As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Blue Day and Ahead Of The Game - two short animations

BigJKOBigJKO Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hi,

Big-time lurker here. But I've recently finished my latest project, two short animations and wanted to share it with everyone. The music is composed by my awesome friend Helgi, from Iceland.

EDIT:
anim02.jpganim03.jpganim01.jpg

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ZeVCyManY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6O2BaNjsl4

or.. my own mirror:
http://www.jonkk.dk/film/anim/aheadOfTheGame.mov
http://www.jonkk.dk/film/anim/aBlueDay.mov

Hope you all enjoy this..

P.S. reading the rules I'm thinking maybe I should embed the YouTube videos into the post. Would that be preferable?

BigJKO on

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not sure if you can embed YouTube videos, but maybe some screenshots?

If it's good stuff I think you may be able to get away with it :)

EDIT: I'll just post what I posted in the comments section:

Haha, cool.

Nice work. Short but sweet. The music goes well with it.

EDIT2: The second one is great. The ending part where he gets a new friend makes it excellent. Once again, the music was great.

How long does it take you to make one of these, and what's your process? Look forward to seeing more.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    :o

:o:o:o!!!

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    freekfreek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Good concepts! I wish we had more animators around here.

freek on
  • Options
    EvilKidSteveyEvilKidStevey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow those are quality man...props to your icelandic friend for the music too, it was perfect for your style.

EvilKidStevey on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Very excellent!

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I definitely laughed :)

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Your blue monster looks like 'Blue' from that Imaginary Friends show.

Good shorts though.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    couch-potatocouch-potato Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The fly's death was sadder than when ol' yeller had to be put down. A damn fine job.

couch-potato on
    "We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special. "
    -Stephen Hawking
  • Options
    RedPearlRedPearl Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    :o

:o:o:o!!!

Agreed.

RedPearl on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

@Forbe!
    Yes, I agree. Strangely, I didn't make the association until after finishing the short. But then again, 'Blu' doesn't have legs. Hope my character differs enough from 'Blu', but on the other hand it's only cool that it reminds people of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends as that's a pretty awesome show.

@Tweaked_Bat_
    The process is still being.. tweaked. Both are made in Flash.

Ahead of the Game was animated "on-the-run" so to speak. Never really stopped to think where this was going until at the very end when you have to tie it all together. That's what's so wonderful about working directly in Flash, with a tablet. It started with me just drawing him walking into the view, then I suddenly wanted him to take off his head and pull something out. In the end, when everything has become more concrete I make the background and things like the intro with him driving. It's a real fun way of doing this. No commitment to any story. Just pure animation.

For A Blue Day I used a bit more time building a story, and unlike AOTG I had the scenes roughly "choreographed" in my head. But I still managed to remain completely unconventional, and unprofessional, by not even drawing a storyboard. It wasn't until at the very last that I drew up a storyboard to make cutting it easier. Even had to cut out a scene, something I never thought I'd do with these kinds of free-time projects. I used Blender, a free 3D/sequencing program to do the editing and those particle effects used twice in the film (and man, do I need to practice making those because they were pretty basic..)

I started Ahead Of The Game sometime in December and A Blue Day in February (IIRC..) It definately got easier making A Blue Day, because of what I'd learned doing the first. I'm pretty sure that if I'd have done these shorts full-time they could've been done in two-three weeks. But yeah, in my free time it took about five-six months.

Hope that was at least a bit interesting to read. :P

BigJKO on
  • Options
    Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Great stuff. Blue Day got chuckles out of me, and that's not common.

I look forward to seeing more. And any input on your animation process are and would be welcome. I'm sure there are other artists here like me who have wanted to fiddle with flash animation.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You sir, have made me very happy inside.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not really criticizing you for thievery, its more along the lines of facial expressions in your character that reminded me of Blu.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This thread got me as happy as a STUDIOBLINKTWICE thread.

Godfather on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Great showing by new talents like this, is what keeps me coming back to this forum.

Well done.

JCM on
  • Options
    SpidermangksSpidermangks Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    Good stuff! That was a nice laugh before a long day at work. A Blue Day, that thing just put a smile on my face. Well done!

Spidermangks on
    spiderBAN.bmp
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh, man. I'm so stoked!

Wanted to, again, say thanks for all the wonderful comments. You keep me inspired to make more of these, and I fully intend to follow up on these with more, hopefully, great animations.

And I wanted to let you guys know that A Blue Day is being featured on YouTube's Film & Animation category right now. It got the short a serious boost in views and a couple of new comments.

I've got a story idea cooking with more of the blue monster thing. Hope I can have something to show before too long.

BigJKO on
  • Options
    MacarelloMacarello Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, these are freakin great. Wonderful music, top-notch animation, and some excellent humour and ideas. I only hope I'll be able to do this stuff one day...

Macarello on
    The below statement is true.
    The above statement is false.

You:O_o
    Me: :rotate: