As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Manners

Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited May 2007 in Social Entropy++
Do you say "please" and "thank you"? Do you say "yes sir" and "no sir" to elders? Do you hold the door open for the guy behind you? Do you let the guest go first? Elbows on the table? etc.


Down here in the south, manners are a huge deal and I keep hearing stories about how that's not the case in other parts of the country. I'm just curious what ya'lls take on it is.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
Munkus Beaver on
«134

Posts

  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Minnesota nice

    scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i hold doors open and stuff and say please and thank you

    but elbows on the table has never made sense to me

    Homeless on
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Only if it's a hot chick.

    Highfire on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Heh, the south

    DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I live in the north. I say please and thank you and hold doors all the time.

    You folks in the south are not special.

    Marathon on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    But what about the manners of wild animals?

    DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RonjonRonjon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    In the midwest, you say howdy. if your in a truck and in a rural area you lift a finger off the wheel to all passing trucks, or else your an asshole. Please, thank you are negotiable. Most people I meet hate being called sir/ma'm

    Ronjon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Chivalry FTW.

    Frankly though, I don't see opening doors and being polite being too hard. People just don't give a shit.

    Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Minnesota people do not honk their cars at people, at all

    QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Usually i am only that nice when i hate the person but they are too stupid to know just how much i hate them.

    I try to avoid California nice, which basically consists of being the biggest asshole in existence but then following up anything you say with "dude im just playen"

    I like Canada nice, especially when people flash their lights at you on the road to let you know that a cop is up ahead.

    Barcardi on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm pretty awesome with the manners thing, and exceedingly polite, to the point where it annoys me sometimes.
    This, however, is mostly with people I don't know very well, or elders.
    I always smile, hold doors, pick up anything that elders have dropped, etc.
    I also say I'm sorry entirely too often.
    I always thought this was a Canadian habit but I've recently met some Americans who do it just as much, if not more, than I do.

    mully on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    just because they're old doesn't make them good people.

    Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I like Canada nice, especially when people flash their lights at you on the road to let you know that a cop is up ahead.

    They do this in Wisconsin, I like it as well

    DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    just because they're old doesn't make them good people.

    Just because they aren't good people doesn't mean you shouldn't be. Unless of course they're crazy assholes who wanna whack you with their canes. Then they can go to hell.

    Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What about feminists that want you to open the door for them but never help you in return?

    Barcardi on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Chivalry towards all human beings because that's just the right thing to do FTW

    Chivalry towards women based on out-dated ideas of how men and women should act FTL

    Sheri on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am polite and around older people I get more reserved at the dinner table and more mindful of that sort of thing.

    But I also know when to relax and not worry about that sort of thing.

    I'm always apologizing though, even for things I shouldn't.

    I never say bless you, I think it's silly...when I sneeze I just say "excuse me" and leave it at that.

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I do al of the above.

    Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    Chief1138Chief1138 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I lived in Alabama for a long time where say "yes sir, yes ma'm" and all that was pretty standard. I thought it was kind of retarded but eventually I got in to the habit of doing it too so now that I've moved away I'm sure I look an idiot every time I say it

    Chief1138 on
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I like Canada nice, especially when people flash their lights at you on the road to let you know that a cop is up ahead.

    They do this in Wisconsin, I like it as well

    I've had people do it in California too.

    I don't know why some of you folks are getting this "oh people here do such and such for you." No, we're all just a big load of rude pricks out west who won't be bothered by dumbass strangers. Holding doors open and saying "thank you" are strange and frightening to us.

    Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    Chivalry towards all human beings because that's just the right thing to do FTW

    Chivalry towards women based on out-dated ideas of how men and women should act FTL

    Women appreciate manners more then men though so it kind of has led me to be lazy on the guy side. Doesn't mean I won't hold the door or something, but I won't be trying as hard either.

    Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I say sir and ma'am to my teachers or any authority figure


    Really, the only other stuff I do that could be considered manners is hold a door open for others and pulling the lady's chair out first.


    Oh, and eating like a human being.

    Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I say yes sir and ma'am to just about everyone.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Please, thank you, and excuse me all the way.

    if you're a female, I will open the door for you. I won't sit down at a table until you do, and if I get the chance I will open a car door for you and hold out my hand looking for a tip.

    Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    I stand when a woman approaches the table.

    I don't sit down until all the women have seated.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not much of a manners freak, but I have been appalled when I eat out.


    A man was eating spaghetti with his hands

    Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can open my own doors and pull out my own chairs.

    If you're, like, walking in front of me and you go through a door and then hold it open or something yeah sure whatever

    But I don't appreciate someone feeling that they have to hold a door open for me just because I have a vajayjay.

    Sheri on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I stand when a woman approaches the table.

    I don't sit down until all the women have seated.

    That strikes me as kind of anal....

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    Chivalry towards all human beings because that's just the right thing to do FTW

    Chivalry towards women based on out-dated ideas of how men and women should act FTL

    I'm never putting my coat over a mud puddle for you again.

    Also, no rescuing from dragons.

    The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Arsenic7 wrote: »
    I stand when a woman approaches the table.

    I don't sit down until all the women have seated.

    That strikes me as kind of anal....

    James Bond does it.

    Good enough for me.

    Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Geek wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Chivalry towards all human beings because that's just the right thing to do FTW

    Chivalry towards women based on out-dated ideas of how men and women should act FTL

    I'm never putting my coat over a mud puddle for you again.

    Also, no rescuing from dragons.

    Well look

    The only dragons I'm ever attacked by are 4" tall and made of yarn

    I think I can take 'em.

    Sheri on
  • Options
    TrulzTrulz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I hold the door for females, and guys if they're reasonably close. I say please and thank you after pretty everything that could possibly require them. I wipe my own ass.

    Trulz on
    I know where I came from, but where did all you zombies come from?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Arsenic7 wrote: »
    I stand when a woman approaches the table.

    I don't sit down until all the women have seated.

    That strikes me as kind of anal....

    James Bond does it.

    Good enough for me.
    NSFWish I guess
    CasinoRoyale-000798.jpg

    Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

    [Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Arsenic7 wrote: »
    I stand when a woman approaches the table.

    I don't sit down until all the women have seated.

    That strikes me as kind of anal....

    That's proper tableside manner, actually.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not much of a manners freak, but I have been appalled when I eat out.


    A man was eating spaghetti with his hands
    WHAT
    I swear to god, if you go to an Applebees in Oklahoma you will know how bad dining can get.

    Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    TrulzTrulz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I also freak out about my table manners. My sister used to make fun of the way I ate all the time and now I have a lot of trouble eating in front of people I'm not familiar with. I basically starve at every Prom/Homecoming/Big Group dinner ever. "Oh no, it's good. I'm just not very hungry."

    Trulz on
    I know where I came from, but where did all you zombies come from?
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Goddamnit will people ever learn

    spoiling it does not prevent it from loading into the cache
    But it shows no dong or the like


    Italics

    Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.