As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Wow I just completely tuned out TG proper after Leblanc left, didn't even know about this, looks like the guy really got hurt looking at those photos. I guess when the three musketeers left they took all the proper safety crew too.

Yeah the last couple series did seem to be unnecessarily dangerous in places, plus Flintoff isn't exactly the safety conscious type.

Edit: Did Hammond ever get a settlement for any of his numerous crashes?

James had a pretty bad accident in Gran Tour as well in a stunt that I would argue was much more dangerous by design than Hammond's. Whatever those guys took with them it wasn't higher safety standards.

James had a couple of bad ones in the TG days, the Middle East special where the tow rope knocked him down and split his head open on a rock comes to mind. James and Richard have both come off horses, etc etc...

The last GT special o think when they race down th dark tunnel with periodic lights and have to stop in time led to one of the most obvious crashes when James slams into the wall at the end.

Pretty sure that's the one Butters was referring to. That was properly idiotic.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Wow I just completely tuned out TG proper after Leblanc left, didn't even know about this, looks like the guy really got hurt looking at those photos. I guess when the three musketeers left they took all the proper safety crew too.

Yeah the last couple series did seem to be unnecessarily dangerous in places, plus Flintoff isn't exactly the safety conscious type.

James had a pretty bad accident in Gran Tour as well in a stunt that I would argue was much more dangerous by design than Hammond's. Whatever those guys took with them it wasn't higher safety standards.

James had a couple of bad ones in the TG days, the Middle East special where the tow rope knocked him down and split his head open on a rock comes to mind. James and Richard have both come off horses, etc etc...

The last GT special o think when they race down th dark tunnel with periodic lights and have to stop in time led to one of the most obvious crashes when James slams into the wall at the end.

Yeah that seemed like a really dumb idea

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    but there was never like a lawsuit of any kind, no matter how many times Hammond set himself on fire or James awkwardly fell over.
    This suggests there was some provable negligence on the BBC's end.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    The fact that Hammond's wife let's him do ANYTHING anymore on that show raises all kinds of questions. Seriously, I don't know how he got back in cars doing those things after EITHER of his big crashes.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited October 2023

Pretty sure that's the one Butters was referring to. That was properly idiotic.

The exact one. Hammond you could argue drove that electric supercar too aggressively in that uphill race, but the dark tunnel accident James wrecked in was an ill-conceived stunt even as it was presented post production.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    but there was never like a lawsuit of any kind, no matter how many times Hammond set himself on fire or James awkwardly fell over.
    This suggests there was some provable negligence on the BBC's end.

https://youtu.be/6P40_kd-mS8?si=p7rZzw6kSaRgYt3t

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Whelp that's that then...
    https://x.com/BBCNews/status/1726938870934045029?s=20
    vaasl8ktjeru.png

On the positive side, Clarkson's farm got two more seasons approved.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I know this may be a minority opinion, but I'll miss it. The current presenters meshed well (against expectation, it has to be said). But considering Flintoff is very clearly extremely lucky to even be alive, I can understand it. Interesting that the BBC are hedging their bets in their phrasing though.

James May has a few choice words for, like, everybody who replied to that tweet:
    Speaking about Flintoff, May said: "I've only met Freddie once or twice but it's obviously more serious than we all thought."

May added that he was irritated by suggestions that he, Hammond and Clarkson could return to the series.

"It did annoy me a bit because there were a lot of people saying, 'They've done that wrong and now you can come back and rescue it'.

"The bloke's hurt himself very badly in a life-changing way, obviously. And you could perhaps not use it as an opportunity to be partisan. You could perhaps just say, 'Rotten bit of luck, hope you get well soon'."

May also suggests the format could use "a rethink":
    "It's time for a new format and a new approach to the subject because the subject has not been this interesting, I suspect, since the car has been invented."

After Clarkson was fired from the series for punching a producer in 2015, May and Hammond also left and the trio were immediately hired for a new motoring series, The Grand Tour, on Amazon Prime Video.

Since then, May said Top Gear "has followed a very similar format and framework to the way we left it".

"But, I mean, we're getting quite old and we already do that," he continued. "There's another way. I'm not saying I know what it is, but there must be one. There must be another way of doing a show about cars.

"I'd be really surprised if it is gone forever... It or something like it."

( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67494368 )

Jazz on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Fair play to May for actually saying it out loud. It is very silly to get angry that the OG trio left TG and were replaced. It's even sillier to push for them to come back and for the show to go back to 2005. If you want to watch Clarkson, Hammond and May do their thing, Grand Tour is right there. They don't need to go back to Top Gear and put everything back as it was.

Even if they could though there's still the point May touched on, the formula is twenty years old and stale. Even GT stopped trying to make it work by the end of the third season. If the guys who invented it and made it popular can't make it work any more, expecting anyone else to is futile. The BBC keep trying to push the idea that new gear was a "renascence" but really all they did was go through a series of attempts to recreate the lightning in a bottle and continue business as usual. There's at least half a dozen YouTube channels who did that far more successfully than the BBC did.

If the BBC can't come up with the next innovation to actually reinvent the show into its next life, it's probably better to just let it die until they can.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Cars are kind of interesting, maybe, but you can give Clarkson, May, and Hammond a budget to do a show about yard work and it'll be a good time.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The format still works, but no one is willing to be honest like Clarkson, May, and then Hammond were and have the freedom from sponsors. Back when Top Gear was really spreading the brand, if you ever watched the other country versions, no one ever really was a Clarkson with a contradictory stupid but at the same time honest and kinda true opinion about a car they drive. It was much more informational, and they would try and add character in the car challenges. In Korea the best parts were the celebrity ones because a few of them wrecked the reasonably priced car.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite bits was that stupid 'Cool Wall's where they'd argue for ten minutes on whether a car was cool or not and I don't think that's something car companies would let them do now.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Like so many shows, it’s not about what it’s about, it’s who is presenting it.

Watching someone natter on about putting together a lawn mower from the 50s could be the worst thing ever, but it’s amazing when you have James May do it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Re: Format, I hadn't realized it till they came over to do TGT and realized how BORING I found a lot of the day to day format pieces, and was just pushing through it for the character interactions/stories/driving.

Really what I realized I wanted, and they switched over to, was just the specials. I still rewatch old specials here and there, and having just a few of those a year is great, especially as it lets the trio branch out to other things, for better or worse (and I still say I enjoyed Hammon's little Island show with the guy from Mythbusters).

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It looks like The Grand Tour is also done having finished up filming in Zimbabwe https://www.pistonheads.com/news/general-pistonheads/clarkson-hammond-and-may-set-to-hang-up-spurs/47916

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Out of nowhere, James May dropped a new season of Man In on Amazon, this time India. Seems to be only 3 episodes unless they’re going to make this weekly. 20 minutes into the first episode and it does feel like it’s going to be the most scripted of the seasons which is sad.

• Options
    That looks promising.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Out of nowhere, James May dropped a new season of Man In on Amazon, this time India. Seems to be only 3 episodes unless they’re going to make this weekly. 20 minutes into the first episode and it does feel like it’s going to be the most scripted of the seasons which is sad.

It was a nice surprise though. I just randomly saw it it sitting there. Was really cool to see more of a place i haven't seen as much of.

Really wish there was more of it though.

• Options
    I know TGT is basically done barring this special and one more, and I get it, but I think I actually wouldn't necessarily mind seeing Clarkson doing some SE asia tours. In all the previous specials, he's actually come across as the most actually interested and respectful one. That COULD just be the magic of TV and all.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    In all the previous specials, he's actually come across as the most actually interested and respectful one. That COULD just be the magic of TV and all.

Respectful? The guy who punched someone in the face and then pressured him to keep quiet about it?

• Options
    Mc zany wrote: »
    In all the previous specials, he's actually come across as the most actually interested and respectful one. That COULD just be the magic of TV and all.

Respectful? The guy who punched someone in the face and then pressured him to keep quiet about it?

Again, what's seen of TV, and of SE Asian culture/people, not generally people. I'm talking about the various specials there where he takes the time to learn some of the language, or the history/etc and they show him not only not haggling over a couple bucks but arguing against it. Again, could be the magic of TV and I'd be disappointed but not 100% surprised to see it.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »

Again, what's seen of TV, and of SE Asian culture/people, not generally people. I'm talking about the various specials there where he takes the time to learn some of the language, or the history/etc and they show him not only not haggling over a couple bucks but arguing against it. Again, could be the magic of TV and I'd be disappointed but not 100% surprised to see it.

He also, again it could have been a bit for TV because of how much a picky eater Richard is, seemed to like having as much of the local food as possible. Often the weirder the better.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I believe Clarkson spent a summer in Vietnam after they did the scooter special because he liked it so much and I believe he might have gone back after he was fired from the BBC.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/vif80JxqVT0?si=N0npn2FOQZNEmeg6

Have some vintage Clarkson with some gorgeous '90s machinery.

• Options
    The New Dab Tour special is up, feels like they're playing it seriously this time, and actually doing things right. Probably because it's both the last special for a while (so it's 2+ hours) and you can only do so much in a desert for a thousand miles in a country that isn't as safe as their last African special.

I do notice Clarkson's beer belly is bigger and it sounds like he's breathing more heavily, and I don't know if it's because he's 90 or because it's 115 degrees.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Pretty great episode. Always good when they get to cross a river.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    The New Dab Tour special is up, feels like they're playing it seriously this time, and actually doing things right. Probably because it's both the last special for a while (so it's 2+ hours) and you can only do so much in a desert for a thousand miles in a country that isn't as safe as their last African special.

I do notice Clarkson's beer belly is bigger and it sounds like he's breathing more heavily, and I don't know if it's because he's 90 or because it's 115 degrees.

They’re old. It’s why they’re stopping.

• Options
    Really surprised that Hammond was able to bear that car
    I bet anything that ripping the tent off the top so that he can open the roof was his idea.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Clarkson pulled a real dirty trick with the
    playing a sad, goodbye song during sand donuts but damn if it didn't work on me. Can't complain about the sheer amount of entertainment they've given us but that it's almost done and they are doing these things for the last time, well yeah it's a bit melancholic.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

He's only 63. It's just that he doesn't take care of himself and along with that he smokes, or at least he used to.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I'll readily admit it's childish, but
    I laughed out loud, repeatedly, when the panned to James' car filled with sand

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

He's only 63. It's just that he doesn't take care of himself and along with that he smokes, or at least he used to.

He doesn't take care of himself and according to a peak-COVID episode of Jezza's Farm, he "smoked three-quarters of a million cigarettes" and has scarred lungs from pneumonia.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Man, that special managed to have many of the best and worst elements of their previous specials in between a lot of sand. I REALLY enjoyed it, but I'm clearly a bit of a fanboy. The pranks (or more importantly, revenge) really seem to get more and more malicious in terms of attitude with which it's delivered as the guys get older.

• Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Man, that special managed to have many of the best and worst elements of their previous specials in between a lot of sand. I REALLY enjoyed it, but I'm clearly a bit of a fanboy. The pranks (or more importantly, revenge) really seem to get more and more malicious in terms of attitude with which it's delivered as the guys get older.

Really a missed opportunity with the blue tooth speaker. He should have just hidden it and had it make that beeping noise forever.

• Options

Really a missed opportunity with the blue tooth speaker. He should have just hidden it and had it make that beeping noise forever.

how would that be a different from what the car was already doing?

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    If that was the last special ever, it was a good ending. Classic stuff, although the fact that its just scripted from start to finish (well, maybe not the last 5 minutes) shone through more heavily than in the past.
    When they started driving on the beach, I thought this was a pretty good ending - until they came to a stop and had the news about riots thrown at them. Uff. At least they just bailed on the whole thing then and didn't do anything stupid.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    If that was the last special ever, it was a good ending. Classic stuff, although the fact that its just scripted from start to finish (well, maybe not the last 5 minutes) shone through more heavily than in the past.
    When they started driving on the beach, I thought this was a pretty good ending - until they came to a stop and had the news about riots thrown at them. Uff. At least they just bailed on the whole thing then and didn't do anything stupid.

There's one more coming

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Oh is there? Ok, didn't know that.

• Options
    Wtf....
    https://www.carthrottle.com/news/final-grand-tour-episode

Are they getting Harris, Flintoff and McGinnis?