Options

The only good movie thread is a dead [movie] thread

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Just wanna reiterate Game Night might be my favorite theatrical comedy I've seen since Popstar

It's a pitch perfect style parody of David Fincher (and The Game in particular of course), as well as showing some clear Edgar Wright influence

It's really very, very good and I cannot overstate how much Jesse Plemons damn near runs away with the entire movie, plus it's always nice to see Lamorne Morris

I'm actually very ignorant of the David Fincher style (other than watching that YouTube vid demonstrating how he does his thing), what do I need to know to further appreciate what Game Night does?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Holy shit that end gag is dark but hilarious

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I certainly wasn't expecting to see a Monty Python's Meaning of Life gag in a child's movie

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I certainly wasn't expecting to see a Monty Python's Meaning of Life gag in a child's movie

I'm pretty sure that rabbit actually
    explodes instead of vomiting

Spoiling a trailer feels stupid but people are weird so

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I feel like for awhile Disney (and Pixar) movies have had gags for kids and also weirdly dark ones for adults, maybe because so many adults sans children go to these movies.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I thought that's what happened in Meaning of Life, too, but it's been a while

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I totally thought they were going for a Review reference for a moment there

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

It is

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

It is

Well that tells you my knowledge of Meaning of Life

oh no I've been outed as a fake geek boy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

It is

Boo this man!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

It is

The Anglophile police have been alerted

• Options
    I have such a weird relationship with monty python

My mom LOVED monty python and tried to get me into it when I was like, 8 or 9, and I just always thought it was the corniest shit, always hated it

And now apparently people hate it because it got quoted to death but like, by people in my generation? Who were much much too young to have seen it when it came out so like

Do people in nerd culture just absorb monty python somehow? How are they even presented it? Does everyone's Mom love monty python?

• Options
    It was on tv pretty often when I was a kid, so I just grew up with it like any other show

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    It's very played out.

On a different note, is it funnier when Austin powers says "YEAH BABY!!" or "Oh BEHAVE!!"?

• Options
    edited February 2018
    See with me it was specifically Holy Grail that got quoted all the time
    Life of Brian and the TV show less so, and almost nobody had seen Meaning of Life
    But I still don't know how Holy Grail was introduced to them. The nerd and theatre kid circles pretty much overlapped in the Venn diagram of my school so I assumed it was some confluence of those two things

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I have such a weird relationship with monty python

My mom LOVED monty python and tried to get me into it when I was like, 8 or 9, and I just always thought it was the corniest shit, always hated it

And now apparently people hate it because it got quoted to death but like, by people in my generation? Who were much much too young to have seen it when it came out so like

Do people in nerd culture just absorb monty python somehow? How are they even presented it? Does everyone's Mom love monty python?

I think my aunt showed me Holy Grail for the first time? My dad also liked Monty Python a fair bit too though, I definitely watched some with him as well.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Holy grail seems like the thing that every high school sophomore nerd passes down to high school freshman nerds as a rite of passage.

• Options
    It's very played out.

On a different note, is it funnier when Austin powers says "YEAH BABY!!" or "Oh BEHAVE!!"?

Oh behave
    100%

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah the problem is almost exclusively Holy Grail, at least in the circles I've run in

But those circles involve people who play Dungeons and Dragons and/or work at a renaissance faire

So that's essentially to be expected

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Somehow I've never seen Monty Pyton or Kids in the Hall, but I've watched Mr. Show nearly a dozen times

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

It is It’s!

https://youtu.be/063jQAM6N8I

• Options
    I feel like Monty Python saturation died off about a decade ago, to be honest.

Like, it’s still around, but I don’t think it’s particularly obnoxious any more.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I had an older cousin who was a big fan of the tv show when we were younger, and he used to quote his favorite lines to me all the time, which led me to renting the movies from my local video store when I was in high school.

I know it's kinda viewed as the odd one out, but Meaning of Life will always be my favorite of the bunch.

I've still only seen, like, two episodes of the actual tv show.

edit: HA also I just remembered this one time in middle school when friend of mine gleefully reenacted for me the entire Black Knight scene from Holy Grail, playing both parts, when I told him I had not yet seen the movie.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The thing about Ready Player One, and Earnest Cline's work in general, is that it's entire modus operandi is straight up mentioning or quoting superior works of fiction. Like, that book makes Family Guy look like high art. At least there they bother to actually recreate the things they're borrowing wholesale. Cline just straight up writes "it's exactly like this other thing". He managed to write a best-selling book that offloads all of the actual creativity and effort to other products. It's actually perfect for modern advertising.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Just wanna reiterate Game Night might be my favorite theatrical comedy I've seen since Popstar

It's a pitch perfect style parody of David Fincher (and The Game in particular of course), as well as showing some clear Edgar Wright influence

It's really very, very good and I cannot overstate how much Jesse Plemons damn near runs away with the entire movie, plus it's always nice to see Lamorne Morris

I'm actually very ignorant of the David Fincher style (other than watching that YouTube vid demonstrating how he does his thing), what do I need to know to further appreciate what Game Night does?

Very dark and moody lighting, stories about obsession, a foreboding synthy score

I'm sure I'm missing some

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The thing about Ready Player One, and Earnest Cline's work in general, is that it's entire modus operandi is straight up mentioning or quoting superior works of fiction. Like, that book makes Family Guy look like high art. At least there they bother to actually recreate the things they're borrowing wholesale. Cline just straight up writes "it's exactly like this other thing". He managed to write a best-selling book that offloads all of the actual creativity and effort to other products. It's actually perfect for modern advertising.

Ready Player one did one good thing and that was make me read snow crash instead

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    the most weirdly pervasive bit of austin powers for me is that anytime I drink coffee with almond milk or creamer I think "it's a bit nutty"

and then i get a smile on my face, because I remember that he drank hot shit

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Is Austin Powers or Borat more played out

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I quote this a fair amount in my home:

scott-evil-119702.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Well that's a very leading question

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    as a large man I still am reminded of Fat Bastard.

by other people.

Constantly and without invitation.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    My favorite quote from the first Austin Powers might just be Dr. Evil describing his childhood.

"My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe, with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum. It's breathtaking. I suggest you try it."

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I had a history teacher attempt to have some sort of "fun" with the class by showing us The Holy Grail, after a half hour of the blankest laughless faces in the history of blank laughless faces he relented

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    like eighty percent of my hatred of nerds comes multiple very vivid memories sitting in honors classes in high school and having the whole class saying "ni" to each other over and over before the bell rang

it was like some goddamned children of the corn cult shit and i'd crawl into my skin every time.

and that was before they started quoting every goddamn line from the movie to each other.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    They showed us Monty Python and the Holy Grail in history class in 6th grade.

Everyone really enjoyed it, it was actually a whole thing all the teachers were dressed like middle ages people too that week, and then one day we had a beef stew for lunch in bread bowls and sparkling apple juice.

• Options
    I like Monty Python and find contextless quoting of their bits to be the height of obnoxiousness. Nerd shit is great but it attracts the worst fuckin' people I swear to god.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Guys guys guys
    50 Shades of Grey is on netflix and it's so dumb and I love this dumb stupid movie I can't stop

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

It is wafer thin

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    like eighty percent of my hatred of nerds comes multiple very vivid memories sitting in honors classes in high school and having the whole class saying "ni" to each other over and over before the bell rang

it was like some goddamned children of the corn cult shit and i'd crawl into my skin every time.

and that was before they started quoting every goddamn line from the movie to each other.

I remember my nerd friends getting actively shocked at me that I didn't like the movie, like id said a racial slur or something

This discussion has been closed.