Options

The Ol' Boob Tube Variety Hour Spectacular: Featuring Frasier!!!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Didn't Sci-Fi already have a Perfection series with Burt that went like five episodes?
    It was just called Tremors, i think, and it was pretty bad

This looks pretty good

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    If you picked Tress Mcneille you could probably cover a huge number of episodes of animated shows, and video games.

500+ of the Simpsons
    122 futurama
    71 pinky and the brain
    Anything animaniacs with Dot in it.
    I'm pretty sure she did English voices for several ghibli movies.
    The first 2 fallout games

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I am very upset this didn't get picked up

That song choice is perfection.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    He isn't in the film/television industry, but I could easily see me switching out Lynn Stalmaster for Shigeru Miyamoto.

That'd basically safely wrap-up all of my video game needs for the three years.

You'd get every Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, & Poke'mon game and stuff like GoldenEye 64 & Super Smash Bros.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    I'd pick five casting directors

Oh yeah Allison Jones is a must-have for me.

This gets interesting, because casting directors do give you access to a great number of different shows and movies. They don't always give you as much of some of those as you might hope for though. Allison Jones is credited for Parks and Rec, but only for 6 episodes. 43 episodes of The Office. 30 episodes of Family Ties. Only the pilot for United States of Tara.

Pretty great selection of movies and shows for her though.

She's a casting director. She was instrumental in assembling some of my favorite ensemble casts in television. She's a huge part of the reason that shows like Parks and Rec and Brooklyn Nine-Nine are what they are. The number of episodes she's in the credits for has nothing to do with her impact on the shows.

You're absolutely right that it has nothing to do with her impact on the shows - she deserves all the credit in the world for what she did for those shows, and others. But for this prompt's purposes, you'd only have access to what she's credited for officially - which is the first 6 episodes of Parks and Rec, and no others.

Yeah fair, I didn't read the prompt carefully enough. Shame, too, it's nearly impossible to accurately capture writers through official credits. And there's a lot of production staff that simply doesn't get the due they deserve. There's probably a grip out there who's been key to all my favorite shows and no one even knows their name.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'd pick five casting directors

Oh yeah Allison Jones is a must-have for me.

This gets interesting, because casting directors do give you access to a great number of different shows and movies. They don't always give you as much of some of those as you might hope for though. Allison Jones is credited for Parks and Rec, but only for 6 episodes. 43 episodes of The Office. 30 episodes of Family Ties. Only the pilot for United States of Tara.

Pretty great selection of movies and shows for her though.

She's a casting director. She was instrumental in assembling some of my favorite ensemble casts in television. She's a huge part of the reason that shows like Parks and Rec and Brooklyn Nine-Nine are what they are. The number of episodes she's in the credits for has nothing to do with her impact on the shows.

You're absolutely right that it has nothing to do with her impact on the shows - she deserves all the credit in the world for what she did for those shows, and others. But for this prompt's purposes, you'd only have access to what she's credited for officially - which is the first 6 episodes of Parks and Rec, and no others.

Yeah fair, I didn't read the prompt carefully enough. Shame, too, it's nearly impossible to accurately capture writers through official credits. And there's a lot of production staff that simply doesn't get the due they deserve. There's probably a grip out there who's been key to all my favorite shows and no one even knows their name.

Greg

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    greg the grip, huh

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    For those who loved Santa Clarita Diet - check off Better off Ted, which I think is just on Hulu now. Same creator.

It may be my favorite comedy ever.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    The only downside to Better Off Ted today is some of the absurd cartoonishly evil corporate stuff it comes up with seems more realistic than ever (well there's also a handful of jokes that uncomfortably punch down, but that's not too commonplace at least)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I feel like Lorne Michaels is a good pick.

You'd get 30 Rock, Kids in the Hall, Late Night With Conan O'Brien, Saturday Night Live, and any of the SNL-connected films.

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    For those who loved Santa Clarita Diet - check off Better off Ted, which I think is just on Hulu now. Same creator.

You will spot some familiar faces, if you do this

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Alright my 5 would be:

John Williams
    Stan Lee
    Nolan North
    Aaron Spelling
    Paul McCartney

John Williams and Stan Lee have been covered.

Nolan North gives me just a ridiculous number of great video games. Also some cartoons and even some live action television and movies.

Aaron Spelling. Charmed - 162eps. 7th Heaven - 221eps. Beverly Hills, 90210 - 248. Sunset Beach (90's soap opera) - 524. Melrose Place - 219. Dynasty - 217. Hotel - 115. The Love Boat - 249. T.J. Hooker - 90. Hart to Hart - 111. Fantasy Island - 153. Charlie's Angels - 109. Starsky & Hutch - 92. S.W.A.T. - 31. And so many more shows that only lasted a season or two.

Paul McCartney gives me all of his music, including with the Beatles. More importantly, it gives me every movie or episode of television that has used a song by Paul McCartney or the Beatles. His IMDB page alone has 932 credits for Soundtrack. I haven't been able to top it for sheer variety. Tempted to opt for someone else that would guarantee more quality though.

• Options
    mxmarks wrote: »

You will spot some familiar faces, if you do this

Yeah Portia de Rossi is pretty recognizable

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    If you put Mark Burnett on your list you'd have all 452 seasons of Survivor and could probably watch 3 years of it nonstop, 24/7.

Jerry Bruckheimer would give you access to all the CSIs and such, as well as a heck of a lot of dumb entertaining movies.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Dick Wolf

• Options
    edited May 2018
    If you put Mark Burnett on your list you'd have all 452 seasons of Survivor and could probably watch 3 years of it nonstop, 24/7.

Jerry Bruckheimer would give you access to all the CSIs and such, as well as a heck of a lot of dumb entertaining movies.

I went back and forth on Jerry Bruckheimer a lot. You also get all of the Amazing Race shows with him and 2 different failed shows with Dylan McDermott as the lead @Zonugal

And I do enjoy a lot of those dumb entertaining movies he produced.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Dylan McDermott was a consideration but I figured he'd be the prize at the end of the three years.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Oh wait, if I pick Mike Lazzo do I get everything that has been on Adult Swim/involved with Williams Street?

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    Oh wait, if I pick Mike Lazzo do I get everything that has been on Adult Swim/involved with Williams Street?

You'd get whatever he is officially credited for.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0494020/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    This one's hard, but here we go. Some choices are pure quantity, some are quality, and some are just me being weird.

JJ Abrams
    Stan Lee
    Michael Schur
    Bear McCreary
    Tina Fey

I figure if I get JJ and Stan, I have plenty of content, so I can get real specific with the other three choices, so this works.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I JUST HAD A STUDENT TELL ME I LOOK LIKE JOEY TRIBBIANI.

MY CURSE WILL SOON BE LIFTED.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Was this student missing their glasses or....

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

Was this student missing their glasses or....

They used their laptop to perform a side-by-side comparison!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Hard not to see this as anything other than Fox starting to shift to a more conservative focus as a network

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Lucifer has been cancelled as well.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Hard not to see this as anything other than Fox starting to shift to a more conservative focus as a network

The most expected of heel turns

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    my five would be:

roger corman
    walter hill
    dino de laurenitis
    c. martin croker
    aaron spelling

@ketar how dare you also have aaron spelling!!!

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Y'all

The tension in a broadcast network building on a day like today is

A lot

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Can't wait for Fox to find out that people still don't want to watch Last Man Standing.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my five would be:

roger corman
    walter hill
    dino de laurenitis
    c. martin croker
    aaron spelling

ketar how dare you also have aaron spelling!!!

ooo, c. martin croker, nice one

man it sucked when he died, that one stung

oh my god when andy merill dies, what will I do

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Alright my 5 would be:

John Williams
    Stan Lee
    Nolan North
    Aaron Spelling
    Paul McCartney

John Williams and Stan Lee have been covered.

Nolan North gives me just a ridiculous number of great video games. Also some cartoons and even some live action television and movies.

Aaron Spelling. Charmed - 162eps. 7th Heaven - 221eps. Beverly Hills, 90210 - 248. Sunset Beach (90's soap opera) - 524. Melrose Place - 219. Dynasty - 217. Hotel - 115. The Love Boat - 249. T.J. Hooker - 90. Hart to Hart - 111. Fantasy Island - 153. Charlie's Angels - 109. Starsky & Hutch - 92. S.W.A.T. - 31. And so many more shows that only lasted a season or two.

Paul McCartney gives me all of his music, including with the Beatles. More importantly, it gives me every movie or episode of television that has used a song by Paul McCartney or the Beatles. His IMDB page alone has 932 credits for Soundtrack. I haven't been able to top it for sheer variety. Tempted to opt for someone else that would guarantee more quality though.

After thinking it over some more, while this list gives me lots of movies, television, video game and comic book options it is super limited in only having John Williams and Paul McCartney for music. And while there was a lot of appeal in the randomness of the movies and tv that Paul brings to the table, that would only go so far. So scratch Paul McCartney. I didn't want a single artist, not even one who may have played with a number of good bands or artists. Instead, I wanted to go with a music producer - someone who would bring in volume and variety, but also quality.

Rick Rubin

In the 80s he brings in LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Slayer, the Cult... and Andrew Dice Clay, among others.

In the 90s he worked with the Black Crowes, Geto Boys, Danzig, Sir Mix-a-Lot, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Johnny fucking Cash, Nine Inch Nails, AC/DC, System of a Down, Sheryl Crow, Willie Nelson, Mel C... and Mr Hanky the Christmas Poo, among others.

The 2000s add Rage Against the Machine, Macy Gray, Audioslave, Jay-Z, Lil Jon, Weezer, Shakira, Neil Diamond, Dixie Chicks, Justin Timberlake, U2, Linkin Park, Poison, Vanessa Carlton, Coheed and Cambria, Jakob Dylan, Metallica, Pete Yorn... and Limp Bizkit, among others.

The 2010s so far add Eminem, Gogol Bordello, Adele, ZZ Top, Lana Del Rey, Black Sabbath, Kanye, Lady Gaga, Ed Sheeran, Wu-Tang Clan... and Kid Rock, among others.

His IMDB page has him credited on movies like Less Than Zero, Pump Up the Volume, Cool World, Last Action Hero, Twister, Can't Hardly Wait, Road Trip, Spider-Man 2, The Raid 2, The Expendables 3 and a host of others as well as tv episodes. Even a few Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero type video games.

So yeah, definitely plug in Rick Rubin in the 5th spot. He brings in a nicely diverse array of musicians (well, at least those songs/albums that he produced), with some bonuses in other media, and takes care of the giant hole of music about as well as I could hope for.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    God, Last Man Standing already had six fucking seasons?

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Six seasons and one joke.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Ted Danson
    Stan Lee
    Rick Rubin
    Shaw Brothers
    Lorne Michaels

Thanks Ketar for the Rick Rubin mention.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I wish I could be a SyFy executive and get paid mid six figures to make decisions like "Let's make an expensive show for nerds but pass on the digital distribution rights"

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Do you think it's possible some exec at Fox just mixed up Last Man on Earth and Last Man Standing, and accidentally greenlit another season for a show they hadn't even been airing?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Another cheat pick for the 5 , if you want video games anyway.

Ryan North.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    my five would be:

roger corman
    walter hill
    dino de laurenitis
    c. martin croker
    aaron spelling

@ketar how dare you also have aaron spelling!!!

I mean, there is just so much fun tv that comes with Aaron Spelling. I've watched every one of those shows I mentioned quite a bit, aside from Sunset Beach. I'd consider swapping him out for someone like Menahem Golan, but it's a sizeable hit in terms of hours of entertainment.

This discussion has been closed.