As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] dot jpg

syndalissyndalis Getting ClassyOn the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
3dd3j72eko83.jpeg

h32unyielnju.jpeg

0shte16mdiqb.jpeg

SW-4158-3990-6116
Let's play Mario Kart or something...

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I enjoy Final Fantasy Bro-Teen and that says that I'm a Bro and Bro-ing is the highest order of thought.

I stopped a giant Titan's fist with my sword and then I parried the blow. My friends warped in and said they'd never abandon me.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Oh god bit coins are supposedly worth 10k, which is bullshit made up money and suckers are already fooled.

A couple of friends started talking up bitcoins to me in the bar after Saturday after the football game. I just... I managed to keep it to "hey, yeah, cool, all I'm saying is maybe don't trust this as some wise investment and get a second opinion" and even that got me a lot phsaws and 'you just don't understand's.

People >:

I read a comment field full of "I could have bought in at *blank* amount and be a millionare!" Totally not understanding that bit coin like baseball cards is only worth what you can actually get out of it, and that 10k amount is made up fucking pixie dust.

it's er

like any other market value, made up of the amount people are paying for it

well, we do have the problem that it's all unregulated

So I mean ultimately there's probably dudes out there buying and selling 0.0001 bitcoins for $10

but (i suspect) one of the driving reasons 1 bitcoin is $10k is that the exchanges who hold the majority of the coins are trading with themselves (if not outright falsifying data) to make the commodity look more liquid and more in-demand than it actually is

don't underestimate the stupidity of the market

there doesn't need to be any fradulent activity to make a bubble with fuck-all. I'm pretty sure bitcoin's value can be easily explained solely with the amount of people who used to buy gold before they heard of it, tech nerds who thinks they're generically smart, and morons in general

oh yeah

I mean without them you wouldn't bubble up

they're there buying up with the plan to sell "someday"

but the liquidity numbers are the one thing I'm pretty confidant are faked, especially when you start looking at altcoins

like, for instance, when I was looking up DOGECOIN, the joke currency worth $0.002 (yes two-tenths of a cent), and it had something silly like $5MM+ in daily trades

nobody is using this currency

bitcoins, on the other hand, is at ~300k daily transactions

that's not an unreasonable number

anyway since I did not buy into it, opting instead for saying how shitty an idea it was, I will just lean back, confident in my chances of eventually getting the satisfaction of seeing it all crumble

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    @Abdhyius

I was agreeing with Zamp

I thought that was obvious from context

Enjoying transgressive lit does not make you [blank]

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    and to be perfectly honest about character flaws, that satisfaction will probably be so great that I'll have to be personally introduced to the children who are dying because their dad pawned their organs to pay for bitcoin, to reduce my enjoyment when the day comes

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    m36tzxafmehw.png

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm much more mad about the Iron Banner thing

I hate it when a game doesn't respect my time, especially for no apparent reason.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd be interested to know what percentage of bitcoin is actually being used for buying things versus what's being traded because of currency speculation.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I am very dissapointed "A Jeff Bridges too far" and "The Jeff Bridges of Madison County" both fail to come up with photoshops.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    John Wick was the embodiment of "leave a man with nothing and he has nothing left to lose."

dude was a jillionaire with a huge house

he could have solved his whole murder-spree by calling up the Russian mob and telling them what happened, and accepted their surely-generous tribute

OR

he could kill 77 people

Money means little next to the agony of grief.

"I'm sorry, I'm super bereaved right now and your kid made a dumb mistake so I'm going to kill him and everyone that works with him and then I'm killing you, my former boss, because I have a dead wife (that you're not at all responsible for) and dead dog (that is not a human, also not something you were directly responsible for) and that makes me the hero of this movie."

I'm just going to go ahead and say it: I kinda don't care if Russian mobsters end up dead?

They're involved deeply with human trafficking so frankly fuck them

So it especially doesn't bother me when it's fictional Russian mobsters getting killed because some of them broke into someones house to steal their car, beat them half to death and then literally killed their puppy to top it all off.

Yes, but why do you (in the general sense) enjoy seeing this without any reasonable moral filter?

I mean, that's the thing about John Wick's narrative--the only person in the wrong against Wick was the boss' son. It wasn't a calculated attempt to hurt Wick, and reaction by authority parties wasn't first met with violence or threats. The boss' reaction--"Hey, killing my son for being a stupid dick is kinda OP, no? Let's work this out without a murderspree,"--is the far more logical and rational reaction. But he's the bad guy, I guess.
    @Atomika

John Wick spoiler post
    That isn't the boss's reaction though. You're leaving out a pile of context mentioned by SJ earlier.

Boss knew why Wick got out. He knew what it cost Wick, and knew the value of what he spent. His empire was built on the rewards reaped by the price he extracted for Wick's exit.
    He knew Wick had faced loss afterwards. He knew what was left of Wick was a grief-stricken ultimate killing machine clinging to the last scraps of the memory of why he paid such a high price.

And his son disrespected the final remnants of the memory.

And when the call came, he trivialized everything he knew, casually trivialized Wick's whole life, made no attempt to mitigate the insult.

We like watching what happens next because we believe that the people we love have a value that should be respected above all else. That the deals we make with our most precious resources should be honored and revered by those involved. That our sacrifice should be respected and recognized by those who benefit from it, held inviolate, treated as precious.

And deep down we believe that those who wrong us that deeply should be punished, along with all who aid their enterprise. John Wick is an assassin but he could be a coal miner or a chattel slave or even an office drone. In theme, this movie belongs not with Commando and Predator but Glory, and Django, Rambo and Falling Down, and even Nine to Five.

Disrespect of our basic humanity demands a response. That's why we like John Wick.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    cryptotulipmania

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I am very dissapointed "A Jeff Bridges too far" and "The Jeff Bridges of Madison County" both fail to come up with photoshops.

meanwhile the nic cage photoshop world is still hard at work

p4hfok97k3az.jpeg

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know what percentage of bitcoin is actually being used for buying things versus what's being traded because of currency speculation.

the cursory glance I did gave me an article that noted that the searches for "how to buy bitcoin" have gone up as searches for "how to buy gold" has plummeted

now, normally, market analysis via a single google search data point is not something I'd put much stock in, but

I think that sums it up

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Every time I see a new pic of Kim Jong Number Un he looks like he's eaten another four babies.

• Options
    the essence of john wick's morality is that a guy is an asshole and then bad things happen to him

there isn't anything deeply philosophical to be said about that. We have an innate sense of fairness that means we enjoy that.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Every time I see a new pic of Kim Jong Number Un he looks like he's eaten another four babies.

can't really prove that he hasn't

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

What else is there to eat

• Options
    John Wick was the embodiment of "leave a man with nothing and he has nothing left to lose."

he could have solved his whole murder-spree by calling up the Russian mob and telling them what happened, and accepted their surely-generous tribute

OR

he could kill 77 people

"I'm sorry, I'm super bereaved right now and your kid made a dumb mistake so I'm going to kill him and everyone that works with him and then I'm killing you, my former boss, because I have a dead wife (that you're not at all responsible for) and dead dog (that is not a human, also not something you were directly responsible for) and that makes me the hero of this movie."

I'm just going to go ahead and say it: I kinda don't care if Russian mobsters end up dead?

So it especially doesn't bother me when it's fictional Russian mobsters getting killed because some of them broke into someones house to steal their car, beat them half to death and then literally killed their puppy to top it all off.

Yes, but why do you (in the general sense) enjoy seeing this without any reasonable moral filter?

I mean, that's the thing about John Wick's narrative--the only person in the wrong against Wick was the boss' son. It wasn't a calculated attempt to hurt Wick, and reaction by authority parties wasn't first met with violence or threats. The boss' reaction--"Hey, killing my son for being a stupid dick is kinda OP, no? Let's work this out without a murderspree,"--is the far more logical and rational reaction. But he's the bad guy, I guess.
    @Atomika

John Wick spoiler post
    That isn't the boss's reaction though. You're leaving out a pile of context mentioned by SJ earlier.

Boss knew why Wick got out. He knew what it cost Wick, and knew the value of what he spent. His empire was built on the rewards reaped by the price he extracted for Wick's exit.
    He knew Wick had faced loss afterwards. He knew what was left of Wick was a grief-stricken ultimate killing machine clinging to the last scraps of the memory of why he paid such a high price.

And when the call came, he trivialized everything he knew, casually trivialized Wick's whole life, made no attempt to mitigate the insult.

We like watching what happens next because we believe that the people we love have a value that should be respected above all else. That the deals we make with our most precious resources should be honored and revered by those involved. That our sacrifice should be respected and recognized by those who benefit from it, held inviolate, treated as precious.

And deep down we believe that those who wrong us that deeply should be punished, along with all who aid their enterprise. John Wick is an assassin but he could be a coal miner or a chattel slave or even an office drone. In theme, this movie belongs not with Commando and Predator but Glory, and Django, Rambo and Falling Down, and even Nine to Five.

Disrespect of our basic humanity demands a response. That's why we like John Wick.

I don't disagree with the emotional mathematics here, merely the collective public reaction to how that's realized in this narrative.
    As well, I seem to remember the boss empathizing with Wick and apologizing right off the bat. Wick makes the boss choose between his young son and the enraged victim of an accidental slight, and damns him for doing the former.

• Options

dammit this was gonna be my joke

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I was reading an article earlier about a north korean fishing boat that washed up on japanese shores with 9 bodies inside, apparently this has been happening more often because of North Korea using people who aren't good at fishing or using a boat. So uhh hooray?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    people have asked me why — if meditation is so great and gives you so much bliss — are my films so dark, and there’s so much violence?
    There are many, many dark things flowing around in this world right now, and most films reflect the world in which we live. They’re stories. Stories are always going to have conflict. They’re going to have highs and lows, and good and bad.
    I fall in love with certain ideas. And I am where I am. Now, if I told you I was enlightened, and this is enlightened filmmaking, that would be another story. But I’m just a guy from Missoula, Montana, doing my thing, going down the road like everybody else.
    We all reflect the world we live in. Even if you make a period film, it will reflect your times. You can see the way period films differ, depending on when they were made. It’s a sensibility — how they talk, certain themes — and those things change as the world changes.
    And so, even though I’m from Missoula, Montana, which is not the surrealistic capital of the world, you could be anywhere and see a kind of strangeness in how the world is these days, or have a certain way of looking at things.

• Options

Why do dictators always look so goofy, anyway? In movies they always look like stern, sharp-featured bastards. But in real life, aside from Putin they all look like what a newspaper cartoonist would draw.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Somewhat relevant to the topic, I think

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    so i ended up watching that whole lindsey ellis series about transformers

it was p good

she does good work

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

OR

he could kill 77 people

@Atomika

John Wick spoiler post

I don't disagree with the emotional mathematics here, merely the collective public reaction to how that's realized in this narrative.
    As well, I seem to remember the boss empathizing with Wick and apologizing right off the bat. Wick makes the boss choose between his young son and the enraged victim of an accidental slight, and damns him for doing the former.

Yo it's not an "accidental slight" in the slightest
    They broke into his home, harassed him, beat him up, and murdered his dog. They didn't accidentally break into his home and kill the puppy his dead wife had left him. The mobster knew the rules and had agreed to them plenty of times. The mobster cared about his son more than the rules, but in this case the rules were right. The son was young but not a kid, he should have known better.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

it was p good

she does good work
    you ate the whole plate

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I always confuse Cronenburg and Lynch. Damn davids making weird movies.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    people have asked me why — if meditation is so great and gives you so much bliss — are my films so dark, and there’s so much violence?
    There are many, many dark things flowing around in this world right now, and most films reflect the world in which we live. They’re stories. Stories are always going to have conflict. They’re going to have highs and lows, and good and bad.
    I fall in love with certain ideas. And I am where I am. Now, if I told you I was enlightened, and this is enlightened filmmaking, that would be another story. But I’m just a guy from Missoula, Montana, doing my thing, going down the road like everybody else.
    We all reflect the world we live in. Even if you make a period film, it will reflect your times. You can see the way period films differ, depending on when they were made. It’s a sensibility — how they talk, certain themes — and those things change as the world changes.
    And so, even though I’m from Missoula, Montana, which is not the surrealistic capital of the world, you could be anywhere and see a kind of strangeness in how the world is these days, or have a certain way of looking at things.

I'd agree with him, but the only times movies WERENT dark as shit was during the Golden Age of Hollywood, and that was because the Hays Code censored everything.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

it was p good

she does good work
    you ate the whole plate

nice

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    You know if the boss dad in John Wick
    had just tied up his son and his degenerate friends, invited John over and offered him a pistol, maybe started a charity in honor of his wife/dog, probably the whole thing would have blown over.

• Options

it was p good

she does good work

She's no longer under the nostalgia critic right? God that guy was/is terrible.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The UK parliament is a festival of schadenfreude at the moment

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I always confuse Cronenburg and Lynch. Damn davids making weird movies.

-berg

Peter Berg; also making weird movies. Battleship for instance.

• Options

OR

he could kill 77 people

@Atomika

John Wick spoiler post

The choice is between his son and the empire Wick paid for. The son would never have been able to wrong Wick if not for the price paid by Wick himself.

Wick demands an equal sacrifice. The boss will not pay, and disrespects the man who can collect.

• Options

it was p good

she does good work

She's no longer under the nostalgia critic right? God that guy was/is terrible.

i have no idea

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

OR

he could kill 77 people

@Atomika

John Wick spoiler post

Yo it's not an "accidental slight" in the slightest
    They broke into his home, harassed him, beat him up, and murdered his dog. They didn't accidentally break into his home and kill the puppy his dead wife had left him. The mobster knew the rules and had agreed to them plenty of times. The mobster cared about his son more than the rules, but in this case the rules were right. The son was young but not a kid, he should have known better.

"Accidental" in terms of had it happened to literally anyone else, the mob boss wouldn't have given two shits about what his son did

it's the central contrivance of the story, how one random encounter between two people who didn't know how they were connected shaped what was to come

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    You know if the boss dad in John Wick
    had just tied up his son and his degenerate friends, invited John over and offered him a pistol, maybe started a charity in honor of his wife/dog, probably the whole thing would have blown over.
    "My son killed your dog, and would have not done so if he had known it was your house he was in. In retribution, I offer you the life of my son and whatever else you want."
    That just doesn't seem reasonable to expect.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Maybe the real loss.jpg is all the time we’ve lost in chat

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

No fatshaming Koreans pls

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
This discussion has been closed.