As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I also assume which House you choose will determine which character (besides your own) will be your primary Viewpoint Character, so to speak.

Like how in Sacred Stones you got to pick between Eirika and Ephraim for a route split, but once the routes merged again the one you picked kept having slightly more prominence than the one you didn't.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I also assume which House you choose will determine which character (besides your own) will be your primary Viewpoint Character, so to speak.

Like how in Sacred Stones you got to pick between Eirika and Ephraim for a route split, but once the routes merged again the one you picked kept having slightly more prominence than the one you didn't.

Yeah exactly, that's kind of the feeling I'm getting from this - maybe even closer to like a Blazing Blade Eliwood vs. Hector route thing...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Doesn't matter if you go Eagle, Lion, or Deer... in the end it's everyone versus Dragon.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    The number of units per class seems pretty small. So I'm still banking on you eventually uniting all the houses. Main difference will be like the order.

Yeah, each house seems to have seven students that we've seen so far plus their house leader. Even if you will be able to recruit some of the teachers and a couple other random units here and there, ~15 units total would be way too low.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I steamrolled the first optional chapter since I actually had enough units and space to breathe.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    A few later chapters of Conquest I played upwards of 20 times on hard. I was trying with no deaths, though (which I managed, but sheesh).

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The optional objective in ch8 seems impossible.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Quick Echoes question: does every unit type (other than Villager) get only one option for class change? Do you get more options at higher levels? I know you should change as soon as you can, but I don't want to get locked out of any classes if I do.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Quick Echoes question: does every unit type (other than Villager) get only one option for class change? Do you get more options at higher levels? I know you should change as soon as you can, but I don't want to get locked out of any classes if I do.

Serenes Forest says no. Many of the class changes can lead to another possible class change, though.

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/classes/class-change/

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Each class beyond Villager is a direct line.

Might also be handy to know: not all classes have the same number of promotions.
    • Alm and Celica promote once.
    • Mercenaries, Soldiers, Archers and Cavaliers promote twice.
    • Mages, Pegasus Knights, and Clerics promote once.

There are also DLC "over-classes" for every class line (but they're a little expensive) and the original Gaiden had a bug where Dread Fighters could promote back to Villager, which SoV decided to keep.

• Options
    Chapter 10 finally broke me, I had a casualty near the end and pushed through to finish it. I have a separate save, though.

It's insane how fast this game escalates, it doesn't even let you breathe.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Chapter 10 finally broke me, I had a casualty near the end and pushed through to finish it. I have a separate save, though.

I tried to finish conquest on hard mode. The last mission broke me. I turned it down to Phoenix Easy and said fuck you to the game like 10 times.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

I tried to finish conquest on hard mode. The last mission broke me. I turned it down to Phoenix Easy and said fuck you to the game like 10 times.

Awakening's last mission broke me on normal/classic. I had like three casualties, including the healer girl. I felt pretty sour about that.

Still finished it though.

If I'm having this much trouble now, maybe I should dial the difficulty back and save myself the agony later on.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnWwTlK_EYA

Man this choice is going to kill me.

I like him WAY more than the other two. And I like the idea of his house WAY more.

But I do not like a single one of the other members of his house they've shown. But I like a bunch of characters from the Eagles house.

Uggghhhh.

• Options
    I'm in the same boat. Claude is hands down the best lord, but his classmates are the most middle of the road (Lysithea, Leonie, Raphael, Marianne) or low-end (Hilda, Laurence, Ignace).

Meanwhile Dimitri is the least appealing lord, but his house has some of my favourite designs (Sylvain, Unnamed Girl, Felix, Dudu) supported solidly (Ashe, Mercedes, Annette).

Adler Klasse might be where I end up. Edelgard is more than acceptable, and while her group runs from great (Petra) to poor (Hubert) it's mostly good (Bernadetta, Linhardt, Caspar, Ferdinand, Dorothea).

//

The Japanese FE twitter has continued posting new bios for the last week. (Translated text off of twitter.)
    7wxa8lpvncyv.jpg

Rhea
    "The ruling archbishop of the Church of Seiros, since Jeralt was in the Knights of Seiros. She values the protagonist's abilities highly and invites them to the military academy. She connects with people like a calm, affectionate mother, but will hand down strict judgement on those who oppose the Church."

Hubert
    "The tactician of the Black Eagles. The eldest son of the house of Marquis Vestra, he has served Edelgard from a young age. He will do whatever it takes to eliminate obstacles for her. According to Edelgard, he is a calculating but honourable individual."

Dudu*
    "A peasant from Daska (a place northwest of the capital) and a servant of Dimitri. Owes a great debt to Dimitri, and has resolved to protect him with his own life. His stern face and stoic demeanour makes him often misunderstood, but he is a calm and gentle young man."

*Apparently Dudu is a Portuguese nickname for Eduardo. Considering the English connotations, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being translated as that instead.

• Options
    That dude just screams unexpected but inevitable betrayal.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

Yeah "According to Edelgard, he is a calculating but honourable individual" is a little qualified for a descriptor. Dudu is "a calm and gentle young man" without having to say "According to Claude".

• Options

I know.

I'd really like it if he was just some real shady guy who is nevertheless actually loyal to a good person. Because I happen to like those kinds of characters.

• Options

I know.

I'd really like it if he was just some real shady guy who is nevertheless actually loyal to a good person. Because I happen to like those kinds of characters.

A mustachioed villain that is actually loyal to the MC; their constant evil just so happens to align with the goals of the MC and crew.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options

I know.

A mustachioed villain that is actually loyal to the MC; their constant evil just so happens to align with the goals of the MC and crew.

"We need to take the enemy fort."

"We could poison their water supply."

"No."

"Alright, alright, we could block all the entrances and set the place on fire."

"We're not doing that either."

"OK, so, we block some of the entrances and then set the place on fire, forcing them to flee into our ambush, where we might be able to convince them to surrender peacefully."

"Yes. Let's go with that one."

• Options
    Thank god I went back to normal. Yeeeeesh, this chapter 12 mission.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    How did you find Chapter 10? It became one of my favourites on about the fourth time I restarted it...

(The second time I played Conquest it seemed much easier, probably due to actually putting Camilla to work.)

• Options
    How did you find Chapter 10? It became one of my favourites on about the fourth time I restarted it...

(The second time I played Conquest it seemed much easier, probably due to actually putting Camilla to work.)

It can bark its wares in hell. That's the one that made me go back to normal.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Official Japanese website for Three Houses now exists. Not too much new stuff.

Japanese FE Twitter gave information today on Lorentz/Laurence, so they've established a pattern of posting about characters on Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

"So you're the rumoured mercenary. You saved Claude's life, or something... You didn't need to butt in. I am Laurence Helman Gloucester. Remember that."

The eldest son of the house of Gloucester. His snobby demeanour belies his serious nature, as he fully understands his responsibility as nobility.
    It seems he has been approaching girls at the monastery, to little success.

"They're not quite responding to my advances... It seems they're avoiding me."

[Translations from twitter users.]

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I have a three game rule before I get a new platform, FE3H makes two.
    (The first is No More Heroes TSA.)

Maybe I'll think of a third by then.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I have a three game rule before I get a new platform, FE3H makes two.
    (The first is No More Heroes TSA.)

Maybe I'll think of a third by then.

For the Nintendo Wii U, I set a 5 game rule for myself. And basically, I didn't buy myself a Wii U until like 6 months before the end of its life cycle. But it took that long for that system to get enough games for me to justify buying it. Mid-Edit: And you know what the final game was that put me over the top? The Earthbound 1 (Mother 1) virtual console release. Yep. Earthbound is a system seller for me.

Other consoles I don't generally make such a rule. I got a Switch on day 1, I got a PS4 on day one, and so forth.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I do something similar. I bought my Switch after Valkyria Chronicles 4 came out, with Mario Kart and the knowledge that Smash Bros. was coming a few months later. And that there'd be new Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime, and Yoshi games within the year. (Katamari Reroll, Captain Toad, and XC2: Torna seemed like solid smaller pickups if I needed a game.)

I ended up not getting Pokemon Go or Yoshi's Crafted World, Three Houses got pushed back a quarter, and MP4 is probably years away. On the other hand, I got Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle during one of Ubisoft's 60% off sales, and that's a fantastic game. It's not a system seller, but if you do get a Switch be sure to pick it up when it's on sale.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Official Japanese website for Three Houses now exists. Not too much new stuff.

Japanese FE Twitter gave information today on Lorentz/Laurence, so they've established a pattern of posting about characters on Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

"So you're the rumoured mercenary. You saved Claude's life, or something... You didn't need to butt in. I am Laurence Helman Gloucester. Remember that."

This guy looks a bit suspicious. And he's a Gloucester? Yeah, I don't trust him.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm going Claude all the way cause I think his kingdom sounds the coolest and something tells me Edelgard and the other guy will be picked more.

And yeah I'm getting a Switch pretty much just for this game. That said there are some other titles I want to try like Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Also something tells me Church Lady Commander is totally gonna end up being an insane zealot that you fight later.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea Claude's kingdom and Claude are way cooler than the other two imo.

I just wish I didn't hate the design of every other character they've shown from his group so far.

Hrmmm.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Translations from twitter:

Manuela

"Oh my, you've come, professor. This is the doctor's office. If you get hurt or sick, come here immediately... Want some tea?"

A former songstress who stood at the pinnacle of the capital's Mittlefrank Opera Company. Now, she is a teacher and doctor at the Officer's Academy.
    She has often been seen at school lamenting that she has yet to meet the man of her dreams.
    She has a crude side to her, but she is good at taking care of others, and is friendly to the new teacher, the protagonist.

"Phew... Did I keep you waiting? I'm sorry, professor."

//

Wait wait wait. One of the two main teachers that we've seen (other than the young adult mercenary you play as) is a nurse/opera singer/wizard? Isn't this is a religious military academy? I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, but: could Manuela be our Singer/Dancer unit combined with a Cleric? (Or maybe the spell Anew will come back from Shadows of Valentia, and all healers will be able to use it?)

It also seems like the Church of Seiros has a pretty lax dress code for the faculty. Maybe fByleth's fashion choices aren't as crazy as first appeared...

//

The English site is also now existent, though with much less information than the Japanese site. One thing to note is that the game has been rated T for "blood, suggestive themes, violence". (This is more-or-less the same as Awakening's T for "alcohol reference, fantasy violence, mild blood, mild suggestive themes," Fates' T for "animated blood, suggestive themes, fantasy violence," and SoV's T for "alcohol reference, fantasy violence, mild blood, mild language, suggestive themes".) The Japanese CERO rating is a B, which is in line with Awakening and SoV (whereas Fates was a C).

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Translations from twitter:

Manuela

"Oh my, you've come, professor. This is the doctor's office. If you get hurt or sick, come here immediately... Want some tea?"

A former songstress who stood at the pinnacle of the capital's Mittlefrank Opera Company. Now, she is a teacher and doctor at the Officer's Academy.
    She has often been seen at school lamenting that she has yet to meet the man of her dreams.
    She has a crude side to her, but she is good at taking care of others, and is friendly to the new teacher, the protagonist.

"Phew... Did I keep you waiting? I'm sorry, professor."

//

Wait wait wait. One of the two main teachers that we've seen (other than the young adult mercenary you play as) is a nurse/opera singer/wizard? Isn't this is a religious military academy? I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, but: could Manuela be our Singer/Dancer unit combined with a Cleric? (Or maybe the spell Anew will come back from Shadows of Valentia, and all healers will be able to use it?)

This is my guess. Otherwise why even mention it? It's a weird character detail to give if they aren't a singer. Maybe she'll work a little like Ninian where she'll have some buff/healing type songs too? Guess a guess based on her description

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Boy the Nohr campaign is just wasted opportunities piling up one after the other, and the king is the worst kind of stereotypical villain.

They didn't even try to give him some nuance. He does everything shy of flay a puppy, and for all I know that's yet to happen.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Boy the Nohr campaign is just wasted opportunities piling up one after the other, and the king is the worst kind of stereotypical villain.

They didn't even try to give him some nuance. He does everything shy of flay a puppy, and for all I know that's yet to happen.

Yeah pretty much.

• Options
    Right before Fates released, Shin Kibayashi (the outside writer that they had brought on due to the criticism of Awakening's story) tweeted this (translated):

Fire Emblem Fates is now ranked number one best-seller on Amazon[co.jp]. However, there may be a slight misunderstanding. Though I wrote about 500 pages between all three versions, it was just a draft. Since the final scenario was [the result of being] passed through various staff members, I just want to let it be known that they too [had a role in this].

At the time I remember everyone getting a little worried, because it seemed like a not-too-subtle way of saying, "hey, don't blame me for this shit." The stories in all three paths of Fates feel bad not only for their boneheaded plotting, but because there's a ton of possibility for an interesting story left begging to be realised.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    While FE became one of my favorite game series the moment I played it in 2003, I have passed on a finishing some of the games. The Shadow Dragon remake was terrible and I only got maybe 2/3rds of the way through FE: Fates (Noir). I was really excited to finish all three stories too, which made it a real bummer that the game was so uninspiring.

Thankfully, Echoes was the shit. It felt like old-school FE goodness, with modern tweaks to make things smoother. It did suffer from boring map designs and some grinding, but it was definitely miles above Fates.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Awakening didn't have a bad plot. Nothing amazing, but sure better than Fates. For me, top shelf is Path of Radiance.

I also like the cast in Fates, some of these cats are crazy. I just wish they were in a better plot.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Awakening didn't have a bad plot. Nothing amazing, but sure better than Fates. For me, top shelf is Path of Radiance.

I also like the cast in Fates, some of these cats are crazy. I just wish they were in a better plot.

Yeah Awakening's plot was what sold me on the game and Fire Emblem in general.

And I mean, I am sure IS fucked with this guy's plot too but at the same time, some things are just so bad I have to assume they were written that way from the start. Like, in no way is Garon a good character. Even as purely a villain in 2/3 games.

Or Lilith - even knowing her connection to Corrin from the DLC (which is soooooooo stupid btw
    Mwhahahahhaa I am super evil!!! I will kill you!! Oh wait, I am Corrin's sister?
    I guess I'm not evil anymore!
    ), she is the most useless dumb character.

Or literally anything involving Corrin the Mary Sue moron with no personality, ability to think for herself, or do smart things, but yet everyone loves her.

Honestly it's a shame because the characters are super well designed and the world could have been really interesting if they weren't written so poorly. I do like the characters from Fates in a vacuum divorced from the plot of Fates.

Warlock82 on
This discussion has been closed.