Options

100 Pages of [PODCAST] Thread We'll Never Get Back

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I don’t know how to spell my middle name

which has led to some LOOKS at the DMV and other government organizations

G A N G N A M S T Y L E

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The key thing I think of when I'm thinking about using unusual names is, "What do I call them?"

Like, my name is Gregory. Nobody calls me that, and nobody ever really has. Now this is partially because I dislike it, but it's also because my parents always called me Greg. It's an easy name to shorten, and it has an established shortening method, so it just happens all the time.

Now if you're looking at some more unusual names, you gotta figure out what those short names are gonna be there. Take, for instance, a name I had considered using for a child previously, Reynard. That shortens down to Rey, which is a homophone of Ray, an established name. That makes it nice and easy. But if you were to look at like, Odysseus (another name I have previously considered, let's be real), what do you do for that? Odd? That seems like a kind of cruel name to give a child, to begin with, and will definitely stick out in an environment with a number of other "normal" names.

They would definitely go by Odie, like the Garfield dog

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The key thing I think of when I'm thinking about using unusual names is, "What do I call them?"

Like, my name is Gregory. Nobody calls me that, and nobody ever really has. Now this is partially because I dislike it, but it's also because my parents always called me Greg. It's an easy name to shorten, and it has an established shortening method, so it just happens all the time.

Now if you're looking at some more unusual names, you gotta figure out what those short names are gonna be there. Take, for instance, a name I had considered using for a child previously, Reynard. That shortens down to Rey, which is a homophone of Ray, an established name. That makes it nice and easy. But if you were to look at like, Odysseus (another name I have previously considered, let's be real), what do you do for that? Odd? That seems like a kind of cruel name to give a child, to begin with, and will definitely stick out in an environment with a number of other "normal" names.

They would definitely go by Odie, like the Garfield dog

I tried to pick the least damaging nickname I could find, okay

I know Odysseus is a bad choice for multiple reasons

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    you could call them........................ dizzy? that's cute. that's just 100% sugar y'all

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    you could call them........................ dizzy? that's cute. that's just 100% sugar y'all

Only if you have touched Fuzzy

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    My real name is King K. Rool

Mori you don't tell them your real name, real names have power!

Have you not read Name of the Wind?

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

oh I know something about king k. rool
    he went to kranbrook, that's a private school!
    what's a matter, croc, you embarrassed?
    this guy's the last boss? his real name's Klarence

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    MR THREE-OH-FIVE

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

oh I know something about king k. rool
    he went to kranbrook, that's a private school!
    what's a matter, croc, you embarrassed?
    this guy's the last boss? his real name's Klarence

The K. stands for Kvothe.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    bastion doesnt fuck

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    bastion doesnt fuck

Everyone fucks

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    bastion doesnt fuck

http://bastionfucks.com/

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    bastion doesnt fuck

Everyone fucks

Boy I am not looking forward to reading that book to my kids.

• Options
    bastion doesnt fuck

Everyone fucks

Yeah that's kind of a problem in media. Not enough ace representation

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    bastion doesnt fuck

Everyone fucks

Don't be silly, sex isn't real.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    bastion doesnt fuck

Everyone fucks

What about asexual people?

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    bastion doesnt fuck

Everyone fucks

expand your definition of fuck, you prude

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    bastion doesnt fuck

Everyone fucks

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    whitebread biblical names are the most boring shit and I kinda bristle a little whenever people get mocked for naming their kids Sephiroth or Thor Pudlik.

they still have a cooler name than you.

I very strongly disagree about anyone being named Sephiroth being cool.

Also there are societal advantages to having a so-called "boring" name that you are essentially denying your kid in order to be "cool". It's not a pet it's a human being that has to live with the dumb stuff you saddle them with. Look at all the children of hippies who are bitter about being called Waterfall or whatever. A lot of people don't want that baggage.

Yeah it’s kinda scary how hard the numbers show it’s way easier to get a job if your name is John than Expelliarmus.

Especially considering if you say his name to him during the interview process, you're gonna be dealing with a cup full of coffee flying through the air, or a pen and clipboard, or whatever the fuck else he's holding.

God forbid his babysitter cancels and he has to bring his infant to the interview.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    whitebread biblical names are the most boring shit and I kinda bristle a little whenever people get mocked for naming their kids Sephiroth or Thor Pudlik.

Also there are societal advantages to having a so-called "boring" name that you are essentially denying your kid in order to be "cool". It's not a pet it's a human being that has to live with the dumb stuff you saddle them with. Look at all the children of hippies who are bitter about being called Waterfall or whatever. A lot of people don't want that baggage.

Yeah it’s kinda scary how hard the numbers show it’s way easier to get a job if your name is John than Expelliarmus.

Especially considering if you say his name to him during the interview process, you're gonna be dealing with a cup full of coffee flying through the air, or a pen and clipboard, or whatever the fuck else he's holding.

God forbid his babysitter cancels and he has to bring his infant to the interview.

funny story, I've actually gotten every opportunity in my adult life by walking into the hiring manager's office and bellowing "accio employment!!"

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

funny story, I've actually gotten every opportunity in my adult life by walking into the hiring manager's office and bellowing "accio employment!!"

listen i'm not against diversity but affirmative accion is bad for the economy and bad for the country

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DAN

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

listen i'm not against diversity but affirmative accion is bad for the economy and bad for the country

Man an exact 50/50 blend of anger and admiration is a hell of a weird sensation

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Everyone should just change their name when they turn like 10.

Everyone should get 3 free name changes and you can use two prior to turning 18

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I didn't know olly moss had an account here, neat

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Okay, I have to know: is someone eating a bowl of cereal in Episode 1 of Let’s Place?

I honestly might have been
    It seems like something I'd do

That would be extra strange because you DO say in the episode that you'd been drinking

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Okay, I have to know: is someone eating a bowl of cereal in Episode 1 of Let’s Place?

I honestly might have been
    It seems like something I'd do

That would be extra strange because you DO say in the episode that you'd been drinking

What, you've never had beereal?

• Options
    edited January 2018
    On the one hand I think both legally and socially it should be way easier and more acceptable for people to choose their own name.

On the other, I look at the various stories I wrote and handles I came up with in high school and 100% appreciate there are systems in place to prevent teen me from changing their legal name.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular

I like this because it means that instead of some kids having an embarrassing name, everyone would have an embarrassing name.

I'm like 90% sure that under this system I would have chosen "Batman Hercules" or some shit.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    If you'd allowed me to change my name in High School my name would've been fuckin'... Raven Darkshire or something.

Basically they really should have let me. I'd probably be tougher than I am now, with all the ass-kickings.

• Options
    how embarrassing will embarrassing names be when everyone has them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Charmy wrote: »

I like this because it means that instead of some kids having an embarrassing name, everyone would have an embarrassing name.

I'm like 90% sure that under this system I would have chosen "Batman Hercules" or some shit.

Right, like Dr Loki Skylizard.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    how embarrassing will embarrassing names be when everyone has them

Oh the popular kids will quickly decide which specific types of embarrassing are cool and everyone else will still be mocked mercilessly.

If there's one thing society has endless creativity for its cruelty and exclusion

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Yeah sure, Omnipotent "Bagel"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    No wait my name wouldn't be Raven

it would be Blade

much more badass

• Options
    Literally every part of my forum presence is a lie

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Wait no that's not true, I do have eyes.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    No wait my name wouldn't be Raven

it would be Blade

much more badass

p02nt1a6gng8.jpg

This discussion has been closed.