As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HALP

The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
redheadgk7.jpg

Ok guys

So I'm finally getting the hang of this tablet thing. And I'm screwing around and doodling, and ended up spending like three hours scribbling around, and this came out.

I think out of colored stuff it's the best job I've done so far (and only about my 4th or 5th real attempt at coloring something). I'm a total noob to digital painting in general. You guys are really helpful here, so if you could take this fairly poor example (and unfinished mind you, I had no idea what to do with the scabbard), and give me some general crits/tips, that would be great.

For one, I know I could ramp the contrast way, way up. I always seem to have my painting turn out this way ):

I spent too much time on the dress, when more simple strokes would have sufficed. And the scarf/head area isn't at the same contrast level as the rest is.

Anyway.

Thanks. I'll work more on it maybe and see what happens. Help a poor noob out?

EDIT: Also, any ideas on how to solve my contrast issue? I only notice it halfway in ):

[END]
The One Dark Knight on

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Those colors are too flat. There just isn't enough contrast to make the character seem three-dimensional. Since I don't really know much about colors myself, the best advice that I could offer to you at this point would be to make your darks much darker and your lights much lighter. Nothing crazy or anything, just enough so that a gradual change is present while being in start contrast to one another.

The face kinda bugs me, but i've seen the style that you draw your characers in so i'm guessing it's more of a preference than an issue. The face is a bit too small and spread out however, so watch out for that next time.

Her boobs are really bugging me. They apply to realistic proportions, but they don't really match up with the body, almost like the chest is a couple of years younger than the rest of the body. Maybe it's the face that's causing this issue; the chest says "mid teens" while her facial structures say "young woman."

That last comment is really difficult to explain, so i'm hoping you were able to get a bit of what I was trying to convey here.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yep, contrast is an issue, I mentioned that. ):

I always end up going too light for some reason.

EDIT: Also, she has no eyebrows, that might be what's bugging you. That's intentionally left that way.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just dont be afraid to slap some dark colors everywhere. A good place to start is just the background. Throw down a darker color so that it helps balance everything. After you do that, go in and do some cast shadows with a really dark and somewhat saturated cool color (like purple or something).

darkone.jpg

quick and dirty.

Also, I rotated it. For no reason at all. Mostly for shits. Possibly some giggles.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Holy bejesus Wakk. <3

Thanks, I'll stare at that paintover for like the next 30 minutes. XD

Thanks a lot, I can definitely see the improvement D:

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    asside from technique, Waks paintover also shows how important proper facial proportions are in making the form work. Or at least, proportions that are consitant with some kind of form. Just like any other media, you are going to have to commit to your forms to make your statement carry.

Bleh, no one can understand that shit- im going to try and reword:

You paintings impact is vague, but with very delibrate technique.

Waks paintover gave it consise impact, even though his technique was vague.

You will find that general knowledge will trump knowledge of specific technique. Or you may already know this and I'm coming off as a pretentious asshole, but whatevs.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I definitely know what you're talking about.

This started as a doodle with my tablet... there was no linework at all. I had to sort of slap together things on the go and stick with it, so I'm not really surprised that the proportions came off wonky.

And yeah, you're right. Overall impact is very important. That's really what I'm trying to learn - how to get impact into painting. My technique needs a bajillion years of improvement and practice as well, so I'm trying to work on that as well.

I've only ever done about 3 or 4 proper paintings on my computer.

I know some basic color theory and I have some limited experience with watercolors + acrylics, but I'm totally new to the digital painting thing. Generally this forum gives excellent advice, that's why I post here :)

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say thanks, Greatnation :)

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ok

Wakk.

I tried what you said, and drew this in 15 minutes.

practice2ey2.jpg

As opposed to 3 hours on the other, and already it looks a bajillion times better. Ramping up the contrast was amazing.

Also, I swear I chose the background myself XD

I know there's all sorts of things wrong with it, but it was 15 minutes, and I'm finally starting to see what I can do better.

Thanks Wakk, you're the bestest <3

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    One thing you should always keep in mind, also, is to use the biggest possible brush you can for any given situation. It gives it a much cleaner look instead of a scribbly one, which you can really see on the hat and darkest shadows on your last one.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?