As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World: New elder dragon event. Squad up!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    furlion wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    So are all armors now one piece == one ability? It would seem like that would make mixing sets a lot easier to pull off.

Not all low rank armors, no. High rank has alpha and beta versions with the alpha having 2 skills and the beta having 1 plus gem slots. And yes they removed the need to accumulate a certain number of points just to activate the ability.

Technically, some Alphas have slots too, just the Betas will have more or higher level slots compared to it. Also, I'm pretty sure there are a few Alphas that only have 1 skill but with like 2 or 3 points, and the Beta has fewer points

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    So are all armors now one piece == one ability? It would seem like that would make mixing sets a lot easier to pull off.

Not all low rank armors, no. High rank has alpha and beta versions with the alpha having 2 skills and the beta having 1 plus gem slots. And yes they removed the need to accumulate a certain number of points just to activate the ability.

Technically, some Alphas have slots too, just the Betas will have more or higher level slots compared to it. Also, I'm pretty sure there are a few Alphas that only have 1 skill but with like 2 or 3 points, and the Beta has fewer points

All of that, in addition to the alpha and beta sets having slightly different looks, has convinced me that I need to collect both sets of all my favorite armor. And then upgrade it.

Capcom really knows what they’re doing.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    The last 5 tempered monster runs I've done have yielded the same gems I get from regular ass monsters. And if not, I keep getting poisoncoat and elementless jewels.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    The last 5 tempered monster runs I've done have yielded the same gems I get from regular ass monsters. And if not, I keep getting poisoncoat and elementless jewels.

And then I meld them and get the exact same decos back 90% of the time.

I just need to run tempered and not worry about it so much but still. . .

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    I mean I guess it's less RNG than wishing for a perfect stats 3 slot charm from the previous games, but I consistently get jewels I only need 1 of, or the same gems over and over, like Palico Rally.

• Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    I mean I guess it's less RNG than wishing for a perfect stats 3 slot charm from the previous games, but I consistently get jewels I only need 1 of, or the same gems over and over, like Palico Rally.

I did a 4 slot tempered investigation this morning which yielded, and I kid you not, FOUR FUDGIN' PALICO RALLY DECOS.

*devours controller in rage*

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The Desire Sensor laughs at my want for a Free Element decoration.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

I did a 4 slot tempered investigation this morning which yielded, and I kid you not, FOUR FUDGIN' PALICO RALLY DECOS.

That was definitely recording worthy!

• Options

Part of the issue was there were ways other then going on a full hunt to get charms.

Now if all you are after is decos you need to commit to a hunt to roll the rng wheel.

Don't get me wrong I love hunting but sometimes I just want to zone out and work on sets and I miss that.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

yeah thats about as bad a beat as you can get.

Im nearing 200 hours and just waiting for dlc. Wheres my deviljo?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do really like the reach on long sword for just about all mobs, sometimes I'd hit Kirin when he pranced by me but the slash just reached him. Hell I tripped him doing that once.

You're making me want to turn longsword and be like everybody else. I love my dual blades to death, but I *am* jealous of weapons with more reach.
    If it helps, picture your combo finisher getting stuffed by a roar
    Dual Blades has a similar problem. Turn on Demon Mode, start the main combo, get 1 hit, ROAR... ROAR... watch your stamina deplete while you recover, turn Demon Mode off, run around like a squirrel on coffee.

I was farming Daora last night as a DB. Adding in the constant wind staggers and zoning was annoying. I need to start carring flash bugs for him, because 3 flash bombs ain't enough solo.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Someone said this week?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    March 9th, I believe is what I saw somewhere.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options

With how much I see you online and playing, you were the person I least expected to kill the monster in a capture quest, specially with me doing the "Stop stop stop!" emote. Why are you like this with me Mojo? </3

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Yay, I got my first warrior’s streamstone, useful for Dual Blades :biggrin:
    Time to farm materials for Fire & Ice (only need 3 Daora horns).

I guess for rapid hitting weapons (lance, SnS) you use Health Regen?
    Though if I ever get a stone for the LBG, I’m going to smack affinity on my Karma, just because I can :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    for some reason i doubt deviljho will be in that hunt 20 small monsters quest

but maybe ill be surprised

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Fought tempered Kirin for the first time.

Holy crap, that is one infuriating fight.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Yay, I got my first warrior’s streamstone, useful for Dual Blades :biggrin:
    Time to farm materials for Fire & Ice (only need 3 Daora horns).

I guess for rapid hitting weapons (lance, SnS) you use Health Regen?
    Though if I ever get a stone for the LBG, I’m going to smack affinity on my Karma, just because I can :biggrin:

Health regen is based on motion values of the attacks, so it's just as useful on slow, powerful weapons as it is on faster, lighter weapons!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I wouldn't put it on SnS though. Way too easy to heal any number of ways that you are better off doing something else with that stone.

• Options
    CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

well to be fair, it's a 9* "collect 10 unique mushrooms" quest.

it's probably just going to be a bunch of tempered monsters, but it seems especially Deviljho-esque to crash the party during "A Simple Task"

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Calebros wrote: »

it's probably just going to be a bunch of tempered monsters, but it seems especially Deviljho-esque to crash the party during "A Simple Task"

Either that or Five tempered Bazel at once.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Each time you collect a mushroom it summons a bazel.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Each time you collect a mushroom it summons a bazel.

This would be the MH:World equivalent of thermonuclear war.

Your console would just shrug and melt into a pile of radioactive sludge.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm still wondering what Deviljho armor they'll use for World:

Ninja/Professional Wrestler w/ Facemask?
    Or Pirate/Jojo Character w/ Cool Hat?
    Or "Something New"?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    JoJo, please

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I wouldn't put it on SnS though. Way too easy to heal any number of ways that you are better off doing something else with that stone.

What would you suggest for S&S? Attack? I've been bouncing between the Turkey Leg (Barroth club) and the Grand Barong

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2018

With how much I see you online and playing, you were the person I least expected to kill the monster in a capture quest, specially with me doing the "Stop stop stop!" emote. Why are you like this with me Mojo? </3

I fell asleep at the wheel and was trying new weapons!

Of all the people it had to be you....

i almost threw the controller when that happened.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited March 2018

What would you suggest for S&S? Attack? I've been bouncing between the Turkey Leg (Barroth club) and the Grand Barong

If you just want damage, your first augment should usually be Affinity. The difference is marginal but it's the better one for making your numbers better over time.

Stolen from a tweet I made regarding the Val Hazaak greatsword:
    The formula I use is Average Attack = TS(1+AC)

T = true raw
    S = sharpness modifier
    A = affinity%
    C = crit multiplier%

At TR 200, crit boost level 3, white sharpness, and no Weakness Exploit:

Aff boost = 200x1.32(1+0.1x0.4) = 274.56
    Att = 205x1.32(1+0x0.4) = 270.6

This should plug pretty easily into any weapon, and is easily adjustable to account for other skills that boost attack or affinity

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I would try to maybe go one affinity and the rest raw?

You could make the case on the Barroth club to go all affinity to remove the affinity penalty.

I am not sure the numbers on it right now.

I mean health won't hurt it at all it's just so easy to heal as an SnS.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    What's nice with the barroth club is that you only need one affinity augment to remove the penalty. It's what I did for my first augment. Mainly did it because I wasn't sure what other SNS I wanted to use at the time, but it's worked out pretty nicely. It's a little unfortunate that it can't get white sharpness but I think that's alright.

Was kind of debating what sort of set would go really well with the Teostra Emblem, since handicraft 5 gets it up to white and it's got that fun blast element.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Is white sharpness more or less limited to handicraft? I know the xeno weapons get a little bit, and a couple weapons get maybe a sliver of it naturally

But generally i.expect white sharpness = handicraft investment?

• Options
    Is white sharpness more or less limited to handicraft? I know the xeno weapons get a little bit, and a couple weapons get maybe a sliver of it naturally

not really. Some weapons have it, some dont.

If you have a sliver of white (and a full bar so handicraft cant help you) you can ignore handicraft and go with sharpness (you get a little shield on your weapon after sharpening-> protecting that white) or the very hard to get protective polish jewel (or easy to get armor).

there's some weapons they purpose built for the player to commit to handicraft (see zorah charge blade that tops out green without heavy investment to handicraft)

• Options
    Yeah white sharpness needs that Handicraft most of the time, and none of the English language resources I've looked at actually list which weapons get how much (or any) white sharpness from different levels of it

There are way to cut down on the investment you need, like Protective Polish and some crit skills, but...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Evil MonkeyEvil Monkey Grover beachRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I do really like the reach on long sword for just about all mobs, sometimes I'd hit Kirin when he pranced by me but the slash just reached him. Hell I tripped him doing that once.

You're making me want to turn longsword and be like everybody else. I love my dual blades to death, but I *am* jealous of weapons with more reach.
    If it helps, picture your combo finisher getting stuffed by a roar
    Dual Blades has a similar problem. Turn on Demon Mode, start the main combo, get 1 hit, ROAR... ROAR... watch your stamina deplete while you recover, turn Demon Mode off, run around like a squirrel on coffee.

I run ear plug 5 in all my db builds minus kirin. It make db so much more fun and enjoyable......
    Edit @Billiardball said everything I wanted toooo.

Evil Monkey on

Evil%20MonQey.jpg
  • Options

If you have a sliver of white (and a full bar so handicraft cant help you) you can ignore handicraft and go with sharpness (you get a little shield on your weapon after sharpening-> protecting that white) or the very hard to get protective polish jewel (or easy to get armor).

there's some weapons they purpose built for the player to commit to handicraft (see zorah charge blade that tops out green without heavy investment to handicraft)

I thought people were saying sharpness wasn’t very important for Charge Blades

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

If you play it right, you have mind's eye up for the majority of the fight. So you don't need to worry about bouncing due to low sharpness as a CB'er

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

If you play it right, you have mind's eye up for the majority of the fight. So you don't need to worry about bouncing due to low sharpness as a CB'er

Look at the new guy talking like a 'vet! :P
    I love it!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options

Maybe affinity? SAED apparently doesn't crit.

Sharpness seems like it's always a nice to have. It's like a 20% damage boost for as long as you have it.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

Maybe affinity? SAED apparently doesn't crit.

Sharpness seems like it's always a nice to have. It's like a 20% damage boost for as long as you have it.

Sharpness does not affect phial damage, so SAED and AED do not benefit from sharpness, from white to green

the sword attacks and non phial axe attacks get sharpness multipliers

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Huh. That makes a stronger case for the Zorah charge blade, which has good stats, and looks cool but has the worst sharpness in the history of the universe

I wonder how that would go with the Blos set bonus