Options

[Steam]: The Backlog does matter? Backlog Challenge spreadsheet linked top of OP.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    SteevL wrote: »
    Just beat Rise of the Tomb Raider. Pretty good, although I think I preferred the previous game.

I remember reading that the game didn't make its sales expectations. I hope they still plan on making another game in this series.

Although, of course, Squeenix's sales expectations are "COD+GTA*n", wherein n is... very large number.

I liked the first one better too, but they are both awesome, and I hope they continue as well.

Edit: Just read cooljammer's post. Awesome :)

Does this mean we'll get Deus Ex back too?

Jazz on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Just beat Rise of the Tomb Raider. Pretty good, although I think I preferred the previous game.

I remember reading that the game didn't make its sales expectations. I hope they still plan on making another game in this series.

I actually just saw a tweet today in which apparently Square execs realize their sales expectations were insane and now they're quite happy with how that franchise has sold.

I swear that occasionally, someone spikes the water at Squeenix with something that brings them to their senses, and otherwise I picture them running around the offices with pants or skirts on their heads, wielding plungers and yardsticks as weapons, and every so often murmuring about "sales numbers".

That something is one of their long development time, money hole first party projects ships and starts making money instead of costing it and suddenly they don't do that weird thing where they calculate sales expectations with each successive title in the year has to pull in enough money to offset all the money they're spending elsewhere.

Given that a new Dragon Quest title released during the summer and FF15 released late 2016, they're financials may be much better than they've been in for a long time.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    .... @Pixelated Pixie knows how much I love my... research and has sent me Mirror to try out the match 3. I will be sure to report back and keep you all informed. <3 Thanks so much Pixie.

It's a pretty average boobie match game so far, neat system with the unlockables. I'll let you know if it gets any better.

...it was $2, don't judge me.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    .... @Pixelated Pixie knows how much I love my... research and has sent me Mirror to try out the match 3. I will be sure to report back and keep you all informed. <3 Thanks so much Pixie.

It's a pretty average boobie match game so far, neat system with the unlockables. I'll let you know if it gets any better.

I'm sure this wasn't your intent, but now I'm visualizing a match 3 game where the tokens are different colors, sizes, etc of boob.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    I don't even have children and I haven't beaten many games in 2017.

Other than the backlog challenge, same. Crazy what a hectic school year can do to a person.

Anyway, we're still doing steam awards?

• The “The World Is Grim Enough Let's Just All Get Along” Award : Undertale
      It's cliché, I know. But clichés exists because they work, in a sense.
    • The “Choices Matter” Award : OneShot
      I think Berylline said it better than I could about this one.
    • The “Haunts My Dreams” Award : The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd
      Specifically, one particular side story late into the game. But Jesus, that story.
    • The “Mom’s Spaghetti” Award : SpaceChem
      No feeling comes close to completing that one level you've spent hours stuck on.
    • The “No Apologies” Award : Rabi-Ribi
      Yes, aesthetic wise it looks like a Pixie game. Yes, content wise it is too. And yes, gameplay wise this is one of the best metroidvania you can get, other than probably Hollow Knight.
    • The “Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War” Award : DOOM II
      The original's sequel, the ocean of mods, the one with the best shotgun.
    • The “Suspension of Disbelief” Award : Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
      Ancient Mayans secrets! Huge deforestation machines! EXPLOSIONS! FREEDOM! MARLOW BRIGGS!!!!! (All excuses for what is God of War on a budget)
    • The “Soul Of Vitruvius” Award : Touhou 16 ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons
      Because ice fairy with a tan! You can't tell me we've peaked when it comes to character design!
    • The “Defies Description” Award : The Void
      An Ice-Pick Lodge game.
    • The “Labor of Love” Award : Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten (DX edition)
      Oh shit, I didn't realise the DX update was released!
    • The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0” Award : Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
      I'm not sure how they translated the twist of 999 in this version, but even then, if you want to get your mind blown get this compilation (along with Zero Time Dilemma).
    • The “Even Better Than I Expected” Award : Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
      This game made me cry a bit. And coming from me, that's the highest praise.
    • The “Durante Memorial Award for Outstanding PC Port” Award : The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
      First edition of this write-in award goes to the man himself. Trust me, this totally isn't an excuse to get another Falcom game on the list.

• Options
    I know who Durante is, but I'm hoping the Memorial is just a joke for the award name...

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I know who Durante is, but I'm hoping the Memorial is just a joke for the award name...

Yeah, that word is rather maladroit when seen that way. He should still be remembered fondly for all he's done.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    edit: woops

Zxerol on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    .... "Pixelated Pixie" knows how much I love my... research and has sent me Mirror to try out the match 3. I will be sure to report back and keep you all informed. <3 Thanks so much Pixie.

After an hour I refunded it. Super shallow 'Swapples' gameplay. Made it through two girls 'stories' and yeah, the reward is what you'd expect. Not really sure why this one in particular is rated so highly? Hunnie Pop is better than this, lol.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Nice bundle at Fanatical, specially for those interested in The Sexy Brutale:

1€:
    From the Depths (Steam)
    Damned (Steam)
    Marooners (Steam)

5.09€:
    140 (Steam)
    Valley (Steam)
    STASIS (Steam)
    Bohemian Killing (Steam)
    Lethe - Episode One (Steam)
    Project Remedium (Steam)
    The Uncertain: Episode 1 - The Last Quiet Day (Steam)
    Steamburg (Steam)
    Guardians of Ember - Fanatical Edition (Steam)

10.09€:
    Dex (Steam)
    The Sexy Brutale (Steam)

That is a pretty good deal but there is only two games I'm interested in and one is Sexy Brutale. If I hadn't already bought Dex I'd jump right on it.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    For those of you who happen to own Rome 2 - Total War.

You can pick up a free DLC here.

https://dashboard.totalwar.com/home

Pick one of 3 DLC. Wrath of Sparta, Nomadic Tribes or Black Sea Colonies.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »

Oh man, decision paralysis. No idea which one I want :D

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Actually, I saw another thing recently where Square was like "We never said we were done with Deus Ex", but they could just be hedging their bets.

They also had that interview recently where they explained that they couldn't financially support Hitman anymore, but they loved the game and knew Hitman without IO wasn't Hitman and that's why they were willing to let IO buy themselves out and take Hitman and Freedom Fighters with them.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Nice bundle at Fanatical, specially for those interested in The Sexy Brutale:

1€:
    From the Depths (Steam)
    Damned (Steam)
    Marooners (Steam)

5.09€:
    140 (Steam)
    Valley (Steam)
    STASIS (Steam)
    Bohemian Killing (Steam)
    Lethe - Episode One (Steam)
    Project Remedium (Steam)
    The Uncertain: Episode 1 - The Last Quiet Day (Steam)
    Steamburg (Steam)
    Guardians of Ember - Fanatical Edition (Steam)

10.09€:
    Dex (Steam)
    The Sexy Brutale (Steam)

That is a pretty good deal but there is only two games I'm interested in and one is Sexy Brutale. If I hadn't already bought Dex I'd jump right on it.

Dex is good stuff.

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    I too already owned Dex. Whatever will I do with this extra key?
    signature.png

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I want to thank @RoyceSraphim as out of the blue he gifted me Skyborn. I've had that on my wishlist for a long time. Thanks for being awesome! :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed Liberation beat! Just Unity to go before I can delve into Origin!

Wait... There are Assasins Creed games besides II/brotherhood/rev and Black flag/freedom cry/rogue?

Who knew?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Actually, I saw another thing recently where Square was like "We never said we were done with Deus Ex", but they could just be hedging their bets.

They also had that interview recently where they explained that they couldn't financially support Hitman anymore, but they loved the game and knew Hitman without IO wasn't Hitman and that's why they were willing to let IO buy themselves out and take Hitman and Freedom Fighters with them.

I do recall that - mostly the IO thing, but the Deus Ex thing did sound like hedging their bets. They wouldn't say "there will be no more ever", companies never do.

Still, they have shown they have the capacity to not be assholes, and in fact actually be very reasonable and even magnanimous. So I hold out more hope for Deus Ex than I do for EA doing anything with Mass Effect at this point.

Jazz on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    It's getting towards the end of the year now and I've had pretty good one for finishing games (with the lionshare coming from Backlog Battles, for sure). Currently the tally stands at 33 freaking games completed and 4 abandoned, which I just can't get my head around. I'm spending a lot of my time focusing on the grind of a couple of games (Paint It Back, Card Quest, Long War 2) but maybe i should change gears for a bit. Maybe I should go for the big FIVE-OH 50 games finished in 2017.

17 games finished in a month with no holidays booked, which means 3.4 games per weekend... Fuck it, let's give it a good bloody crack. Sorry shattered sleeping schedule, things are going to get worse

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Assassin's Creed Liberation beat! Just Unity to go before I can delve into Origin!

Wait... There are Assasins Creed games besides II/brotherhood/rev and Black flag/freedom cry/rogue?

Who knew?

I always forget about Liberation despite my owning it. I've still never played it/ I know it's set around the same time period of AC3 and that it's a PSP port.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »

They're also offering 66% off the base game for those who don't own it, but it's currently 76% off at Gamebillet.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »
    It's getting towards the end of the year now and I've had pretty good one for finishing games (with the lionshare coming from Backlog Battles, for sure). Currently the tally stands at 33 freaking games completed and 4 abandoned, which I just can't get my head around. I'm spending a lot of my time focusing on the grind of a couple of games (Paint It Back, Card Quest, Long War 2) but maybe i should change gears for a bit. Maybe I should go for the big FIVE-OH 50 games finished in 2017.

17 games finished in a month with no holidays booked, which means 3.4 games per weekend... Fuck it, let's give it a good bloody crack. Sorry shattered sleeping schedule, things are going to get worse

I've beaten or retired at least 49 games this year thus far. I feel like I forgot a few I retired, but I'm not complaining. Either way, it's a lot of work through the ol' backlog.

About 586 games in the library, with about 344 left to play. Not bad, though I did get 32 games thus far this year. I doubt I'll beat 44 games in one month, considering time constraints and having a kid and such, but still, I've done pretty well considering having a kiddo growing to one year old over the year, and just a scant few weeks ago moving into a house.

Mainly I'm trying to check out all the games I don't want, and I think I've just thought of the December theme part two (as part one is obviously "Christmas/winter themed games").

• Options

Who knew?

I always forget about Liberation despite my owning it. I've still never played it/ I know it's set around the same time period of AC3 and that it's a PSP port.

Liberation has some fun mechanics and a beautiful city marred by the limits of it's origin platform of a handheld. It's the one AC game I've ever been disappointed with, as if it had been on a full console it would have gotten so much better a treatment (I assume).

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Guys... Vanquish is so fucking good. Like really fucking good. If you're on the edge, just buy it. $10 well spent!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Guys... Vanquish is so fucking good. Like really fucking good. If you're on the edge, just buy it. $10 well spent!

Nuh uh, not going to believe your honeyed words.

I already was burned on Bayonetta.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Who knew?

I kid, but yeah I totally forgot liberation was a thing, and have never played much of 3 at all despite owning it for years... missed out on unity and syndicate too. I hear unity turned out to be good eventually?

I just bought the Farcry games I didnt have yet... will try 4 and blood dragon but so far I still like primal best...

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Tacoma is a great game.

I keep hearing this, but also find myself unable to get past the mental association with Seattle's "aromatic" southern neighbor. And also a pickup truck.

But those are personal problems.

• Options

Who knew?

I kid, but yeah I totally forgot liberation was a thing, and have never played much of 3 at all despite owning it for years... missed out on unity and syndicate too. I hear unity turned out to be good eventually?

I just bought the Farcry games I didnt have yet... will try 4 and blood dragon but so far I still like primal best...

People in this very thread have said that Unity still isn't a good game, unfortunately. And I still aim to find out for myself, for good or ill. But I won't be buying it for a while.

I've never played the Far Cry series beyond Blood Dragon. Eventually I want to play Far Cry 4, but it can wait. Especially after playing AC: Rogue. I'm pretty well Ubisoft Open World Game fatigued.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Who knew?

People in this very thread have said that Unity still isn't a good game, unfortunately. And I still aim to find out for myself, for good or ill. But I won't be buying it for a while.

I've never played the Far Cry series beyond Blood Dragon. Eventually I want to play Far Cry 4, but it can wait. Especially after playing AC: Rogue. I'm pretty well Ubisoft Open World Game fatigued.

I enjoyed Far Cry 4 but didn't even bother taking all the outposts. They'd started to run together in my mind, I didn't get any meaningful reward from taking them anymore, and interacting with the main villain was more interesting for me.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Alas, my attempts to lay low for this sale were foiled, and @Heatwave sought me out in a thoroughly unprovoked display of generosity:

yeQDS2W.jpg

This completes the hat trick of Supergiant games that I own but have not tried, because I am a crazy person and easily distracted. Regardless, I've heard this one get praise even by the five people that didn't care for Bastion or Transistor, which piques my interest more than a little. Anyway, thanks a bunch for Pyre! Weird fantasy football, here I come :+1:

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Hey I got a mystery key from @Arithon32 which turned out to be Undertale! Thanks! It really made my day and I'm excited to finally try this one out.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    WoGFKcJ.png

IMY5aNz.png

Shenanigans! I wasn't even really in chat. I was playing Elex. So much Elex... All the Elex ever (plz send help)...

Thanks to @Big Classy and @ReverseCreations for Technomancer and Alicia Quartermain! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    If you were a subscriber to Humble Monthly back in March of this year, check your Humble keys. Uurnog Unlimited was part of the bundle as one of their non-Steam games, but it now has a Steam key! I periodically check my old monthly bundle purchases for this sort of thing, and hey look at that, bonus game for me!

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    WoGFKcJ.png

IMY5aNz.png

Shenanigans! I wasn't even really in chat. I was playing Elex. So much Elex... All the Elex ever (plz send help)...

Thanks to @Big Classy and @ReverseCreations for Technomancer and Alicia Quartermain! <3<3<3

i-am-innocent-very-innocent-d.jpg

• Options
    One thing I forgot to mention about Rise of the Tomb Raider: as I was playing, I'd occasionally come across backpacks that didn't appear to be a part of the game's set collectibles (including the backpacks you find that show you other item locations on the map). When I'd pick one up, it would give me a name, which I later realized was the name of someone on my Steam friends list. Do these appear where someone in my friends list might have died in-game recently or something? I didn't make the connection until I was near the end of my playthrough.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    WoGFKcJ.png

IMY5aNz.png

i-am-innocent-very-innocent-d.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXbXFJxltyo

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Is that technomancer game by the same people who did mars war logs?

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

My problem with Vanquish is that the moment I stoop playing for two days I get absolutely murderfucked on trying to continue. If you lose the beat for an instant that game will destroy you.

Other Platinum games feel a lot more pick-up-able.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Is that technomancer game by the same people who did mars war logs?

Yes, and I think it's set in the same universe.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
This discussion has been closed.