As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Once more [Into The Breach], dear friends, once more;

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    That Steel Judoka team sure is a huge pile of shit.

I feel like for a team based around getting bugs to hit each other it doesn't have nearly enough tools to get bugs to hit each other.

I did the grind for the Unwitting Allies achievement and promptly dumped them because it was just not fun at all.

Huh. I just finished a 3-island run on Normal, and found the Steel Joduka to be perfectly fine, and fun. Some of the solutions you have to come up with are rather interesting.

I did not get the achievement for having vek kill 4 other vek, though.

Had I not had the 3-perfect island and 'don't let the grid drop below 4 power' achievements already, I'd have gotten them in that game.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I like Judoka. You need to care about monster action order way more than with other groups, but having two artillery units is great even if one if them's just a pull. Stick Camila in the Judo mech, draw web attacks from scorpions, then walk away and deal with an enemy that is actually relevant.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Judoka never clicked for me, and was tied for Hazardous as my least favorite team, until I figured out the strat for the latter was "GO FUCKIN HAM."

edit: actually now that I think about it, that kind of impulsiveness is probably the exact reason I don't fuck with SJ

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Triple artillery (rocket, rock, stock) ended up very silly. Went for a three island win and by the end of the last turn I didn't take any actions with my mechs because there was only one Vek left and the tank took care of that.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I had that "all the enemies start frozen and randomly thaw out instead of burrowing" mission and for the first time ever entered the last turn with no enemies left at all. That was neat.

Also the Lightning prime is outrageously powerful. I think I heard someone poopoo the building chain before but it did a TON of work for me.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I had that "all the enemies start frozen and randomly thaw out instead of burrowing" mission and for the first time ever entered the last turn with no enemies left at all. That was neat.

Also the Lightning prime is outrageously powerful. I think I heard someone poopoo the building chain before but it did a TON of work for me.

I don't see that squad is viable without that upgrade. Otherwise you'll have to be real sneaky with the other mechs or your lightning mech will do more damage than the Vek..

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I can only see myself playing Blitzkrieg if their artillery stsrts with 3 HP or their ram mech comes with the "any repair repairs all mechs."

Its too easy to nuke your artillery in one hit unless you totally backline it.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I don't see that squad is viable without that upgrade. Otherwise you'll have to be real sneaky with the other mechs or your lightning mech will do more damage than the Vek..
    Lightning Whip cannot damage buildings under any circumstance. Without the upgrade, it neither damages nor chains to buildings. With the upgrade, it chains through buildings but still doesn't damage them. The primary thing the upgrade does is dramatically increase the number of situations where you have no choice but to hit your tank or your artillery (the latter being one-shotted without a health upgrade). Occasionally I missed out on a vek hit or two, but never in a circumstance where it was a deciding factor in whether or not I lost an objective or took grid damage.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    milski wrote: »
    I can only see myself playing Blitzkrieg if their artillery stsrts with 3 HP or their ram mech comes with the "any repair repairs all mechs."

It's an artillery, I already always backline it. I actually just did my first four island victory that happened to be with Blitz, and I only got into a situation where I had to hit my artillery once--on the fourth island where it had a health upgrade from its pilot. It's pretty avoidable in most situations.

And you're supposed to be using the hook mech to chain it further. That's why it has armor.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Blitzkrieg is lightning/boulder/grapple, the ram is from another team.

Blitzkrieg and Rusting Hulks are my faves so far.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    All I know is that you haven't lived until you've chained lightning through three goos, four buildings, and two scorpions on a corporate HQ mission.

Also, I finally managed a Rift Walker victory. Brought in a leveled-up
    Mafan with an extra +1 Reactor
    as my time traveler, so I was able to get dash online immediately, and switch to +2 damage within the first few missions. On the first island, 4 damage attack means, "Select the pistol, and then, select your vek."

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    All I know is that you haven't lived until you've chained lightning through three goos, four buildings, and two scorpions on a corporate HQ mission.

I had exactly this happen and it was amazing.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    I got the ten chain achievement and it felt so good.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    QlSbuva.jpg
    It is done. Haven't tried a run as the secret squad yet, but they look interesting, and I wonder how exactly they work if you aren't allowed to pick a pilot with them.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    QlSbuva.jpg
    It is done. Haven't tried a run as the secret squad yet, but they look interesting, and I wonder how exactly they work if you aren't allowed to pick a pilot with them.
    They get xp as if they had generic pilots, but can lose xp if they die to account for not having a pilot to kill.

They take the reactor penalty on all gear other than their starting weapons too. The starting weapons are real good if maxed though.

Beetle is iffy, other two are solid. The flyer is pretty good.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I feel like I'm bad at this game.

I'm watching some streamers play on Easy right now. I am...at least not the worst at this game.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It is really stressful to watch streamers play this.
    "Okay, so if I move this guy down and hit him-"
    Chat: no don't do it the fire will kill it before it can attack
    "Then I can push this guy up here-"
    Chat: you'll move its attack to the factory, you need to defend that
    "Then I just have to punch it with this guy. A building'll get hit, but otherwise I'd have to take damage."
    Chat: you're on last turn, you can take damage
    "Okay. [does it]"
    Chat: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    This is also me when I am editing my gameplay videos. XD

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I really should turn that "killed my pilot twice" moment into a gif...

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options

Quoting this to remind me to post the clip of Beaglerush teleporting in front of his own train twice. It's amazing, because there is something about that specific configuration of problems ("bug standing in front of train, I have teleporter, can move bug out of the way without wasting any of my damaging attacks...") that makes it super hard to stop your brain from coming back to it over and over again, even once you've identified the flaw.

• Options
  • Options

It's like watching monkeys play chess.

• Options
    The best part is, if you're familiar with Beaglerush, you know he's actually a tactical (video game) genius. Dude is a beast at XCOM, PUBG, and Into The Breach.

Which makes it all the sweeter.

• Options
    Into the Breach: What’s wrong with my brain?!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

Quoting this to remind me to post the clip of Beaglerush teleporting in front of his own train twice. It's amazing, because there is something about that specific configuration of problems ("bug standing in front of train, I have teleporter, can move bug out of the way without wasting any of my damaging attacks...") that makes it super hard to stop your brain from coming back to it over and over again, even once you've identified the flaw.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why you always ignore the train mission.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I laugh because I definitely have done that 'fuck up, reset, fuck up in exactly the same way' thing before

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I always do the train mission, haven't had problems with it yet.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I always do the train mission, haven't had problems with it yet.

I love the train mission because it's the most distilled "oh fuck I can't possibly save this" and then you figure out how to save it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Just made a run with the Hazardous Mechs. Early in the run I made a misplay, with no resets, that lost me 1 grid power. I remember thinking "If that one power costs me the game I'm going to lose my mind."

Well.

I had 1 power left, against the Vek's final shot, on the final turn of the final mission. Guess what happened.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Train missions seem by far to be the hardest to perfect.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Welp, all 3 pilots I've got on this run got +1 reactor as their first level up. Conservation of Karma means I'm doomed.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

It's super easy if you're using ice team, or all ice artillery. You just freeze the train too.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »

It's super easy if you're using ice team, or all ice artillery. You just freeze the train too.

It both stops it from moving AND protects it!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I did my 'Win with 3 of the same mech class' game with the Pulse Mech, Gravity Mech and Swap Mech.

That was fun, no way to damage anything besides pushing things into other things, or making them kill each other, or pushing them into environmental kills.

Quick 2-island win on Normal.

I recorded the final island fights, if anyone's interested. No sound, for some odd reason, but you can watch me puzzle out how to go about what to do.
    Science Mechs, Bitch!

If you watch it through Dropbox's player, it's limited to 15 minutes, but if you download it, it's the full fight.

kilnborn on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It both stops it from moving AND protects it!

Frozen Titans is the cheesiest god damn team, doubly so if you have Mafan, good lord.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    It's the best. At the end of every game I get to admire all the ice sculptures I made before moving on.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular

Freezing a satellite launch OTOH causes it to fail to launch and you'll lose the mission (I... I just wanted to see what would happen).

• Options
    Pushing a frozen unit should make it slide until it hits something

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Alright I've beaten the game with every squad on normal, and beat hard first try with the Rusted Hulks.

Not sure I'm too keen on grinding out the squad achievements to be honest, I really want to see that secret squad though.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Hard mode is surprisingly not that rough, finished my first attempt with the Rift Walkers. Didn't mind the extra Alpha Vek as I got lucky and picked up and A.C.I.D tank after the first island

steam_sig.png