As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GOTY 2017 - Vote Here! - Too late, voting closed!

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited February 2018 in Games and Technology
First off, round of applause to @Infidel for hosting this thing, I actually do very little except post the op. Vote here:

http://goty.padev.net/

Every year since 2004 @MCC has been doing a Game of the Year poll on this forum. As with previous years, there is a simple verification system in place via pm. Just follow the instructions after your vote.

There are a lot of Game of the Year polls out there, but the thing that makes this one interesting is that although most GOTY polls just give you a list of maybe five of the best-selling games from the last year, and ask you to choose your favorite; THIS poll gives you a list of EVERY game that came out in the last year (more or less) and asks you to vote for [up to] your top 20, ranked by how much you liked them. We actually wind up with a serviceable ranking of the top hundred or so games from the last year, with blockbusters, obscurities and cult hits mixed in side by side.

The poll is going to run for the next two weeks (maybe longer) to give everyone time to vote, and then the results will be posted.

Thanks everyone for the help with this poll! @Infidel is doing all the funky technical script and hosting business. @Mcc set all this up originally and kindly passed it on for us to use. And full credit to all you guys that chipped in and tidied up my Wikipedia sourced list to come up with all the nominations. All credit goes to you, all mistakes are mine. Also that crazy game name that starts "Near My Sins" and is a ridiculous number of characters long has been shortened to "Near My Sins // Awaken Thy Blood [newline] (PC)", appreciate this probably isn't its correct shortened name, someone did post the correct one but I'd already passed on the list so t that's what it gets for being awkward.

If you feel like using this thread to post how you voted, the last page of the poll script spits out what you voted for.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Much as I didn't play it, I love that Starfox 2 (SNES) is on the list.

To get things started, here is my list. Probably won't match up with most others, but I didn't actually play that many games this year. A four year old is very demanding on time:
    1. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series (PC, PS4, XBO, Mobile)
    3. Injustice 2 (PS4, XBO)
    4. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    5. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC, PS4)
    6. Mortal Blitz (PSVR)
    7. Friday The 13th: The Game (PC, PS4, XBO)
    8. Little Nightmares (PC, PS4, XBO)
    9. That's You! (PS4)
    10. Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together! (NS)
    11. Farpoint (PSVR)
    12. Nidhogg 2 (PC, PS4)
    13. Danger Zone (PS4, PC)
    14. Statik (PSVR)

And yes, I did really enjoy Mortal Blitz that much. It's a total budget game but that and Superhot really grabbed me in VR. Superhot would have been my GOTY but it was out last year.

This list may change before the end of the voting window if I squeeze any other games in; going through the list reminded me how much I haven't played yet! Don't forget if you make a mistake or play a game in the next two weeks you can vote again. Your previous vote will be over-written.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Holy crap I had a hard time putting some games above others this year. The middle of the pack was the hardest to sort out. I'm so sorry Hollow and Specter Knight, and Sonic, I adore you all I swear.
    1. Nier: Automata (PC, PS4)
    2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth (3DS)
    3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
    4. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
    5. Hollow Knight (PC)
    6. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (3DS, NS, PC, PS3, PS4, PSVITA, WIIU, X360, XBO)
    7. Sonic Mania (PC, NS, PS4, XBO)
    8. The Mummy Demastered (PC, NS, PS4, XBO)
    9. The Jackbox Party Pack 4 (PC, PS4, XBO, NS, Mobile)
    10. West of Loathing (PC)
    11. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (Mobile)

Edit - By the way West of Loathing I kinda put down and forgot about. Everything up to that point I liked plenty. Animal Crossing is the one game on my list that I did not enjoy.

Henroid on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Ooh, was The Mummy Remastered good? I've been debating grabbing it on Switch. I do like a good Metroidvania.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Ooh, was The Mummy Remastered good? I've been debating grabbing it on Switch. I do like a good Metroidvania.
    It's shockingly a good game. Not omggreat, it's just good. A lot of my view has to do with it being THE officially licensed game for a bad movie, and yet the game is came out better. Plus, no Tom Cruise.

Edit - The verification thing seems to be working fine by the way. I gave it a few minutes after I sent the PM to refresh just to be sure I didn't rush / break anything. Thank you everyone who set this up, I love seeing the results.

Henroid on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Much as I didn't play it, I love that Starfox 2 (SNES) is on the list.

I had to update my validator and was like WTF when I saw the MSX game. :lol:

OrokosPA.png
    And just FYI, the validator checks its PMs every minute so it should take no more than that usually. :+1:

OrokosPA.png
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    My list is eh, whatever, here it is:
    1. Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy (Mobile, PC)
    2. Destiny 2 (PC, PS4, XBO)
    3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
    4. Absolver (PC, PS4)

But the important thing is OMIGOSH THE SNES BUBSY IS ON STEAM AND NOBODY TOLD ME.

ss_e0b70d0079cc518f179fd93e4b2516c9394e2b41.jpg?t=1511227725

Heck yes, into the cart you go.

(I suspect it'll feel like hot garbage without an SNES style controller, but still.)

Getting Over It is one of the most brilliant games created. I wish I'd played it so I could have it on my list.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
    2. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)
    4. Splatoon 2 (NS)
    5. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    6. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
    7. Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile)
    8. Fire Emblem Warriors (NS, 3DS)
    9. Doki Doki Literature Club! (PC)
    10. Arms (NS)
    11. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (NS)
    12. Layton's Mystery Journey (3DS)

Well, there's my list. Gonna put some more detailed thoughts on each game in spoiler tags:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
    I mean, what really needs to be said about this game at this point? It's quite simply one of the best games of all time. The pure sense of fun I had over the 150 hours I played it was something that doesn't come around often. Absolutely magical.
    Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    I actually prefer the more linear, course-based 3D Mario games like 3D World and Galaxy, so the fact that Odyssey is #2 on my list is a testament to how great it is. This game is just all-around delightful. Plus, I actually teared up during A Traditional Festival. When a fucking Mario game makes you cry, you know it's a good one.
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)
    While I didn't like it quite as much as the first one (admittedly a steep hurdle since that is one of my top 10 favorite games of all time), XC 2 is still a damn fine JRPG. In terms of its audio-visual performance, it doesn't get much better than this game. Beautiful vistas, great character designs, a phenomenal soundtrack a great (Japanese) voice-acting. The story and characters were good, but fell a little short of the first one, in my opinion.
    Splatoon 2 (NS)
    A really solid follow-up to the first game. No huge innovations, but that wasn't really needed. It's more Splatoon, and that's all I wanted. Also, Salmon Run is just fantastic. I still didn't put as much time into it as I wanted to though because there were just too many games coming out last year.
    Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    It was a pretty long wait for P5, but it was definitely worth it. It couldn't be more different from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but both are really solid entries in the JRPG genre. P5 wasn't quite as good as Persona 4, but it got damn close. The game got style in spades and the non-randomized dungeons were a lot of tun to traverse. Unfortunately the English localization wasn't all that great. Also, I felt like the game dragged on too much at the end, and the payoff wasn't quite worth it.
    Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
    Welcome to the Fire Emblem part of my GOTY list! It was a good year to be a FE fan. I felt like they did a good job with porting FE2 to a modern system and presenting it to a modern audience. Parts of it definitely archaic and outdated, like the map design, but overall this is just a really solid, if different, Fire Emblem game.
    Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile)
    Heroes ended up being pretty much exactly what I expected and wanted from a mobile Fire Emblem game. Simplified gameplay featuring characters from all over the series. I really have to commend Intelligent Systems for their work on this one - they continuously release new content at a steady pace, and most of all, they are incredibly receptive to feedback. I've played quite a few mobile games over the last couple of years and none of them can match Heroes in that regard.
    Fire Emblem Warriors (NS, 3DS)
    Hyrule Warriors was one of my favorite (and most-played) games of the last couple of years, so as a huge Fire Emblem fan, I was really looking forward to Fire Emblem Warriors. It's a great game, but is sadly not quite as good as Hyrule Warriors, mostly because about half of its character roster are clones. Compared to Hyrule Warriors, which had none, that's a huge bummer. The movesets themselves also weren't quite as inventive and creative. Hopefully there'll be a sequel so they can improve on that aspect of it.
    Doki Doki Literature Club! (PC)
    Man, what the fuck. I wasn't quite sure where to place this on my list because I wasn't sure how much I actually enjoyed. Either way, props to the creator for creating a really unique experience. Also: Natsuki best girl, fite me irl
    Arms (NS)
    Not having enough time to play games was a problem I had all throughout 2017, but Arms suffered the most from it. It came out right after I started my new job, and only a month before Splatoon 2, so there was not a whole lot of time I would've been able to invest in it to begin with. Still, I had fun with it - the general concept of the game is great, and I hope they expand upon it in the inevitable sequel.
    Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (NS)
    I liked this game, though not quite as much as most other people I think. The main part of the game, the battles, were tons of fun - but unfortunately Ubisoft decided to pad out the game's playtime by making you do tons of boring push-the-block puzzle between them. Also, for some reason there was sadly very little interaction between the various members of your party. Like, why didn't Luigi and Rabbid Luigi do some weird and crazy shit? Still, the core gameplay was solid, and I hope they improve on it in a potential sequel.
    Layton's Mystery Journey (3DS)
    I haven't actually finished this one yet, only played about 5 hours or so. It's fine, but so far it hasn't really been grabbing me as much as previous Layton games. I need to get back into it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    1. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
    2. Nioh (PC, PS4)
    3. Assassin's Creed: Origins (PC, PS4, XBO)
    4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
    5. Destiny 2 (PC, PS4, XBO)
    6. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    7. Total War: Warhammer II (PC)
    8. Project CARS 2 (PC, PS4, XBO)
    9. Tekken 7 (PC, PS4, XBO)
    10. Guilty Gear Xrd Rev.2 (PS4, PS3)
    11. Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (PC, PS4, XBO)
    12. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands (PC, PS4, XBO)
    13. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    14. Cosmic Star Heroine (PC, PS4)
    15. Injustice 2 (PS4, XBO)
    16. Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC, PS4, XBO)

That's actually everything that came out last year that I've actually played. I forgot how many games I didn't even touch from last year until I was looking at the list.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I guess I played almost no new games this year. The ones I played, though, were pretty amazing.
    1. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (PC, PS4, XBO)
    2. Prey (PC, PS4, XBO)
    3. Tacoma (PC, XBO)
    4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC, PS4, XBO)
    5. It is as if you were doing work (PC)
    6. Universal Paperclips (Mobile, PC)

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    voting done
    1. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    2. SteamWorld Dig 2 (PS4, PSVITA, PC, NS)
    3. Slime Rancher (PC, XBO)
    4. Splatoon 2 (NS)
    5. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (NS)
    6. Butterfly Soup (PC)
    7. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
    8. Reigns: Her Majesty (Mobile)
    9. Opus Magnum (PC)
    10. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (Mobile)
    11. Serial Cleaner (PC, PS4, XBO, NS)
    12. HQ Trivia (Mobile)
    13. Star Fox 2 (SNES)
    14. Pokémon: Magikarp Jump (Mobile)

as always, there are plenty of games that definitely would have made the cut if I had got to them, but this year there was a surprising number of games I did play that weren't even worth naming as number 15 or whatever. Mass Effect and Zelda chief among them

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I've been pretty damn lazy on new games this year. I guess most of them were pretty long though!
    1. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    2. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth (3DS)
    3. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
    4. Tales of Berseria (PC, PS4)
    5. Destiny 2 (PC, PS4, XBO)
    6. Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC, PS4, XBO)

I actually had a pretty hard time sorting this list, since I really enjoyed all the games. But Persona 5 was fantastic, and EO5 was the pinnacle of the series which puts them at the top.

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    2. Tales of Berseria (PC, PS4)
    3. Opus Magnum (PC)
    4. Nioh (PC, PS4)
    5. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)
    6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
    7. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
    8. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
    9. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    10. Fire Emblem Warriors (NS, 3DS)
    11. Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC, PS4, XBO)

Top 4 are all pretty close together but then towards the end there is a huge drop off. For what its worth I enjoyed Andromeda, just not a very much.

Feel pretty bad about not getting around to either Cosmic Star Heroine and Resident Evil 7 (stupid backlog), I'm certain either would easily fit in the upper half of that list. Total Warhammer II probably as well, just need to finish up with Total Warhammer first.

On the other hand I played a good bit of Endless Space 2 but I didn't see it on the selection list. That would have fit right under Metroid.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Wow, every year it seems like I play less and less of that year's games. The games of 2015-2016? Got ya covered. 2017, not so much.
    2. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Are you supposed to get a confirmation via PM? I voted over an hour ago and haven't gotten one yet. After refreshing it, the voting page says "Thank you for voting, Maz-.", so does that mean my vote has been counted?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Are you supposed to get a confirmation via PM? I voted over an hour ago and haven't gotten one yet. After refreshing it, the voting page says "Thank you for voting, Maz-.", so does that mean my vote has been counted?
    I believe so, yes.

I also didn't notice Universal Paperclips was on there, that was another fantastic game (until I accidentally closed the tab on my phone and lost everything).

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Honestly, only two games really blew me away last year: Prey, and Hollow Knight.

I would vote for Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City but I suppose it wasn't long enough to go on there.

Maz- wrote: »

Correct, you won't get any response by PM. The page will acknowledge you by your forum name, which confirms you're good to go.

OrokosPA.png
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Played a lot more, but my list that I can surely number at least is:
    1. Tales of Berseria
    2. Horizon Zero Dawn
    3. Prey
    4. Persona 5 (which I forgot putting into the voter just now, whoops, but oh well)
    5. Nier: Automata

Qanamil on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Given how few games I played I could argue that I need to play more, or I could be happy that the few I played took up so much of the year. BotW, AC:O, and F13th were pretty much my year in gaming.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WIIU)
    2. Assassin's Creed: Origins (PS4)
    3. Friday The 13th: The Game (PS4)
    4. Star Wars Battlefront II (PS4)
    5. Lego Worlds (PS4)
    6. Pinball FX 3 (PS4)
    7. Call of Duty: WWII (PS4)

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dead Cells isn't on the list. I get why it's not, but it feels wrong.

Alex Navarro said it best, I think. The idea that only games that hit 1.0 this year can be considered feels goofy in a year that includes 1.0 releases of Mass Effect: Andromeda and Battlefront II.

1. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
    3. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    4. Torment: Tides of Numenera (PC, PS4, XBO)
    5. Battle Chef Brigade (PC, NS)
    6. Reigns: Her Majesty (Mobile)
    7. Nier: Automata (PC, PS4)
    8. Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS, PS4)
    9. Golf Story (NS)
    10. Blaster Master Zero (3DS, NS)
    11. Destiny 2 (PC, PS4, XBO)

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    2. Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile)
    3. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    4. Nier: Automata (PC, PS4)
    5. Doki Doki Literature Club! (PC)
    6. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    7. Fire Emblem Warriors (NS, 3DS)
    8. Splatoon 2 (NS)
    9. Kingdoms and Castles (PC)
    10. Star Fox 2 (SNES)
    11. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
    12. Yooka-Laylee (NS, PC, PS4, XBO)
    13. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth (3DS)
    14. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (Mobile)
    15. Hidden Agenda (PS4)
    16. Creativerse (PC)
    17. Dream Daddy (PC)
    18. Yakuza 0 (PS4)

I really wish I could have put EO5 higher, but I didn't get around to playing much of it yet.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I deleted my games played in 2017 list so I don't have more than my top 10, but i'm still happy with it even with the games i've played since I made it.
    2. Hollow Knight (PC)
    3. Night in the Woods (PC, PS4)
    4. Prey (PC, PS4, XBO)
    5. Vikings - Wolves of Midgard (PC, PS4, XBO)
    7. Battle Chasers: Nightwar (PC, PS4, XBO)
    8. Sundered (PC, PS4)
    9. SteamWorld Dig 2 (PS4, PSVITA, PC, NS)
    10. Heat Signature (PC)

Replaying Night in the Woods now, to see what the weird autumn update added. Dang that game is just so fucking good.

I really wish I could have put EO5 higher, but I didn't get around to playing much of it yet.
    It's a breath of fresh air for the series as far as the dungeon exploration aspect goes. I was also pleased that aside from one of the post-game bosses there were no repeats of enemies from past games. It was original designs from the ground up.

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Geez, I play less and less new games every year. I kept seeing names on the list that I'd heard of and wanted to try, but couldn't afford to. I need to win the lottery or something.
    2. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
    3. Nioh (PC, PS4)
    4. Pyre (PC, PS4)
    5. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    6. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (3DS, NS, PC, PS3, PS4, PSVITA, WIIU, X360, XBO)
    7. Doki Doki Literature Club! (PC)
    8. Butterfly Soup (PC)
    9. Has-Been Heroes (PC, NS, PS4, XBO)
    10. Cosmic Star Heroine (PC, PS4)

Etiowsa wrote: »
    Geez, I play less and less new games every year. I kept seeing names on the list that I'd heard of and wanted to try, but couldn't afford to. I need to win the lottery or something.
    I ended up being the other way around. 2017 was the first year I played as many new games as I have out of any year in my life. Usually I'd get a small handful, this time I made it to about a dozen.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I personally didn't like it much at all, so YMMV.

Also, top games:
    1. Pyre (PC, PS4)
    2. Night in the Woods (PC, PS4)
    3. Rakuen (PC)
    4. Doki Doki Literature Club! (PC)
    5. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands (PC, PS4, XBO)
    6. Life Is Strange: Before the Storm (PC, PS4, XBO)
    7. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC, PS4, XBO)
    8. Dirt 4 (PC, PS4, XBO)
    9. Prey (PC, PS4, XBO)
    10. Finding Paradise (PC)
    11. What Remains of Edith Finch (PC, PS4, XBO)
    12. Tacoma (PC, XBO)
    13. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC, PS4)
    14. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
    15. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone (PS4)
    16. Battle Chef Brigade (PC, NS)
    17. Subsurface Circular (PC, Mobile)

Didn't really play much from last year. My Steam and PS4 backlog just from last year is too big >.<
    Left off Mummy Demastered and Cosmic Star Heroine from last year since I bounced off of both of them.

Stabbity_Style.png
    If you averaged a new game a month I'd call that plenty to say you've played a lot. Even if you didn't finish all those games.

Times is hard for the monies, ya know?

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    It's a breath of fresh air for the series as far as the dungeon exploration aspect goes. I was also pleased that aside from one of the post-game bosses there were no repeats of enemies from past games. It was original designs from the ground up.

No enemy repeats? That's pretty incredible. I've played the demo but didn't get the game till way later, so it killed my momentum in regards to actually playing the game. I need to get on that soon.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hey @Mr_Grinch do you realize that PUBG isn’t on the list of games for some reason?

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    2. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
    3. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
    5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
    6. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (NS)
    7. Assassin's Creed: Origins (PC, PS4, XBO)
    8. SteamWorld Dig 2 (PS4, PSVITA, PC, NS)
    9. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    10. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC, PS4, XBO)

My ACTUAL #2 game is Stardew Valley on Switch, but apparently I can't choose that

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I would have put Disgaea 5 on the list (at #1), had it been eligible. I think my wife and I combined to put nearly 300 hours on that game. Overcooked was another port i played that was great. The rest of my 2017 gaming time was spent on Civilization 6, Bravely Default, and failing at Rocksmith.
    3. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (NS)
    4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)
    5. Puyo Puyo Tetris (NS, PS4)
    6. Fire Emblem Warriors (NS, 3DS)
    7. Hollow Knight (PC)
    8. Picross S (NS)
    9. Doki Doki Literature Club! (PC)
    10. Sonic Mania (PC, NS, PS4, XBO)
    11. Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile)
    12. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (Mobile)

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    There were some good games this year but only one of them really hit all of the sweet spots for me.
    1. Cuphead

• SudsSuds Registered User regular
    PUBG is missing.

camo_sig2.png
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    2. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
    3. Night in the Woods (PC, PS4)
    4. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
    5. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (PC, PS4, XBO, PSVR)

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    3. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC, PS4)
    4. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (NS)
    5. Doki Doki Literature Club! (PC)
    6. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
    7. Pokémon: Magikarp Jump (Mobile)
    8. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC, PS4, XBO)
    9. The Evil Within 2 (PC, PS4, XBO)
    10. Battle Chef Brigade (PC, NS)
    11. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (PC, PS4, XBO, PSVR)
    12. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
    13. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Crossposting my list from ResetERA:

This year was dominated for me by a relatively small number of very long games. Not that I normally beat many more than ten new games a year, but in 2017 I barely touched my backlog and had to scramble near the end of the year more than usual.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - And we thought ALBW was a big departure! Even more than the abandonment of Zelda's story/dungeon structure, the shift from a rigid system of locks and keys to a physic-based system that allows open-ended puzzle solving was a shock. It works because Nintendo put the effort and thought into examining the question of open-world design from first principles, creating a Hyrule that subtly and naturally guides players across a landscape of enticing distractions, engendering a true sense of adventure and freedom. Pushing out into uncharted territory with only a distant landmark as a guide, never sure what you might encounter but confident you'll be able to overcome, I experienced a feeling of adventure that LttP and OoT inspired in me as a child, and which I feared I would never experience again.

The world feels alive and full of character. You'll run across NPCs with their own interests on their own journeys, guess at the purpose of ruins both ancient and more immediately post-apocalyptic, run across wildlife and strange phenomena only rumored beforehand, and even see what monsters do when they're not trying to kill you. The unified aesthetic of the Sheikah technology ties it all together, although it does get it a bit samey after a while. A lot of the puzzle-solving has been shunted off into shrines, leaving the dungeons to focus mostly on puzzle-box mechanics where you have to manipulate the very structures themselves; they're a bit short, but I don't mthind, as long dungeons of the past always were a bit intimidating. I like how they all tie into their respective elemental themes, too. Hyrule Castle is not only a tense, exciting place to explore, it also feels like a real place instead of a constructed set of challenges, more than any Zelda dungeon since Snowpeak Ruins. The story was somewhat slight but still emotionally affecting; I thought the voice acting, while not the best, was certainly fine.

BotW drew me in like few games ever have, and set forth a roadmap for Zelda and for the industry as a whole.

2. Super Mario Odyssey - Few games drew me in like BotW...but Odyssey is one of them. Mario is more mobile than ever, and the absolute bullshit you can do with the cap throw and dive combo is amazing; even using it to a fraction of its potential makes you feel like a platforming god. The Capture ability is a brilliant evolution of the power-up system, with tons of crazy abilities that could conceivably have formed the basis of entirely separate games.

Odyssey is touted as a return to the exploratory nature of 64 and Sunshine, but in truth it goes far beyond either of them. This game is dense with Power Moons, yet for the most part there's still enough challenge that finding them remains engaging. Like BotW even clear paths from place to place go by enough cleverly placed distractions that you'll often abandon your plans to explore something that caught your eye, almost always coming away with a reward.

It also seems that all the wacky NPCs that people have been complaining about missing from Paper Mario games have been in here all along! Gardening robots, skull people, French snails, even normally-proportioned humans in old-timey fashion are all hanging around with their own weird quirks and issues. Seeing them visiting all the other kingdoms in the post-game is honestly pretty heartwarming.

3. Persona 5 - Quite simply the best feel of any turn-based combat, ever. Dynamic menus, animations, and camera work make even the most rote random encounter feel exciting. The story is simultaneously a deeply specific response to political apathy in modern Japan and a universally applicable fable about the danger of complacency; it's a shame that its gender and sexual politics are occasionally somewhat retrograde. It also features one of the most meticulously well set-up twists I've seen in any work of fiction.

4. NieR: Automata - Platinum has always done well collaborating with auteurs. In this case, they and Yoko Taro have a shared love of genre shifts, particularly to shmups. The core combat feels smooth, thought the game never really asks the player to explore it deeply, and the transition to hacking never feels too jarring.

But of course the story is the main attraction here. Through both the core experience and the many sidequests the cast of sad robots explores themes of the meaning of life, nihilism, war, othering, and even the value of video games.

5. Hiveswap Act 1 - A short-but-sweet point and click adventure game, crammed to the brim with clever jokes and worldbulidling tidbits of the Homestuck universe.

6. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - Production-wise the best Fire Emblem yet, with gorgeous character art, high-quality voice acting on all but the least important interactions, and a beautiful remastering of Gaiden''s 8-bit soundtrack. Unfortunately Gaiden's NES-era level design hasn't been improved on as much, with basic win conditions, mostly uninspired map layouts, and a difficulty curve based on throwing tons of harsh terrain and huge quantities of enemies at the player rather than anything truly engaging by modern standards. Still a must for any Fire Emblem fan, especially for its many mechanical departures from the norm.

7. Cosmic Star Heroine - A love-letter to classic JRPGs, with a brisk combat system that rewards planning. The story is also fast-paced, sometimes to its detriment; some moments probably needed more time to land, and many of your party members get no development after joining up. Still, it keeps the length down, which makes it an easy recommendation even for people with tons of hundred hour RPGs in their backlog.

8. Cuphead - An impossibly well-done recreation of rubber-hose cartoons from the Golden Age of Animation, Cuphead also features punishing yet addictive battles, with enough the strategic elements of changing your loadout that let you adapt your preferred playstyle to the challenge at hand. I honestly think the game is a bit too hard, but maybe I'm just getting old; still, it's hard to stay positive when you take so long to beat Grim Matchsticks or the Devil that it makes your arms ache.

9. Metroid: Samus Returns - One of the more stressful games I beat this year, Samus Returns always keeps you on your toes, filling its world with increasingly tough enemies, shifting to new Metroid forms just when you've gotten used to fighting the old ones, and throwing in some new surprises just to test your adaptability. (That final boss is harder than some Cuphead bosses, I swear.)

10. Splatoon 2 - I'm not much for multiplayer, but like the first entry the single-player mode is pretty good, with lots of interesting ideas developed across well-designed levels. I have mixed feelings about certain levels needing to be beaten with specific weapons; in some cases I really enjoyed it, but some weapons just did not suit my playstyle at all.
    And a dishonorable mention to lootboxes, and every game which has them.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    PUBG did come out of Early Access at the end of the year, so it should be on the list. Is it possible to add it without mucking up existing votes? I didn't notice it during the nomination process, but in my defense I don't play it, so like Switch games and random indie micro-games it wasn't on my radar.

Henroid wrote: »

No enemy repeats? That's pretty incredible. I've played the demo but didn't get the game till way later, so it killed my momentum in regards to actually playing the game. I need to get on that soon.
    Don't get me wrong, when you see one kind of squirrel at a point in the game, you will see a different colored one later that's stronger. I think, minus a few specific themes, this is limited to two color schemes per model. Which is still pretty good, compared to every RPG in existence.

But as far as recycling enemies from previous games goes, non-existent. The rats that are iconic from the series' start? They don't show up anywhere.