• Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    OR you get dead pixels so one key always says Firefo
    "Hey, what does the Shit key do?"

FreddyD on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How useful it is now? Not very. It has some niche uses and it's a nice toy, something to show off.

In the future, tech like this may become interesting though. The ability to cheaply (This keyboard is now $15/key, if that can drop to say.... $1/key) do this means you can use it on all kinds of machines to make interfaces less cluttered, more easy to grasp etcet. A button with a changing LED under it is a lot cheaper then a touchscreen, and a probably a lot more energy efficient. And probably more durable too. If this becomes cheap, and light, who knows where this is gonna end up.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Another use mentioned in the thread so far has been professional translators, who can change their characters whenever they swap languages.

Also, should the technology ever get cheap enough, it could just become the default standard in areas where multiple languages are used many years down the line. Then again, it'd have to become 287% cheaper.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If I were rich I'd buy one and make every key display a cock.

bruin on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They're so cheap, I might buy 5!

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Wait, so it's in color again?

just the keys on the left side, and the windows key. the rest are black/white only.

Never mind that this is TOTALLY NOT WORTH THE PRICE. if it cost 1/10th, I would probably buy it.......but no, sorry.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »
    This is just dandy until you spill your orange juice in it

My heart literally seized up reading that. Every employee at my company, self included, has destroyed at least one $15 keyboard with careless drinking. When the accountant spilled pepsi on his $75 fancy keyboard that we don't keep spares for, I really, really wanted to slap him. Just once.

The minute I hear the words "$1500 keyboard" and "coffee" in the same sentence, I'm finding a new career.

Hevach on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    so that's where Kutaragi went.

i thought £30 on a Saitek Eclipse was expensive, but.. i'd want this thing to wake me up with a mug of coffee and a kiss or something for that much.

What. I'm lonely :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    EZEZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    One of the advantages of OLED's over LED's is suposed to be a significantly lower cost. I dont see how this is a realistic price.

EZ on
    psn: Fueler325
    Steam ID:
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    EZ wrote: »
    One of the advantages of OLED's over LED's is suposed to be a significantly lower cost. I dont see how this is a realistic price.

Well, for one thing, there must be millions of individual OLEDs on that thar keyboard.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    OLEDs will cost less to make once they are commonplace. As it is, they're a sort of specialty item, and therefore they cost more.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect keyboards like this to be affordable in a few years, but it is now.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    The SaviorThe Savior Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It would be neat if the keys automatically updated. Say, if you have your hands off the keyboard, all the letters would be lower case, but hit shift, and the all capitalize, or if you held control, the "c" key would read "copy" and so on.

The Savior on
  • Options
    EZEZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Savior wrote: »
    It would be neat if the keys automatically updated. Say, if you have your hands off the keyboard, all the letters would be lower case, but hit shift, and the all capitalize, or if you held control, the "c" key would read "copy" and so on.

Thats exactly the kind of stuff that its supposed to do. But is it worth 1500 to do it? I dont think so.

EZ on
    psn: Fueler325
    Steam ID:
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It would cost more than my entire PC.

Fuck that shit.

Id pay maybe 50-60 quid for this, no more. Its a fucking keyboard. After the novelty wears off after like a few days Im still going to be using it to type fucking words, not play with it.

1500 dollars though is pure insanity. Get a 5 dollar keyboard from amazon and then buy a fucking car to drive to the amazon warehouse to pick it up.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would love to show up to PAX with this thing. It is the ultimate epeen item yet.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    One of the major factors of OLED technology is the fact that "Dead Pixels" very rarely exist. As for my thinking, cool concept and really, that's all it should be. If it was to be on Newegg for $1,499.99 people would not be taking it seriously, as they are now. But think about it, these people did something totally new and somehow got it to work. Sure, "$1,500 olol" but I don't think it is fair to knock it because right now it is just too ahead of the technology curve.

TL;DR: It's not for you!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    The SaviorThe Savior Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Savior wrote: »

Thats exactly the kind of stuff that its supposed to do. But is it worth 1500 to do it? I dont think so.

I guess I was only aware that it would change pictures based on what app was open, not based on keypresses. If you're right, then cool, I suppose.

The Savior on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How fast can the screens change?
    Getting keys 1-9 to display spells with global cooldown in your MMORPG of choice would almost(*) be worth it if animation was smooth.
    (*)Almost is defined as "if it cost one 15th"

Also it's dissapointing how crap it looks in comparison to the first concept images

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    I would love to show up to PAX with this thing. It is the ultimate epeen item yet.

Hahahaha, someone should steal it from you if you were dumb enough to bring it.

Urian on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The F-keys are all wrong. I hate when keyboards do that. You think if they're going to charge this much for a keyboard they'd at least get that part right.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.