As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MLB] The Stove is HOT

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Christian Yelich broke his kneecap and is out for the season. Javy Baez broke his thumb and is likely out for the remainder of the regular season. It's been a few years, but it looks like Cardinals Devil Magic is back

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Damn

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Ouch, the sound it makes when it hits him...

https://www.mlb.com/video/culberson-hit-in-face-by-pitch-x7148
    Atlanta Braves utility man Charlie Culberson suffered multiple facial fractures after being hit on the right cheekbone by a 91 mph fastball on Saturday, the team announced Sunday.

Culberson has been cleared to travel from Washington to Atlanta, where he will meet Sunday with the team's doctors to determine the next steps in his treatment, the team said.

• Options
    the Cubs scored 31 runs in two games to give me false hope and then anthony rizzo hurt his ankle :(

• Options
    in brighter news the Cubs have now scored 41 runs in this series against the Pirates, and it's only the fourth inning of game three

be interesting to see how many Cubs players get beaned today!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    in brighter news the Cubs have now scored 41 runs in this series against the Pirates, and it's only the fourth inning of game three

Jesus, this so bad I bet some Reds get beaned too

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Angry and myself are currently embroiled in the closest fantasy playoff matchup I've ever seen.

• Options

The Cubs scored 47 runs over the course of the series, which is a new franchise record.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Mike Trout is out for the season with foot surgery, not that the Angels were going anywhere this year, but I was hoping to see Trout hit 50 HRs and lead the AL. He still has an excellent shot at MVP with the numbers he ended with, ignoring all those 'but its not a playoff team!' whiners over what is an individual award.

(She/Her)
  • Options

The Cubs scored 47 runs over the course of the series, which is a new franchise record.

they only scored eight tonight time to pack it in for the season

• Options
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Wonder where in Lee County? That's where I'm from.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Affidavit in the case. NSFW descriptions

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Affidavit in the case. NSFW descriptions

Fucking gross

• Options
    The Cubs are done for the season, I believe. Maybe not mathematically, but it's the wrong time of the year to drop five games in a row at home. And I...have no idea what this team looks like next year. They don't have one or two big problems, they have a bunch of small problems, and you can't fix them all. Letting Joe Maddon go won't solve anything; he made some bad calls in the bullpen, but there were hardly any right ones to make. How do you solve something like not hitting with runners in scoring position? How do you fill multiple problems with the rotation?

I'm guessing Maddon is done. A lot of the roster is probably gone. I have no idea who, though I'd be stunned if Rizzo, Bryant, Contreras or Baez left. I'd guess Zobrist probably retires? Maybe? Fuck, who knows, it's a mess.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I hears somewhere that they were planning on dropping Maddon even if they made the playoffs, which is sort of insane. He is a good manager.

I think Cubs just got on the unlucky side of variance. That home/road split is sort of insane.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Teams can read Kimbrel, that's not doing the Cubs any good

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So Maddon goes to San Diego, I assume.

If I wanted a core to build around, I'd probably go with Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Contreras. Darvish, Hendricks, Quintana for the starters. Fuck if I know what to do with the bullpen.

Castellanos has been great, but being in Tiger Country, I'm not sold on him long term.

Maybe Darvish can help Kimbrel stop tipping his pitches.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    So Maddon goes to San Diego, I assume.

If I wanted a core to build around, I'd probably go with Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Contreras. Darvish, Hendricks, Quintana for the starters. Fuck if I know what to do with the bullpen.

Castellanos has been great, but being in Tiger Country, I'm not sold on him long term.

Maybe Darvish can help Kimbrel stop tipping his pitches.

The only thing stopping Maddon from going to the Mets is probably their potato headed owners (unless they hire Girardi, which is also a saavy unMets move).

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    The Cubs have been unlucky this year (per ESPN they're about 7 wins below their expected win/loss thing. the Brewers are...eight above it, the bastards). Their run differential is +112! They shouldn't be so close to .500. But you know, you lose a lot of close games when your bullpen struggles the whole year. I'm guessing part of why their road/home split is so bad is that at home they have an extra chance to fix things when the bullpen fucks up? I'm sure someone will put together a good postmortem for this season at some point.

Mostly I've been pretty zen about it, since they still have Addisson Russell on the payroll and at least the team's owners won't get a bunch of playoff ticket sales to use to fund their Trump superPAC

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    alright but what's their run differential when you remove all the Pirates games

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    +80!

also Kris Bryant just fucked up his leg trying to beat out a double play in a probably meaningless game

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    +80!

also Kris Bryant just fucked up his leg trying to beat out a double play in a probably meaningless game

Nearly 30% of your differential coming from one team is probably a bad sign!

Also dang that sucks.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    +80!

Also dang that sucks.

Wonder how that run differential percentage works for say...the Yankees and Orioles.

• Options
    Obvious save situation, but closer is suspect.

So leave Darvish in, and he proceeds to give up the lead.

I give up.

• Options
    +80!

Also dang that sucks.

Wonder how that run differential percentage works for say...the Yankees and Orioles.

Cleveland and Tigers, too

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Presenting, your 2019 Keeper League Champ.

It's me, again!

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    In other news we've decided to fold the league.

• Options
    Raijin won by European rules, as is just and right

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Guys I think the Pirates are bad

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    So are statistics without context

• Options
    The Pirates are as bad as contextless stats!

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Someone in the replies to the quoted tweet pointed out the Cubs played 12% of their games against the Pirates, and that probably matches the Cardinals and Brewers numbers, too. So they got a boost from the Pirates, though maybe not that significant of one.

Either way, the tweet I posted is a response to someone making a bad argument, and it's pretty similar to a discussion we had in the thread. Thought it was interesting to have some actual numbers to attach to the discussion

And some other teams beating up on division foes:

The 12% of games thing applies here, too

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    The Diamondbacks have been eliminated from the playoffs.

• Options
    So have the Cubs! And probably the Mets, I haven't checked.

And Clint Hurdle is still going to manage the Pirates next year:

He has two years on his contract and the Pirates are cheap, that's the only reasonable explanation for this

• Options
    Nice, looking forward to the Pirates having more bench-clearing incidents than wins

• Options
    Ugh

The owners being cheap is the only explantation

This discussion has been closed.