As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Seamoth: great craft, or greatest craft?

I made one base, thanks to advice here, near the aurora and smack dab in the middle of multiple biomes which made things easy. Then made my 2nd base in the lost river junction next to 3 heat vents which made power easy. I was going to make a 3rd base in the lava zone, but once you get multiple filtration plants going and the thermal reactor for the prawn, there really isn't a need.

I think the seamoth is too good. Every other vehicle feels like a downgrade compared to it, in every capacity except for depth (which feels more like an arbitrary limit for gamey reasons than an actual deficiency of the craft).

I don't know...the PRAWN suit just made me feel like a badass. Like, I imagine it's how Ripley felt the first time she climbed into a power loader.

I... did not like the PRAWN suit. Using that thing felt terrible to me.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Riboflavin wrote: »
    Thanks folks. When I get home I'll see if I can find any labels/meters that shows current integrity on parts. It sure would be handy even if you had to scan it.

In general is it better to build multiple small bases or one big base and move it or neither? There are a few interesting areas I want to explore but the completionist in me wants to "finish" an area and move on. (Find all scannables and rare resources)

I haven't been to 200m yet, still pretty early but I'd eventually like to build a deep base so I don't have to waste air swimming to the bottom. However, I don't want to deal with a sinking base I have to constantly repair.

Actually thinking about it, I think maybe having the habitat builder equipped while in the base will show you it's integrity.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I made one base, thanks to advice here, near the aurora and smack dab in the middle of multiple biomes which made things easy. Then made my 2nd base in the lost river junction next to 3 heat vents which made power easy. I was going to make a 3rd base in the lava zone, but once you get multiple filtration plants going and the thermal reactor for the prawn, there really isn't a need.

I think the seamoth is too good. Every other vehicle feels like a downgrade compared to it, in every capacity except for depth (which feels more like an arbitrary limit for gamey reasons than an actual deficiency of the craft).

I don't know...the PRAWN suit just made me feel like a badass. Like, I imagine it's how Ripley felt the first time she climbed into a power loader.

Yeah, the PRAWN is pretty divisive. Some people love it, some hate it. I definitely fall into the love it camp.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Yeah, the PRAWN is pretty divisive. Some people love it, some hate it. I definitely fall into the love it camp.

I hated it until I got some upgrades in it, like the jump jets and grapple arm.

• Options

Grapple and drill arms were mandatory to my enjoyment of the suit, that's for sure. Having a leviathan (ghost or Reaper) charge you, grapple onto it, and start drilling into it makes you feel like an epic dragon rider. That you can't kill either is disappointing...but it's still pretty damned fun going for leviathan rodeo.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The Prawn suit's problem is that it doesn't start with the basic movement upgrades it desperately needs.

I made it to get down to the Mushroom Forest, but the joke was on me because the entrance I chose, which was hundreds of meters straight down, is waaaaaay the fuck away from the entrance you can actually walk out of with the basic Prawn. Seriously took me a good 2-3 hours to find the way out, and starting with the jets and grappling hook would've made that a lot less of a hassle.

And even though it starts moving slowly, you could (at least when I played) break the game by grapple-slinging so fast that the game couldn't render fast enough to keep up and you end up running out of level and falling into infinity. But I still liked the Seamoth more, the mobility is just so much more useful than durability.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    I apparently have godly levels of luck because I've always found a time capsule with a grappling arm in it. Every single time. One of them also had a drill arm, a rifle and an ion battery along with a message that basically amounted to "Yeehaw, Reaper riding!"

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Grapple and drill arms were mandatory to my enjoyment of the suit, that's for sure. Having a leviathan (ghost or Reaper) charge you, grapple onto it, and start drilling into it makes you feel like an epic dragon rider. That you can't kill either is disappointing...but it's still pretty damned fun going for leviathan rodeo.

You can kill them. It just takes an unbelievable amount of time.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I killed a (junior) ghost, one of the two in the Lost River, with a stasis rifle and a hot knife.
    Mostly to prove I could, but also to clear my path to the hole leading deeper.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yeah, the PRAWN is absolutely unusable without movement upgrades, and becomes incredibly useful with them.

This is why my time capsule contained both the grapple and the jumpjet booster. The jump booster is incredibly important to get anywhere anytime soon and I would have gone fucking insane without it.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Whenever I was in the PRAWN I was mostly just annoyed that I couldn't be using the Seamoth.

• Options
    See, I came around simply because of how it made me invincible. I didn't need to worry about stuff. After riding around in the extremely fragile-feeling Cyclops, the ability to just go "nah, fuck you, I'm going this way" was liberating.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Drascin wrote: »
    Yeah, the PRAWN is absolutely unusable without movement upgrades, and becomes incredibly useful with them.

This is why my time capsule contained both the grapple and the jumpjet booster. The jump booster is incredibly important to get anywhere anytime soon and I would have gone fucking insane without it.

I...uh...

I still haven't made/gotten a jump booster. And I'm at the mining Kyanite tech level stage of the game. Haven't really felt crippled, either, since I've pretty much been able to jump as high as I can, grapple onto a wall, hang there while the jets recharge, jump as high as I can, and repeat the process until I'm out of whatever hole I'm in.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    I liked the Seamoth, but once I got the Cyclops and PRAWN, I don't think I even used the Seamoth again, unless I needed to jet over somewhere real quick.

• Options
    edited June 2018

I...uh...

I still haven't made/gotten a jump booster. And I'm at the mining Kyanite tech level stage of the game. Haven't really felt crippled, either, since I've pretty much been able to jump as high as I can, grapple onto a wall, hang there while the jets recharge, jump as high as I can, and repeat the process until I'm out of whatever hole I'm in.

I on the other hand found the grapple clunky, unreliable, and prone to grabbing to the wrong thing. It only made the prawn go from "literally useless" to "highly annoying to use but it won't get you stranded with no recourse", with only jumpjets moving it to "okay, yeah, see, this is where we should have started".

Drascin on
  • Options

I...uh...

I on the other hand found the grapple clunky, unreliable, and prone to grabbing to the wrong thing. It only made the prawn go from "literally useless" to "highly annoying to use but it won't get you stranded with no recourse", with only jumpjets moving it to "okay, yeah, see, this is where we should have started".

Using the jump jets still felt very slow to me too. It was very jarring going to that kind of maneuverability from the seamoth.

I did as much of my exploration in the seamoth as possible, as I didn't like the Prawn, and I had a very very hard time seeing in the cyclops. I don't know if it was the game, my monitor settings, or my eyes, but most of my experience with piloting the cyclops was navigating purely black pre-explored areas using memory and the proximity sensor. I didn't mind piloting the cyclops that way; it was actually a lot of fun, it just wasn't a viable way to find explore or find things.

• Options

I...uh...

Using the jump jets still felt very slow to me too. It was very jarring going to that kind of maneuverability from the seamoth.

I did as much of my exploration in the seamoth as possible, as I didn't like the Prawn, and I had a very very hard time seeing in the cyclops. I don't know if it was the game, my monitor settings, or my eyes, but most of my experience with piloting the cyclops was navigating purely black pre-explored areas using memory and the proximity sensor. I didn't mind piloting the cyclops that way; it was actually a lot of fun, it just wasn't a viable way to find explore or find things.

See, "slow" was not my problem. I don't mind slow. Slow and steady works for me. I mind clunky. This is why I hated piloting the cyclops, and why I hated the prawn until the jet upgrades. I don't mind taking a while to reach places as long as getting to those places isn't a constant fight.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I still used the seamoth to jet back and forth between my aurora base and my lost river junction base. I didn't really care for the prawn at first, but once I got it fully upgraded, I could move around in it pretty well. I never really did get the hang of the cyclops though. It was just too big and unwieldy. I used it to ferry the prawn down to the inactive lava zone from my lost river base, but even that short trip was pretty annoying because of the tight corners going down by the big tree. And there were sections with even the external lights on, I couldn't see where the hell I was going. So it was always just a pain.

• Options
    I still used the seamoth to jet back and forth between my aurora base and my lost river junction base. I didn't really care for the prawn at first, but once I got it fully upgraded, I could move around in it pretty well. I never really did get the hang of the cyclops though. It was just too big and unwieldy. I used it to ferry the prawn down to the inactive lava zone from my lost river base, but even that short trip was pretty annoying because of the tight corners going down by the big tree. And there were sections with even the external lights on, I couldn't see where the hell I was going. So it was always just a pain.

I found that a lot of the 'light' the lights on the cyclops cast isn't real when you're actually inside it, but just a texture volume made to look like light or something to that effect. I had an easier time seeing with the lights off unless I was looking at something really close.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I found that a lot of the 'light' the lights on the cyclops cast isn't real when you're actually inside it, but just a texture volume made to look like light or something to that effect. I had an easier time seeing with the lights off unless I was looking at something really close.

Using the external camera views made it a hell of a lot easier for me to move the Cyclops around. 90% of my trouble in maneuvering it was that it's much taller than it feels so I would constantly bang into things, and using the screw or keel cam relieved this trouble almost completely since I could actually see what was under the ship.

• Options
    For me, maneuvering it was fun. Like driving a giant truck where bumping into stuff isn't so bad. The camera and lights helped a lot with getting it though tight spaces. My complaints are about the lack of any distance viewing of any sort. If I could see it, it was close enough that it was showing up on the proximity sensors soon. Finding things like cave entrances in deep water was just 100% impossible for me. I had to find them in the seamoth first.

• Options
    For me, maneuvering it was fun. Like driving a giant truck where bumping into stuff isn't so bad. The camera and lights helped a lot with getting it though tight spaces. My complaints are about the lack of any distance viewing of any sort. If I could see it, it was close enough that it was showing up on the proximity sensors soon. Finding things like cave entrances in deep water was just 100% impossible for me. I had to find them in the seamoth first.

The sonar upgrade is civilization.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

The sonar upgrade is civilization.

It really is.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I found piloting the Cyclops a good time, while the PRAWN was less a good time.

I was super disturbed when the Cyclops was no longer invulnerable, though. Back before they added damage to it, the Reapers still freaked me out, even though the Cyclops couldn't be damaged.

When I read the update that added the damage model, I felt a chill.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Yeah, I found piloting the Cyclops a good time, while the PRAWN was less a good time.

I was super disturbed when the Cyclops was no longer invulnerable, though. Back before they added damage to it, the Reapers still freaked me out, even though the Cyclops couldn't be damaged.

Yeah, it doesn't take a reaper long to wreck it, so as soon as I hear them, I kill everything and sit in darkness crapping myself.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Nova_C wrote: »

Yeah, it doesn't take a reaper long to wreck it, so as soon as I hear them, I kill everything and sit in darkness crapping myself.

And when the brown alert klaxons really start blaring, that's when I kick out a MOSS and hit emergency speed to GTFOutta dodge.

EDIT - I still remember the time I accidentally wandered into the Dead Zone for a couple minutes (which means another couple to get back out). Had to get a change of undies after that one.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    You know you're in deep shit when you jam the engines to full and they catch on fire and you just go "on-fire is fine as long as they keep running".

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    You know you're in deep shit when you jam the engines to full and they catch on fire and you just go "on-fire is fine as long as they keep running".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFm2Sk6tBks

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I have built the majestic Prawn suit. Now like a wild Gazelle I shall prance upon the depths that mocked me prior. I am all powerful. I am infinite.
    WTF has me Oh crap! How much damage does that thing do? Run away run away!

-My first experience in the Prawn suit.

So how useful are decoys? I've never built one but i have the blueprint.

Also a quick question about the scanner room. I built a base on the shore with one half hanging over the water with a deeeeeeeeeep dropoff. I built that side down.
    My scanner room is about 40m down but the floor is maybe 400-500m. The scanner room has a limited radius but does it have a limited depth? Do I need to build it deeper to have it reach the floor? It seems to only find stuff stuck to the cliff wall.

Also so you can laugh at me I can't get my Prawn suit back to base without a long long trek across the ocean floor.

• Options
    I have built the majestic Prawn suit. Now like a wild Gazelle I shall prance upon the depths that mocked me prior. I am all powerful. I am infinite.
    WTF has me Oh crap! How much damage does that thing do? Run away run away!

-My first experience in the Prawn suit.

So how useful are decoys? I've never built one but i have the blueprint.

Also a quick question about the scanner room. I built a base on the shore with one half hanging over the water with a deeeeeeeeeep dropoff. I built that side down.
    My scanner room is about 40m down but the floor is maybe 400-500m. The scanner room has a limited radius but does it have a limited depth? Do I need to build it deeper to have it reach the floor? It seems to only find stuff stuck to the cliff wall.

Also so you can laugh at me I can't get my Prawn suit back to base without a long long trek across the ocean floor.

There's a vehicle that can carry the PRAWN around - consider building that one.

Depth is treated the same as distance for the scanner.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I just started watching the Neebs stuff.

It is.. weird.. watching a lets play that has production value.

Like the audio filter over his voice when he is in the water vs in a base, the interstitials when they cut travel time..

I am impressed.

• Options
    [/quote]

Depth is treated the same as distance for the scanner.[/quote]

I don't have all the blueprints. I was hoping the Prawn suit would help me with that.

Also about the scanner...........Curse you developers for thinking in 4 dimensions! May your undies always be 1 size too small.

I will probably deconstruct the scanner room and build it at the bottom of the cliff with 1 other room and a power source. Just swim up and down as need be.

Efficiency at its best. ;-)

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »

Like the audio filter over his voice when he is in the water vs in a base, the interstitials when they cut travel time..

I am impressed.

Yeah they put a LOT of work into Subnautica. I highly enjoyed it.

They do similar stuff in ARK, a bit, but not to this level.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »

I am impressed.

I discovered Neebs watching GTAV videos. Their Rage Cop series is disturbingly hilarious.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

I don't have all the blueprints. I was hoping the Prawn suit would help me with that.

Also about the scanner...........Curse you developers for thinking in 4 dimensions! May your undies always be 1 size too small.

I will probably deconstruct the scanner room and build it at the bottom of the cliff with 1 other room and a power source. Just swim up and down as need be.

You can also build straight down via pipes and ladders!

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Wouldn'ta 350 meter pipe lower the structural integrity of my base to a level that I would never recover?

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Wouldn'ta 350 meter pipe lower the structural integrity of my base to a level that I would never recover?

It'd be a little rough but you could built multipurpose rooms with lots of reinforcements to make up for it. Would require a bunch of lithium though.

• Options
    I don't think the vertical pipes reduce it all that much. In my last game I built a tube from the bottom of the red grass area to the surface and I don't remember building that much reinforcement. Certainly not rooms dedicated to it. I think I had 4 foundations on the floor and 1 or 2 at the surface, plus whatever reinforcements I built. I don't remember the total depth, but it was probably close to 300 meters. It's worth a shot. You can always just recover the materials if you think it won't work.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Yeah a long vertical shaft is great to get to the Vehicle Build thingy quickly.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Still haven't actually finished this. I know what I need to do, I'm just waiting for a less stressful period in my life to finish this because god damn does it stress me out.