As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [YouTube thread] steamed hams is banned

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    John K's older work looks great because companies were still willing to give him millions of dollars to produce minutes of content with no time schedule. Any asshole can make animation look good under those circumstances. In fact most assholes could make it look better and deliver it on time.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    In which a cute gal goes wanders around a con with a melodica, playing songs relevant to whatever cosplayers she's stalking. :tell_me_more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o_fyuv7WT0

This has always struck me as a violation of the ideal of "cosplay is not consent". Not every cosplayer is going to want their own soundtrack.

What? How?

Isn't cosplay the celebration of a love for a show/anime/game by costuming as something from it? If they love the show/anime/game, they probably love the music and see it as enhancing the joy and fun to have both the costume and the song. It doesn't look like she followed anyone for long enough that it would be considered ill-intent to irritate them or something.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    that video is awesome and I love how she does it until they notice and then she's so embarrassed that she immediately bolts, right as they're like "hey that's cool oh wait oh ok bye"

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    In which a cute gal goes wanders around a con with a melodica, playing songs relevant to whatever cosplayers she's stalking. :tell_me_more:

This has always struck me as a violation of the ideal of "cosplay is not consent". Not every cosplayer is going to want their own soundtrack.

What? How?

Isn't cosplay the celebration of a love for a show/anime/game by costuming as something from it? If they love the show/anime/game, they probably love the music and see it as enhancing the joy and fun to have both the costume and the song. It doesn't look like she followed anyone for long enough that it would be considered ill-intent to irritate them or something.

She's basically hijacking people into her performance without their consent. And no, I would not assume that being in costume means that someone is automatically cool with having someone following them around and playing music while filming them - this is the very attitude that is the reason for "cosplay is not consent" becoming A Thing.

I'm not saying "don't do it", I'm saying "ask permission first".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

What? How?

She's basically hijacking people into her performance without their consent. And no, I would not assume that being in costume means that someone is automatically cool with having someone following them around and playing music while filming them - this is the very attitude that is the reason for "cosplay is not consent" becoming A Thing.

I'm not saying "don't do it", I'm saying "ask permission first".

I mean like, the worst case scenario here is mild and brief annoyance with someone in a public setting.

I don't think it's very useful to the discussion to be using terms that are normally used in the context of sexual assault.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I mean, generic filming at conventions is consent already granted by walking in. I've seen enough 8 foot high "entering this building means filming and likeness rights are waived" blah blah blah signs in my time at conventions to know how that works.

obviously it's possible to do this in a way that is harassment, but i don't think playing 2 bars of a song and then running away on a crowded show floor qualifies even a little.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Honestly. If this is "harassment" it's the most flattering and benign kind. Someone doing a brief video of someone else recognizing your costume and playing a themesong related to that costume.
    It's not stalking, it's not sexual harassment (of any kind!), it's not intimidation or "long term disruption", the filming sequence is not done in secret OR with any intent to embarass anyone.

IMHO this is a case where consent should be asked for after the sequence is done, because 90% of the fun (for everyone) is the surprise.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I've done almost exactly what that young lady is doing. The only difference was that I played music/remixes out of my proton pack instead of an actual instrument (also, I suppose I didn't film it either) and I have yet to find a cosplayer that found that attention to be unwanted. It's just people celebrating a thing they like. It's not like the person filming is doing a slow pan over their butt or an interviewer interrupting anyone in the middle of something and demanding attention/physical interaction.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'd listen to any cosplayer who said "I don't like that, please don't do it" and believe their wishes should be respected, but I think getting offended in advance on behalf of a hypothetical person who might hate it is probably not the best use of time

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    John K's older work looks great because companies were still willing to give him millions of dollars to produce minutes of content with no time schedule. Any asshole can make animation look good under those circumstances. In fact most assholes could make it look better and deliver it on time.

For instance one of these assholes is Bob Camp.

He ran Games Production which animated Ren and Stimpy after John K was fired from the show. Interviewed later about it, John K commented that handing animation to another studio was like "giving it to your milkman to animate." So in response the Games Production's card in the end credits of Ren and Stimpy was this:

latest?cb=20130429020121

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Hey kids! Let's get pedantic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssCy4q5QvEU

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    if you're going to be pedantic i don't know that "autonomous region of china" is the most correct way of referring to tibet

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    How is your life this dramatic?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'd listen to any cosplayer who said "I don't like that, please don't do it" and believe their wishes should be respected, but I think getting offended in advance on behalf of a hypothetical person who might hate it is probably not the best use of time

I think however that it might be instructive that someone can't even say "maybe you should get peoples consent before playing music at them" without getting shouted down.

And then we (as in, society at large) wonder why we can't have a constructive conversation about consent when it comes to sex.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular

I think however that it might be instructive that someone can't even say "maybe you should get peoples consent before playing music at them" without getting shouted down.

And then we (as in, society at large) wonder why we can't have a constructive conversation about consent when it comes to sex.

Can you point to any post that was not polite and respectful about disagreeing with AngelHedgie?

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

I feel like it’s because playing theme music of a character someone’s dressed up as at someone for 10 seconds is actually totally harmless

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Music isn't sex. Hasn't been since Prince died.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uGjK7lmdA4
    http://vintagegeekculture.tumblr.com/post/173012725261/defeat-the-dark-side-a-cross-promotional
    “Defeat the Dark Side,” a cross promotional advertising campaign where fast food mascots united to help fight the Battle of Naboo in 1999.
    yna0kqtcvwwh.png

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Hey kids! Let's get pedantic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssCy4q5QvEU

This is an attempt at an updated song of countries.
    https://youtu.be/kRgCCY9oCoc

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

https://youtu.be/fKLmZNnMT0A

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    new Charty Party, but supposedly worse?

New reasonable facsimile of a Chart Party?

New stats-oriented SB Nation thing with Jon Bois

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioDskqAHOrI

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

tell that to Janelle Monae

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

tell that to Young Humma ft. Flynt Flossy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt5ghXdq6Z0

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Theres a difference between being shouted down and just nobody agreeing with you.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »

I feel like it’s because playing theme music of a character someone’s dressed up as at someone for 10 seconds is actually totally harmless

I guess I thought the extremely low stakes in this case maybe ought to make it easier to have this conversation.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

This is a completely absurd comparison to make.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Joey Pants eating that steak is easily his finest moment as an actor, he made me believe that he is eating history's greatest steak

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Even if the cosplayer is bothered by it? Saying that someone dragging another person into their performance without consent is "totally harmless" isn't an argument for why it's such. Furthermore, I don't see why saying "hey, if you're looking to bring someone into your performance, the first step is to ask them if they are cool with it" is so controversial.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

This is a completely absurd comparison to make.

ok ok, consider it unmade

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Jesus fuck I would eat all of that meat in one sitting, and then sleep for a whole day afterwards.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

Even if the cosplayer is bothered by it? Saying that someone dragging another person into their performance without consent is "totally harmless" isn't an argument for why it's such. Furthermore, I don't see why saying "hey, if you're looking to bring someone into your performance, the first step is to ask them if they are cool with it" is so controversial.

Context is important.
    The performance was not disruptive to the people she was playing for and nobody objected.
    Nobody was being "dragged into" anything and the most involvement they had was someone filming their reaction to realizing the music was for them.

Proposing the content of the video or the people creating it did something wrong because of a separate hypothetical where the conditions/contexts were different or where a more serious breach of personal space, sexual objectification, or assault had occurred is likely going to encourage an equally-strong reaction to that claim.

Cosplay is a performance and these interactions all come off as entirely within the realms of appropriate interactions with said performance, speaking as someone who attends conventions in costume regularly. There's a level of consent to be seen and engaged that nobody seemed to breach.

Are there times when interaction is inappropriate? Yes. Is this an example of it? I can comfortably say that it is not, in my opinion as it seems for other people choosing to engage with the (very calm) discussion.

How is that hard to understand?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Now if you propose to ban in character Deadpool and Joker cosplayers I have some open ears.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uGjK7lmdA4
    http://vintagegeekculture.tumblr.com/post/173012725261/defeat-the-dark-side-a-cross-promotional
    “Defeat the Dark Side,” a cross promotional advertising campaign where fast food mascots united to help fight the Battle of Naboo in 1999.
    yna0kqtcvwwh.png

The hype for phantom menace was unreal

This discussion has been closed.