As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MLB] The Stove is HOT

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Angels are starting this season early. Already one pitcher injured at the start of spring training and out 4-6 weeks.

Oh god... Who is it?

Justin Anderson

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Angels are starting this season early. Already one pitcher injured at the start of spring training and out 4-6 weeks.

Oh god... Who is it?

Justin Anderson

Oh ok. I have Griffin Canning and Andrew Heaney in fantasy so you scared me.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    fe7hnrzhok0n.jpg

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    its going to be a hard year for altuve and bregmann, and it should be

let the benches be cleared

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    its going to be a hard year for altuve and bregmann, and it should be

let the benches be cleared

Houston and Boston can at least be thankful they don't play the Dodgers during the regular season in 2020.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Houston, hire me to do your PR. You’re real shit at it, and even though I dislike y’all I can at least put the correct series of words together to make it sound like you’re actually sorry.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So that rule change at first blush seems really impactful but someone actually tallied up how often it would impact the game and it would have been 1 in 3.74 games last season

So this rule change won’t change current strategy much, won’t add much new strategy, and will decrease game time by an average of 3.5 minutes every 3.74 games, so like 1 minute less per game

There you go

Houston should totally hire Nirya too and definitely not fire him after he slips in a “fuck USC” in one of the releases

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    So that rule change at first blush seems really impactful but someone actually tallied up how often it would impact the game and it would have been 1 in 3.74 games last season

So this rule change won’t change current strategy much, won’t add much new strategy, and will decrease game time by an average of 3.5 minutes every 3.74 games, so like 1 minute less per game

but it will impact 1 in 1 games in the AL East, decreasing my total watch time by 35 million hours per week

so it rules and is good

but yes if you're like a colarado rockies fan or something then this rule change would be in fact quite inconsequential

• Options
    7pv0ze7fj14l.jpg

I mean, who hasn't jacked it a Dollar Tree parking lot?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    7pv0ze7fj14l.jpg

I mean, who hasn't jacked it a Dollar Tree parking lot?

Me I've never done that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dollar General?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have some class. I only masturbates in Five Below parking lots.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I have some class. I only masturbates in Five Below parking lots.

Always a cold weather thing with you Minnesotans.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    At least now you know the blue jays exist

Lol I was gonna say that sounds like a ‘Florida Man’ thing...then saw it occurred in Florida, so all is well.

Dixon on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    when in florida, do as the floridians d--actually wait no

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Dusty Baker wants MLB to pre-intervene against pitchers throwing at Astros hitters.

We Cheated, Deal With It, And Can We Also Get Inside Pitching Protection Under Threat of Suspension This Season? is some next-level assholery.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    nah, throwing at people is dumb and it would be right for the MLB to push down vigilante justice in this case.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    nah, throwing at people is dumb and it would be right for the MLB to push down vigilante justice in this case.

Light punishment, no contrition, then bring the hammer down on retaliation.

Sounds about right.

• Options
    edited February 2020

Light punishment, no contrition, then bring the hammer down on retaliation.

Sounds about right.

Saying that the MLB are cowards for not giving them a harsher punishment is valid and probably correct.

Saying that because they didn't the accused should get beaned with 90mph bludgeons is not.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Nobody should ever be intentionally thrown at.

That is way too dangerous to be fucking around with.

• Options

I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but Astros players gonna be at the plate looking like the Michelin Man in 2020.

• Options
    Springer more than Altuve? I might take that action.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

I can think of a few

• Options

I can think of a few

Fortunately Aubrey Huff retired.

• Options
    Springer more than Altuve? I might take that action.

Altuve harder to hit.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

If this is what it takes for MLB to step up the punishments for intentionally throwing at guys I'm for it.

It looks bad and it's shitty it took this to finally push them that way, but the light punishments for intentionally throwing at batters has been a problem for a while now.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    How would anyone prove someone is intentionally throwing at them, and it wasn't an inside pitch that the pitcher lost control of?

• Options
    How would anyone prove someone is intentionally throwing at them, and it wasn't an inside pitch that the pitcher lost control of?

therein lies part of the beauty of baseball

in ANY case, the people who have absolute control over who gets hit and why and how often are the Houston Astros. they have declined to exercise this power. So the players will sort it out on the diamond. Good. I'm definitely tuning in for that shit

• Options
    I guess you could penalize the pitching team for a struck batter

But you would need to establish some rules, like no part of the batter except their hands and arms could be between the batters box and the plate

Maybe?

And the batter must attempt to evade the pitch, or there is no foul

Maybe?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    They already penalize the pitching team for a hit batter. He gets on base. There's no easy answer, just don't intentionally throw at guys...but pitchers are so velocity focused nowadays that they don't have the control they used to, so hitters are going to have to wear armor. MLB ain't gonna change the rules unless someone dies.

Maximum on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    maybe this can go hand in hand with what I think the next major change to the game should be

MLB should stop juicing the ball and just lower or move back the goddamn mound already

99MPH fastballs + juiced ball = uppercut swings. that is why we have the offensive style we have right now

take the juice out of the ball, move the mound, and let's back to real baseball, not homerun derby+20mph

bonus: harder to hit guys dangerously, particularly if you move the mound back instead of just lowering it

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Maybe?

That's already a rule on the books. Having watched Tim Wakefield for his entire run in Boston it felt like there would be at least 1 or 2 instances every year of an ump disallowing a HBP on a knuckleball because the batter made no effort to avoid it. It definitely happens. It's just way more prevalent with knuckleballers for obvious reasons.

Masamune42 on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

I reckon the Astros have a way of knowing what pitch is coming

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Masamune42 wrote: »

Maybe?

That's already a rule on the books. Having watched Tim Wakefield for his entire run in Boston it felt like there would be at least 1 or 2 instances every year of an ump disallowing a HBP on a knuckleball because the batter made no effort to avoid it. It definitely happens. It's just way more prevalent with knuckleballers for obvious reasons.

6.08b in the rulebook, for those wondering.
    6.08 The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when—
    (b) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball; If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched. APPROVED RULING: When the batter is touched by a pitched ball which does not entitle him to first base, the ball is dead and no runner may advance.

Though I think some leniency should be considered when facing a knuckballer. Ain't nobody know where that shits going and you can't bail every single time it looks like it might hit you.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    I am aware a batter who is struck by a pitch is given a base

I was suggesting a harsher penalty on the pitching team

Like if the pitcher hits two batters, they're removed from the game

This would probably lead to teams jumping in front of pitches though

• Options
    I am aware a batter who is struck by a pitch is given a base

I was suggesting a harsher penalty on the pitching team

Like if the pitcher hits two batters, they're removed from the game

This would probably lead to teams jumping in front of pitches though

Formalizing it is an option, but don't umps already usually give a warning for the first batter hit and eject on the second? And, again, the point of posting that ruling was to stop that last line from happening. If batters start leaning into them the ump can just say "tough shit, take your welt and a ball."

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Ultimately it's going to be up to the umps. Some umps are going to have shorter fuses for if/when they issue warnings i.e. pre-game, during a game after a batter gets hit, etc. or if they go straight to ejections.

Some umps aren't going to care as much and may let the players sort it out themselves i.e. zomg bench clearing brawl, how could we not have seen this coming, panic, fines later.

Huh...
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Caught a local news segment about some player who got traded to the Phillies from... I think it was the Nationals? Anyway, it's always weird to me how local media treats trade-in players (not just Philly, you see it with other areas too). They talk about it like it's an arranged marriage, and they're the blushing bride seeking assurances that he's committed to making this work.

It's a paying gig, and they are professionals; they'll do their best in the hopes of getting better pay down the road, or a better job offer elsewhere.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    in case anyone hasn't seen it,
    https://youtu.be/Xq3-PnIkQCk

• Options
    Guess what?

There are baseball games being played tomorrow!

This discussion has been closed.