As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] The Wasp is in a movie, Ant-man may be involved

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Marvel's Avengers Holiday special where Tony throws a Christmas party and no villains crash it. The biggest conflicts are Pete sneaking a swig of Thor's special ale and getting a little tipsy and Groot eventually falling asleep and getting decorated with ornaments.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Marvel's Avengers Holiday special where Tony throws a Christmas party and no villains crash it. The biggest conflicts are Pete sneaking a swig of Thor's special ale and getting a little tipsy and Groot eventually falling asleep and getting decorated with ornaments.

"Dammit kid, what the hell are you doing! Your aunt is going to kill me if you come home trashed on Asgardian booze..."

"Sh..shteeve...-hic- Captain Rodgers, Mr. Stark said -hic- said a bad word!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »

"Dammit kid, what the hell are you doing! Your aunt is going to kill me if you come home trashed on Asgardian booze..."

He probably wouldn't feel so good after that.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

Too soon, man.

Also, I feel bad that Cap can't even get drunk off magic alien booze. That should be Tony's next obsession: solve the mystery of getting Steve shitfaced.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    The party at the beginning of Age of Ultron is pretty great. It's like, the only time we see The Avengers sitting around acting like buddies too. And of course everyone attempting to lift Mjolnir is great.

Thor getting visibly nervous when Mjolnir budges for Steve is still probably my favorite part of that movie.

Before Mewmew was destroyed I always hoped for a climatic battle scene where Steve wielded it for a moment to get in a badass shot on an enemy.

I'm happy they at least had a small nod towards him being worthy in that scene.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Too soon, man.

Also, I feel bad that Cap can't even get drunk off magic alien booze. That should be Tony's next obsession: solve the mystery of getting Steve shitfaced.

And discovers that this is a very bad idea. I bet Cap is an angry drunk.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Steve Rogers strikes me as the kind of drunk who just gets really morose and hides in a dark corner and thinks his thoughts until he's sobered up a bit, or the kind who gets angry at and wants to fight the whole world. The problem with the latter is that it's Steve Rogers so he probably could.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Drunk Rogers is Rogers at a bar alone with the ghosts of the people he's known that are all dead now.

Even Thor is not worthy enough to lift that heavy-ass memory.

• Options
    Just thought of another MCU moment that was instantly just incredible. Towards the end of Infinity War when Thanos is walking towards Vision, Everybody is trying to stop him to no effect. They're all getting tossed around like toys, and then Cap slides in with a little punch combo and grabs the gauntlet, resisting with all his might. The look of confusion that hits Thanos face as this one guy briefly defies him is one of the best little things I think I've seen in one of these movies. Probably the most badass Captain America little moment as well.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Just thought of another MCU moment that was instantly just incredible. Towards the end of Infinity War when Thanos is walking towards Vision, Everybody is trying to stop him to no effect. They're all getting tossed around like toys, and then Cap slides in with a little punch combo and grabs the gauntlet, resisting with all his might. The look of confusion that hits Thanos face as this one guy briefly defies him is one of the best little things I think I've seen in one of these movies. Probably the most badass Captain America little moment as well.

I always thought it was admiration. He was stronger than expected, but wasn't anything bit a fly to thanos. He was more impressed by the effort and willingness of cap, a mere human, to throw everything he had at him and at least try.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

I always thought it was admiration. He was stronger than expected, but wasn't anything bit a fly to thanos. He was more impressed by the effort and willingness of cap, a mere human, to throw everything he had at him and at least try.

por que no los dos?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Yeah, I saw it as Thanos being momentarily impressed because of course Cap is the guy willing to throw himself on a literal and figurative grenade if there are no other good options left.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Captain America: "Yeah, look at me, I'm holding back your gauntlet with all my strength!"
    Thanos: "What about my right hand?"
    Captain America: "What about your---" *BOP*

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Not really related to anything, but does anyone know if Thor's new axe still has the worthiness use-lock?
    I mean, Groot was at least able to pick up the pieces.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Not really related to anything, but does anyone know if Thor's new axe still has the worthiness use-lock?
    I mean, Groot was at least able to pick up the pieces.

I was wondering this as well during a recent watch through. The old groot would have been worthy. But this teenage deuchebag? He put the video game down for 5 minutes to help out. I'm sure his rooms still a mess though.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    IIRC an interview with the Russos said nope, anyone can wield it

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Google and you shall be rewarded
    During a Vudu Viewing Party for Avengers: Infinity War, co-directors Anthony and Joe Russo revealed a key difference between Thor's hammer Mjolnir and his new ax Stormbreaker: the latter doesn't require worthiness. That's why Groot was able to lift the ax, not because he was worthy but because he didn't need to be. It's something fans presumed, but it's always great to get official confirmation from the creative team behind the film.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That's just another reason why the axe isn't as cool as the hammer.

Bring Mjolnir back!

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Mjolnir is a crutch.

"Are you the God of Hammers?"

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm sure reforging Mjolnir will be a plot point for when Jane Foster takes up the mantle.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ya mean Darcy, Goddess of Thunder.

Breaking Mjolnir kinda got rid of their shortcut to a replacement Thor, tho.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Does anyone else think Stormbreaker looks just a bit too big? Not too much, but just enough to seem off.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else think Stormbreaker looks just a bit too big? Not too much, but just enough to seem off.
    Yes.
    In Jarnborn we trust.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Everybody is worthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVuawqOZCUU

Red Skull: I volunteer at the homeless shelter on weekends!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    You can definitely get to hero for Thanos.

It's essentially the same morality play as Ozymaandias or any other Utilitarianism taken to the extream. There is a valid argument to what he is trying to achieve.

The problems with it are less how much suffering it causes and that the suffering is needless because the solution is flimsy and unsustainable. That much prosperity will cause a population boom and we are right back where we were in short time scales.

Nah, Thanos is framed as the villain, because he is, and so is Ozymandias in your example. By your logic every genocidal maniac and murdering dictator are heroes, because despite all their evil deeds they were working towards their view of a better future.

IW & Watchmen
    I think there is a bit of a difference between a character thinking they are the hero, and the movie trying to advocate if they are a hero. IW does not have a scene in there that would justify Thanos' heroic claims. Instead they show his brutal actions and then him telling the audience it would be better in the long run. We don't see what brought him to Gamora's world, the issues inherit in overpopulation, instead we see him steal a child and murder a bunch of civilians. The closest we get is with his home planet, with the illusion of a lush verdant world, on top of the now ruined landscape. Again he merely tells them it got bad towards the end, but the audience isn't shown this. It doesn't evoke the same emotions as the opening scene with Thor bound and the (former) survivors of Asgard dead around him, the Black Order smugly triumphant standing over him. The audience views most everything through the avengers lens (ie Earth) where overpopulation really isn't shown to be the major issue going around. Thanos is trying to deliver a "solution" to no actual problem from earths view, and the cost is losing several people that have formed strong emotional connections with the audience.

On the other hand, with Ozy, an argument that he is the hero seems to hold up a little more. We see over the course of the movie the real villain is the general weakness of humanity (anti-hero riots, paranoid/short sighted world leaders, the exposed weaknesses of the heroes themselves) all while a literal doomsday clock clicks forward. We are shown that earth is about to blow itself up, and the majority of the heroes cannot do anything to stop it (or won't in Dr. Manhattans case). The audience can to some extent understand why Ozy is doing these things. In the end he is successful, Humanity does not blow itself up because it was lied to, and the movie kind of ends on an upbeat note because of it.
    However, Ozzys killing millions is undone by the journal we see at the end. And it wasnt sure that earth would blow itself up, we have been through the same crysis in real life, and we are still here. Ozzy is the villain because he didnt fix anything, he tricked people into joining agains Manhattan, but it doesnt fix any of the issues from the cold war.
    Ozzy means good, he definitely thinks he is saving the world, but in the end all those milions he killed, died for nothing.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options

Yeah, I saw it as Thanos being momentarily impressed because of course Cap is the guy willing to throw himself on a literal and figurative grenade if there are no other good options left.

To me, he just looks confused. He's already strong AF AND the gauntlet is 5/6 of the way complete. This one guy, however briefly, is managing to hold him back and he just cannot comprehend it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I don't think Cap was meaningfully holding him back. He was just a milk carton that was much fuller than you thought.

Also hey, test footage for Thanos' CGI came out and it's pretty fun! (Some IW spoils)

https://youtu.be/x0iuynzatJI

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Passive aggressive Thanos is something else.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    You can definitely get to hero for Thanos.

It's essentially the same morality play as Ozymaandias or any other Utilitarianism taken to the extream. There is a valid argument to what he is trying to achieve.

The problems with it are less how much suffering it causes and that the suffering is needless because the solution is flimsy and unsustainable. That much prosperity will cause a population boom and we are right back where we were in short time scales.

Nah, Thanos is framed as the villain, because he is, and so is Ozymandias in your example. By your logic every genocidal maniac and murdering dictator are heroes, because despite all their evil deeds they were working towards their view of a better future.

IW & Watchmen
    I think there is a bit of a difference between a character thinking they are the hero, and the movie trying to advocate if they are a hero. IW does not have a scene in there that would justify Thanos' heroic claims. Instead they show his brutal actions and then him telling the audience it would be better in the long run. We don't see what brought him to Gamora's world, the issues inherit in overpopulation, instead we see him steal a child and murder a bunch of civilians. The closest we get is with his home planet, with the illusion of a lush verdant world, on top of the now ruined landscape. Again he merely tells them it got bad towards the end, but the audience isn't shown this. It doesn't evoke the same emotions as the opening scene with Thor bound and the (former) survivors of Asgard dead around him, the Black Order smugly triumphant standing over him. The audience views most everything through the avengers lens (ie Earth) where overpopulation really isn't shown to be the major issue going around. Thanos is trying to deliver a "solution" to no actual problem from earths view, and the cost is losing several people that have formed strong emotional connections with the audience.

On the other hand, with Ozy, an argument that he is the hero seems to hold up a little more. We see over the course of the movie the real villain is the general weakness of humanity (anti-hero riots, paranoid/short sighted world leaders, the exposed weaknesses of the heroes themselves) all while a literal doomsday clock clicks forward. We are shown that earth is about to blow itself up, and the majority of the heroes cannot do anything to stop it (or won't in Dr. Manhattans case). The audience can to some extent understand why Ozy is doing these things. In the end he is successful, Humanity does not blow itself up because it was lied to, and the movie kind of ends on an upbeat note because of it.
    However, Ozzys killing millions is undone by the journal we see at the end. And it wasnt sure that earth would blow itself up, we have been through the same crysis in real life, and we are still here. Ozzy is the villain because he didnt fix anything, he tricked people into joining agains Manhattan, but it doesnt fix any of the issues from the cold war.
    Ozzy means good, he definitely thinks he is saving the world, but in the end all those milions he killed, died for nothing.

Ozymaandias is slightly less of a villain than Thanos because the US-Soviet relations are pretty damn bad in the book/movie, so there's actually a pretty good chance of war breaking out. That's very different than Thanos' rather derpy one size fits all solution to a problem that a lot of planets don't even have.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I just hope Stormbreaker goes to Beta Ray Bill at some point

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Re-watched it last night as well.
    3rd viewing in total.

What a film man. Some how -on this 3rd viewing- the real moroseness of the movie really struck me. It was wonderful.

I feel like the voice actors wont get enough love sometimes.

Rockets "oh....oh no...." at Groot was just heartbreaking.
    Josh Brolin is staggeringly good as Thanos. I wonder if he watched the movie and was like "holy shit thats amazing" because the cg is a work of art.

Also, i had forgotten about another great line

"You made that word up"
    "All words are made up"

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Ya mean Darcy, Goddess of Thunder.

Breaking Mjolnir kinda got rid of their shortcut to a replacement Thor, tho.

This is where my foolproof idea for Thor 4 comes in. We get a full movie of Taika playing around with King Thor, juggling some space shenanigans with being king of New Asgard (placed in Oklahoma or Norway or on Wakanda's doorstep, whatever). After the climax, we have Thor realizing he needs to appoint a new Thor to be Protector of the Realm. So he goes to Nidavellir, they forge a new Mjolnir, he enchants it, and then he fuckin' chucks the thing back to earth and it lands somewhere just like it did in New Mexico: a modern Sword in the Stone, waiting (calling) for its new bearer.

Mid-credits: Thor has a nightmare about Stark picking up the hammer (or someone suggested Korg, too)

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    One of the little moments of Thanos that really sold me on the effect was the scene with little Gamora where she grips one of his fingers. So often a CG hand interacting with a real had looks janky as fuck. Case in point the "sun's going down" scene in Ultron. But the IW effect looked really really good and totally sold me.

• Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Everyones talking about scenes:
    how about little Gamora asking Thanos what did it cost? After he says "everything" the look on lil Gams face is fucking heartbreaking. I mean, Spider-Man getting dusted gets me, but that scene always produces tears.

And can we talk about the music in the final scene of the Thanos movie? It's frackin amazing!

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    "He's still skinny"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    The music was super on point in IW.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I just watched Infinity War this weekend! I loved it! I rewatched it yesterday after learning that
    the translation of Groot's last line in the film is "Dad." To Rocket, of course

And I didn't cry the first time at the ending, but I sure cried that time. I also cried some for Steve Rogers because I recently watched the Movie with Mikey episode he did about the MCU shared universe where he says, "Steve is always sad", and I never thought about that before. That ending has to be absolutely crushing for Steve.
    Lost his old best friend. Lost his new best friend.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Everyones talking about scenes:
    how about little Gamora asking Thanos what did it cost? After he says "everything" the look on lil Gams face is fucking heartbreaking. I mean, Spider-Man getting dusted gets me, but that scene always produces tears.

And can we talk about the music in the final scene of the Thanos movie? It's frackin amazing!

The little details in that spoilered scene help elevate it,
    where right at the start he touches his chest and looks at his hand.

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    I'd also like to point out the great Cosmic justice of sending Red Skull to the ONE stone he had no way of getting. Forcing him to live his eternity knowing that he could never win because he could never love someone enough to get the stone.

Even the universe hates Nazis.

• Options
    Some of my favorite MCU parts is just the nonchalant way Peter straight overpowers people, especially Bucky and Obsidian Cull.

Obsidian Cull was cool, cause this is the guy that was rag dolling Tony around, then Peter comes in and casually stops his Space Hammer of Doom, “Hey man.”

The best one is Bucky. My dude was a nightmare in both movies, then this fifteen year old kid casually stops his megaton punch without even realizing how much of a feat that actually is to accomplish, “You have a metal arm? That’s so cool!”

The look on Bucky’s face really sells it.

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.