Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

24567100

Posts

  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked a lot but how would you guys rate the switch as a hand held? I am starting a new job soon and will be commuting by train and looking for things to do on my ride. I do have a TV at home but if I get it my usage would be at least 90% as a mobile device. Is it worth it or should I get a 3ds or a Vita instead?
    I've been using it almost exclusively as a mobile platform (I'm on the subway for like 2.5 hours a day). I absolutely love it, but it's definitely a bulky thing. You can shove a 3DS in the bag without thinking twice about it - it won't add much weight or bulk to your bag. On the other hand, the Switch is already bigger than a 3DS and it 100% needs a case to protect it; it will definitely take up non-trivial space in your bag, and add a bit of weight.

    Another thing is how much space you will have to yourself on the train. I'm on the NYC subway, which can get pretty crowded. Sometimes I don't bother taking the Switch out of my bag, because holding it in cramped quarters is just physically uncomfortable. Now that we're heading into winter, I'm going to have a fluffy jacket in my lap; I'm not sure I'll be able to juggle the bag, the jacket, and the Switch. We'll see.

    That being said, it's been kind of an amazing experience. Most of my Zelda hours were played on the subway, as was almost all of Mario + Rabbids. Playing Zelda on the train felt like cheating; something this beautiful, this complex and open, on a hand-held. I love it, despite the minor inconveniences.

  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Signed up for a Gamefly trial on Friday with this month's glut of Switch games. Annoyingly they didn't ship anything out until this morning, which was L.A. Noire, so I've got that to look forward to at least.

    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Signed up for a Gamefly trial on Friday with this month's glut of Switch games. Annoyingly they didn't ship anything out until this morning, which was L.A. Noire, so I've got that to look forward to at least.

    Yeah if you didn't know about how Gamefly works (been with them for about 7 years now) but whatever game is #1 on your list will take priority. Meaning it puts you into a queue with other people who also have that at the top of their list and it goes to the person in the list the longest. It also waits 48 hours to see if it comes in. If it doesn't come in then it will try to send out any of the games that you have on your list to ensure you get a game.

  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Gamefly is the absolute devil. I've hated them ever since they bought Direct2Drive and screwed me out of all my digital games on there (they locked my account and wouldn't unlock it unless I provided credit card info from like 4 years prior, despite the fact that I had all my other account info correct including passwords).

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Gamefly is the absolute devil. I've hated them ever since they bought Direct2Drive and screwed me out of all my digital games on there (they locked my account and wouldn't unlock it unless I provided credit card info from like 4 years prior, despite the fact that I had all my other account info correct including passwords).

    Yeah that was a horrible deal on their part. I see what they were trying to do but overall that whole situation fell flat.

  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    .
    Neaden wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked a lot but how would you guys rate the switch as a hand held? I am starting a new job soon and will be commuting by train and looking for things to do on my ride. I do have a TV at home but if I get it my usage would be at least 90% as a mobile device. Is it worth it or should I get a 3ds or a Vita instead?

    I use it probably 80% handheld and it is phenomenal for that. I think I am a bit of an outlier in that I don't use a 'case' per se, I just use the 3DS Zelda bag from My Nintendo then shove it in a pants pocket, but if I were riding on a train I would probably get an actual case. My use situations are never such that I'd have to worry about being jostled and dropping it, etc.

    I will say this though, if we start seeing more games making use of motion controls, that gives me some mild concern as to its effectiveness as a portable for such games. There have already been times where I've shut Odyssey off because there are some situations I just can't manage without waggle, and I wasn't in a situation where I could detach the cons and use them that way (IE nowhere to prop up the Switch with the kickstand).

  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked a lot but how would you guys rate the switch as a hand held? I am starting a new job soon and will be commuting by train and looking for things to do on my ride. I do have a TV at home but if I get it my usage would be at least 90% as a mobile device. Is it worth it or should I get a 3ds or a Vita instead?
    I've been using it almost exclusively as a mobile platform (I'm on the subway for like 2.5 hours a day). I absolutely love it, but it's definitely a bulky thing. You can shove a 3DS in the bag without thinking twice about it - it won't add much weight or bulk to your bag. On the other hand, the Switch is already bigger than a 3DS and it 100% needs a case to protect it; it will definitely take up non-trivial space in your bag, and add a bit of weight.

    Another thing is how much space you will have to yourself on the train. I'm on the NYC subway, which can get pretty crowded. Sometimes I don't bother taking the Switch out of my bag, because holding it in cramped quarters is just physically uncomfortable. Now that we're heading into winter, I'm going to have a fluffy jacket in my lap; I'm not sure I'll be able to juggle the bag, the jacket, and the Switch. We'll see.

    That being said, it's been kind of an amazing experience. Most of my Zelda hours were played on the subway, as was almost all of Mario + Rabbids. Playing Zelda on the train felt like cheating; something this beautiful, this complex and open, on a hand-held. I love it, despite the minor inconveniences.

    What's interesting, piggybacking off of this post and some of our discussion from the last thread about hardware revisions, is the sort of open question about what people would prefer from a Switch revision or even Switch 2 with respect to general size. On the one hand, if you're using the Switch mostly in handheld mode and mostly at home (on the couch, in bed), it probably makes sense that you'd appreciate the nice big screen that the Switch has. Same thing for any in-person split-screen co-op, like Snipperclips or Mario Kart or whatever. But if you mostly use the Switch either in its dock or while traveling/commuting, you might prefer a smaller footprint than the Switch has in its current form.

    Like... if I was taking the train to work every day (which I was doing, a few years ago), I'd probably be fantasizing about a smaller Switch (something like the size of the 3DS or even a GBA, but with modern internals). As it is, I kinda wish the Switch were a little more portable. I'd vote for smaller and thicker over the current long-and-thin design.

    I wouldn't necessarily want a smaller screen for my home use, as I'll often play in bed or on the couch, but... if there's a Switch+ in two sizes, like that mock-up from the last thread with the non-detachable controls, I'd be all over the smaller version.

    GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Signed up for a Gamefly trial on Friday with this month's glut of Switch games. Annoyingly they didn't ship anything out until this morning, which was L.A. Noire, so I've got that to look forward to at least.

    Yeah if you didn't know about how Gamefly works (been with them for about 7 years now) but whatever game is #1 on your list will take priority. Meaning it puts you into a queue with other people who also have that at the top of their list and it goes to the person in the list the longest. It also waits 48 hours to see if it comes in. If it doesn't come in then it will try to send out any of the games that you have on your list to ensure you get a game.

    I made the mistake of populating my list with low availability and unreleased titles. There's a handful of Xbox 360 titles I want to rent in time, but I really wanted to play Doom over Rise of the Tomb Raider so I left it off for now.

    I more or less already have access to all the 3DS games and Wii U games I want unfortunately, so once the November software season dies down I'll probably can my Gamefly subscription for a bit.

    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Ok I think I'm going to pick up the Switch based on all this then. To clarify I'm taking a commuter train not a Subway so it's a smoother ride and I'll always have a seat so the larger size should be fine.
    Thanks for the input everyone.

    Neaden on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Ok I think I'm going to pick up the Switch based on all this then. To clarify I'm taking a commuter train not a Subway so it's a smoother ride and I'll always have a seat so the larger size should be fine.
    Thanks for the input everyone.

    Oh, I missed your original question, sorry. It's 100% worth it as a handheld only. I didn't take my dock out of the box for like six months and I still mostly play it as a handheld. I haven't touched my 3DS or Vita since March. So many good indies, the big Nintendo games, and some original stuff - it's a terrific primary handheld device.

    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked a lot but how would you guys rate the switch as a hand held? I am starting a new job soon and will be commuting by train and looking for things to do on my ride. I do have a TV at home but if I get it my usage would be at least 90% as a mobile device. Is it worth it or should I get a 3ds or a Vita instead?

    If you can, I would read the last few pages of the previous thread where we all talked about it, there was a bunch of great points discussed.

    It's a fantastic handheld but it is large, but I have played it mostly handheld since I got i t and love it.

    psn: dantree
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I've never used the dock.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    As a dock only user I will confirm that it seems like it would make a very good portable system as long as you are OK with the size.

  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Re: gamefly, gamestop is trying to make a competing service, where you can "rent" used games for $60 for 6 months. and you keep the last one you take out. Which sounds like it's cheaper than gamefly, at $10 a month, even before taking the "keep the game" thing into account? Granted, it's a lot more hassle, since you have to actually go in to a physical GS store to get them, but that also means that you can go a bit further to grab relatively recent games. For example, I see used copies of all the games that released on the 27th of last month at stores within 30 miles.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Re: gamefly, gamestop is trying to make a competing service, where you can "rent" used games for $60 for 6 months. and you keep the last one you take out. Which sounds like it's cheaper than gamefly, at $10 a month, even before taking the "keep the game" thing into account? Granted, it's a lot more hassle, since you have to actually go in to a physical GS store to get them, but that also means that you can go a bit further to grab relatively recent games. For example, I see used copies of all the games that released on the 27th of last month at stores within 30 miles.

    One thing to keep in mind is that you can also keep the game from Gamefly at a discounted price. And the games from Gamefly come with everything that was in the original case when you buy it new, including any sort of Multiplayer pass or whatever.

    Unfortunately the Gamestop one sounds like it could be quite a mess and I'm not sure how they'll handle it. At least with Gamefly I have a chance of getting a newer game. Whereas if this service gets really popular then you won't be able to find anything decent to rent (or even buy) at the stores.

  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    holy hell, Mario is a good game.

    just an fyi to everybody.

    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Someone managed to get KBAM controls working for use in gameplay on the Switch:

    https://youtu.be/nb0PLHvsBKQ


    Here's a longer video detailing the steps required:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjjbWJ_VHFs

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Man, any of you people not using your dock wanna just send it my way? I'll do what I can to help you declutter your living space.

  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    The Vita still exists? I haven't heard Sony even mention the name in several years.

    You should never underestimate the tendency of Japanese niche developers to refuse to put their games on systems that people actually own.

  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I've never used the dock.
    As a dock only user I will confirm that it seems like it would make a very good portable system as long as you are OK with the size.

    This is the coolest shit about Switch.

    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Battle Chef Brigade next Monday!

    I am excited, and I'm sure my wife will flip her shit when she finds out.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26KsgTeJNgk

    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I mainly play on the TV. Games like Splatoon I feel don't really play well in handheld mode, and I prefer the grip. But I do play handheld on occasion.

  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Hey 'member that time when I took a pic of that neo geo golf game in vertical mode and it inexplicably got reposted on polygon and a half a dozen other websites? Mutant Mudd's dev 'members:

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Ok so rocket league launched late in Australua. Had a quick play over lunch, feels great and runs super smooth.

    The Mario car and Mario/Luigi hats are unlocked from the start.

    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Hey 'member that time when I took a pic of that neo geo golf game in vertical mode and it inexplicably got reposted on polygon and a half a dozen other websites? Mutant Mudd's dev 'members:


    I so so hope that the pinball fx devs are taking notes

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked a lot but how would you guys rate the switch as a hand held? I am starting a new job soon and will be commuting by train and looking for things to do on my ride. I do have a TV at home but if I get it my usage would be at least 90% as a mobile device. Is it worth it or should I get a 3ds or a Vita instead?
    I've been using it almost exclusively as a mobile platform (I'm on the subway for like 2.5 hours a day). I absolutely love it, but it's definitely a bulky thing. You can shove a 3DS in the bag without thinking twice about it - it won't add much weight or bulk to your bag. On the other hand, the Switch is already bigger than a 3DS and it 100% needs a case to protect it; it will definitely take up non-trivial space in your bag, and add a bit of weight.

    Another thing is how much space you will have to yourself on the train. I'm on the NYC subway, which can get pretty crowded. Sometimes I don't bother taking the Switch out of my bag, because holding it in cramped quarters is just physically uncomfortable. Now that we're heading into winter, I'm going to have a fluffy jacket in my lap; I'm not sure I'll be able to juggle the bag, the jacket, and the Switch. We'll see.

    That being said, it's been kind of an amazing experience. Most of my Zelda hours were played on the subway, as was almost all of Mario + Rabbids. Playing Zelda on the train felt like cheating; something this beautiful, this complex and open, on a hand-held. I love it, despite the minor inconveniences.

    What's interesting, piggybacking off of this post and some of our discussion from the last thread about hardware revisions, is the sort of open question about what people would prefer from a Switch revision or even Switch 2 with respect to general size. On the one hand, if you're using the Switch mostly in handheld mode and mostly at home (on the couch, in bed), it probably makes sense that you'd appreciate the nice big screen that the Switch has. Same thing for any in-person split-screen co-op, like Snipperclips or Mario Kart or whatever. But if you mostly use the Switch either in its dock or while traveling/commuting, you might prefer a smaller footprint than the Switch has in its current form.

    Like... if I was taking the train to work every day (which I was doing, a few years ago), I'd probably be fantasizing about a smaller Switch (something like the size of the 3DS or even a GBA, but with modern internals). As it is, I kinda wish the Switch were a little more portable. I'd vote for smaller and thicker over the current long-and-thin design.

    I wouldn't necessarily want a smaller screen for my home use, as I'll often play in bed or on the couch, but... if there's a Switch+ in two sizes, like that mock-up from the last thread with the non-detachable controls, I'd be all over the smaller version.
    Honestly, I love the big screen. Yeah, it makes it a bit more awkward to carry around, but it's totally worth it. When I look at a 3DS now, I feel like I'm looking at the world through a pinhole.

    In terms of what I want from a portable revision, I think all I really want is a clamshell situation to protect the screen and the thumbsticks without being as bulky as the case I currently use (which is maybe 3-4 times as thick as the system itself). That wouldn't even require a hardware redesign, though; a slim-but-hard case would do it, although that probably presents a bunch of complications (like how do you make a case that doesn't increase the thickness of the console too much BUT is stiff enough that it won't bend AND ALSO can attach to/snap onto the console without wiggling around or scratching anything).

    Oh, also, for all the people who've only used it in handheld mode: I highly, highly encourage you to hook it up to your TV at least once and play Zelda for a little bit. It's absolutely beautiful on the big screen.

  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Hollow Knight delayed to 2018

    http://teamcherry.com.au/holloweenwrap/
    Amongst all our Holloween festivities, this one’s the tough news to deliver. Despite our best efforts we’ve recently made the difficult decision to push HK’s Switch release to early 2018.

    Everyday, we hear the passion for the Switch version, on twitter and in our inboxes, and no-one’s keener to see Hollow Knight out on the Switch than us! We know we’ve been quiet on this front for a while, but we wanted to come to a more concrete decision before making an announcement. We’ve jumped the gun in the past with this stuff!

    We’ve been working hard to get it all polished up and ready (while working on the new content in the meantime), but last week, we took a moment to do a proper assess and decided that we should give it a bit more time. We both (Ari & William) want to ensure this version isn’t just an okay port, but a great one, and our partners at Shark Jump agreed.

    Why is it taking us longer than we thought to get the port fully polished? Honestly, it’s just that as first-time developers we built the game in some strange, unoptimised ways and to get things running smoothly and consistently we need to sweep back through and rewrite or fix bits and pieces. It’s an involved process, but we’ve learnt a lot for the next project and it’s a big relief to get everything cleaned up nicely! The good news is that it’s steadily coming together, and believe us when we say it looks fantastic on the Switch’s screen! That might be a bit of a tease, but hopefully it’s not too much longer before you all get to see it for yourself. Plus, a side-bonus to all this is that all of the optimisations happening for the Switch version will be making their way into versions for other platforms (PC/Mac/Linux).

    With Grimm now out in the world for PC, Mac & Linux, our giant, singular target is Switch, and we’re fully-focused on getting this version all tied up and into your hands.

    A final note: We receive frequent queries about release on other consoles. Though we can’t announce anything official at the moment, we can say we’ve been talking with the other platform holders, and they’ve been fantastic to deal with. They’ve also been really receptive to Hollow Knight. Once the Switch version is in the hands of all those backers who’ve been waiting so patiently for it, we’ll be properly exploring those options. Expect to hear more then!

    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Battle Chef Brigade looks so neat.

  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight delay is for the best because my gaming budget for 2017 is going to be exhausted by Xenoblade: anime tits edition.

    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Hollow Knight delay is for the best because my gaming budget for 2017 is going to be exhausted by Xenoblade: anime tits edition.

    You say that and I think oh yeah dammit I forgot about that game too ughhhh

    I got Skyrim at the end of this week! And whatever else just keeps showing up. New Zelda story content at some point, sure, whatever, keep piling it on.

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Skyrim and doom are Q1 2018 for me. I have no 2017 funbucks left!!

    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Hollow Knight delay is for the best because my gaming budget for 2017 is going to be exhausted by Xenoblade: anime tits edition.

    That’s every Xenoblade.

  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Xenoblade 1 had it as an option early on, before making it mandatory with every damn outfit Sharla gets several hours in. The other two being opt-out still.

    Xenoblade X had it opt-out with armour glamour.

    Xenoblade 2 has it inescapable from hour one.

  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Now that's a can o' worms. :P

    Apparently Rocket League, based on Reddit, takes more of a hit to visuals than expected (mostly in handheld mode), but it seems to play fine and the devs have promised optimisation.

  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    It's pretty rough coming from 144 fps on PC, makes aerials more difficult in particular. But it's not too bad. Apart from that, the worst thing is the loading times. But overall it's not a bad port at all. I might have liked a few graphical options other than weather effects on or off. Like maybe a performance mode for a few extra fps.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Delduwath wrote: »
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked a lot but how would you guys rate the switch as a hand held? I am starting a new job soon and will be commuting by train and looking for things to do on my ride. I do have a TV at home but if I get it my usage would be at least 90% as a mobile device. Is it worth it or should I get a 3ds or a Vita instead?
    I've been using it almost exclusively as a mobile platform (I'm on the subway for like 2.5 hours a day). I absolutely love it, but it's definitely a bulky thing. You can shove a 3DS in the bag without thinking twice about it - it won't add much weight or bulk to your bag. On the other hand, the Switch is already bigger than a 3DS and it 100% needs a case to protect it; it will definitely take up non-trivial space in your bag, and add a bit of weight.

    Another thing is how much space you will have to yourself on the train. I'm on the NYC subway, which can get pretty crowded. Sometimes I don't bother taking the Switch out of my bag, because holding it in cramped quarters is just physically uncomfortable. Now that we're heading into winter, I'm going to have a fluffy jacket in my lap; I'm not sure I'll be able to juggle the bag, the jacket, and the Switch. We'll see.

    That being said, it's been kind of an amazing experience. Most of my Zelda hours were played on the subway, as was almost all of Mario + Rabbids. Playing Zelda on the train felt like cheating; something this beautiful, this complex and open, on a hand-held. I love it, despite the minor inconveniences.

    What's interesting, piggybacking off of this post and some of our discussion from the last thread about hardware revisions, is the sort of open question about what people would prefer from a Switch revision or even Switch 2 with respect to general size. On the one hand, if you're using the Switch mostly in handheld mode and mostly at home (on the couch, in bed), it probably makes sense that you'd appreciate the nice big screen that the Switch has. Same thing for any in-person split-screen co-op, like Snipperclips or Mario Kart or whatever. But if you mostly use the Switch either in its dock or while traveling/commuting, you might prefer a smaller footprint than the Switch has in its current form.

    Like... if I was taking the train to work every day (which I was doing, a few years ago), I'd probably be fantasizing about a smaller Switch (something like the size of the 3DS or even a GBA, but with modern internals). As it is, I kinda wish the Switch were a little more portable. I'd vote for smaller and thicker over the current long-and-thin design.

    I wouldn't necessarily want a smaller screen for my home use, as I'll often play in bed or on the couch, but... if there's a Switch+ in two sizes, like that mock-up from the last thread with the non-detachable controls, I'd be all over the smaller version.
    Honestly, I love the big screen. Yeah, it makes it a bit more awkward to carry around, but it's totally worth it. When I look at a 3DS now, I feel like I'm looking at the world through a pinhole.

    In terms of what I want from a portable revision, I think all I really want is a clamshell situation to protect the screen without being as bulky as the case I currently use (which is maybe 3-4 times as thick as the system itself). That wouldn't even require a hardware redesign, though; a slim-but-hard case would do it, although that probably presents a bunch of complications (like how do you make a case that doesn't increase the thickness of the console too much BUT is stiff enough that it won't bend AND ALSO can attach to/snap onto the console without wiggling around or scratching anything).

    Oh, also, for all the people who've only used it in handheld mode: I highly, highly encourage you to hook it up to your TV at least once and play Zelda for a little bit. It's absolutely beautiful on the big screen.

    Hybrid cover

    Hybrid cover hybrid cover hybrid cover.

    and the thumbsticks

    and a quick pouch.


    edit:


    Taramoor wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »
    Hollow Knight delay is for the best because my gaming budget for 2017 is going to be exhausted by Xenoblade: anime tits edition.

    That’s every Xenoblade.

    Everyone keeps complaining about XC2 being all anime-y but iirc XC1 was super god damn anime-y as well.

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Now that Hulu's on the Switch it's become apparent just how ideal this system is for watching video. It's multiple different viewing configurations makes it the most robust device in my arsenal for streaming movies and TV. The size of the screen is perfect for mobile viewing. The picture quality is great and the sound is loud and clear coming from the internal speakers. Once Netflix comes out this thing is going to be the perfect multimedia device.


    edit: Saturday I watched Arrival, Sunday I watched Godzilla Final Wars (rediculous movie), and yesterday I watched Spectre. Any suggestions for tonights viewing? I was thinking of starting up Iron-Blood Orphans and/or some Cowboy Bebop episodes for old times sake but I'm open to ideas.

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Late input, but the Switch has been a bit of a miss as a commuter handheld for me. It's splendid for more stable, longer travel like airplanes or long train rides, but it's too large and fiddly to have with me on the subway so far. You'll take up extra wingspan holding it and playing it, and it's a challenge to get it in and out of the protective case when carrying a briefcase, unlike the 3ds which could just fit in a pocket.

    What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.