As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

XBox Controller Support Help

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
edited March 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
Does anyone here have any tips on working with Microsoft support? My son bought a custom controller (those ones Microsoft does with pick your own colors, textures, etc) back in September. In December it stopped working with headsets. We called and were approved for return and told in a few days we'd get a fedex email with return info. We never got it, called back in January and get told the same thing and this has now happened repeatedly over the past few months. No one can actually get us to the point of getting an RA# and shipping address/label to return this thing back to them so they can ship out the replacement. I've talked to a manager who promised me a call back, then never did, talked to their online chat at least 8 times, on the phone I think 3 times now.

Today I was told we're past warranty and they can't do anything else for us. I'm now waiting for yet another supervisor callback but does anyone out there have any tricks on maybe getting support from someone in the US or reaching someone more useful? If it was a regular controller, I would have just bought a new one but this thing was a big gift he bought with birthday money from my parents so it means a lot to him (and it's $100ish to replace).

Edit: I've also tried Tweeting at them twice.

Lindsay Lohan on

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Sadly, if you can't get them to help you through social media you will probably have to sue to get them to do anything. Maybe a letter from an actual law firm threatening to do so will get them to help, even if you have no actual intentions of following through, but I wouldn't be surprised if that costed more than just buying the controller. You could try talking and pleading and try to move your way up the customer service ladder, but it would take some monumental combo of patience, persistence, and luck to get anything done that way at this point.

Edit: Have you tried getting some more prominent social media people you may know to try and get their attention for you? Going the social media route is really about getting a group of people noticing your problem and going "Hey Microsoft, what gives?" If it's just your one tweet in a sea of thousands of other tweets it's hard to get noticed.

Regardless, thanks for the headsup on never buying those controllers.

Veevee on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I don't have any advice on this, but those custom controllers are awful.

Mine keep losing signal at random times and sometimes just shut down for no reason.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    My experience with xbox support has been mostly good. At least the half a dozen times, or so, I had to contact them regarding Xbox live billing problems. Only time they were completely stupidly useless was when I couldn't get the download/installation to work on my 360 for the Elder Scrolls:Oblivion expansions and they told me "I had to contact Bethesda support because that was not their problem".

When you contacted them on twitter did you actually try @XboxSupport? It at least looks like the are responding to inquiries there.

And be firm regarding that "expired warranty". The only date that matters is when you filed the first support ticket!

Siska on