As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MFL] Mutant Football League probably all the diarrhea

WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
edited February 2018 in Games and Technology
For those of you out there who were lucky enough to own a Sega Genesis you probably remember a little gem called Mutant League Football...well the guys behind that went ahead and recreated it as Mutant Football League

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mendheim/mutant-football-league-mfl/description
http://store.steampowered.com/app/529520/Mutant_Football_League/

As someone who loves football this game is a lot of fun. I kickstarted it and have been loving the hell out of.

What the hell is this?
If you remember Mutant League Football this is that, but better graphics, and more lunacy. If you didn't play that game think NFL blitz, but in a post apocolyptic hellscape filled with an ultra violent version of gridiron football

OK Where do I play?

The game recently released in full on Xbox 1 and PS4 but you can also play on steam which is notable as there really aren't many options for football on PC

What's the difference between this and regular football?
Well aside from the genetically altered and drug empowered orcish, undead, human, and skeletal (soon to also include werewolves and demons) players, undead refs, lethal traps on the fields (giant worms, landmines, buzzsaws, lava, etc), host of dirty plays ranging from shotguns and chainsaws to warp speed and self immolation, and hysterical announcers (grim blitzrow and brickhead mulligan and bricks jr!) not a whole lot. well i take that back, there are also less players on the field since this is arcade style.

What's it cost?
$19.99 and believe me just the dialogue is worth the price of admission. The first time you force a team to forfeit due to lack of players, or save a touchdown with a dirty trick you are going to lose your mind.

Well who the hell are you?

Doesn't matter! Take it from some of the pros!

C8U4Dxem.jpg?1

WingedWeasel on

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    UHHHH WHAT

How did I not know this was available?!

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    My weekend is now planned out.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    f45e389f48fddebe02934adcb4ba884f091d067e.png

Killadelphia vs. Hatriots.

Okay game, you have me interested.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Most of the player/team names are spectacular. I personally sprung for a custom player in the Kickstarter:

Choptimus Spine

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    But the mascot isn't even wearing a hat.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    IMMEDIATE INTEREST.

I have no idea why games like this didn't get more support. It's sports enough to get the crowd that is slavishly addicted to stuff like Madden games, but wild enough to be something that's actually fun for people who like games over just simulating sports.

• Options
    IMMEDIATE INTEREST.

I have no idea why games like this didn't get more support. It's sports enough to get the crowd that is slavishly addicted to stuff like Madden games, but wild enough to be something that's actually fun for people who like games over just simulating sports.

well the day of console release madden dropped their price from $59.99 to $20. was it due to MFL? that's how i'm telling it. reality is probably their metrics show by this time most people who are buying this year's madden have already bought it

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    IMMEDIATE INTEREST.

well the day of console release madden dropped their price from $59.99 to $20. was it due to MFL? that's how i'm telling it. reality is probably their metrics show by this time most people who are buying this year's madden have already bought it

Madden dips to $20 every year around the Super Bowl.

Also, MFL is ok. I'd say it's a slightly above average arcade football game. Some of the dirty tricks are really annoying too...

They pretty much say all the lines they have after about three games, but I love the announcer guys. Especially when the two headed mutant goes on and on about Montezuma's revenge, and the other guy finally just goes "...what the fuck are you talking about?"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    IMMEDIATE INTEREST.

Madden dips to $20 every year around the Super Bowl.

Also, MFL is ok. I'd say it's a slightly above average arcade football game. Some of the dirty tricks are really annoying too...

They pretty much say all the lines they have after about three games, but I love the announcer guys. Especially when the two headed mutant goes on and on about Montezuma's revenge, and the other guy finally just goes "...what the fuck are you talking about?"

there are hidden ones that i ahvent even heard after playing for months. every once in a while i ear a new one. the thing is most situations are roughly the same so you'll hear similar lines repeatedly. the dirty tricks can be brutal though, although you get used to when and why they are called

i figured the madden thing was just coincidence, but it definitely hurts

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I really enjoy this game! It's definitely more fun than recent Maddens I've played, and the passing in the original game has aged really poorly so it's nice to have a modern incarnation.

The dev team has impressed me a lot too. I had a bug in a multiplayer match with my friend, reported it on the steam forums that night and by the time I woke up they had responded to my post and released a patch to fix it. The upcoming franchise mode sounds great too -- starting off with a terrible team with lots of rpg leveling options.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah this is amazing. Mutant League Football (and Hockey) were some of my favorite games back in the day.

As a bonus the commentator is the same guy from NBA Jam and NFL Blitz!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh yeah this is amazing. Mutant League Football (and Hockey) were some of my favorite games back in the day.

As a bonus the commentator is the same guy from NBA Jam and NFL Blitz!

Yeah, the commentary is all crude as hell but it's a lot of fun. In the absence of an NFL Blitz or Mutant League in almost 20 years, it's pretty easily king of the arcade football hill.

Forgot to mention how great all of the multiplayer options are too. You can do co-op or competitive on local multiplayer or online.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Notes from the mayhem bowl stream:
    • Mutant Hockey League has a chance, but they need MFL to do well first
    • They want to include coaches but the issue is one of resources right now
    • there is a plan for custom playbooks and plays
    • there is a chance sprints will be modified (potential for multiple sprints in a single play
    • balance issues are always looked at (ex: # of superstars on a team) - player feedback is considered for this

i hope the game continues to do well because it is fun. certainly frustrating at points (trying to unlock the galaxy chaos without lowering the difficulty has proven....challenging), but it is a great way to spend a night

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Only thing I remember about Mutant League Football is figuring out the audible to kill the ref, and doing it literally every play.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Only thing I remember about Mutant League Football is figuring out the audible to kill the ref, and doing it literally every play.

Or just running behind the o line and sacking the Qb in a hope of killing him

• Options
    well you guys are in luck because there are dedicated dirty tricks for both!