As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DOOMED! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited April 2018 in Games and Technology

dIL7nNd.png
The Switch is Nintendo's 7th home console 5th handheld newest hardware. After the Wii U's struggles over the past four years, especially with advertising and PR, this is Nintendo's attempt to get people back on board and right the ship.

As the name implies, the Switch is a hybrid console, capable of going between standard TV play and on-the-go gaming. The console itself is actually just a thin, tablet-esque bit of hardware that's like a slightly smaller and less bulky Wii U gamepad. But don't be confused: whereas the gamepad was just a screen that streamed from the Wii U itself, the Switch is a fully independent console. It has a capacitive touch screen (a departure from Nintendo's preference for resistive), two slots on the side for controller attachments, Wi-Fi, and uses a USB-C cable to charge. Due to its mobile nature, it uses cartridges to play games. There are three main ways to play:

0SgPsNn.png
TV Mode
This the traditional couch playing mode. The Switch comes with a dock that uses an HDMI cable to broadcast the Switch to your TV. This is where the Switch acts like a regular home console, and there's not much else to say. You can play using the game's controller (Joycons) separated or together (there is a grip included in box to give the joycons a controller form factor, but it does NOT charge the Joycons), or you can opt for something more typical like the pro controller (Sold Separately).

lwj0MDJ.jpg
Handheld Mode
The mobile mode, this is just taking the Switch out of the dock and playing on it. The Joycons slide on to each half of the console, giving you a more handheld experience. Battery life will vary based on the game and what you are doing, with estimates being a broad 2-6 hours. Breath of Wild was used as a benchmark, going three hours on a single charge. People are saying something like Shovel Knight can go as long as 7 hours. The general rule of thumb is that polygon-based games will drain the battery roughly twice as fast as ones uses sprites or less demanding graphics. Switches can also connect to up to seven additional Switches for local multiplayer purposes.

oCSjfHq.jpg
Tabletop Mode
Tabletop mode is basically handheld, but the Switch has a little kickstand that lets you prop it up. Each half of a Joycon can operate as its own independent controller, so you can use this mode to play games with another person. The Joycons also have an attachment called a strap that slides in and gives you better L/R button and a bit more grip. It's worth noting that ALL controllers work in this mode, including the pro controller, so you don't need a bunch of joycons.

Oh, and the Switch won't be region locked. Prepare to import.

pKdbuRi.png
In the USA, the Switch will retail for $299.99, and it comes with the following:
  • Switch Console
  • TV Dock
  • Left and Right Joycons
  • Joycon Wrist Straps
  • Joycon Grip (NOT a charging grip)
  • HDMI Cable
  • AC Adapter
You have the option to buy a Switch with black Joycons or Red/Blue Joycons. CHOICES!

Need more crap? Accessories are available if you got cash to burn.
qY2lGed.jpg
MSRP: $69.99
Want a more traditional controller? That'll be seventy bucks, pal. As a bonus, it comes with a USB to USB-C cable that can also charge the Switch itself, and the Pro can connect to your bluetooth-enabled PC with little difficulty. The Pro has most of the features of the joycons, including motion controls, HD rumble, and NFC support. I don't think it has the infrared scanner thing, however.

2lSUmW0.jpg
MSRP: $79.99
Additional Joycons can be purchased for a hefty fee. They do come with two straps, however.

pmemXGu.jpgE7hNz9V.jpg
MSRP: $49.99
Lose just ONE Joycon? Nintendo has got you covered, although they will charge you an extra ten dollars more than what they cost bundled together. Because business.

22W0iUI.jpg
MSRP: $29.99
That pro controller sure was pricey, wasn't it? Well, for less than half the cost, you can just slap your joycons in this thing and get a similar experience while pretending it's a dog or something. This one also charges your joycons while they're connected to it, unlike the one that comes with the Switch because Nintendo is cheap.

HUpSshu.jpg
MSRP: $14.99
Because you really want a wheel icon next to your name in Mario Kart. Slap a joycon in and race or just use it as a very awkward controller grip.

Z9IINT0.jpg
MSRP: $89.99
Breakdowns of the dock expose this thing as being hilariously overpriced. Please don't buy it.

z8rzxC7.png
The Switch will probably be Nintendo's biggest step forward regarding online play since it actually added online services to its hardware. It seems like Nintendo is finally learning from its contemporaries, having all online stuff managed from your Nintendo account. Sadly, Nintendo is also learning from its contemporaries in that they're going to charge us just to play online. The good news is that the service is fairly cheap, being $3.99 on a month by month basis, or $20 for a year. The service doesn't launch until Fall 20172018, but people can play online for free during a "trial" period going on now and ending whenever they get the service running. Check out the chart to see what a subscription gets you versus being a plebeian who thinks online play should be a basic free service.
1Cfjnc8.png
The monthly game downloads may have caught your eye. Nintendo is doing something new, and they're launching a Netflix-esque service for their catalog of classic games. While subscribed to Nintendo Online, you'll have access this library along with bonus features like online leaderboards and multiplayer. It's (currently) just NES titles, but SNES is under consideration.

2l2JFV7.png
What's the battery life for everything?
The Switch: 2-6 hours depending on the game. As a rule of thumb, 3D games like Zelda or Mario will last about three hours. A game with sprites or 2D effects like Shovel Knight will last about 6-7 hours.
Joycons: 20 hours. Note that that do not draw power from the Switch when attached to it and in portable mode.
Pro Controller: 40 hours. The dock does have three USB ports that can be used to charge.

Is the Switch backwards compatible?
No, it uses carts and has no disc drive to play Wii U media. And no, it's also not backwards compatible with the 3DS, DS, or any other Nintendo system.

Do the carts really taste bad?
Yes, they are coated in denatonium benzoate, which is one of the most bitter compounds for humans. It's meant as a deterrent against children eating them. Don't lick the cart, dummy.

Can I go online in portable mode?
Yes. Also, while it has no browser, if you are at a place with Wi-Fi, there will be an applet that lets you pay/agree to their terms so you can get online.

Are there seriously friend codes?
Yeah, who knows why. The good news is that when you punch in someone's code, they'll get a request instead of playing this game of "Did you send it?" Furthermore, more options are set to be added like traditional friend requests through your Nintendo account, which...raises the question of why use friend codes in the first place.

Is the Switch region-locked?
Nope! Import to your heart's content. You can even switch regions on the eShop, BUT you will lose whatever current balance your account has in its current region. So spend your money first.

Can I connect to the TV using third-party USB-C cables?
No, for whatever reason the Switch must be docked to display on the TV.

Will I be able to recharge the Switch using a portable power bank used for cell phones?
The Switch uses about 30-40 Watts, which exceeds most portable power sources right now. It also doesn't use quickcharging functionality of USB-C, so that's another concern. In other words, your average power brick may extend your Switch's battery life by an 60-90 minutes depending on the wattage, but your system will still consume power. This is dependent on the game, however, and you'll get more juice out of a power bank while playing Shovel Knight than Breath of the Wild. However power banks for phones WILL take significantly longer to charge the thing while the power is off (we're talking eight hours in some cases). There are a few 15v/3A batteries meant for MacBooks that DO charge the Switch, but at a rate of like 1% every five minutes. To be honest, there are serious cost/value considerations to make, as a laptop charger that can feed the Switch will run into the triple digits. Do you really need 20+ hours of Switch battery? If not, then consider a $50ish dollar power bank for just the Switch, one with 5V/3A that has a USB-C slot, and use a high-quality USB-C cable to charge. It will, at the very least, double your Switch's battery life even if it's not the most efficient charging solution.

tl;dr: most phone chargers are good for extending the battery, but not recharging a system. Try to get as close to 15V/2.6A as possible, and use USB-C instead of USB-C to regular USB.

Which screen protector should I used?

Tempered glass. While plastic ones are cheaper, they themselves are prone to being easily scratched, which means you'll have to replace them every so often. On top of this, tempered glass feels better when using the touch screen, and they tend to be easier to apply (fewer bubbles). Tempered glass will set you back more cash, but you'll save more in the long run. Right now, amFilm is the screen of choice for most people.

How much memory does the Switch have?
32 GB, of which around 25 is usable. For reference, Breath of the Wild uses around 13GB. You can use micro-SD cards to expand the memory. Because Switch carts are so small, I recommend a micro-SD with plenty of memory, because Switch games will be large and it defeats the purpose of going digital if instead of 32GB carts you're just swapping 32GB SD cards. A Sandisk Ultra with 128GB of memory should last you a while.

What's up with the Joycon desync issue?
Some left joycons have manufacturing defects that make their signal weaker and easier to block. If you think yours is acting up, then you can ship it off to Nintendo for a free repair. Just...hope you have a Pro Controller or something while you wait.

Can the pro controller cable be used to charge the Switch?

Yes, the cable that comes with the Pro Controller can be used like any other USB to USB-C cable. Hook it up to power banks, charge your pro controller through your PC's USB ports: go wild.

Where's Virtual Console?

It's coming. Nintendo has stated that their online service (which offers a Netflix-esque selection of classic games while subscribed) will NOT be replacing Virtual Console. So there are definitely plans for it, but that's about all we know.

Does this mean end of the line for the 3DS/Wii U?

The Wii U is definitely done. I think Breath of the Wild will be the last first-party title for the system, and hardware production was ended last year. The 3DS, on the other hand, is still going strong and has titles planned throughout 2017 and 2018, including yet another hardware iteration with the New 2DS XL. This is probably going to be a GBA/DS situation, where Nintendo will claim that both pieces of hardware will coexist...until one of them sinks or swims. So if the Switch does well (and it currently is), then expect development for the 3DS to slow down until they quietly discontinue the 3DS hardware.

HgpHq3s.png
The Switch will have games, making it a true revolution in the industry. Oh, and in case you missed it: the Switch is not region locked. You can create separate accounts for other regions and access their eShops there. All dates are for NA.

G&T Approved!
The following games are almost unanimously praised by the community. If you need a place to start, make it here.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Snipperclips
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Blaster Master Zero
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Tumbleseed
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Disgaea 5
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Sonic Mania
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Pokkén Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Doom
Steamworld Dig 2
Mummy Demastered
Has Been Heroes
Resident Evil Revelations I & II

But what other games are good?

There are a lot of games on the Switch and some of the good ones might slip past you. Not the obvious stuff like BotW and Odyssey, but the smaller gems that go unnoticed. With so many games getting released, it's hard to keep up. So the PA folks are gonna compile some mini-reviews of these great titles in the following format:

Name
Price (mention if digital only here)
Genres
Similar games
1-2 sentence review with pros and cons

For example:
Golf Story
$14.99 (eShop only)
Golf/RPG
Mario Golf GBA
A fun and addictive golfing game that has a lot of customization. Some of the NPC side quest stuff drags a bit, but not enough to ruin the fun. Highly recommended!

Penny Arcade mini-reviews:

Dresdenphile suggests:
  • Kamiko
  • $4.99 (eShop only)
  • Action
  • Zelda 1?
  • This short indie game tasks players — who control the titular priestess Kamiko — to take down demons and complete puzzles along the way, racking up combos. With 3 characters to choose from, each playthrough handles differently.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So what would you guys compare the difficulty in Celeste too? SMB? Looks like a lot of fun though.

Steam: offday
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    You may as well add Mario Tennis Aces and Nintendo LABO to Upcoming Major Releases.

Aces already looks to be turning the corner significantly from the travesty that preceded it on the Wii U. I still get kind of irritated thinking about that. Your big innovation is adding Super Mega Mushrooms? Fuck you!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, about Celeste. Doesn't @KoopaTroopah know the people that made it? It doesn't look up my alley, but I'll buy it to not only support an indie studio, but to perpetuate the integration of in-game difficulty scaling.

Seriously, I'd rather my players cheat/skip there way through my game and finish it rather than give up and never touch it again.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    So what would you guys compare the difficulty in Celeste too? SMB? Looks like a lot of fun though.

Definitely easier than SMB. It’s not nearly as fast and the air dash let’s you recover from a lot of things that wouldn’t fly in SMB.

It’s hard but at no point in the main game has it felt unreasonable.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't use a screen protector on my phone and never did for my 3DS, but it seems like a lot of people in this thread do use them for their Switches. Why is that? Just a precaution?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I don't use a screen protector on my phone and never did for my 3DS, but it seems like a lot of people in this thread do use them for their Switches. Why is that? Just a precaution?

I'm the same, and got one after my dock scratched the shit out of the right hand side of my Switch, luckily just off to the side of the display area. Not all docks do it, but I got unlucky with my launch purchase.

camo_sig2.png
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I think Shantae Half Genie Hero is pretty good and should be on the OP list. The limited physical release is also coming up.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    What's my excuse for not owning a Switch yet? Amazon being slow on shipping my console! They shipped the micro-SD card, the screen protector and Zelda and they arrived in basically 2 days, but it says another 3 for the console to show up. Jerks.

steam_sig.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

If one is hasty sliding the Switch unit into the dock, it can go in at an angle that can scratch the screen. And lot of people have families how may not take as much care doing so.

Plus some people think that a tempered glass protector makes the screen feel better when using touch functions.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

If one is hasty sliding the Switch unit into the dock, it can go in at an angle that can scratch the screen. And lot of people have families how may not take as much care doing so.

Plus some people think that a tempered glass protector makes the screen feel better when using touch functions.

You can scratch the screen while being super careful too. I reject this notion that the only way you can scratch the screen is by not taking care of it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Nintendo has done some amazing things, no doubt, but do we really have any reason to anticipate Prime 4 in 2018?

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Nintendo has done some amazing things, no doubt, but do we really have any reason to anticipate Prime 4 in 2018?

Expect Prime Trilogy near holiday '18 for fans + reintroduction to the series for new people with Prime 4 in '19. E3 '18 will show them both off I assume.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Played a ton of Switch today. Celeste continues to blow me away, but I'm forcing myself to take breaks between each level. Then played like five hours of BotW. Still working my way through all of the DLC - there's more of it than I'd realized - before going toe to toe with Ganon.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I think Shantae Half Genie Hero is pretty good and should be on the OP list. The limited physical release is also coming up.

Completely agree. I just finished it last night and aside from a large amount of playing the same levels repeatedly getting a bit old by the end it was super fun.

Doom and LA Noire are both great on the system. I did have some slowdown on Noire while chasing someone into a park but otherwise just as good as I remember. I only got one or two cases in on the pc version so it won't take long to get into new content.

I think if I get any other gift cards or money for the birthday I'll either do Celeste or Skyrim depending on how much I get.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Oh yeah, about Celeste. Doesn't @KoopaTroopah know the people that made it? It doesn't look up my alley, but I'll buy it to not only support an indie studio, but to perpetuate the integration of in-game difficulty scaling.

Seriously, I'd rather my players cheat/skip there way through my game and finish it rather than give up and never touch it again.

Yar I'm friends with Greg of DumbAndFat (Wandersong coming soon!), he did lots of testing and helped with some end game stuff, and he's friends with Matt (the main dev, and TowerFall creator). I had thought my friend Kat also made the music, but it was Matt's co-worker Lena.

Soundtrack is incredible though.

KoopahTroopah on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I really want to buy Yooka-Laylee, partly because I think my son will like it, but I have this horrible fear that a month after I buy it they are going to announce a physical version and I will be mad.

Also here's a question:
    Do I order two copies of Bayonnetta 1&2, one for myself and one for my wife, or do I order a single copy and then buy Bayonetta 1 from the eShop?
    I really can't decide.

Edit: Note the purchase on the physical would be at a 20% discount.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Celeste is fantastic. Just phenomenal. I find it more satisfying than Meat Boy, and it's actually about something!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Everything about Celeste looks pretty good. Except actually playing it. Which really is not for me.

Looks like my next platformer is going to be Night in the Woods.

• KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I bought Celeste yesterday, but haven’t had a chance to play it yet. I would have been worried about the gameplay, but I quite like Slime-San and figured this would be even better.

• edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Everything about Celeste looks pretty good. Except actually playing it. Which really is not for me.

Where I'm at. Fantastic reviews, but I'm not sure it's the sort of thing I would like.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Yeah, the release date for Prime 4 is "TBA".

Pokemon, on the other hand, is "2018 or later". It's pretty much a given that they'll want to release it during the upcoming fiscal year, so it'll either be released in late 2018 or early 2019.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    DaringDirk wrote: »

I'm the same, and got one after my dock scratched the shit out of the right hand side of my Switch, luckily just off to the side of the display area. Not all docks do it, but I got unlucky with my launch purchase.

Oof, that sucks. I guess I'll be picking one up.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I am still struggling to spend $35 eshop monies. My current game is hovering over Minecraft for the 1,000th time. I have such an urge to play again and I'll have it on like every console. Haha. I'm curious how online works for the Switch. That and the crossplatform play. Like, can I have a server up on my PC and just log in from my PC/phone/ipad/360/Switch and be the same person? Or can consoles only use realms or something crazy like that? Maybe I would just grab a realms thing for a few months.

I just look at the eshop and nothing hits me as must have. I have Splatoon 2, Odyssey, and Zelda. I have Shovel Knight on my 3DS and just beat Steamworld Dig 1(so I need a break from that series). Golf Story I know I want at some point but I'm just not in the mood for it.

The next big Switch game I want is probably Pokemon. I want Arms but I know I'll fade fast from that (especially if I am getting DBZ on Steam).

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular

Uh, just a heads up. Night in the Woods is not a platformer. It's a great game but it's more like an adventure game or an interactive novel. I loved it but if you go into it expecting fun platforming gameplay you might end up disappointed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I am still struggling to spend $35 eshop monies. My current game is hovering over Minecraft for the 1,000th time. I have such an urge to play again and I'll have it on like every console. Haha. I'm curious how online works for the Switch. That and the crossplatform play. Like, can I have a server up on my PC and just log in from my PC/phone/ipad/360/Switch and be the same person? Or can consoles only use realms or something crazy like that? Maybe I would just grab a realms thing for a few months.

It should be yes to both. I think. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. In any case, on Switch you use an Xbox Live Account. If you don't have one, you'll need to make one--and the fee structure depends on the platform itself, so Minecraft Xbox only needs Xbox Live Gold, Minecraft Switch only needs Nintendo's subscription, Minecraft on mobile devices is free, etc.. As I understand it, it's going to sync saves on non-dedicated servers, so if you were playing by yourself on Switch, logged out, your world would be imported if you selected the same world on your account on PC or Xbox. I haven't actually watched people set up their own "dedicated" servers, but you'd just end up connecting to that rather than importing and acting as the server (which does leave the question about how a world might vary between different platforms, as in the past).

(The PS4 isn't participating as a matter of Sony policy.)

At least, I think that's how it works--I've mostly just been watching other people do it, Minecraft never holds my interest for more than a few hours at a time, I much rather watch other people play. Hopefully that helps a little, there also some answers to on MS's own FAQ here, and this. It gets kind of confusing when you look at the different versions and betas between platforms (like the Switch's beta) and some FAQs online are out of date, to before the Better Together update went to Switch. Oh, to answer OP's rhetorical question, I cannot into handhelds, no matter how hard I try, and I end up returning or selling them in a few months. It's the reason I never picked up a Vita (well, that, and the terrible "back boobs" ad campaign :lol: ).

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Yar I'm friends with Greg of DumbAndFat (Wandersong coming soon!), he did lots of testing and helped with some end game stuff, and he's friends with Matt (the main dev, and TowerFall creator). I had thought my friend Kat also made the music, but it was Matt's co-worker Lena.

Soundtrack is incredible though.

One of the cool things to me about Celeste is that it began life on the Pico-8 fantasy console. By fantasy console, they mean a retro game system that never actually existed, but has a number of strict limitations like one, such as space for graphics/program data and palette. Basically it's an emulator that can run in a web browser and on lower level hardware like Raspberry Pi.

You can play any Pico-8 game right here,
    including the original Celeste. Which I hear is playable somehow in the Switch release too? I don't know how representative it is of the new game, like if it suffices as a demo, but it's cool that something so small and indie could grow to be released on a full console.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

It should be yes to both. I think. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. In any case, on Switch you use an Xbox Live Account. If you don't have one, you'll need to make one--and the fee structure depends on the platform itself, so Minecraft Xbox only needs Xbox Live Gold, Minecraft Switch only needs Nintendo's subscription, Minecraft on mobile devices is free, etc.. As I understand it, it's going to sync saves on non-dedicated servers, so if you were playing by yourself on Switch, logged out, your world would be imported if you selected the same world on your account on PC or Xbox. I haven't actually watched people set up their own "dedicated" servers, but you'd just end up connecting to that rather than importing and acting as the server (which does leave the question about how a world might vary between different platforms, as in the past).

At least, I think that's how it works--I've mostly just been watching other people do it, Minecraft never holds my interest for more than a few hours at a time, I much rather watch other people play. Hopefully that helps a little, there also some answers to on MS's own FAQ here, and this. It gets kind of confusing when you look at the different versions and betas between platforms (like the Switch's beta) and some FAQs online are out of date, to before the Better Together update went to Switch. Oh, to answer OP's rhetorical question, I cannot into handhelds, no matter how hard I try, and I end up returning or selling them in a few months. It's the reason I never picked up a Vita (well, that, and the terrible "back boobs" ad campaign :lol: ).

Better Together isn't live yet, right?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Synthesis wrote: »

Better Together isn't live yet, right?

It....is on Xbox. And mobile apparently. Is it still in beta on Switch (I thought the page was oudated)? I don't really have a way to definitively test that. :(

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      skeldare wrote: »

I would be more excited if it was Planet Coaster, which was made by the same people that did Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and the RCT2 expansions. I don't know what developer is handling RCT Switch but I have little faith in it after Atari rushed Roller Coaster Tycoon World to release in a buggy unfinished state just to have it release the day before Planet Coaster came out. I would wait for reviews for RCT Switch and I sure as hell wouldn't give them money up front for it.

(She/Her)
    • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
      Looks like I'll be buying a Switch next Friday. Need a break from the MOBA Genre for a bit. I saw in the OP that we covered some of the basics for what to buy with the switch. Is there anything else anyone recommends to make my switch experience better? Reddit was telling me I want to get a switch stand and a two handed controller. Was there anything else anyone recommends for me to buy that wasn't mentioned in the OP? Overall, I'm gonna buy the switch primarily for Zelda, Mario, and the upcoming Pokémon game.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      edited January 2018
      I'd say a bigger micro SD is a must, even if you don't plan on downloading too many games. Screen protectors, a case, and a stand are a good buy if you plan on taking it mobile often.

Controllers are a personal choice and the most devisive purchase. For some, the Joy Cons are (pun intended) a joy to play with. Hands resting wherever you want them and comfy in design. Others hate them and go full Pro Controller. I don't think anyone can help with that decision. Try out both options and get whichever feels best to you.

MNC Dover on
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
      Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Uh, just a heads up. Night in the Woods is not a platformer. It's a great game but it's more like an adventure game or an interactive novel. I loved it but if you go into it expecting fun platforming gameplay you might end up disappointed.

I know. I was joking.

Although, getting on top of the rooftops to talk to everyone does require of... well... platforming.

Very mild platforming.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      edzepp wrote: »

Where I'm at. Fantastic reviews, but I'm not sure it's the sort of thing I would like.

Maybe wait a couple weeks for Dandara?

https://youtu.be/kEYJqo5J210

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
      So I’ve found the button placement, or maybe it’s just the thinness of the paddles makes my hands sore (arthritic maybe?) when I’ve been working on my laptop all day. Is the pro controller more friendly?

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      LostNinja wrote: »
      So I’ve found the button placement, or maybe it’s just the thinness of the paddles makes my hands sore (arthritic maybe?) when I’ve been working on my laptop all day. Is the pro controller more friendly?

Definitely. The pro controller shoulder and trigger buttons are larger and are spaced further apart than on the joycon.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      If we did a PA night for Switch Minecraft would anyone want to do that?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
        New information about Shaq Fu A Legend Reborn. Don’t forget that if you bought the original NBA Playgrounds release, you get it free.

http://nintendoeverything.com/shaq-fu-a-legend-reborn-listed-for-physical-release-on-switch-new-details/

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA