Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

I'm new to PAX, how do I join a tourney?

JemplixJemplix Registered User new member
Hey everyone, as the title says, I'm new to PAX. I do not know how to join a tourney. Do I have to do something in advance, or just go to the tourney when it starts and sign up?

Posts

  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    Jemplix wrote: »
    Hey everyone, as the title says, I'm new to PAX. I do not know how to join a tourney. Do I have to do something in advance, or just go to the tourney when it starts and sign up?

    On the day of the tournament, just head to the area where the tournament is set to take place (pc, tabletop, handheld, so on) and one of the enforcers there will be able to direct you to where the sign ups are. You should do this first thing in the morning on the day of the tournament as popular tournaments tend to fill up fast.

    Unless anything has changed, that's how it's been.

    A1ZOXGR.png
    Jemplix
  • JemplixJemplix Registered User new member
    Solanales wrote: »
    Jemplix wrote: »
    Hey everyone, as the title says, I'm new to PAX. I do not know how to join a tourney. Do I have to do something in advance, or just go to the tourney when it starts and sign up?

    On the day of the tournament, just head to the area where the tournament is set to take place (pc, tabletop, handheld, so on) and one of the enforcers there will be able to direct you to where the sign ups are. You should do this first thing in the morning on the day of the tournament as popular tournaments tend to fill up fast.

    Unless anything has changed, that's how it's been.

    Thanks so much.

    Now is the Minecraft tournament PvP, or...?

  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Registered User regular
    Jemplix wrote: »

    Thanks so much.

    Now is the Minecraft tournament PvP, or...?

    Firstly, welcome to PAX East! I hope you have a great time. :biggrin:

    As far as tourney details go, we typically don't know specifics until the day of. However, some have general details in the Guidebook app (the link is on the main PAX East page) listing for that tourney (ex: Super Smash Bros lists "64 players 4-way FFA").

    There's nothing listed for the Minecraft tournament just yet, but these update frequently so check often. Hope that helps!

  • JemplixJemplix Registered User new member
    Ok, thanks once again. I was also wondering what the age limit is for tournaments. I have a little brother who might want to enter.

  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    As long as the game isn't rated M, he should be fine to participate in tourneys

    A1ZOXGR.png
    Jemplix
  • sirmeepsirmeep Registered User regular
    stupid question, do you have to own a copy of the games for the handheld tournaments or do they have specific stations where all the tournaments are played?

  • JemplixJemplix Registered User new member
    sirmeep wrote: »
    stupid question, do you have to own a copy of the games for the handheld tournaments or do they have specific stations where all the tournaments are played?

    I HIGHLY doubt they would have you bring your own game copy.

  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    sirmeep wrote: »
    stupid question, do you have to own a copy of the games for the handheld tournaments or do they have specific stations where all the tournaments are played?

    For the console tourneys, those are all arranged and set up. For the handhelds, though they have copies of the game to borrow, you might want to bring your own just to be safe.

    A1ZOXGR.png
  • dontdowditdontdowdit Registered User regular
    If someone wanted to go to a PC tourney and wanted to play on an xbox controller, would that be allowed and should you bring your own?

    pkJUKrD.png
  • sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular
    dontdowdit wrote: »
    If someone wanted to go to a PC tourney and wanted to play on an xbox controller, would that be allowed and should you bring your own?

    I believe (someone can correct me) the pc area has Xbox controllers at each of the stations. I remember playing duck game and using an Xbox controller at the time.

  • sirmeepsirmeep Registered User regular
    Thanks for the reply, one last question before I jump in on some random tournaments
    For anyone who has won a video/board game tournament at PAX, what prizes have you seen? Do you get credit for the merch booth,tshirts, random board games?

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The prizes for the PAX-run tourneys are medals. Ones run by external vendors (mostly in Tabletop) have their own prizes that are often bigger, but have an entry fee.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    sirmeep
Sign In or Register to comment.