed of all connections on the AP to the lowest compatible speed if the AP doesnt do mixed mode.

The speed benefits of N come from channel bonding (40Mhz or larger) so make sure it's turned on. But using such wide channels increases your exposure to interference.

But as mentioned, that old USB adapter isn't helping.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    An update appears!

We bought a new adapter from Best Buy that was the same tech as the router and wouldn't you know it? 120Mbps on it.

So I'm thinking about just getting a new router because I can't use that adapter on my phone.

• Options
    huzzah when people don't follow specifications!

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'd return the router if you could. The Linksys stuff isn't very good anymore, especially at the high end. The Netgear R7000P is cheaper and likely better.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I'd return the router if you could. The Linksys stuff isn't very good anymore, especially at the high end. The Netgear R7000P is cheaper and likely better.

Unfortunately I got it as a Christmas gift a couple years ago. But I'll be looking into a new router soon enough. Thanks!

• Options
    For consumer gear Linksys is mostly fine. The UI leaves a lot to be desired, but they're fine.

• Options
    They're OK, but if you're going to spend $200+ you should get a Netgear or Asus probably. Or a mesh kit.

• Options
    They're OK, but if you're going to spend $200+ you should get a Netgear or Asus probably. Or a mesh kit.

Yeah I've been looking at the Orbi mesh networks... Not sure if I want to go there yet....

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah I've been looking at the Orbi mesh networks... Not sure if I want to go there yet....

No. Ew.

If you want mesh, go with Eero. If that's outside your budget, look at Google Wifi instead.

• Options
    Interesting. Google Wifi is relatively cheap for a mesh network... Is it worth it?

• Options
    Eero and Google WiFi are the only mesh products I carry in my van. I recommend them constantly. The range on Google WiFi is a little lower, and I think the throughput might be as well, but for the price they're impressive.

For the record, we also sell Velop, Orbi, Luma, and Samsung's mesh. And I own the Velop. But I won't sell it.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I have a single Google Wifi unit in my 950 square foot condo and I swear by it. It is fantastic.

If you're looking for something with super advanced feature sets like router level VPN, being able to customize your LAN (i.e. you can't change your LAN subnet, it's 192.168.86.x), etc than it isn't for you.

But if you just want something that you plug in, set up, and it just works, Google Wifi is pretty great.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I was thinking about trying Plume for a Christmas lark, but I'm still on the fence on #meshlife. But this AT&T Gateway sucks.

• Options
    It'd be nice as a power consumer to have some business level features like QoS and all that.

I have yet to find a router that does it well, and the open source stuff is garbage in terms of usability.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I have a single Google Wifi unit in my 950 square foot condo and I swear by it. It is fantastic.

If you're looking for something with super advanced feature sets like router level VPN, being able to customize your LAN (i.e. you can't change your LAN subnet, it's 192.168.86.x), etc than it isn't for you.

But if you just want something that you plug in, set up, and it just works, Google Wifi is pretty great.

thirded on google wifi. I have the three pack in our house, and this thread actually reminded me that I haven't opened the app for it in months because it's been just working fine.

• Options
    Alright that settles it... With any Christmas money I happen into I'll be putting that towards Google Wifi.