As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Synthetic Genetic [chat]

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
DNA storage might be the be-all end all storage medium of the world ever.

2u17q161hwnp.png

https://qz.com/345640/scientists-say-all-the-worlds-data-can-fit-on-a-dna-hard-drive-the-size-of-a-teaspoon/

1 billion gigabytes of data in a gram of synthetic DNA that can last thousands of years.

Only problem is reading it, because DNA is fucking tiny and lasers that small are expensive as hell.

Also, random access.

Anyway, there you go [chat], your trivia for the day.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    But how much does a gram of DNA sell for on the street? Is it addictive?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

Can't live without it.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Also DNA in solid state is kind of useless, so the 1g is a little misleading.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Good job jrx you did this fast

Unlike the sluggards who take 9.5 minutes to fluff together an OP

• Options
    I have a confession: I’m not going to donate my birthday to charity on Facebook. It’s not because of any kind of stance or anything that I’m taking, I just want my birthday all to myself

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Also my reaction yesterday worked! which demonstrates a crucial step! Woo. We don't need no fucking protecting groups.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

40 bucks... highly

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    ive got a cat who is in the process of slowly falling off my lap

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have a confession: I’m not going to donate my birthday to charity on Facebook. It’s not because of any kind of stance or anything that I’m taking, I just want my birthday all to myself

Does Facebook take a cut of those charity things?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The nano invention they need to get going is DNA digital storage.

That shit is just as sci fi as shit gets.

Synthetic biology is going to be the next big thing. I would advise everybody to get a PhD in it right away

What about my masters in data science tho

What's all this fucking math for then

*flips cubicle*

Oh if you have that now then you're all set too. It's just in 5 or so years the market will be saturated there and new tools will mean that everybody just does a little bit of it.

@Mojo_Jojo are there any books or online courses or whatever in synthetic biology that you'd recommend?

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    I think it's like one of the scandinavian countries -- they had a nest egg from selling oil rights. Except Alaska has wasted most of it.

Alaska gives it away every year to its citizens.

I like that because even though it's not enough money to live on or anything, like a thousand per person, it's step one towards a UBI (and from a red state!).

it's a pretty stupid use of it, economically, but like, nice if you are going to be dumb with it

I double checked--they do actually have a fund (the Alaska Permanent Fund) of which only part gets paid out. They aren't actually giving away all of their oil revenues each year. But I still really like it because it doesn't really have any direct impact on me either way but lets me say "See? Alaska does it!" wrt UBI.

A few different states have those funds, totalling about $150b, so not huge overall. Alaska's is at about $55b. Texas is the next biggest, they have two funds set up to fund their public schools and their university system.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Does Facebook take a cut of those charity things?

I dunno

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Hm, this chat is not about my amazing friendship. I see. Interesting.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Well I mean, spend 9 minutes putting together an OP nobody gives a shit about 3 pages in or spent 30 seconds putting together an OP nobody gives a shit about 1 page in.

Either way

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    so in horizon zero dawn when the scientists wanted to store data in DNA because no other storage medium could be counted on for information density and longevity it wasn't 1000% bullshit?

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    But what if when we read our DNA we see that there is already a message encoded in it.....

duh DUH DUUUUHHHHHHHHH

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

*averts eyes guiltily*

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    @Abdhyius so Norway's monarchy works kind of like the UKs? Where technically all government power still comes from the Crown?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    If you want longevity, the best storage medium is a bunch of old storage mediums.

Couscous on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    If you want longevity, the best storage medium is a bunch of old rampaging robot dinosaurs

• Options
    If you want longevity, the best storage medium is a bunch of old storage mediums.

Chisel and rock?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    so in horizon zero dawn when the scientists wanted to store data in DNA because no other storage medium could be counted on for information density and longevity it wasn't 1000% bullshit?

Yes, most of the sciencey stuff in that game is pretty realistic.
    Real horizon spoilers
    Although I think they fucked it up and never actually made that work at the end.

• Options

Ya dude it's an actual thing that people have been working on for a while.

Microsoft set the record at 200 megabytes recently.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    We're going to end up with a future where Ice-T and a government dolphin are our only hope aren't we

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Increase your hard drive capacity by jerking off into this container.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I think I might be getting tired of videogames and that’s why my attention span for them is so low

Neco on
  • Options
    Or maybe that is just my low attention span

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Chisel and rock?

I expect an inscribed clay tablet to be more likely to be around in a few thousand years than this post.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    "We've done a DNA test and concluded that he is definitely the murderer and holy crap you have to check out this guy's search history"

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    But what if when we read our DNA we see that there is already a message encoded in it.....

duh DUH DUUUUHHHHHHHHH

10th November, 2064

Scientists claim that they have finally managed to decipher a message secretly hidden inside our DNA.

Using breakthrough technology, researchers working at universities across the globe have slowly unravelled what they consider to be an audio message from an unknown source. The message is present, hidden, in the DNA of every member of the human species; the lead researcher on the project declined to comment on what broader implications they consider this to have.

The researchers have made the audio publically available and invite comment on it.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Sigh

Ambushed by a mariachi band on the subway

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

duh DUH DUUUUHHHHHHHHH

10th November, 2064

Scientists claim that they have finally managed to decipher a message secretly hidden inside our DNA.

Using breakthrough technology, researchers working at universities across the globe have slowly unravelled what they consider to be an audio message from an unknown source. The message is present, hidden, in the DNA of every member of the human species; the lead researcher on the project declined to comment on what broader implications they consider this to have.

The researchers have made the audio publically available and invite comment on it.

I FUCKING KNEW IT

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

7ljl2s157ran.png

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    It hurts to glance laterally -- I can't tell if I'm sick or else have eye strain

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh, @Elldren

NuWW is working hard. They just delievered this:

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

7ljl2s157ran.png

Is a circle jerk required for RAID now?

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

duh DUH DUUUUHHHHHHHHH

10th November, 2064

Impressive. 10/10. Would be rick rolled again.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

7ljl2s157ran.png

snrtehanb351.png

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

7ljl2s157ran.png

Can you imagine having to expand server storage?

"hurry up Johnson, we need another 18 terabytes of storage"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ked why were you ruled ineligible for the bar

This discussion has been closed.