As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm new to PAX, how do I join a tourney?

JemplixJemplix Registered User new member
Hey everyone, as the title says, I'm new to PAX. I do not know how to join a tourney. Do I have to do something in advance, or just go to the tourney when it starts and sign up?

• Options
    SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    Jemplix wrote: »
    Hey everyone, as the title says, I'm new to PAX. I do not know how to join a tourney. Do I have to do something in advance, or just go to the tourney when it starts and sign up?

On the day of the tournament, just head to the area where the tournament is set to take place (pc, tabletop, handheld, so on) and one of the enforcers there will be able to direct you to where the sign ups are. You should do this first thing in the morning on the day of the tournament as popular tournaments tend to fill up fast.

Unless anything has changed, that's how it's been.

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    Solanales wrote: »

On the day of the tournament, just head to the area where the tournament is set to take place (pc, tabletop, handheld, so on) and one of the enforcers there will be able to direct you to where the sign ups are. You should do this first thing in the morning on the day of the tournament as popular tournaments tend to fill up fast.

Unless anything has changed, that's how it's been.

Thanks so much.

Now is the Minecraft tournament PvP, or...?

• Options
    MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular

Thanks so much.

Now is the Minecraft tournament PvP, or...?

Firstly, welcome to PAX East! I hope you have a great time. :biggrin:

As far as tourney details go, we typically don't know specifics until the day of. However, some have general details in the Guidebook app (the link is on the main PAX East page) listing for that tourney (ex: Super Smash Bros lists "64 players 4-way FFA").

There's nothing listed for the Minecraft tournament just yet, but these update frequently so check often. Hope that helps!

erdub14zr3u2.png

• Options
    Ok, thanks once again. I was also wondering what the age limit is for tournaments. I have a little brother who might want to enter.

• Options
    As long as the game isn't rated M, he should be fine to participate in tourneys

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    sirmeepsirmeep Registered User regular
    stupid question, do you have to own a copy of the games for the handheld tournaments or do they have specific stations where all the tournaments are played?

• Options
    sirmeep wrote: »
    stupid question, do you have to own a copy of the games for the handheld tournaments or do they have specific stations where all the tournaments are played?

I HIGHLY doubt they would have you bring your own game copy.

• Options
    sirmeep wrote: »

For the console tourneys, those are all arranged and set up. For the handhelds, though they have copies of the game to borrow, you might want to bring your own just to be safe.

P0P7S6y.png
  • Options
    dontdowditdontdowdit Registered User regular
    If someone wanted to go to a PC tourney and wanted to play on an xbox controller, would that be allowed and should you bring your own?

pkJUKrD.png
  • Options
    sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular
    dontdowdit wrote: »
    If someone wanted to go to a PC tourney and wanted to play on an xbox controller, would that be allowed and should you bring your own?

I believe (someone can correct me) the pc area has Xbox controllers at each of the stations. I remember playing duck game and using an Xbox controller at the time.

• Options
    sirmeepsirmeep Registered User regular
    Thanks for the reply, one last question before I jump in on some random tournaments
    For anyone who has won a video/board game tournament at PAX, what prizes have you seen? Do you get credit for the merch booth,tshirts, random board games?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The prizes for the PAX-run tourneys are medals. Ones run by external vendors (mostly in Tabletop) have their own prizes that are often bigger, but have an entry fee.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?