As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Civilization Democracy Game

ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
A thread for Andrew_Jay's proposed democracy game. I'm not sure I need to do much to get the discussion going.

What do people think the mechanics for elections and governments should be?

Shinto on

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm about to make a three hour drive home, so I can't contribute much (if anything) now, but I definitely feel there should be secret and overt goals and (possibly) abilities for everyone. Religious interests, commercial interests, military interests, whatever.

Basically, I am enthusiastic.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Personally, I think that people will have different enough ideas about the correct policy for our civilization that we won't have to assign them roles.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    Personally, I think that people will have different enough ideas about the correct policy for our civilization that we won't have to assign them roles.

I feel that certain interests should definitely not have the best interest of the civilization in mind. If we have a Buddhist who wants to raze a Muslim city to the ground, that's probably a bad idea for others, but great for killing off the other religions.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Maybe I missed it, can someone link the post?

I'd be down so long as I can compose my land army entirely of bears with shark launchers and my navy entirely of sharks with bear launchers.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here's a good template to get the 'action part of the game. Can't have democracy without breaking some eggs - an effective democracy can't cover everyone's needs.

http://www.aforcemorepowerful.org/game/

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    I think it sounds like a good idea, but don't those games run like 300 turns at least? How will we do things like set unit movement or production queues or whatever?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I think it sounds like a good idea, but don't those games run like 300 turns at least? How will we do things like set unit movement or production queues or whatever?

I can only imagine that whatever government is in power would leave instructions with the moderator covering civilization policy for, say, a ten or fifteen turn block which would then be executed every day. Small events where a decision has to be made could be handled via a PM consult with the appropriate minister. Large events like an unplanned war would necessitate new policy instructions from the government.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanks Shinto.

For unit movement and production queues, I'm thinking that under some government you'll just have the person playing make those decisions themselves while under others you'll have representatives to give input to the player (who at this point is just a game master - not making decisions).

More dramatic stuff - research decisions, someone declares war on us, do we build a wonder, etc. the game stops and comes back to the thread for debate and/or voting.

Also, I wouldn't be adversed to doing some simple modding to make the game a little more friendly for this style of game play (tweak the number of turns, the technology and build rates, etc.).

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I really don't know how it'll play out . . . this is the part of the game I'm still wondering about. I'm just worried that purely rational decision making will lead to everyone agreeing on the same stuff - a little irrational thought might be interesting.

I have an idea to assign people an affiliation based on the great people from the game (artists, prophets, engineers, merchants, scientists and generals) - at the very least, only those people can decide what to do if one of their great people are born. There could also be bonuses (weighted votes) under certain governments/civics.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Thanks Shinto.

For unit movement and production queues, I'm thinking that under some government you'll just have the person playing make those decisions themselves while under others you'll have representatives to give input to the player (who at this point is just a game master - not making decisions).

More dramatic stuff - research decisions, someone declares war on us, do we build a wonder, etc. the game stops and comes back to the thread for debate and/or voting.

I think it would be cool to have three or four person parties in charge of policy, with elections via poll between parties every twenty turns or so.

Personally, I like the drama that elections of representatives add on top of the game, rather that simply making decisions by referendum without overall policy coherence. In the very early game I imagine that everyone would pretty much agree.

But I think that the game is sufficiently complicated with enough options that controversy wouldn't be hard to find. Like, from the moment the easy expansion stops and real choices about development and war begin.

Shinto on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thanks Shinto.

I think it would be cool to have three or four person parties in charge of policy, with elections via poll between parties every twenty turns or so.

Personally, I like the drama that elections of representatives add on top of the game, rather that simply making decisions by referendum without overall policy coherence.

I like that idea as well.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Personally, I like the drama that elections of representatives add on top of the game, rather that simply making decisions by referendum without overall policy coherence. In the very early game I imagine that everyone would pretty much agree.

But I think that the game is sufficiently complicated with enough options that controversy wouldn't be hard to find. Like, from the moment the easy expansion stops and real choices about development and war begin.
    One thing I've been working on has been the election of representatives. I'm just thinking that some big decisions might be subject to a referendum.

Some ideas: under representation the players will elect several people to make decisions (three or five, maybe), under universal suffrage perhaps there will be more representatives, or some other mechanic I haven't thought of.

Despotism and hereditary rule could perhaps involve only a subset of the players electing a single leader - I think under hereditary rule having the current player choose their successor (subject to some kind of veto from the players) could be fun.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm just worried that purely rational decision making will lead to everyone agreeing on the same stuff - a little irrational thought might be interesting.

This is my concern as well.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm not as excited about changing the way the game is run based on what kind of government the civilization has.

But then, if the concept is successful I'm sure we'll have many of these, so it isn't like this will be the only game.

Shinto on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm just worried that purely rational decision making will lead to everyone agreeing on the same stuff - a little irrational thought might be interesting.

I think irrational thought would make everything wonderfully more interesting, especially because we would possibly see much more rapid fluctuations than reality allows.

I mean, it would be raucous fun if a war-mongering theocratic group held power for a cycle or two, and then we had a benevolent republican trying to put together the pieces of the world.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Pop open an old saved game from around the year 1200 AD.

Look at the map and think about all the different ways you could take the game.

Ah well, like I said, this particular game doesn't have to be everything I like.

Another consideration though is that if you assign roles then you have to have people sign up in the beginning. If you don't assign roles then people can just come in to vote and participate as they like as the game goes on.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm just thinking that some big decisions might be subject to a referendum.
    Then again, the big decisions are what reveal the measure of your representative's leadership.
    Another consideration though is that if you assign roles then you have to have people sign up in the beginning. If you don't assign roles then people can just come in to vote and participate as they like as the game goes on.
    True - and the game might be somewhat longer than a Phalla and without the elimination of players.

I think rather than assigning roles, I might toy with "specials" - someone who can force a war, a research decision, the construction of a wonder, etc. etc. Still, that screws over the people who might some in later.

EDIT: though when brining in new players they can always be assigned to a group.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oboro wrote: »

I think irrational thought would make everything wonderfully more interesting, especially because we would possibly see much more rapid fluctuations than reality allows.

I mean, it would be raucous fun if a war-mongering theocratic group held power for a cycle or two, and then we had a benevolent republican trying to put together the pieces of the world.

Or the religious groups collaborating with the militarist groups to institute a military theocracy, and change the civics accordingly.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yes yes yes! Honestly, I think that if people just keep in mind the priority is to have fun and cause a ruckus, and not to ensure a prosperous civilization, it'll spin out wonderfully.

Barring that, though, you could just create a laundry list of goals in the beginning. "Raze all cities bordering our civilization on the east, regardless of their alignment-- 10 points." "Begin a religious war, force your opponent to cower before you, and then declare a cease-fire-- 15 points."

Just create three teams afterwards with open membership, and a rule that you cannot join a team with 2 more players than any other team. People can come and go as they like.

Points go to the teams that earned them, and when the win condition is met (conferring points of its own), or our civilization is burnt to cinders, the team leading with points wins.

It seems more chaotic on paper than it necessarily would be, I think, because smart teams would combine goals that followed one another and if we develop smart goals, they wouldn't all be completely counter-intuitive development anyway. :P

EDIT: Sorry that my examples suck, I've actually never played a Civ game, haha.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What I see of this thread looks interesting but I don't completely understand what the premise is. Are we talking about multiplayer Civ?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Since we are all going to be the same Empire, our overarching goal (the win) should be the same.

The method of winning is what we will maneuver over.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Do you really need teams to get point to determine who wins? I mean, winning an election is probably incentive enough.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Do you really need teams to get point to determine who wins? I mean, winning an election is probably incentive enough.
    Yeah, if we're going to go with teams, I think being able to maneuver your own people into power to direct policy is going to be enough.
    Feral wrote: »
    What I see of this thread looks interesting but I don't completely understand what the premise is. Are we talking about multiplayer Civ?
    Single-player civ, but as a group we take over a civ and direct how is played. Think of it as being the citizens of an empire in the game.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Not multiplayer Civ in the hand-off way that G&T played it for a while, but multiplayer in that the person who is making keypresses is acting on the part of some sort of representatives or... governments or... something decided on the boards.

I don't know. I just sort of want to act out my deep-seated grudge against Christianity and its slow-simmered establishment of a civilization bent on my ostracizing.

EDIT t Shinto-- yeah, sorry haha, I just got out of my hand with my imagination. Traditional Oboroism, my bad. :D

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Since we are all going to be the same Empire, our overarching goal (the win) should be the same.

The method of winning is what we will maneuver over.

And Civ does have several win conditions.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I hereby express interest but I don't know what this is all about either.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not multiplayer Civ in the hand-off way that G&T played it for a while, but multiplayer in that the person who is making keypresses is acting on the part of some sort of representatives or... governments or... something decided on the boards.

I don't know. I just sort of want to act out my deep-seated grudge against Christianity and its slow-simmered establishment of a civilization bent on my ostracizing.

EDIT t Shinto-- yeah, sorry haha, I just got out of my hand with my imagination. Traditional Oboroism, my bad. :D

So not everybody needs to have the same version of Civ?
    That's a plus. I don't have and don't intend to get Civ4.
    This sounds like it could take fooooorrrrrrreeeeevvvvvveeeeeeeerrrrrr though.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited May 2007
    AJ plays a game of civilization, and is guided in the playing by the decisions of the forumers. So it's like the forumers being members of the civilization and determining its moves.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

So not everybody needs to have the same version of Civ?
    That's a plus. I don't have and don't intend to get Civ4.
    This sounds like it could take fooooorrrrrrreeeeevvvvvveeeeeeeerrrrrr though.

It could take three or four weeks.

I mean, it takes between six and twelve hours to play a game of CIV III straight through.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I love CIV II, CIV III, and CIV IV. I am like all over this when it starts!

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How long would terms be?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Another idea would be to have each player representing the interests of one of the cities. That might be a little difficult to work out.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Another idea would be to have each player representing the interests of one of the cities. That might be a little difficult to work out.

HOw would we decide when what to attack then? We keep track of how many tanks my city makes?

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

HOw would we decide when what to attack then? We keep track of how many tanks my city makes?

I can't tell what you mean.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Well if we are all in charge of a city, how will we as a nation decide how/when to use our army. I mean if I build 4 tank units as the leader of a city, will I have complete control over the tank units? OR once I build a tank unit does it get nationalized.

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Well if we are all in charge of a city, how will we as a nation decide how/when to use our army. I mean if I build 4 tank units as the leader of a city, will I have complete control over the tank units? OR once I build a tank unit does it get nationalized.

You'd still have national leaders.

Representing a city would give players some measure of conflicting interests to watch out for though.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Interesting, but it raises the problem of how do you assign people to new cities as they're settled/conquered.

One work-around (which would also help streamline the game and cut out the early-game tedium) would be to start from a scenario that gives us a handful of cities - but that would involve me having more input in the game than I might really want.

Also, this is one of the big differences between Civ III and Civ IV - in the later you're not going to have a whole lot of cities. Maybe a dozen or so on a standard map.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Interesting, but it raises the problem of how do you assign people to new cities as they're settled/conquered.

I don't know.

This probably isn't ready for prime time. Maybe next time.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    roll a dice set up an order and go

player 1
    player 2
    player 3
    player 4
    player 5

player 5
    player 4
    player 3
    player 2
    player 1

like the draft

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I don't know.

This probably isn't ready for prime time. Maybe next time.

Districts.
    Everybody gets assigned a geographic district. As cities are conquered, they're added to the closest adjacent districts.
    Then we have to periodically re-define the district boundaries. This would give the lower officials a chance to engage in some good old democratic jerrymandering.

Feral on