As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] POTUS Ends SK Military Exercises in Exchange for a Handshake pg 87

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    The US is to expel 60 Russian diplomats as a response to the nerve agent attack in the UK.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Does the President know about this? Did anyone tell him?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I made that EXACT same joke in the Hiberno-Britannic politics thread.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Joke?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's worth noting that they're being taken from Seattle, so this may be a sideways swipe at the left.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The diplomats being evicted from the country are from the UN and the embassy in DC.

The staff at Seattle can apparently remain in the country (presumably at other postings), but the consulate itself was shut down over separate espionage claims.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/03/mofaz-bolton-wanted-israel-attack-iran-180325104020053.html
    Mofaz: Bolton wanted Israel to attack Iran

Israel's ex-defence chief doesn't think this was 'smart'.
    A former Israeli defence minister has said that US President Donald Trump's new national security adviser, John Bolton, once tried to convince him to attack Iran.

"I knew John Bolton since he was United States ambassador to the United Nations," Shaul Mofaz, who served as defence chief from 2002 to 2006, told a conference in Tel Aviv on Sunday.

"He tried to convince me that Israel needs to attack Iran," Mofaz said, the Ynet news site reported.
    This is terribly unsurprising given Bolton always had a hard on for military action.

It also has the benefit of letting some other country do your dirty work for you.
    moniker wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I don't think their has ever been a politician so gifted in diplomacy that they would be able to convince NK to give up their Nuclear weapon's program, particularly not when the US has begun behaving in an unstable warmongering manner.

You might as well ask for the sun and the moon to be served to you on a plate.

I mean, it is maybe possible with a truly gifted diplomat. I saw a rather interesting suggestion of negotiating having China place a Garrison in Pyongyang/DMZ as a non-nuclear deterrent to US forces. Similar to how our nominal troop presence are meant as a deterrent to North Korea invading the South. It would put them under China's nuclear umbrella and make an attack by us more suicidal, while reducing the need for nukes that are less stable.

Instead we have our current horrible reality.

Dude, I'm not sure Charles Xavier could convince NK to give up his nuclear weapon's program.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    War on the Rocks has an excellent piece up about Russian perspectives on the nuclear arms race, likely written in response to Putin's announcement a few weeks back: https://warontherocks.com/2018/03/red-glare-the-origin-and-implications-of-russias-new-nuclear-weapons/ An interesting piece, imo, with specific insights and references to moments in Russian history, for anybody still looking to make sense of the (old) news.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The US is to expel 60 Russian diplomats as a response to the nerve agent attack in the UK.

Honestly I'm kind of eh about this as a response. It directly feeds into the Putin government's narrative of a Russia under siege and I don't see it actually having much come of it.

Seems to me that if you really wanted to punish them you'd go after the wealth of those at the top. Take their investment properties, seize their assets. God knows Russian oligarchs have enough of both in London and New York. Release damaging information about their personal finances and business practices. Make their own citizens loath them more.

But this certainly is easier.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Honestly I'm kind of eh about this as a response. It directly feeds into the Putin government's narrative of a Russia under siege and I don't see it actually having much come of it.

Since they are the masters of "fake news" it's not even worth thinking about. They will feed paranoia to their citizens whatever we do.

As for expelling diplomats, it's not a huge deal. I've been reading news for a lot of years now, and after someone gets caught spying/assassinating, their country's diplomats always get expelled. The Russians do it when our spies get a bit naughty, too.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Since they are the masters of "fake news" it's not even worth thinking about. They will feed paranoia to their citizens whatever we do.

This is some weird Cold War nonsense. Yes, the Russian government will have their spin, as every government always does. But Russians have internet access. They're not drones.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Seems to me that if you really wanted to punish them you'd go after the wealth of those at the top. Take their investment properties, seize their assets. God knows Russian oligarchs have enough of both in London and New York. Release damaging information about their personal finances and business practices. Make their own citizens loath them more.

But this certainly is easier.

We tried that, but the Russians shut down our last attempt.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/why-is-there-an-armored-train-in-beijing-is-it-kim-jong-uns/2018/03/27/2e8346dc-3192-11e8-9759-56e51591e250_story.html?utm_term=.9e7894567250
    North Korean leader reportedly meets with China’s president during ‘unofficial visit’ to Beijing

BEIJING — North Korean leader Kim Jong-un visited China for an unofficial visit this week, Chinese state media confirmed Wednesday.

This is believed to be Kim’s first trip abroad as leader since he came to power in 2011. It came in the run-up to summits with leaders from South Korea and the United States.

This week, the Chinese capital had been gripped by a mystery regarding an armored train that had chugged into Beijing Station on tight security on Monday. Passengers disembarked and boarded limos. After nightfall, a motorcade drove to a state guesthouse where foreign dignitaries often stay.

Chinese netizens looking for answers hit a wall. On Tuesday, three of the top 10 blocked terms on Weibo, a microblogging site, were “Kim Jong Un,” “North Korea” and “Fatty the third,” a popular Chinese nickname for Kim, according to freeweibo.com, a website that tracks censorship.
    Chinese experts said a visit by a senior North Korean leader before the meetings with Moon and Trump made sense.

“At a possibly historic moment, before the start of a dramatic play on the Korean Peninsula, China was losing the spotlight,” said Cheng Xiaohe, a North Korea expert at Beijing’s Renmin University. A visit would restore Beijing’s leading role, he reasoned.

Zhang Liangui, a retired professor and Korea scholar at the Central Party School in Beijing, said, “The North Korea nuclear issue cannot be solved by solely relying on negotiations between North Korea and the United States, because, essentially, the nuclear issue is a regional security issue, not an issue of the relationship between North Korea and the United States.”

So it seems like Kim Jong Un may have made his reportedly first foreign visit outside North Korea to Beijing to meet with Just-Made-Himself-Leader-For-Life-Xi Jinping. It was all done with immense secrecy. I honestly can't tell if this is good, or bad for the whole...you know...north korea nuke situation. But it doesn't feel like a comforting thing to me

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/why-is-there-an-armored-train-in-beijing-is-it-kim-jong-uns/2018/03/27/2e8346dc-3192-11e8-9759-56e51591e250_story.html?utm_term=.9e7894567250
    North Korean leader reportedly meets with China’s president during ‘unofficial visit’ to Beijing

BEIJING — North Korean leader Kim Jong-un visited China for an unofficial visit this week, Chinese state media confirmed Wednesday.

This is believed to be Kim’s first trip abroad as leader since he came to power in 2011. It came in the run-up to summits with leaders from South Korea and the United States.

This week, the Chinese capital had been gripped by a mystery regarding an armored train that had chugged into Beijing Station on tight security on Monday. Passengers disembarked and boarded limos. After nightfall, a motorcade drove to a state guesthouse where foreign dignitaries often stay.

Chinese netizens looking for answers hit a wall. On Tuesday, three of the top 10 blocked terms on Weibo, a microblogging site, were “Kim Jong Un,” “North Korea” and “Fatty the third,” a popular Chinese nickname for Kim, according to freeweibo.com, a website that tracks censorship.
    Chinese experts said a visit by a senior North Korean leader before the meetings with Moon and Trump made sense.

“At a possibly historic moment, before the start of a dramatic play on the Korean Peninsula, China was losing the spotlight,” said Cheng Xiaohe, a North Korea expert at Beijing’s Renmin University. A visit would restore Beijing’s leading role, he reasoned.

Zhang Liangui, a retired professor and Korea scholar at the Central Party School in Beijing, said, “The North Korea nuclear issue cannot be solved by solely relying on negotiations between North Korea and the United States, because, essentially, the nuclear issue is a regional security issue, not an issue of the relationship between North Korea and the United States.”

So it seems like Kim Jong Un may have made his reportedly first foreign visit outside North Korea to Beijing to meet with Just-Made-Himself-Leader-For-Life-Xi Jinping. It was all done with immense secrecy. I honestly can't tell if this is good, or bad for the whole...you know...north korea nuke situation. But it doesn't feel like a comforting thing to me

My guess is that they're figuring out where they stand with regards to trump.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

This is some weird Cold War nonsense. Yes, the Russian government will have their spin, as every government always does. But Russians have internet access. They're not drones.

That is not what I’m saying at all. I’m talking about the spin the Russian government will put on it. People often say “Russia” or “America” when they are talking about politics. It is just a shorthand for saying “the Russian government”, not implying that all of Russia thinks exactly alike.

• Options

That is not what I’m saying at all. I’m talking about the spin the Russian government will put on it. People often say “Russia” or “America” when they are talking about politics. It is just a shorthand for saying “the Russian government”, not implying that all of Russia thinks exactly alike.

Right and so what? Of course they'll spin things that are bad for them in a way that fits their narrative.

The point remains that going after the ruling class's financial assets sends a stronger message and actually hurts them.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Kim Jong Un talking with people outside of North Korea is probably better than Kim Jong Un not talking with people outside of North Korea. It's not like he's going to pick up any bad governance habits from Jinping.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, while China's interests aren't our interests, they are pretty in favor of not blowing everything up. So, IMO it's probably better in terms of the nuke situation, but probably a big blow to the talks that they were going to do with SK

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Yeah, while China's interests aren't our interests, they are pretty in favor of not blowing everything up. So, IMO it's probably better in terms of the nuke situation, but probably a big blow to the talks that they were going to do with SK

I don't know, SK is ok with things not blowing up.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Literally nobody wants anything to blow up outside the White House. North Korea wants nukes for the same reason as everyone else; so they can never use them.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    at least some U.S. outlets are claiming that China has already extracted a promise of denuclearisation... but you'd think that would be the lede on every article and it's not, so I'm not sure what to think

the open question is what china must have offered in exchange, but basically anything is preferable to the last year's worth of belligerence sooooo

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    at least some U.S. outlets are claiming that China has already extracted a promise of denuclearisation... but you'd think that would be the lede on every article and it's not, so I'm not sure what to think

the open question is what china must have offered in exchange, but basically anything is preferable to the last year's worth of belligerence sooooo

Heard it on NPR as well. BBC are the ones reporting it

If china is claiming that I imagine that meeting between Beijing and DPRK was extremely awkward for the former. I can see Beijing likely telling them to get their shit together and cut it out or else they'll walk away.

It does also set the bar high for the summit, and gives them some space in case it fails. It's a smart play really.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

If china is claiming that I imagine that meeting between Beijing and DPRK was extremely awkward for the former. I can see Beijing likely telling them to get their shit together and cut it out or else they'll walk away.

It does also set the bar high for the summit, and gives them some space in case it fails. It's a smart play really.

Or it's a move to internationally embarass Trump, who can reliably be expected to say something offensive enough that NK can fein a huff and pull out, citing US belligerence.

Then backchannelling, China can overture they want the tarriffs gone.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

China is really good at using soft power.

I have no idea what I want when it comes to this meeting. I want it to be successful because if we can reach an agreement, and de-escalate things, that will be great for not going to war with NK.

I also don't want this to embolden trump and his base. I can only imagine how smug he would be.

zepherin on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    zepherin wrote: »

I have no idea what I want when it comes to this meeting. I want it to be successful because if we can reach an agreement, and de-escalate things, that will be great for not going to war with NK.

I also don't want this to embolden trump and his base. I can only imagine how smug he would be.

The outcome where things don't get nuked is still better. And SK has all the reason to do the work and let Trump take credit just to get it going because: Why should they care about US internal politics? The only way that NK gives up nukes is to get reintegration going so that means that SK is putting most of the work anyways.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »

The outcome where things don't get nuked is still better. And SK has all the reason to do the work and let Trump take credit just to get it going because: Why should they care about US internal politics? The only way that NK gives up nukes is to get reintegration going so that means that SK is putting most of the work anyways.

SK probably cares more now about internal US politics then they have at any other point in history given that the current leader of the US is actively antagonizing the guy with scads of artillery and nukes directly adjacent to them.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

SK probably cares more now about internal US politics then they have at any other point in history given that the current leader of the US is actively antagonizing the guy with scads of artillery and nukes directly adjacent to them.

As opposed to....the DC consensus, where guys like Graham and, for that matter, Bolton go nuts? Like, Trump at least can sign something that SK negotiates as long as he's "winning".

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Honestly if china is willing to do for NK what we do for the south put the token battalion of nuke us and everybody dies mode that could give NK enough sense of security to at least pull back on making more nukes.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

As opposed to....the DC consensus, where guys like Graham and, for that matter, Bolton go nuts? Like, Trump at least can sign something that SK negotiates as long as he's "winning".
    And Trump really likes to sign his name to stuff, and have a press conference where everyone watches him sign his name things.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    AP reporter:
    Trump on KORUS renegotiation: "I may hold it up until after a deal is made with North Korea."
    KORUS is the free trade deal between South Korea and the USA. I am not sure what Trump's reasoning might be, but it is probably some attempted power move?

Edit:
    https://apnews.com/962c0bffa39c436e91103e8bea2c6fe9
    Speaking in Ohio, Trump highlighted the renegotiation of the Korea-U.S. free trade agreement. He added: “I may hold it up until after a deal is made with North Korea.”

Trump says the “rhetoric has calmed down” with North Korea, as the two countries have announced plans to meet next month in advance of a possible meeting between Trump and North Korea’s Kim Jong-un.

Trump says he may hold up the agreement “because it’s a very strong card and I want to make sure everyone is treated fairly.”
    This is a really silly threat.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-29/russia-orders-60-u-s-diplomats-to-leave-in-retaliatory-move
    Russia said it’s expelling 60 U.S. diplomats and closing the American consulate in St. Petersburg in a retaliatory move linked to the poisoning of a former Russian double agent in England.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    They haven't announced it yet, but there's a one hundred percent chance that Russia's going to expel seven Canadian diplomats in the next few days, and so on and so forth across the rest of the countries which PNGd Russian diplomats and 'diplomats' recently .

It's gonna be fun watching press coverage be super outraged that the expulsions are precisely tit-for-tat despite the fact that diplomatic expulsions are always always always that way.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    They haven't announced it yet, but there's a one hundred percent chance that Russia's going to expel seven Canadian diplomats in the next few days, and so on and so forth across the rest of the countries which PNGd Russian diplomats and 'diplomats' recently .

It's gonna be fun watching press coverage be super outraged that the expulsions are precisely tit-for-tat despite the fact that diplomatic expulsions are always always always that way.

None of this really seems to address the fact that the Russians likely accomplished their goal anyways, that being deterrence of other whistleblowers/"defectors".

• Options

So, found out some fun little information today:

When the DPRK says "denuclearization" what they say is "denuclearization on the Korean peninsula" which then translates into, and has been stated explicitly by DPRK negotiators to US counterparts in the past, "the removal of the threat of nuclear force against the DPRK" when THEN is translated to "the removal of US forces from the Korean peninsula and removing South Korea from the nuclear umbrella of the United States"

In summation: the DPRK and Beijing saying denuclearization is on the table is literally destined for failure

• Options
    It's Infrastructure Week, so you all know what that means:

Foreign policy!

Emma Ashford is a Research Fellow at the CATO Institute

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    “I’ve always been against the Iraq War. Now put your hands together for John Bolton!”

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Where incompetence meets incoherence. You asked for a miracle theo I give you the Trump ad min.

Good fucking lord just those snippets are wrong in just about every thing he says.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Like, I know it's a figure of speech when he says "no one ever heard of a trillion ten years ago!" but like

yes, we had

our total GDP in 2008 was approximately 14.9 trillion dollars

• Options
    Have Americans been building schools in Iraq? I thought the Iraqi occupation had a very distinct thrust from the Afghani "nation-building" venture, that the American troops in Iraq were also just for "support" and "security" and not "nation-building."

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Trace wrote: »
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-29/russia-orders-60-u-s-diplomats-to-leave-in-retaliatory-move
    Russia said it’s expelling 60 U.S. diplomats and closing the American consulate in St. Petersburg in a retaliatory move linked to the poisoning of a former Russian double agent in England.
    The St. Petersburg consulate was the one that "won" the Russian twitter poll for which to close, too.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.