As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Florida School Shooting - At Least 17 Killed in Parkland

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited February 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/florida-high-school-shooting/index.html

Your monthly American mass shooting is another school shooting in Florida. Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland in Broward County, specifically. Suspect is detained, an 18 year old former student at the school.

Developing story, obviously. Thought we should have a thread for it.

EDIT: DO NOT watch any of the student video if you are easily triggered by gunfire. It is fucking terrifying.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I said this in the gun control thread already, but as an Irishwoman, the photos of parents with ashes on their foreheads waiting to find out if their children are still alive are just fucking destroying me.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Sigh.

BBC News are reporting “at least” 12 dead. The suspect is a former student of the school. He is in custody.

*edit* Update. On BBC World News they’re saying it’s 17 dead. Urgh.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    This country is broken.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    This thread is for talking about the event only. We have a separate gun control thread to talk about gun laws.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Parkland is basically Newberry. Last place you'd expect this from.

I live like ten minutes from there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

After Sandy Hook I'm pretty sure we can retire this line of thinking in America.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Is there even anything to say anymore?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Can we make like Japan and outlaw them yet?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Suspect now being identified as Nikolas Cruz, 19 years old, not 18. Previously expelled for disciplinary reasons.

• Options
    I don’t think anyone on this board is from the area but if anyone does happen to have family there the assembly point is Heron Bay golf club?

• Options
    I don’t think anyone on this board is from the area but if anyone does happen to have family there the assembly point is Heron Bay golf club?

I am, no one I know from there thankfully.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Suspect now being identified as Nikolas Cruz, 19 years old, not 18. Previously expelled for disciplinary reasons.

It seems the students knew him and were afraid of him. Many of them identified him as the shooter before it was confirmed, and none of them seem surprised. There are going to be a hell of a lot of questions to answer when the dust settles.

As for the casualty list, 12 people were killed inside the school, two outside, one on a street described as “near” the school and two of the injured died in hospital.

There are three people in critical condition, according to medical personnel giving a press conference just now.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Even the gallows humor about thoughts and prayers and how nothing will change is tired at this point.

• Options
    Oh right, kid had an AR-15, because of course he did.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

After Sandy Hook I'm pretty sure we can retire this line of thinking in America.

Nope, because the school is in Florida. A state with lax gun laws and a 'shall issue' attitude.

This is EXACTLY where you would predict such an incident to occur. And the data continues to bear that out. The more guns you have, and the more lax your gun laws are, the more school shootings you have. If you want school shootings to stop, pass strict and wide ranging gun laws and make them as close to illegal as possible.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Social media warning: there are three videos from inside the school doing the rounds, none of them particularly pleasant. Descriptions of each spoilered if you can handle reading about them but would rather not watch.
    The first shows kids sheltering in a classroom as a SWAT team enter with their guns drawn and yell instructions at them as they raise their hands. One child is visibly shaking, and several are whimpering in fear.

The second shows kids hiding in a classroom, screaming, swearing and crying as very loud gunshots are heard in the background. Apparently the person who took this video uploaded it to Snapchat. He also took a photo of the classroom computer with bullet holes clearly visible in it.

The third is only three or four seconds long, but by all accounts is the most graphic. It shows a pair of legs clad in black pants and shoes lying on a blood smeared floor. The rest of the body is obscured from view by a desk.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I honestly tried to be angry and I couldn't sustain it. It just doesn't fucking cause any reaction besides "yes, this happened again."

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

This shit is practically formulaic, which is terrifying on it's own.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    And there goes any feeling of relief I had earlier today that a school shooting was averted (source: King5 news, local NBC affiliate).

Aaaaaand death toll now at 17...fuckin' hell.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

Speaking of, here's The Onion's formula:

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1823016659

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I honestly tried to be angry and I couldn't sustain it. It just doesn't fucking cause any reaction besides "yes, this happened again."

Honestly this is me too

There is no answer to this sort of thing except intangible thoughts and prayers and maybe teaching all public school teachers how to be Neo in the event of a school shooting

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Just yesterday I saw an article about Remington filing for bankruptcy in the US. Cynically, I wondered when the next mass shooting would be that would throw gun control back into debate there again (mass gun sales follow mass shootings like clockwork).

Not even 24 hours later, it turns out.
    shryke wrote: »

But remember, even though it's the same thing every time, we couldn't possibly do anything to stop this.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Just yesterday I saw an article about Remington filing for bankruptcy in the US. Cynically, I wondered when the next mass shooting would be that would throw gun control back into debate there again (mass gun sales follow mass shootings like clockwork).

Well, I mean. Shooting is a hobby of mine. Used to do it as a sport back in college and I occasionally shoot with peers and my past two Battalion's sniper section for sport. I kinda feel obligated to buy the next big purchase everytime these events happen because I'm not sure whether my hobby is going to evaporate overnight.

As for Florida . I haven't read into it just yet. I just got home from work and need to catch up on today's news cycle. I'm going to assume our Florida shooter used an AR-15, had signs of deteriorating mental health, nobody took his social media broadcasts seriously/investigated him, and he ended up shooting up his high school? After hearing about the story today via headlines, I wouldn't say I'm angry. I'd say I'm fatigued. America continues to ignore mental health and mandatory, in depth background checks because we like to pretend mental health isn't a serious issue and hope the problem goes away on its own.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Every time this happens, I get to wonder if my job is going to evaporate overnight. Maybe this is the time Texas will pass laws allowing teachers to carry in schools, and there goes my career.

Forgive me if your hobby nets you little sympathy today.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »

Well, I mean. Shooting is a hobby of mine. Used to do it as a sport back in college and I occasionally shoot with peers and my past two Battalion's sniper section for sport. I kinda feel obligated to buy the next big purchase everytime these events happen because I'm not sure whether my hobby is going to evaporate overnight.

As for Florida . I haven't read into it just yet. I just got home from work and need to catch up on today's news cycle. I'm going to assume our Florida shooter used an AR-15, had signs of deteriorating mental health, nobody took his social media broadcasts seriously/investigated him, and he ended up shooting up his high school? After hearing about the story today via headlines, I wouldn't say I'm angry. I'd say I'm fatigued. America continues to ignore mental health and mandatory, in depth background checks because we like to pretend mental health isn't a serious issue and hope the problem goes away on its own.

Well the good news is based on history you may have the most secure hobby in America

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Waffen wrote: »

Well the good news is based on history you may have the most secure hobby in America

It's the only dangerous sport protected by the Constitution!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    I’d planned to sit up and watch some of the Winter Olympics, but I’m watching this on BBC World News instead.

Particularly chilling, one student at the school (who said “everyone knew” the shooter wanted to hurt people) said the shooter had been through active shooter drills at the school, so he knew exactly how everyone would react and where they would go.

*edit* Found video from a local TV station.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I’d planned to sit up and watch some of the Winter Olympics, but I’m watching this on BBC World News instead.

Particularly chilling, one student at the school (who said “everyone knew” the shooter wanted to hurt people) said the shooter had been through active shooter drills at the school, so he knew exactly how everyone would react and where they would go.
    Two thoughts on this.
    1. While that sounds scary, most active shooter drills are pretty common. So anyone aware of the layout of a building could probably figure it out without being specifically trained for that buildings procedure.
    2. For most shooters at schools or businesses, isn't the shooter usually a current or former student or employee?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Your monthly American mass shooting is another school shooting in Florida. Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland in Broward County, specifically. Suspect is detained, an 18 year old former student at the school.

EDIT: DO NOT watch any of the student video if you are easily triggered by gunfire. It is fucking terrifying.

It isn't monthly. This is the 10th school shooting of 2018 where individuals were struck by bullets, 18th overall.

It's February.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

It isn't monthly. This is the 10th school shooting of 2018 where individuals were struck by bullets, 18th overall.

It's February.

I guess mass casualty shooting would be more accurate, yes.

• Options

It's February.

I know I'm getting in the weeds on this one, but 10th? In the BBC article, they reference Everytown for Gun Safety's report that "It is the sixth school shooting incident in 2018 that has either wounded or killed students, according to the advocacy website." (Source: BBC, a news agency). Or were the other 4 where non-students were injured/killed?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Erlkönig wrote: »

It's February.

I know I'm getting in the weeds on this one, but 10th? In the BBC article, they reference Everytown for Gun Safety's report that "It is the sixth school shooting incident in 2018 that has either wounded or killed students, according to the advocacy website." (Source: BBC, a news agency). Or were the other 4 where non-students were injured/killed?

The fact we're wondering if this is the 6th or the 10th school shooting 45 days into the year is so batshit insane.

I don't even have the faculties to express how I feel that this conversation has the ability to exist.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

It's February.

I'm getting it from ABC. I would imagine the specificity of the claim regarding students is likely the reason for the difference. Similar to 18 shootings, but if it only hit a wall that doesn't really "matter" in the same way.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    The only numerical values in which that should make any kind of difference in thought is one vs. zero. And even then just because no one got shot or died doesn’t mean it isn’t a serious issue.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

*edit* Found video from a local TV station.

I was about to say, in high school I was voted most likely to shoot up the school and I didn't, but upon reflection, yeah some mental health checkups would have been useful.

• Options
    edited February 2018

It's February.

I'm getting it from ABC. I would imagine the specificity of the claim regarding students is likely the reason for the difference. Similar to 18 shootings, but if it only hit a wall that doesn't really "matter" in the same way.

Gotcha...I was trying to figure out what would cause the difference (when typing up my post, I noticed the specificity of the BBC article).

It's February.

The fact we're wondering if this is the 6th or the 10th school shooting 45 days into the year is so batshit insane.

I don't even have the faculties to express how I feel that this conversation has the ability to exist.

My response to this starts veering into gun control discussion, but I'll just say that when rifles can be purchased by any 18-year old with a valid government-issued ID and can fill in the right bubbles on his/her NICS form, the ability for this conversation to exist is a near given.
    The only numerical values in which that should make any kind of difference in thought is one vs. zero. And even then just because no one got shot or died doesn’t mean it isn’t a serious issue.

This would be true if I were trying to argue that there's a difference. As it was, I was only asking for clarification on what I saw might have been a numerical discrepancy. As an analyst, those catch my eye and I'd like to know what's causing it.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    It sickens me that school shootings have become business as usual in the US. I feel helpless in the endless eb and flow of the current geopolitical climate that has led us down this path. Talk isn't going to solve this. No one wants to take action. It's going to keep happening over and over until it doesn't even register on the national news anymore. We've normalized the sort of brutish violence that marks the decline of every great civilization. GG America. We had a good run.

• Options

British journalist. From several mass shootings ago.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    From the outside all I can really do is watch with numb fascination.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    From the outside all I can really do is watch with numb fascination.

Not much different from those inside.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
This discussion has been closed.