Options

Engagement [chat]

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Yo judge!

Whatever, your honor!

Milo needs to hire Vinny

The whole thing is because Milo's lawyers were allowed to look at documents that Milo wanted to see, but he wasn't allowed to see.

So he fired his lawyers and announced he was representing himself, so could he please see those documents now?

(He could not see the documents, and the judge was not pleased.)

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    @So It Goes I am sorry to hear Siglet is being so fussy about her sleep! :( I hope that gets better soon (they change so rapidly when they're so new, so it's a possibility!) I am hoping you yourself are actually asleep when I'm posting this, rest is important when you can get it :)

And to everyone quoting that bat-signal list multiple times ...

It's nice to feel wanted <3

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    i wonder how much of the buzz are SNP and Labour left types raging vs alt-right Americans raging

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Which kid was the red haired one again in Harry Potter? Remeber that one? Trans.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Which kid was the red haired one again in Harry Potter? Remeber that one? Trans.

obviously

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Moaning Myrtle? Seventh Day Adventist.

• Options
    for context, Rowling has been provoking a lot of people since at least scotref

otoh, when one glances down that list of replies to that tweet, a lot of those folks seem more angry about #virtuesignalling

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

Trans and ginger? Talk about life at the hardest difficulty mode

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Retroactive Wizard Diversity: also the best name at battle of the bands Fresno '17

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Oh geez this gif of The Presidents hair

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Does he whip his hair back and forth his hair back and forth his hair back and forth his hair back and forth his hair back and forth his hair back and forth?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    VH blows it so bad even Widget is sad.

https://clips.twitch.tv/TenuousPiliableFennelTriHard

ahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahaha i love this so much

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I feel like "announces" is a bit misleading; she was responding to this:

e: also I guess this is nearly* four years old at this point

* close enough

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »
    Does he whip his hair back and forth his hair back and forth his hair back and forth his hair back and forth his hair back and forth his hair back and forth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHwOMWGAg_o

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I feel like "announces" is a bit misleading; she was responding to this:

e: also I guess this is nearly* four years old at this point

* close enough

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Anthony_Goldstein

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Rowling’s heart is in the right-ish place though so I won’t talk shit

• Options
    Except for the shit I talk

• Options
    Sad widget noooooo :(

Vh your poor dog :(

• Options
    I think it's more about how Rowling seems to be very, very populist in her attempts to make Harry Potter's "lore" accessible without doing the requisite research to make it seem like genuine worldbuilding rather than tiny acts of retroactive inclusion

see: Dumbledore totally being gay even though he never identifies as such in the texts and also they're completely ignoring that in the prequel films; her creation of American and East Asian wizarding schools which flit between adequate, bizarrely Orientalist, and occasionally entirely inappropriate

• Options
    it's cos she's waging a Correcter Than Thou war on the tweeters since scotref and corbies

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    oh also up until the 1700s Wizards pooped themselves and magicked away the mess, that is JK Rowling's written lore, I love it

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I think it's more about how Rowling seems to be very, very populist in her attempts to make Harry Potter's "lore" accessible without doing the requisite research to make it seem like genuine worldbuilding rather than tiny acts of retroactive inclusion

see: Dumbledore totally being gay even though he never identifies as such in the texts and also they're completely ignoring that in the prequel films; her creation of American and East Asian wizarding schools which flit between adequate, bizarrely Orientalist, and occasionally entirely inappropriate
    Okay, but I don't think that would make a very good response to that dude on Twitter.

I guess she could have ignored him?

• Options
    Now they just poop themselves.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2018
    i guess i'm less concerned with her getting credit than with her giving some kids a little bit of inclusion in a huge, huge, culturally dominant IP. i'd prefer good representation that is thought out and intentioned. but i prefer something to nothing. even if i don't give her credit for working hard at non tokenism, i applaud her for making any effort at all over none.

edit: which is to say, consider that she wasn't super thoughtful about critical issues and social inclusion when she wrote the books, but she can do something- anything- now. low effort, but given the platform likely not low-effect.

Organichu on
  • Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    prestidigitation is also magical doo doo cleaning

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Organichu wrote: »
    i guess i'm less concerned with her getting credit than with her giving some kids a little bit of inclusion in a huge, huge, culturally dominant IP. i'd prefer good representation that is thought out and intentioned. but i prefer something to nothing. even if i don't give her credit for working hard at non tokenism, i applaud her for making any effort at all over none.

edit: which is to say, consider that she wasn't super thoughtful about critical issues and social inclusion when she wrote the books, but she can do something- anything- now. low effort, but given the platform likely not low-effect.

She's barely putting in low effort in, though. And she no excuses not to do research RE: Native Americans, but at least they're showing up in works. Not to mention the new films will be a collaborative effort with herself, the director/s and actors, so they should have more opportunities to fill in the gaps instead they shrugged their shoulders and practically put a target on their backs voluntarily regarding LGBT. Even lame attempts at diversity are usually working harder than this.

edit: Not allowing Dumbledore or any other LGBT characters represented in one of the biggest franchises on the planet is a big affect.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Having a Jewish wizard raises some weird questions about religion in the wizarding world that I'm just not sure we're ready for

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    VH blows it so bad even Widget is sad.

https://clips.twitch.tv/TenuousPiliableFennelTriHard
    Henroid's "dude you're doing it" just as he falls.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Writing fiction is already about juggling 16 million balls at once and trying to only drop half of them, so I can definitely understand missing some boxes on the diversity checklist

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    yes i'm sure jk rowling could be a more thoughtful human being, like most of us. by all means encourage her to do better. my claim is that her trying to retroactively pepper the potter universe that most people know (ie the 7 books) isn't necessarily an effort to score progressive points, or whatever. she could just be trying to do some good in the world and not be doing as perfect a job as we'd hope.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Having a Jewish wizard raises some weird questions about religion in the wizarding world that I'm just not sure we're ready for

That didn't stop Rowling from coming up with Native American schools of magic that existed before European settlers who also coexisted peacefully with the European settler wizards.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Well, someone being jewish doesn't necessarily mean they're religious.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    Writing fiction is already about juggling 16 million balls at once and trying to only drop half of them, so I can definitely understand missing some boxes on the diversity checklist

True, but the new movies are a perfect springboard for more exclusivity on minorities that didn't appear. She's also been doing this in her new fiction works, so why suddenly put on the brakes now? Plus, she's not working alone, this is a film series not a novel series.

• Options
    I guess there’s three answers she could have said:
    A) There was at least one (between one and several) jewish student at Hogwarts
    B) There were none
    C) I’m white and due to that I didn’t really think about race and diversity until 2010

C is probably the actual answer but might take a bit longer to convey over twitter, A and B easily makes people upset in different ways. There’s not inherent malice in C but it would also make people upset, JK seems like a nice person, but it’s been way too easy to stick to your own perspective.

• Options
    C) doesn't seem that likely given the (noticeably token) presence of Parvati Patil etc

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    C) doesn't seem that likely given the (noticeably token) presence of Parvati Patil etc
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/dec/17/jk-rowling-confirms-that-there-were-jewish-wizards-harry-potter

No Wiccans allowed.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Wizards celebrating Christmas already raised a bunch of questions, and Goldstein probably rolled his eyes every time a person said it was purely secular.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Husbear and I argue about this. He thinks it’s great that Dumbledore is retcon gay because of exposure. I found it tokenistic and cowardly since she never explicitly wrote it out.

This discussion has been closed.