As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vulture capital] TRU/Sears/Tribune Memorial Thread of Asmodee being Embraced

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Just a quick reminder/request - I am all for hashing out leveraged buyouts and bank stuff in relation to Bain, but remember to keep it focused on TRU. I think everyone is agreeing that they are being predatory, and should be stopped, but I've seen some good arguments from Tyrannus to not apply the Bain model to all banking.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Just a quick reminder/request - I am all for hashing out leveraged buyouts and bank stuff in relation to Bain, but remember to keep it focused on TRU. I think everyone is agreeing that they are being predatory, and should be stopped, but I've seen some good arguments from Tyrannus to not apply the Bain model to all banking.

Nobody is applying the Bain model to all banking. What people are pointing out is that a system that allows the Bain model to exist is seriously flawed.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    CNN is saying they will start tomorrow. The article didn't say why, just a delay. I'm still going to hit TRU up on Sat to see what's what.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Athenor wrote: »

Nobody is applying the Bain model to all banking. What people are pointing out is that a system that allows the Bain model to exist is seriously flawed.

Yeah but you seem to be upset about the wrapper but not the sloppy mess inside. An LBO is the box and wrapping paper but inside is a bundle of tears and blood. LBO's still lets you aggressively do what you already can do without using an LBO. You probably shouldn't be able to do what you can do now even without the leverage. That's where I'm thinking the problem is.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Yeh, I was going in thinking it would be quiet, get 10% off a vidya and say bye to the store, but it was swamped with angry entitled folks, yelling at the teenagers for wasting their time.

Also confirmed all the Lego had been marked up even higher, so. Whoo. ;P

Toys r us has always been a good bit higher on LEGO sets. That’s nothing new lol.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Toys "R" Us founder Charles Lazarus just died.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    God, imagine living the last days of your life watching your life's work dismantled by vulture capitalism.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/22/news/companies/toys-r-us-founder-obituary/index.html
    Charles Lazarus, who founded Toys "R" Us 70 years ago, died Thursday, week after the company announced it will be forced to shut down its U.S. operations.

Lazarus, 94, no longer had any ownership position in the chain. He started the company as a 25-year old in 1948, anticipating that the post-war baby boom would create demand for baby supplies and toys. He stayed on as CEO until 1994.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Jesus...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    God, imagine living the last days of your life watching your life's work dismantled by vulture capitalism.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/22/news/companies/toys-r-us-founder-obituary/index.html
    Charles Lazarus, who founded Toys "R" Us 70 years ago, died Thursday, week after the company announced it will be forced to shut down its U.S. operations.

Lazarus, 94, no longer had any ownership position in the chain. He started the company as a 25-year old in 1948, anticipating that the post-war baby boom would create demand for baby supplies and toys. He stayed on as CEO until 1994.

Just got to my local store and saw a sign when walking in about the liquidation being on hold. I guess this explains it. Glad they were able to put it on hold out of respect.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

Just got to my local store and saw a sign when walking in about the liquidationbeing in hold. I guess this explains it. Glad they were able to put it on hold out of respect.

Almost certainly not related, although it is a nice coincidence.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Whoever writes reality is one cruel motherfucker.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If anyone thinks Bain made a profit on this deal, they are most likely wrong.

From this article back in September: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-19/bain-kkr-vornado-suffer-wipeout-in-toys-r-us-bankruptcy
    Bain Capital, KKR & Co. and Vornado Realty Trust stand to have their Toys “R” Us Inc. investment erased as the retailer they bought in 2005 for $7.5 billion seeks bankruptcy protection.

The three firms and their co-investors sank $1.3 billion of equity into the takeover of the Wayne, New Jersey-based toy company, financing the rest with debt, according to company filings. The debt included senior loans in which they held a stake.

Partly offsetting the loss is more than $470 million in fees and interest payments that Toys “R” Us awarded the firms over time.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

From this article back in September: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-19/bain-kkr-vornado-suffer-wipeout-in-toys-r-us-bankruptcy
    Bain Capital, KKR & Co. and Vornado Realty Trust stand to have their Toys “R” Us Inc. investment erased as the retailer they bought in 2005 for $7.5 billion seeks bankruptcy protection.

The three firms and their co-investors sank $1.3 billion of equity into the takeover of the Wayne, New Jersey-based toy company, financing the rest with debt, according to company filings. The debt included senior loans in which they held a stake.

Partly offsetting the loss is more than $470 million in fees and interest payments that Toys “R” Us awarded the firms over time.

Key phrase there

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ok but they spent 1.3 billion and only got back 470 million before the company went belly up.

That’s not “Bain made a profit by killing TRU”

That’s “Bain lost 830 million while also killing TRU”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    How much of that debt is magically going away due to the bankruptcy, though?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Ok but they spent 1.3 billion and only got back 470 million before the company went belly up.

That’s not “Bain made a profit by killing TRU”

That’s “Bain lost 830 million while also killing TRU”

The article isn't detailed enough for that conclusion.

We have no idea exactly how much equity came from which source. Depending on the fee income (which is the good sort of income because it goes straight to the bottom line), Bain could have managed a profit on this.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

This is what I was referring to but I didn't have any, like, concrete numbers. But this is what I mean - that asset sat at 1.3 billion, around, divided up by investors, and then kept on going down and down and down.

https://home.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/us/pdf/2016/11/illustrative-financial-statements-pe.pdf

This is a template financial statement for PE firms. Notice on page 6, the Statement of operations, all unrealized/realized gain/loss from the investments hits the bottom line. That means even if they haven't sold the asset, they still recognize any loss the asset has in market value.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Bain is at the end of step 2 in a 3 step process. When you buy a mechanics special planning to use it as an Uber it until it breaks for good and scrap it, you don't say you've lost money when the engine blows up but you haven't scrapped it yet.

Remember, this was an election issue not long ago: That steel mill? Romney's justification was that when it finally went bankrupt, Bain hadn't made half their money back yet. But Bain made a handsome profit from that after step 3.

If anything will endanger their final profits, it will be if manufacturers manage to take back unpaid merchandise, leaving them without most of their top selling items when the markdowns finally start.

Hevach on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Was 10% off most things when we went yesterday. 5% of consoles and other random things. So, nothing worth getting (not that we didn't know that, just confirming from experience).

I'm just gonna assume by the time it gets to like 50%+ off that almost everything worth getting will be gone.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    I went to the store that started closing down a month and a half ago again this Sat. It's up to 60% off now for most items. Video games are only 40% and they did have some, Lego and video game hardware is still only 10%. The store itself was looking really rough. It wasn't picked clean but you could see the bones. Half of the isles were taped off and empty. They had some cool toys left but most of the brand names were gone or just the lame stuff left. They had a whole shelf of Star Wars basket ball hoops, some over prices specialty Hot Wheels cars and car makers, and tons of Minions crap. I was able to find enough toys that looked are are cool to cover for my nieces and nephews birthdays and Christmas for the year. I was able to get a "Only At Toys R Us" Sigma & Ultron Funko Pop 2 pack, a Desert Mission Armor Finn, 4 packs of replacement ink for the Splatoon gun, and 5 Animal Crossing Amiibo. My wife and kid got stuff too.

So waiting about a month seems like the sweet spot. My first trip to this store still had some good stuff and was half off. This time it was a little hard to fill out my shopping list.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Just make sure that whatever is labelled "50% off" is actually 50% off what you could get at a competitor's. Clearance sales are notorious for setting an unrealistic reference price and then calculating discounts from that.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am debating running by the TRU. Might have some cheap Lego Dimensions stuff.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am debating running by the TRU. Might have some cheap Lego Dimensions stuff.

I wish! My store's stock was wiped out in a day when it went to 40% off, all they have left at 60% is some original starters and a whole ton of some Chima guy.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The Amiibo section is all Animal Crossing. Nothing but Animal Crossing.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Can never have too many Tom Nooks

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Should mention again, if you are into amiibo keep an eye out for Chibi Robo. Before the news broke, my store had it on clearance for $8.95, game and all.

• Options
    The selection on Amiibo and Lego Dimensions was bad before the clearance. But both stores I went with had a ton of different Marvel Playmation figures.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Can never have too many Tom Nooks

Buy up dozens of Tom Nooks to sneak into your neighbor's mailboxes if they borrow something for too long.

• Options
    I bet going by TRU will be depressing.

• Options

So that's been hard for me the last week. I've wanted to stop in, say hi to the employees, show encouragement. But when I drive by, the parking lot is absolutely PACKED. And I just know what is going on...

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Yes. Yes it is.
    Depressing to see the empty shelves. Depressing to see the workers realizing they're weeks from being unemployed. Depressing to see the vultures circling. Depressing to remember that I'm just another one of those vultures...

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    When I stopped by I saw stickers on warehouse/floor equipment showing that they are claimed and sold already. Shelving, cashier computers, scanners, and card payment readers.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Geez, this closure seems to be happening at record speed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Geez, this closure seems to be happening at record speed.

Well when you plan to do it for a while...

Also keep in mind that a good chunk of the stores were already announced to close, so they are much further along in the process.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    It looks like the Toys R Us website's shut down, but they shut it down in a weird broken way where when you visit or try to add something to your cart they pop up a redirect to an unprofessional WordPress site. Stupid thing is that if your browser is set up to block that type of shit you don't ever see it and the site works like normal, so you could still technically make orders. Don't know if they'll be honored though.

As an aside, it's both funny and sad to see the ads for Labo on that site, since the company won't last that long at this point (and if they do, no way Nintendo's sending them any).

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Deleted post.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Today's TRU purchases:

PS4 Lumo 10% off $17.99
    WiiU Starfox Zero 10% off $16.18
    Also $10 off with gift card.

Not bad.

Warning. They are marking barcodes with markers.

Edit: I looked on Amazon. It wasn't much of a deal. Good thing I had the gift card.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The CEO of Bratz and Little Tikes is making a bid for Toys R Us.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/13/news/companies/toys-r-us-billionaire-bid/index.html
    Isaac Larian said Friday that he's entered a formal offer of $675 million to buy many of the Toys "R" Us stores in the United States, along with an additional $215 million for Toys "R" Us stores in Canada.

Larian is looking to buy more than 200 of the remaining 735 locations in the US, and almost all of more than 80 locations in Canada, a spokesperson said.

Larian's vision for Toys "R" Us includes turning its stores into entertainment hotspots.

"We will make Toys 'R' Us an experience in and of itself; a fun and engaging place where families can spend an entire day," he said in his statement on Friday. "Imagine a mini-Disneyland in each neighborhood."

In the past, Larian has blamed the demise of Toys "R" Us on its private equity owners, which saddled the company with debt.

"Every penny it made went to paying the debt service," he said in an interview with CNNMoney last month.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    That sort of sounds like they want to turn it into miniature versions of the NYC store or FAO Schwartz?

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Here's a video a user on Resetera made. It's acutely melancholic

https://youtu.be/SyNYt1q5jvk