As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking Thread] Burning questions and searing remarks

1818283848587»

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Question: anybody here made shoyu chicken? I've a Korean variant and I'm torn about an issue. I used to not sear the chicken at all, so no malliard anything. I then started to sear unseasoned chicken before braising it in the soy marinade, and I'm not sure that helped. Now, I saw a video that sears after the braising instead, and I'm worried that the honey I put into the sauce will burn and mess up the pan. Should I put the honey in after cooking, I wonder?

I've made some similar dishes. I am wondering how much honey is being added if you're worried about it burning. Usually in similar marinades for things like galbi the marinade is pretty watery (due to all the water in the wet ingredients) and therefore easy to blot off the meat before searing. Admittedly the ones I've worked with involve adding brown sugar usually instead of honey. There is the option of only adding the honey into the sauce after the meat is removed and you're just reducing the liquid down to thicken the sauce.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    I come to you, hat in hand, head held low, with the dumbest fucking question I've ever had to ask. How do you stir stuff into pasta, especially long noodles? Like a sauce that's got little bit of sausage or veggies in it. The stuff always ends up in big clumps on the bottom or outside the pasta, no matter how much I stir and separate and fold and toss.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 13
    I come to you, hat in hand, head held low, with the dumbest fucking question I've ever had to ask. How do you stir stuff into pasta, especially long noodles? Like a sauce that's got little bit of sausage or veggies in it. The stuff always ends up in big clumps on the bottom or outside the pasta, no matter how much I stir and separate and fold and toss.

Why are you trying to stir chunky things in spaghetti, rather than the infinitely more aesthetic serving it in top?

Generally the souce would need to be relatively smooth and ideally creamy for that to work well, and there should be no oil or anything on the pasta.

Finishing the pasta in a pan/pot with the sauce for a little bit can help stuff stick to it more, and gets some flavor into the pasta.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 13

Two things people don't do when they cook pasta

1. Completely drain the noodles. I mean picking up the strainer and, not shaking it but letting it drop and quickly raising it in order to use gravity to pull the water out. You'd be surprised how much water stays in there.
    2. Sauteeing the noodles and the sauce until there's no more liquidy stuff. You can check this by using a spatula to push the noodles back to see if the sauce "seeps" back in the void like water. You want it to be fairly high heat and for it to go until you've got "slow bubbles."

Legitimately, I find simply drained and sauced pasta to be uncooked. Water is the enemy of sauce and its contents sticking to noodles.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Adding reserved pasta water back into the sauce will help it to coat the noodles. Talking about a cup or more, depending on how you want the sauce consistency to be. Also, I will pour a little EVOO to a sauced dish for a little more unctuousness. Plus add a pat of butter to the sauce when it's done.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

If you’re finishing the pasta in the sauce (you should try this) you can use tongs to mix things better when serving. Thats what I do usually for long noodles like spaghetti. Tube noodles like rigatoni need a thicker sauce to coat and absorb. Also the amount of noodles matter - trying to mix a pound of spaghetti and sauce is a massive amount of work and you have more of a chance to have separation of the larger chunks of your sauce.

Depending on what noodle you’re cooking, something like spaghetti needs only enough water to cover it to cook well. That makes the pasta water very starchy which also can be used to help sauce adhere.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    To make it clear, I'm not talking about the sauce itself. Like I made a sausage and mushroom in red wine sauce last night and the sauce stuck to the pasta just fine. But all the little chopped bits of mushroom and sausage wouldn't mix with the fettuccini. They just kept moving to the edge of the pot. This was a Milk Street Tuesday Night recipe, which said to drain the pasta, put it back in the pot, and pour the sauce and sundry over the top.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    To make it clear, I'm not talking about the sauce itself. Like I made a sausage and mushroom in red wine sauce last night and the sauce stuck to the pasta just fine. But all the little chopped bits of mushroom and sausage wouldn't mix with the fettuccini. They just kept moving to the edge of the pot. This was a Milk Street Tuesday Night recipe, which said to drain the pasta, put it back in the pot, and pour the sauce and sundry over the top.

I couldn't look up the recipe, but is this a red wine reduction or a red wine sauce that uses veggies to bulk it up (like a ragu)?

• Options

I couldn't look up the recipe, but is this a red wine reduction or a red wine sauce that uses veggies to bulk it up (like a ragu)?

Pretty much a ragu, just with mushrooms instead of soffritto.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

If the chunks are chunky enough I don't think that's avoidable. You just gotta portion it onto plates appropriately. Grab some from the middle and enough toppings from the edges.

• Options

Pretty much a ragu, just with mushrooms instead of soffritto.

Gots to make the sauce tacky enough, get the water out. Water is the enemy!

I tend to blend my sauces (except for the mushrooms and meat) so this generally isn't too much of a problem.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    So you've got a saucepan full of sauce and a boiling pot with drained cooked noodles?

How about taking a ladle and pressing it into the sauce so only mostly uniform liquid goes into it and the chunks stay out. Then, mix the liquid sauce into the pasta pot to finish it. Then, plate the coated pasta. Then, add the rest of the concentrated, chunky sauce on top.

You get the flavor of the sauce throughout the noodle and all the solids are above the noodles when you eat it (rather than below), making it easier to scoop up with the fork and spoon technique. What do you think?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    spaghetti noodles are a terrible form factor for "noodle dish" type pasta meals - the kind where the noodles serve as a base for a bunch of other ingredients to mingle into. other pasta shapes that more closely match the shape of the vegetables/mushrooms/meat will result in less separation and fewer bites of just sauced noodle

if you're just talking about classic pasta sauce having the sauce itself cling but the meat/tomato chunks staying separate yeah that's a typical issue with the long skinny noodle pasta shape. you. can spoon sauce over the noodles in the serving dish in the traditional American style but that kind of sucks, you never really get it incorporated and there's splatter at the table. and spaghetti is a fun and ubiquitous pasta shape, subbing it out could alienate picky eaters or require a special ingredient purchase

try using both approaches: stir some of your sauce into the properly cooked spaghetti (the advice above re: pasta water etc is all great) in the pan, and reserve some more for plating. if you have a loose ish sauce use the more liquid contents for stirring in and the chunkier bits over top in the bowl / on the plate. you should end up with noodles that are sauced well enough, while leaving the solid bits right where you and your diners can do the job of getting the right blend of sauce/noodle with your fork, instead of leaving it hidden at the bottom. plus that style of plating done well looks great.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    I still cannot abide chunky sauce for spaghet. It's not a mouthfeel thing or what have you, I am a big fan of veggie textures especially in sauces, but for long Italian styled noodles I find the form factor just doesn't work with chunky sauces. Noodles like shells work great.

When I do spaghetti, my sauce is blended completely. The fennel, red pepper flakes, carrot, onion, sweet pepper, tomato, red wine, and mushroom juice from sauteeing them all spend a few minutes getting smoothed out. I use ground sausage instead of choppped links. I spent a lot of time reducing the water out of it, like I get double the bone broth and reduce it by half, I judge the sauce as being done when the volume of it is reduced by an inch in my pot (8 quart) and tapping the side of the pot with a wooden spoon gets no visible vibrations in the sauce. When the sauce is done, I cook the noodles per meal as opposed to all at once, let them drain fully, and sautee the noodles, sauce, freshy hand-ripped and crushed basil leaves, and a little bit of grated parmigiano reggiano.

The noodles are always, always coated fully and I never have a problem getting nice chunks of sausage and mushroom.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Trimmed the first brisket of the year. Going to smoke it overnight and into the morning. Should give it plenty of time to rest before dinner.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Godspeed, little brisket

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    And it came out perfect. Now I have to wait 5 hours to eat it. The house smells delicious while it rests in the oven.

ahe8twrvj7uf.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

Two things people don't do when they cook pasta

1. Completely drain the noodles. I mean picking up the strainer and, not shaking it but letting it drop and quickly raising it in order to use gravity to pull the water out. You'd be surprised how much water stays in there.
    2. Sauteeing the noodles and the sauce until there's no more liquidy stuff. You can check this by using a spatula to push the noodles back to see if the sauce "seeps" back in the void like water. You want it to be fairly high heat and for it to go until you've got "slow bubbles."

Legitimately, I find simply drained and sauced pasta to be uncooked. Water is the enemy of sauce and its contents sticking to noodles.

Disagree on this. Pasta is not a finished dish until reserved pasta water is used to help emulsify the sauce so that it perfectly coats the noodle. I often add up to 1 cup of the pasta water back into the sauce and noodles to let it finish. That's why recipes often specify to pull the pasta from the water when it's very al dente, so that there is time for the noodle to absorb water from the sauce as well as let the sauce emulsify with the starchy pasta water. It's basically impossible to make classic pasta dishes like cacio e pepe and aglio e olio without significant amounts of pasta water. The key is not to boil your pasta in too much water. Ideally you want to just enough water to barely cover the noodles, otherwise the water won't get starchy enough.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    Look at these stupid pieces of shit. These utter clowns. These dumb assholes. These stupid bitches.
    xyesoBm.jpg

They have no idea what disrespectful, degenerate things I'm going to do to them.
    jS140QL.jpg

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ahhhhhh

Passover starts tomorrow night

I AM NOT PREPARED

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited 4:41AM
    Just made this for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogHmCt9RWpU

Obviously, you never make something just right the first time. I should have steamed the broccoli longer. I should have cooked the garlic in the olive oil a little bit longer.

But god damn. This is an instant, easy to make staple. Like he says in the video, it ends up being mostly a cheap plate of healthy veggies, healthy fats, and a bit of carbs. But I don't know what it is about this that makes the pepper really stand out, but it does. I can't wait to perfect it by making it twice a week.

(edit: for people who hate clickbait, the "trick" is only using a minor amount of olive oil to cook your garlic, but the majority of olive oil should be added right before serving for maximum flavor)

Raiden333 at
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.